Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandmapoo

Chicka or anyone, I forgot and can't find old post

grandmapoo
17 years ago

Chicka gave me advise on giving Tippy aspirin a good while back, but I forgot if she said for the aspirin to be coated or not coated and now I can't find that post. It really helped her and I haven't had to give it again 'til now. It seems her arthritis in her leg is bothering her since she doesn't want to jump up or down on the chair or bed. :(

It seems she said "not coated" because dogs can't digest the coating. Oh, if I could grow new brain cells!

Chicka or anyone??? Thanks

Comments (10)

• comettose
    17 years ago

You can buy specially formulated Dog Aspirin at Pet Supply stores and on-line. I suggest you see your vet however to see if your dog could benefit from prescription medications that are anti-inflammatory and also have pain medication in them. You can also give them glucasomine supplements for joint support. But, talk to you vet.

Don't give them tylenol at all because it will kill them. My vet also does not like people using Ibuprofen either as it can cause liver damage over time.

What brand of aspirin were you giving Tippy before? Just buy the same kind, but I recommend you get your dog to the vet. Dogs get older and needs change, and long term use without knowing what you are doing can be damaging.

Although advice given on this forum (although financially attractive), from whomever, does not replace an actual physical examination of your dog by your vet, nor it's full medical history, including any blood or other tests your vet might want to conduct to find out if there are other conditions to consider first before prescribing any medications.

CT

• chickadeedeedee
    17 years ago

Hiya Poo!

Happiest of New Years to you and yours! :-)

Usually the enteric coated stuff passes through the digestive tract before the protective coating is dissolved by the doggy stomach.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. The dose depends on the weight. Usually you are OK with St. Joseph's Baby Aspirin or something like Ascriptin, which is aspirin with Maalox. Tylenol, Advil, and the others may cause liver damage and will cause horrid stomach ulcers!

How much does your Tippy weigh?

There's other stuff that may help too. As CT states, if in any doubt, trust your real vet! :-)

C still with the standard 3 Ds.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

Welcome back Chickie! Your cheerfullness has been missed. Sandy

• jeanner
    17 years ago

Loooook whoooo'ss bacccckkkkkkk :^)

• chickadeedeedee
    17 years ago

Hiya Sandy and Jean! :-)

Thanks. Too much real life at Camp Nappy these past few months.
    Hopefully things have stabilized to their normal insanity levels.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh the stories I could tell. LOL!

*~*~*~* LOVE *~*~*~* your photographs Jean. Each new picture is somehow better than the last!

Howdoyoudodat?!?!?

C3D

• youreit
    17 years ago

Life is good!! *sigh* Well, except for poor Tippy. But it sounds like Chicka is on the case. :)

It's SO GREAT to see you back here, C3D!! I sure hope we get to see you more often, not only for your help in the pet dept., but because you're a great lady, too. :)

Brenda

• grandmapoo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you everyone.

Thanks C3D. Happy New Year to you too!
    Apparantly, I did just as you suggested before and bought a bottle of St. Joseph childrens aspirin. It was in the cabinet with 2 tabs missing so I was pretty sure that's what I gave her before, but wasn't quite sure. BTW, she's 14 lbs.

It's her old injury (broken leg) that bothers her from time to time with the cold or too much activity. It was completely snapped in half when she was a pup. She still has a pin that had fused with the bone. My vet doesn't recommend aspirin and wants to sell me an expensive anti-inflammatory. Last time, after only two aspirin, Tip was jumping and playing like her usual self. :)

I knew you all would come thru for me and Tip!
    Happy New Year everyone! :)

• chickadeedeedee
    17 years ago

Hi Brenda. Awwwww! How sweet of you to say. Thank you! :-) I think you're a great person too!!!

Hi Poo. Tippy can get anywhere from 1/2 to 1 and 1/2 of the St. Joseph aspirin (81mg size) every 12 -24 hours if needed. You need to be careful if she has kidney problems or if she will be needing surgery down the line. The aspirin will thin her blood like it does for people. If in doubt, ask you vet. :-)

((((((A hug for you and Tippy!))))))

Lemme know if I can help you with anything else.

C3D

• grandmapoo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks CD3. Tippy's doing great. Only one aspirin x 2 days works like a charm.

Thanks for all your help and info. Don't worry, Tippy has regular vet visits and no other issues except her little mammo tumor that has stayed marble size for 6 or 8 months. I will take all your advice into consideration. She's been my little baby girl for 14 yrs, so I really appreciate your help and kindness.

Have a great day! ((((((HUGS)))))) from me AND Tip

• chickadeedeedee
    17 years ago

Hi Poo³.

You're welcome. I wasn't worried a bit because Tippy is in good hands. :-)

Glad she's more comfortable. That's the important thing.

C3D

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH