Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickadeedeedee

Got: Microchip?

chickadeedeedee
17 years ago

I know many Ponders have dogs and other pets. Microchips injected under the skin contain information that can be easily retrieved from a scanner if your pet should wander away from home so you can once again be reunited.

There are studies and numerous reports that indicate there may be problems with the microchips. Various cancers have been associated with the area of the microchip injection. Some equine people will not microchip their horses because of the increased incidence of a particular type of tumor.

Fibrosarcomas at the site of injections have been reported in dogs and ferrets. Cancerous growth at the site of microchip implant in dog and laboratory rodents has been reported also.

When we had three dogs at one time, Connie, Bosco and Heidy Foo-Foo, all three were microchipped.

Connie wandered away one day and was in doggy jail. No one there bothered to check if she had a microchip! She was bailed out the next morning. None of our dogs had any sign of cancerous growths at their microchip site.

Bosco had his for 11 years. Connie for 8 years. Heidy had hers for 10 years.

Maybe it is another case of individuals reacting to a foreign body differently? Everyone needs to decide for themselves what they think is best for their own pet. I got the information about the microchip in an e mail yesterday and thought I'd pass this information along to you.

C3D

Comments (8)

• sheepco
    17 years ago

Good info, thank you CD3.

Some breeders 'chip' all of their pups before they are sold, and Canada (and many other countries) require permenant 'individual' identification for dogs sold over the border (I guess they think 1 black lab looks like any other black lab - humph!). Tattoos or unique markings are accepted, but in many cases microchips are desirable. I hope the incidence of problems is tiny (though any trouble is bad), but I think it's something to share with my clients so they can make a more informed decision.

3 of my 4 dogs are 'chipped'.

Sarah

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

Isn't it always something. Here it looked like a really great way to protect pets. I'm sorry to hear there is a problem. What does the "chip" look like? Is it encased in some sort of container? I would think there are lots of non reactive materials that could be used to enclose it. Unless you know the source is reliable I would wonder if this isn't like the scare over cell phones and brain cancer. Sandy

• youreit
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for the info, Chicka!

I'm pretty sure the chips are safely encased, but it's the body's reaction to foreign objects of any sort that's in question.

I hope they continue with testing and eventually give us some numbers on this. As Sarah said, any chance is bad, but it's kind of like flea treatment for my kitty - I know there's a chance it could adversely affect her (like it did Clyde the pug), but I was willing to take that chance. However, since Pookie is an indoor cat, the odds are that I won't "lose" her, so no microchip for her.

If I had a "jumper" or a "runner" as a pet, I'd probably go with the microchip....at this point.

Brenda

• comettose
    17 years ago

Good information to know if contemplating to chip or not to chip. One thing I noted - the one time you needed your chip the shelter didn't even scan for it.

That is one thing people need to know - the chip will obviously help ID the pet if one scans for it, but in no way will it protect a loose animal from being killed by a car, disease or fights, or the fact that some people steal animals to sell to those that won't care if the animal has a chip or not as their intention is not to find the owners. The tumor issue adds to the bigger picture.

Personally, I would not hestiate to chip an animal despite all of the possible negatives, because a lost dog (and more so for cats) are in a far worse off condition if not chipped or tatooed, in the event of loss. The statistics for lost dogs without IDs coming home is not great, and it's a worse outlook for cats.

A good collar with a metal tag with name and number cannot be overlooked either. I think that increases the chances for return the most, as the average Joe, who does not have a chip scanner, can give you a call, long before an animal might make it to a shelter, that may or may not scan.

My best advise - keep your dogs on a leash when walking or in a secure fenced area when loose in the yard, otherwise keep them inside. For cats - only one piece of advice: keep them inside all the time. CT

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

WoooooHoooo! Good for you, Sandy! :-)

YES! YES! YES! DON'T BELIEVE everything you see on an Internet Forum! Always question whatever is posted!

But .... In this instance my source is from the Veterinary Cancer Society. I wouldn't try to post something just to cause a panic here. LOL!

But, as with everything, YOU are the best judge for what is best for your pet.

Here's a link they sent me too...

Here is a link that might be useful: Microchip and Cancer

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

Wow, I didn't know common sense was so exciting. Thank you! I followed your link to another link. The mice in that report had a very high incidence of tumors. Weren't there studies like that before they started 'chipping' pets? Don't treatments for animal get the same type of research that treatments for humans get? Surely they have tested many materials subcutainiously. Do they know if it is the materials or the slight electrical current produced by foreign materials or the chip's charge that caused the tumors?
    Sorry, I get the urge to ask more questions when the first questions are answered. Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: One of many reports

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Sandy.

I dunno what tests were done before they were marketed. It looks like an emerging concern as more cases are reported. But that is not to say that every microchipped dog or who ever will develop a tumor. Like not every cat that was ever vaccinated developed a tumor or not every human who has a metal implant, like a plate and screws to hold fractures in place, will develop problems in the future.

Maybe certain animals are predisposed genetically to react to certain things, be they implants or vaccines or allergens...?
    This probably will take a long time before all your questions and many more are answered. From what I have read there seems to be few animals that do develop the tumors in response to the implant compared to the total population.

Another thing to make you go hmmmmmmm.

• hnladue
    17 years ago

Both my dogs are chipped. They never go off leash but I was concerned about them being stolen and a chip will help me get them back, because they would be registered to me!! I've heard of this report before, but I still believe everyone should chip their dog. Collars fall off, and if someone steals your dog at least you have proof that it's yours when they find them.