Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Things That Make You go Hmmmm!

Posted by chickadeedeedee z 6-7 ish Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 16, 07 at 18:36

It is fairly well documented that artificial sweeteners are NOT good for pets. NutraSweet is also the brand name for the sweetener aspartame and can make dogs and cats very ill if they eat diet foods which contain them.

Now there was a study published in Veterinary Medicine (Dec. 2006) which states that the sugar substitute XYLITOL causes decreased blood sugar (hypoglycemia) but can also produce acute and potentially life threatening liver disease as well as bleeding disorders.

The ASPCA did a study of eight dogs who had eaten xylitol laden diet food shared with their pets by weight conscious owners and five of the eight dogs either were euthanized or died of liver failure.

PLEASE ... If dieting do not share your diet food with your pets.

Hmmmm ..... If this substitute stuff is potentially toxic to our pets ... what the heck is it doing to US?!?!?

C3D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Things That Make You go Hmmmm!

Try Splenda which is modified real sugar.

o

Splenda, also known as sucralose, is an artificial sweetener which is a chlorinated sucrose derivative. The following is some information I got from the link below. ....

Adverse effects reported in pre-approval research included:

~Shrunken thymus glands (up to 40% shrinkage) (EO56)
~Enlarged liver and kidneys. (EO57 &E161)
~Atrophy of lymph follicles in the spleen and thymus (EO51, EO56, EO151)
~Increased cecal weight (E151)
~Reduced growth rate (EO57)
~Decreased red blood cell count (EO55)
~Hyperplasia of the pelvis (EO57)
~Extension of the pregnancy period
~Aborted pregnancy (E134)
~Decreased fetal body weights and placental weights (EO32)
~Diarrhea

Generally the major problem dogs will encounter when ingesting sucralose / Splenda is violent diarrhea. People can get the same problem if they eat too many of the sugar free stuff.

Best advice ... no artificial sweeteners for your pets to keep them safe as can be. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sucralose / Splenda Toxicity

o

THANK YOU for the great information ChickaD3!! Will pass it on!
Sarah

o

Well, if he was not dead I'd have a few words with Dr. Atkins! In any case, my dog does not eat any of that crap, only I do, with coffee. 1 level teaspoon per day. Thanks for the information C3D. Good to know. CT

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 17, 07 at 8:46

Another thanks here, Chicka! From my Pookie, as well. She's happy that dieting can now be limited in yet another way. :D

Brenda & the chunk-style kitty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here