Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleeplessinftwayne

Murphy, DH , cutting wood and my temper

sleeplessinftwayne
16 years ago

Brenda's post on the storm and Sarah's SIL have made me think a bit more about the smashed roof and tree limb. I don't know of much that has ever made me so angry and every time I remember it I just get angry all over again. To me a double hitch on a broken limb is just common sense and the whole task is a matter of simple physics and geometry. I really need a reminder that what is simple to me is not obvious to everyone. I need to get a life.

Do you think there is a saying somewhere that I could put in a nice frame to remind me that not everyone thinks the same way? After all, I could never manage to take care of animals the way Sarah and Chicky do and training a dog is something that I couldn't manage in a dozen years. That kind of ability amazes me. The kind of thinking I do seems to be much closer to the way a cat thinks. LOL.

How about telling us about your way of thinking and if you have a saying to remind you of the differences between people or to explain how you think. I'm not talking so much about those general prayers such as knowing the difference between the possible and impossible (or maybe I am, if that makes sense). What gets you through the day and gets you back on track when everything seems to be going wrong? My favorites have to be one of the many corollaries of Murphy's Law and the Chinese curse. Sandy

Anything that can go wrong will.

The bread always lands butter side down.

May you live in interesting times.

Comments (14)

• spring217_2007
    16 years ago

Sandy,
    Here's a few sayings that I have heard at one time or another...

God, please help me be the person my dog thinks I am.

You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there. (Yogi Berra)

Sometimes its the smallest things that take up the most room in your heart.

George

• sheepco
    16 years ago

It really is true how differently each of us look on any given situation in every day life. I've never met any of you, but I think I'd have a pretty good time if we ever all got together for a big pond party! Different we are, and that is what makes life interesting!

Reading and Writing are my forte, 'rithametic sends me into cold sweats, (geometry in 10th grade was the 1st time I ever experienced 'bad' grades, and I really struggled in 9th grade algebra), so I bow down to anyone that has the ability to make mathmatics 'simple'.

This is going to be a great thread - there are SO many "life" sayings that apply to our lives. Murphy's law fits most days, but I'm disgustingly optimistic, so I can't agree that 'the bread ALWAYS lands butter side down'...60% maybe...

The saying on the plaque by my kitchen door - I read it many times each day - says:

"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Dogs love and serve unconditonally. I can't do that most days, but I hope that I can be a leader, a nurturer, a friend; that I can laugh and play and work well with others.

That's the sort of thing that makes me greet each sunrise with a smile. (Romantic at heart can ya tell?)

(I know I'll think of a better saying for celebrating our differences as soon as I post this.)

And yes, I agree with Sandy 100%...

"May you live in interesting times".

Sarah

• youreit
    16 years ago

I agree with Sarah that this is a GREAT thread, Sandy! And like Sarah, I'm not so much into numbers, but I am into the reason why some people like numbers....more of the psyche stuff for me, thanks. :D

And before I forget to tell you again, Sandy, I have to say that I am in completely awe of your mind's technical capability! Some of your posts I read are so amazing, and if my mind wasn't so lazy, I'm sure I'd learn a lot from them. LOL

As I get older, I find I'm definitely more tolerant of...not so smart folks. Or folks who do dumb things. I take after my father in that, in the past, I could frequently be heard saying, "I can't stand stupid people!" And don't even get me started about my temper. Yikes! I have a BAD one.

I would also be concerned more with what people thought of ME (I still struggle with crowd issues...), and I'd even become offended when someone didn't agree with me or how I did things. Now, I just try to do the right thing as often as possible, and let the rest take care of itself.

This topic interests me greatly, and I could go on and on...and ON! LOL But one of my favorite mantras is, "You can please some of the people some of the time...etc."

Let's face it, some folks are never happy, no matter what you do.

Oh, and yes, I used to think I was an optimist, too! According to a wonderful counselor I had many years ago, I'm a realist, which is fine with me! :D She wrote this on a piece of paper which I carry around in my wallet.

A Pessimist complains about the wind.

An Optimist believes that the wind will change direction at any time.

A Realist adjusts the sails.

Brenda

• comettose
    16 years ago

The more you understand, the crazier you get.

You can live for many causes, but you can only die for one. Pick that one very carefully.

• maryo_nh
    16 years ago

Heehee! I LIKE this thread.

1. The thought that gets me through just about any situation: "By this afternoon (tomorrow, next week, etc), I will be at the other side of this situation, and I'll be none the worse for wear".

2. At school with a really difficult student, I try to find SOMETHING that endears me to him/her. That helps a lot. Because then I can think: "I like this kid, really, I do" (and then I go to the previous remark about being none the worse for wear). With DH I adjust this strategy to "good thing I love him..."

3. When something crazy/stupid happens: "In about three weeks, we will laugh, and it will be a bonding experience..."

DH's favorites:
    1. (grinning) "The beatings will continue until morale improves!"
    2. (grinning) "Understanding breeds confusion", aka "Sympathy breeds confusion". I don't understand this one (giggle)...

:) Mary

• spring217_2007
    16 years ago

One Christmas I gave my wife a stocking stuffer that consisted of a small book entitled " Live and Learn and Pass It On", by H. Jackson Brown who also put out the Life's Little Instruction Book series. He wrote "I've learned that..." twenty times on a piece of paper and then completed twenty sentences. Then he enlisted other friends to add to his list and broadened the age group to include learning experiences from people age 5 to 95. Here are a few samples...

I've learned that happiness is like perfume : you can't give it away without getting a little on yourself.

I've learned that no matter how thin you slice it, there are always two sides.

I've learned that it's OK to be content with what you have, but never with what you are.

George

• sheepco
    16 years ago

One of my Dad's favorites... "God hates perfection."

Even with all of our differences and flaws, we're all here for a reason.
    And sometimes good enough is the best we are capable of.

'Course Dad usually says it when we're butting heads during a remodeling project, and it's always followed by..."there can only be one boss". To which I say, "yeah, and it's my house." (grin)

Sarah

• jeanner
    16 years ago

EVERYBODY has something to offer in this world, something uniquely theirs - I try to find that in each person and in doing that I help myself to see another perspective.

My favorite sayings are oldies but goodies ...

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

and

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, Brenda, thank you. My face is red now. I can carry on, can't I? I have found that many people don't understand what I am saying so they can't take my advice unless I go into detail. I figure if they really want to understand what they are doing it is a good thing to go into teaching mode. That way they can ignore it if they want and I'm covered. But we are lucky we have so many posters on this forum who can give good technical advice.
    I am frustrated in my search for the Ultimate Murphy Search. Omni magazine was much different when they first came out. We were lucky to get some of those first issues. One of them had a contest for the best Murphy corollaries. The result was my entire family would go into gales of laughter or giggles at inappropriate times. There were over 400 corollaries that were published and I am sorry to say I can no longer find that issue. It isn't on the net either but there are a few sites that have some great ones. Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Murphy's laws and Corollaries

• koijoyii
    16 years ago

My favorite since elementary school:

"Time waits for no man." (I like to add: "woman or ponder") as we all know ponding season is always too short.

Jenny

• sheepco
    16 years ago

I'm suffering from chronic brain chill - hasn't been above 5F in a week. But here's a couple more:

"The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth."

"When I'm finally holding all the cards, why does everyone decide to play chess?"

Supposed to be 20 below tonight, high of 9 tomorrow, but a warm up into the 20's this weekend. WooHoo! shirtsleeve weather!

S

• youreit
    16 years ago

For you Sarah, something my mom always said when I complained about the cold -

"Cold hands, warm heart."

I've always wondered about people with warm hands, though....:D

Hope you're sweatin' by Saturday! LOL BRRRRR!

Brenda

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have often said I have three rules in my garden. The first is "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy", the second is "My garden is a work in progress so leave me alone" and the third is "Murphy rules". Imagine my surprise when I found those or similar sentiments in the Expanded Murphy list. Sandy

• pondgardener
    16 years ago

I ran across this quotation on the earthbox forum and "borrowed" it as it has a good approach to living your life. I wish I had paid attention to some of this a lot earlier as I grew older.

Happiness is a journey, not a destination. So, work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and, dance like no one's watching.

Have an interesting day...