Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
semper_fi

Platoon, ATTTTENTION!! the 13th annual super bowl office pool

semper_fi
16 years ago

OK, maybe not the 13th. That just happens to be my favorite number. Anyhoo, it is time boys and girls for our annual Super Bowl "office" pool:
{{gwi:164478}}

HOW IT WORKS:

Most of you probably remember the drill from the last few years but heres a refresher course on how the game is played. First, look at the grid above and pick 2 empty squares. BE SURE TO REFRESH YOUR BROWSER FOR THE LATEST GRID UPDATE (hold the ÂSHIFTÂ key and press ÂRELOADÂ from most browsers). Reply below with your 2 picks and they will be assigned to you.

Once all 100 squares have been filled, I will use this random generator to assign a unique number between 0 and 9 to each column and each row (where you currently see the '?' marks). These numbers will represent the last digit of the score of the game on Feb. 3rd. For example, let's say that you have decided to pick squares 13 & 77 and after assigning random numbers the grid ends up {{gwi:164474}}. So letÂs say that the half-time score ends up being:

Dang New England Patriots: 27

New York Giants: 21

In this example, since square #13 bears the winning combination of 7 & 1, then you win!!! Alternately, youÂd win if the final score turns out to be:

Dang New England Patriots: 17

New York Giants: 41

Can you tell I've had enough of the Patriots?!?! Sorry MaryO! :-)

PRIZES

There will be at least 2 winners in this game (though technically it is possible for the same person to win multiple times). The square with the correct half-time score will win $20. The square with the correct final score will win $30.

Also, like last year, there's a bonus round of play. When you pick your 2 squares, also let me know your prediction for THE SUM OF THE FINAL SCORE. In other words, if you think that the final score is going to be 28-21, you would pick 49. Remember, you cannot pick the same grid squares as somebody else, but you CAN pick the same sum score. Person(s) with the correct sum will share a $48 Prize Pot. Why $48, you ask? Simple...this amount makes division among up to 4 winners much easier for me. So even if your squares land less than ideal score numbers, you can still have a shot at winning the bonus prize with your sum score prediction!

The winners can choose from the following prizes:

*A donation on your behalf to the charity of YOUR choice

*A gift certificate to ANY online retailer which offers gift certificates

A NOTE ABOUT YOUR PRIVACY: I respect your reserved® rights to privacy. If the winners opt for a gift certificate, I will need a private email with only a first and last name and an email address to complete the transaction. If you feel more comfortable, this information will be for your 3rd cousin 4 times removed. I really don't care who it is as long as you feel confident you can get your gift from that individual.

I will update the grid every evening. As I mentioned earlier, be sure to refresh your browser to see the latest update. If you inadvertently pick a square that's already occupied by someone else, you will be assigned the closest available square.

On Wednesday (Jan. 23rd) I will open the pool to members of another forum. IÂm guessing that the grid will fill up quickly once the other forum has been invited so be sure to pick out your numbers soon. So w/o any futher ado, jump in the pool by filling in the following 3 blanks:

I want square: ___ & ___

My prediction for the SUM of the final score is: ___

Comments (44)

• chickadeedeedee
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Dang! The team that should be in the Super Bowl is obviously missing.

Be that as it may, number 23 and 82 for me, Sir. A total score of 37.

For C3D the numbers 13 and 57, Sir. A total score of 42.

Sir, thank you for doing this again in spite of the pain, Sir. :-) RAH!

Mikey

• youreit
    16 years ago

"The team that should be in the Super Bowl is obviously missing."

I couldn't agree more, Mikey. But I'll be ok, thanks. LOL

You ROCK, Fi guy! Thanks for being such a good sport!

I would like squares 39 & 86.
    My prediction for the SUM of the final score is 38.

Brenda

• horton
    16 years ago

Sir, the RCG will have 21 and 35 please, Yes Sir! Sir!

We are delighted to join our old allies in this adventure.
    By the way what is this Supper Bowl?
    Is it similar to a free help yourself smorgasbord buffet????
    We love them!
    Mogali, Adj,. RCG

• hnladue
    16 years ago

I'll take 37 and 73 with a toal score of 23!!

Thanks Sir Fi!

• bonz
    16 years ago

4 & 92 please :)
    NE 45 NY 17 = Sum total 62

With our sub zero temps & -25 degree wind chills there wasn't a cold person at Lambeau. The heat and electricity generatred by the fans and our hopes for a Super Bowl kept everyone warm. There is no other experience on earth like a championship game in the frigid cold with fans who are literally the best and most dedicated in the world. But Monday morning the heat is gone and the cold realization is we will not be in Arizona to end that perfect NE season. And we do not want to hear "there is always next year" :)

• comettose
    16 years ago

Oh good - game time again!

1 and 29 and final score of 52.

Thank you. Toots

• pondgardener
    16 years ago

22 and 55 with a total score of 44. Go Giants!!!

• jeanner
    16 years ago

12 and 51 for me please! With a total of 41.

Thanks Semper, this always makes the game a little more interesting for me.

• maryo_nh
    16 years ago

Thank you Mister Semper! From the bottom of my fair-weather-Pats-fan heart. We're enjoying this season immensely. And, if the Pats don't win in Arizona, well, they've got all those records, so it's OK either way with me.

I was hoping for the GB Packers myself...

The numbers, unfortunately jeanner got # 51, so I have to change my second number. So, can I please have #15 and #4, and a total score of, lemme guess, there will be lots of fieldgoals, 36. The winner will have 20 and the loser will have 16. Whichever way it goes...

:) Mary

• semper_fi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"thank you for doing this again in spite of the pain"

Well, there's always next yea...errrr... NEVER MIND!

Grid has been updated.

• sheepco
    16 years ago

I'll take 47 and 78 please! Total score 47.

Thanks Semper

• bonz
    16 years ago

LOL......Semper And thanks ;)

• chickadeedeedee
    16 years ago

Sir? Have you noted that the replies to the thread read
    ...13th annual super bowl office poo?

Things that make one go Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

MM

• youreit
    16 years ago

LOL!!!!!!! Good eye, Mafia! Nothing better than office poo. :D

(I was bummed about the Cowboys [HATED IT!], however, the Pack was my last, great hope....I will now put the shoutout to my homies - Go, Giants!!!)

"Putting the Randy back in Brandy"

• comettose
    16 years ago

Could be because Attention has four T's, but poo is funny.

• chickadeedeedee
    16 years ago

That's my girl,Randy Brandy!
    Giants! RAH!

M. Mike

• semper_fi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"Sir? Have you noted that the replies to the thread read
    ...13th annual super bowl office poo?"

LMAO! Very prophetic, no?!

MaryO, forgot to mention last night that square #4 was already picked so I gave you the closest available square (#3) instead. Didn't give you square #5 since your other pick falls in that same column. Having your #s spread out seems like a safer bet. If you want it changed to another square of your choice, let me know.

The grid for the Super Toilet Bowl has been updated!

• maryo_nh
    16 years ago

It's all good Semper. Since we have at least one birthday in almost every month, they're all special numbers to me! Also, since I now have a mental image of a toilet brush going with the Super Bowl, it's just as well that I don't have the numbers of my own birthday.....

{{gwi:164480}}

• isis_nebthet
    16 years ago

69 and 74 final 34

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

I once won tickets to Lambeau and the Packers play at a company Christmas party. Wanna guess who didn't get to see the game?
    My numbers are 11 and 33 with a final of 13. Sandy

• semper_fi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"Wanna guess who didn't get to see the game? "

Don't tell me of all the times you've been sleepless, you fell asleep at a Packers game!

Final SUM score of 13?!?!?!?!?!?! 8-)

Grid has been updated.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

No sleep for me then. By the time I was half way back to the table I had several offers that were hard to refuse but I turned them over to DH as a Christmas present and sent him and youngest son off to do some bonding. I stayed home and sipped wine in front of the fireplace. I even built a fire in it. Sandy

• ademink
    16 years ago

halloooooooooooo

5 & 58....final score of 26

thanks for the heads up mary!!!! :)

• semper_fi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ademink, how many guesses do I get for trying to figure out which charity you would want the $$ to go to should you win?!?!?!

• sheepco
    16 years ago

I told my mom about this...If you don't get takers for the last few numbers she thinks 40 and 83 are the winners. 27 final score. I understand if you don't take non-forum folks :) If you do, put it down for MyMom - she's the best!

My folks have hosted a Superbowl party for about 40 people for the past 23 years. This year their rural TV company went belly up so they won't get it at home. I won't get it either....We're scrambling to get it together a the moment!

• semper_fi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Done deal Sheepco! :-)

I would like to make a motion that *IF* the last 4 remaining slots aren't taken by Friday evening, we ought to give them out to some pond forum regulars who have been MIA/AWOL lately.... Z-Chick, FTM, PondmaninFL, Poo3, or...???

The key here would be to pick folks which someone here has stayed in contact with via email or otherwise.... that way if they win, we can get their prize to them.

• youreit
    16 years ago

Now I'm rooting for Yo Mama! I'll never win with this attitude. LOL I can't imagine not getting the game, Sarah! Will the party end up being at some sports bar or something, then?

I agree, Fi guy! I haven't kept in contact with any of those listed, but I'm sure someone has.

Brenda

• semper_fi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Alright! The grid is complete and the numbers have been assigned. I used the random generator in the link above to come up with {{gwi:164475}} for the dang Patriots and {{gwi:164476}} for the Giant underdogs.

You can print a higher-resolution (bigger) version of the grid by clicking on {{gwi:164477}} and the right clicking on the image and choosing "print picture..." or "print..." (from most browsers).

Here's everyone's predictions for the sum of the final score: {{gwi:164481}}

Herr Horton, while tallying the scores for the chart above I realized that you forgot to make a prediction. So what will it be oh Nostreduckmoose of the Pond Forum?! Please don't pick 52 because there isn't any more room left in that slot!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Go underdogs!

• comettose
    16 years ago

Good luck all and remember if you host a party, go to a party, or out to a bar, remember to drink sensibly and/or have a designated sober driver! Superbowl Sunday is second on the list for fatalities on the roads.

Friends don't let friends drive drunk!!

Have fun and I hope I win! Toots

• horton
    16 years ago

We here at the RCG are very sorry about that ommission.

Without buggering up your nice green and yellow thingmagigger can we have 57 [that's 57].

Thank you and may the best team skate the fastest!

Mogali. Adg, Sports Director, etc, RCG.

• youreit
    16 years ago

Woohoo!!! My grid numbers are a tad worrisome for the final result, but stranger things have happened...after all, this is an office poo, you know. LOL

Dittos on what CT said! I will be a good sport and drink very unsensibly in the comfort of my home. :D

Go GYANTS!

Brandy

• zinniachick
    16 years ago

Hey y'uns! Sorry to miss out on the fun, but I do have the game on the telly right now. However, I can't even partake of the beverages of choice because I'm having surgery in the morning. Arrgh!! GO GIANTS.

If the Giants win, you're all invited to Clancy's Bar for a cold one next weekend.

• semper_fi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brandy wrote:
    "Now I'm rooting for Yo Mama!"

Hey it worked!! Congrats to Sheepco's mama. She's the best... or so I've been told! :-)

The squares with the yellow outline had the correct score combination at some point during the game. The solid yellow squares are our winners.

Amazingly enough, nobody has been eliminated from the sum score card.... everyone is, at least mathematically, still in it.

Good luck in the second half. More importantly, good luck tomorrow Z-Chick.

• comettose
    16 years ago

Great last minute upset. Overall the game was a bit slow. Brady was just tossing them away (or so it seemed).

My favorite commercial was 'Silence the Stain'!

Congrats to the winners!

• zinniachick
    16 years ago

The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant!

Drinks are on me! You all free next Saturday?

Thanks for the well wishes, Semper, and back atcha. It'll all work out just fine all 'round.

• zinniachick
    16 years ago

I liked the baby buying stock. The spit up was classic.

• semper_fi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Coach Bellychunk shows his true colors by deserting his men before the game was officially over. Nice!

No, no, no! The best commercial was the one with Roethlisberger in the Steelers locker room. Not that I'm partial or anything. ;-)

Sheepco, please email me and give me the specifics on which prize does Yo Mama want. Thanks.

There were no winners in the Sum Score contest so the $$ will be donated to the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund.

Thanks everyone for playing along. We will hopefully play again next year for the 13th annual Super Bowl office poo.

• chickadeedeedee
    16 years ago

CONGRATULATIONS!
    Sheepco / Yo Mama! :-)
    A well deserved winner!
    Congratulations to the Giants!
    Thanks Semper for the 13th Office Poo. RAH!!!

Camp Nappy Campers

• horton
    16 years ago

Sir Distemper, Well done once again Sir. We at the RCG enjoyed watching the game Sir!
    The commercials had us quacking up!

But all that talk about "It's their down," or "It's the other teams down", had us plucking worried, so to speak!

Congratulations to "Yo Mamma".
    We love cello music!

All at the RCG.

• youreit
    16 years ago

LOL!!!! @ cello music! Dang, yer a quick'un, Major RCG!

CONGRATS to Yo Mama and the Giants!!! What a GREAT upset at the last minute!! With 2:something left, I thought the Yorkies were done for. What a fun ending!

My favorite commercial was a toss up between Tide's Silence the Stain and Toyota's Badger....ok, and Bridgestone's Screaming Richard Simmons. LOL But Hank the Clydesdale ("Rocky") made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Cars.com's Ring of Fire, etc., commercials were way up there, along with FedEx's Pigeons, Doritos's Kicka$$ Mouse (YIKES! LOL), and (Planter's?) Unibrow Lady.

Ok, Charles Barkley's big mouth got a chuckle, too. :D

Z-Chick, if you're rarin' to go next Sat. after having surgery today, then showing up at Clancy's is the least we can do! :D Hope you're feeling better soon!!!

Bad toothache with an infected loose tooth here. WHAAAA! The dentist scares me a LOT, so wish me luck today....*whimper*

Fi guy, thanks SO MUCH for doing this every year!!!!

Brenda

• bonz
    16 years ago

As usual a GREAT job, Semper. Thanks for you're SUPER dedication to doing this for the last 13 years.....
    (...from someone who watched in the cold Wisconsin winter while some lucky, happy NY fan sat in what coulda shoulda been my seat!!!!)

For a while there I thought Sleepless might have been right on with "13"

Even though I love Eli an was happy to see the victory I can't help but wonder if the game would have been a tad bit more interesting for the first three quarters had Brett and the boys been there :)

Congratulations to Yo Momma

• maryo_nh
    16 years ago

Congrats to Sarah's mom! And, to, eh, (grrrmph) (clearing my throat) the, eh, Giants.

Don't mention this to DH, but I really think the best team won. Honestly. Brady's linemen couldn't keep the Giants from getting to him. For crying out loud.

* So, when do the Red Sox start training?*

• sheepco
    16 years ago

Brenda, I'm pretty sure it was your extra cheers that pulled it out for Mom :0) Sheesh, couldn't of rooted for me huh?
    I didn't get to see the game, but of course checked out some of the commercials online. (link below if you haven't found one yet) I'm with Zchick, E-trade Baby was really good. I gotta go back and check out Tide's Stain and a few others I musta missed.

Better luck to all next year (we won't let Mom play)!

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

Dagnabit!! One of these days I will remember to turn on the TV. I guess I'm not so terribly sorry to miss the game but I really do miss seeing the commercials. Thanks for the link, Sheepco. When I get tired of throwing things at the primary reports I'll take a peek. Semper, no more holes in the walls, I hope? ;-)Sandy