Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New kitty...

Posted by isis_nebthet 8b/11suns SoCA (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 22, 08 at 11:51

My room mate brought a stray home from the airport. We took it out after two days of it not moving and it peed all over the back of the couch..So she stopped petting it and it went straight out the pet door and jumped off the second story porch...

Between coyotes, 7 neighbor dogs, and my lil Jerry Garcia (pup from last year named because he likes to eat jimson weed. He runs free because he won't come to people but doesn't leave the yard because the other dogs are here..for all I know he's afraid of cats like his dad) I was sure we'd never see Airport again.

The next night I was out sitting on the bench having a ciggy (I need to try chantix) when I saw a fast moving shadow and heard a meow. Pet the cat grab it run up the steps.."hey loose something? want it back?"

They told her it was a boy so she was getting stressed about getting it fixed. I started making calls then decided to double check to make sure he wasn't already neutered. He knew about litter boxes and going to people after all. Turned out it's another girl (she thought they knew what they were talking about when they said it was a boy so she never checked). Fortunately, Airport is a unisex name:)

So the household count...4 wolfdogs, two cats, two snakes, one pomerainian, one fishtank, one pond, and one duck....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New kitty...

LOL, Adrea! That first step is a doozy. I had a cat trying to adopt us do that and she was followed by our german shorthair-beagle mix. The dog didn't even hesitate to follow her. Both wound up going up a tree. The look on the dog's face was priceless when he came back to himself. The cat left by going from tree to tree. Sandy

o

It is best to set the pace with a new cat not to let the dogs chase it. Let the cat chase the dogs!

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 23, 08 at 8:14

Airport (a.k.a. Pee-Diddy...LOL) must know that she's used up one of her lives going off the 2nd-story porch. I hope that scared the tame into her. :D

LOL @ Jerry Garcia! All dogs are afraid of my cat, and she knows it. LOL

Brenda

o

Well, Airport took off again last night....

Hopefully, she'll find me tonight.

o

Please try to get her spayed before she dissappears for good! If your roommate is strapped for cash a lot of local (and not so local) shelters or humane societies have low cost or free programs. And Airport is a GREAT name, she sound smart too if she can keep ahead of the other beasties :)

S

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 24, 08 at 7:51

Cripes, I hope she comes back soon, Adrea. :(

Brenda

o

She was back when I got home last night. I think something needs to be done about the porch. It's only got a railing around it. It works fine for the cat that was raised from a kitten in the house but there's a big difference between that and a stray cat. We can't just close the door off because the cat and dog use it to come inside out of the cold.

o

It's not the drop so much as the surprise. I doubt that a jump that far down would be a problem for her. Once they know it's there they understand ALL the problems and I have seen cats go that distance easily so long as it is a soft landing. I reccomend that any obstacles in the landing zone be removed. Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here