Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

Nuvawhat????

ademink
18 years ago

What on earth is with the ads here???? I'm probably beating the dead horse here (down, all you PETA fans - figuratively speaking) but why am I reading an ad for NuvaRing????? Ew.

Comments (11)

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

I had to look that one up, Andrea, and now I'm kinda wishing I hadn't, lol.

Couldn't agree with you more... didn't see the ad, but I got the idea from their website.

'nuff said, huh?

• bihai
    18 years ago

WHat's NuvaRing? I haven;t been "offered" that ad yet

• youreit
    18 years ago

"With this Ring, I thee...uhhh..."

Brenda

• hnladue
    18 years ago

I'm NOT LOOKING!!!!

• bihai
    18 years ago

AHhhh I thought it might be like a French Tickler

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

If ya wanna avoid ALL THAT, go HERE and sign up... solemn promise from the founder... No Popups, EVER, No copyright infringements, EVER... and if you're wondering, both the founder and most of the members came from GW.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Garden Forums

• jancarkner
    18 years ago

Geez, I was expecting something shocking (especially since my work computer wouldn't let me link to that page - "restricted sex site") but it's just about birth control. I don't get any pop-ups now (except that survey thing) and way fewer side-bar advertisements.

• youreit
    18 years ago

Jeff, I'll go if everyone from the Ponds forum goes. Saying "some GW members" are there is like saying, "Here, try this faux-chocolate concoction." :D

Brenda

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

Brenda, so far as I know, nobody but me from the Ponds forum has registered there, yet, but I don't know ALL the members...

I got linked to it by someone from the Carolina Gardening forum, and there are two or three others from THAT forum there.

As is obvious, I'm still typing here, too... But my options are now open, and that new forum seems very friendly and productive, so far.

Of course it will likely never get as big as GW, but then GW has been around for 10 years... However, at least one of the members there had contributed some of his images to GW's Hortiplex and went to his contributions and removed them, replaced with a statement about the new copyright infringements. I know this because he mentioned it in the other forum.

It doesn't matter to me, either way. I just know this new forum owner has promised no popups or copyright infringements -- EVER, and won't even accept "donations." His sole source of income from the forum is a tiny link at the bottom to the host site that built his, and a slightly larger link for his nursery, but he claims (and I believe him) that he's not in it for the additional nursery business... After all, he sells only vines, and there's not a tremendous market for a vines-only nursery.

The way I see it, it never hurts to keep your options open.

EVeryone take care,
    Jeff

• ademink
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LMAO Brenda! I'm not sure if I wouldn't get these ads if I were a paying member but I'm not sure I want to pay here right now. Know what I mean? Gonna check out the nuva...uh...new site. hehe

• semper_fi
    18 years ago

"I'm not sure if I wouldn't get these ads if I were a paying member..."

You would not. Here's my 13¢ worth (counting inflation) of advice... I don't recommend becoming a sponsor just to get rid of the annoying advertisement. If anyone WANTS to sponsor, do it for the right reasons. I personally sponsor because the information I learn here and the pitfall I have been able to avoid in my ponding adventures has been well worth the price of sponsorship.

I have said it before and I say it again, if you really want to avoid those pesky ads, popups, odd site behaviors, get a good software blocker. I have tested MANY, and by far the best one I have ran across is Admuncher. A while back I had turned several GW folks onto this software and since then I have received positive feedback from some of them as well. You can download a free 30-day trial version from the site. If you're pleased with it, it can be purchased for $25. This has been worth it to me because a lot of the sports sites that I frequent bombard you with so much adverts that would make Gardenweb look like a non-profit website!

To show you what I'm talking about... I logged off and came back to Gardenweb as a guest user and turned off Admunncher. Here's {{gwi:164550}}. This should look familiar to MOST of you.

Then I turned Admuncher back on and refreshed the page while still signed as a GUEST: {{gwi:164551}}.

Finally, I logged back in and here's what {{gwi:164552}} looks like if you're a sponsor. As you can see, there's not much difference between the last two screens regardless of sponsorship status. So Admuncher©® does most of the dirty work and probably would be a better investment for getting rid of those Nuvawhachamightcallit ads on ANY website, not just this one.