Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleeplessinftwayne

An Explanation of sorts.

sleeplessinftwayne
18 years ago

I must seem a fool to Semper and C3D in particular. I know, I know. That leaves me open to all sorts of negative comments but I think I need to explain. I suddenly had shortcuts appearing on my screen and it appeared to be coming from Semper and C3D. For which I thanked them and started looking for a way to prevent it happening again. Today, two more icons appeared that certainly did not come from them as they appeared to be homework assignments. A couple of calls to the High School located a block from us and it turns out one of the students was trying out a wireless mouse similar to the one I use but a good bit more powerful. The random noise that was appearing on my screen and in my computers memory was coming from a science experiment. I'm glad to say the noise has been turned down so it does not do those things anymore and I can stop laying the blame on the innocent. My apologies all round. Sandy

PS The kid got an A on the experiment but he won't continue using it because it is too bulky. Thank goodness.

Comments (10)

• chickadeedeedee
    18 years ago

Hi Sandy.

No apologies necessary! Thanks for thinking I knew that much about 'puters though. :-)

C3D ©®Ã®Ãà ½

• semper_fi
    18 years ago

PHEWWWW! For a second there I thought she was onto {{gwi:163300}}. :-)

I was under the assumption that all a 'puter mouse (either corded or not) did was report X and Y coordinates. So I'm still curious/interested to know how in the world it could have been sending files/data to someone else's 'puter a city block away! It must have been one helluva powerful transmitter. Very much an OVERKILL I'd say for its designed purpose. But I see you wrote "he won't continue using it...". The kid should be inducted in the exclusive XY overkill fraternity.

-Card Carrying Member

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well this one does a bit more than X and Y. And right now I am fretting because I will be locking the thing up every second minute until I figure out what is at fault. Half the functions I use automaticly DON'T WORK!!!Just going back one page I have locked it up at least 10 or 15 times since I logged on. And just why am I suddenly being asked to log on? That sounds like an iV problem. Please excuse me while I limp over to suggestions and comments to log a query and complaint... Well, maybe I better check a little further before laying blame. That's where I started with this thread isn't it? Sandy

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I got on without being asked to log on and my mouse functions are working again so I guess that lets the kid and iVillage off the hook. So that leaves me with Mozilla/Firefox. I really am not in the mood to figure that out tonight. Why does iVillage ask for logons in Mozilla/Firefox and not IE??? I think it will be easier to figure out why the TV turns on at 4:30 or 5:00 am. Not cable, just the TV. It blares static for a couple of minutes then turns itself off again. Very strange when you are sleepless. I tend to suspect the lady cop behind us and down one. I wonder if her garage door opener is over juiced. Of course I didn't ask where the kid lives. He might have been playing with the opener or the remote control Hi Fi. Those would have a timer on them. What else comes to mind?? When I was running a computer/ electronics store the local kids came up with some wild ideas and of course had to show them off to me. One of those ideas was good enough for an invite to one of the big schools for one of the kids. He decided on a tech school. The other half of that partnership, after rewriting the software for one of the local hospitals for peanuts, decided to go for a degree in English. Then they rewired my store so I could control various systems from my desk in the backroom with one touch of a button. Sandy

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

Frankly, I think it's a poltergeist.

• saigo
    18 years ago

Sandy I'm using mozilla firefox and I don't need to login each time. Its gotta be something else.

• hnladue
    18 years ago

Probably has to do with cookies. And your firefox is not saving them. Your logon info is stored in a cookie (not the chocolate chip kind). Personally I won't use firefox ot any other browser but IE. There are too many issues with other browsers and I've never had an issue with IE.

• youreit
    18 years ago

Not sure about the TV, Sandy (spooky!), but maybe you have some sort of spyware on your computer? Have you tried running Spybot lately? Or run Disk Cleanup and/or Defragmenter? Just in case...

I've only heard good things about Mozilla Firefox recently, but I'm in my comfort zone with IE. I hope you find the problem soon, though!

Brenda

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Checked, double checked and triple checked. Anything that gets through was writen by a genius or two with a left twist by a dummy. Or there was a heck of a power surge. Disc Cleanup gave me pains for a week. Spybot found nothing it wasn't supposed to find and I prefer oatmeal raisin, thank you. Sigh, it used to be I could lay my hands on a degausser, give a snarl and there wouldn't be a blip for a week. Now the gremlins are giving me payback since they know I have only software and wetware and both are out of date. Sandy

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey, Semper. I got carried away and failed to say what my mouse does do. For the most part it does just report or confirm X,Y coordinates. However, it gets a bit excitable by being able to go directly to the various e-mails I am signed into, or will do a search without going into something like Google although it doesn't do it as well. It will open a page on local news or whatever key I set it for or open local white and yellow pages. Of course it has a back function and refresh. I have no doubt my former groupies could have set up more functions but they are long gone into their adult lives and I am long past any serious programing. BTW, those two boys could get Christmas tree lights on top of their school to perform highjinks much like the ones on the house we all enjoyed so much and they did it with mostly recycled stuff. It was amazing what they could do with a junked or outdated 32 or 64K computer. Sandy

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH