Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DH's Caribbean cruise (pics)

Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 10, 07 at 8:05

He has returned, and I thought I'd share some of the (hundreds of) pics he took. Due to my dial-up issues, I'll just post a couple links at a time. :)

Their first stop was Antigua...

The Rastamon welcoming committee

Brenda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DH's Caribbean cruise (pics)

Alright! Can't wait to see more Brenda!

o

MAN!!! I can smell the whacky weed on the Rastamon Welcoming Committee all the way over here! 8-)

o

Dat be kool - them be real barrel drums mon!

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 11, 07 at 9:48

LOL! I be jammin' now!

Locals in St. John's, capital of Antigua, on Bishopsgate St. (lady in pink is telling them where they can go...:D)

...so they went to Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic church.

Brenda

o

More! More! More!!!!

o

MORE! MORE!! MORE!!!

:-)

o

Ummmmm.... isn't it a cardinal sin to paint a Catholic church PINK?!?! If not, it should be!

o

LOL Semper.

When we had a home on St. Kitts we'd just tell people we live in the orange house in Birdrock. EVERYONE knew exactly where we were! The house was painted orange and turquoise! It was easily spotted from planes landing at the airport. Good thing the Goosi were not making their runs down there, ehh?

It is a beautiful Church isn't it? Maybe the colour makes it easier to find? Or to give directions like " We live a quarter mile down the street from the Pink Church".

C3D

o

Cabin fever!!!

More photos! Colors! Sunshine! Help!

Here is a link that might be useful: no caribbean for me

o

Mon, Feb 12, 07 at 9:33

Awww, you guys are sweet. I know the pics aren't that exciting yet, but I hope to find some more that are relative to the area. :)

That's funny, I didn't even notice the color of the church, until I had to look up the name of it. (DH wasn't real good about keeping track of the photo IDs...) I'm sure my brain was thinking "tropical climate equals funky-colored buildings," or something like that. LOL Kind of like your house on St. Kitts, Chicka! Now, if I had a house that color here, I'd probably get fined or something. LOL

These next pics are of another church, but for the life of me, I can't find which one online. DH seems to remember a local guy saying it's the oldest one on Antigua (302 years old, he thinks), so I'm thinking it might be St. Paul's Anglican in Falmouth, but I'm not sure about that.

Most photogenic side

Love the windows, and stone- and brickwork!

The rear of the church (I asked DH if those were headstones! "I don't know...." *sigh*...oh, TinyPic cut them off, but you can barely see one at the bottom...)

Inside

Front, bell and light

Brenda

o

Awwwwwwww ......... Fantastic pictures Brenda and Brenda's DH!

Here's our orange and turquoise house in St. Kitts. (Doesn't exist any more though. :-( ) It's a scanned deteriorating Poloroid picture.

o

Great pix, keep 'em coming!

o

Tue, Feb 13, 07 at 11:41

Oh, that's not so bad, Chicka! It looks similar to some of the beach houses seen here in Cali (color and style). Love those louvered windows that allow in the sultry breezes. :) What happened to the house?

I love seeing familiar animals in unfamiliar places. Why wouldn't Antigua have chickens? :D

This was merely Bar #1 in a looooong line of bar hopping....Can you tell DBIL is happy that refreshments are in his future? LOL

He joined Jean-Claude, their taxi driver, for a brewski (Wadadli, made right there on the island) inside. Jean-Claude was happy to report that not one accident has occurred on the island due to drinking and driving. In fact, he announced that drinking is encouraged, since it makes you drive better! (I'll walk, thanks...)

Brenda

o

Our house in St. Kitts was gone with the wind of Hurricane Gilbert. :-( But we had a *LOT* of fun while there! Nice tans too. LOL!!! x 13!

Awwwwwww. Baby chickies! How adorable. That could be a Caption Contest contender. :-)

LOL! Looks like they painted the bar with the same stuff on our house. DBIL *DOES* look happy before getting in, doesn't he?!?!?

Hmmm. Drinking and driving? Hmmmm....

Great pictures! More please! ----> Pushy aren't I ?

C3D

o

DANG! That house looks like it belong in a Miami Vice set! Any pictures of Sir Nappy sporting a three day stubble, a mullet, espadrilles and loafers without socks, Ray Ban Wayfarer sunglasses, no belts, unconstructed Italian blazers over tee shirts, linen pants... and of course, pastel colors?! :-)))

BTW, using man logic is great... but I gotta say, Caribbean man logic is messed up. I would've walked too!

o

I'm loving these! Great choice of subjects, I love seeing the locals (especially the chickens!). And what great colors - makes me want to go paint my house!

o

"makes me want to go paint my house!"

(Using my best law-enforecement voice):

PUT THE PINK PAINT DOWN AND WALK AWAY!

o

Sir Nappy with a mullet?

GASP ! COUGH... Cough...

......THUD

o

Wed, Feb 14, 07 at 9:43

Those danged hurricanes, anyway. DH was hinting around about MOVING there (yeah, RIGHT!), and I immediately brought up the hurricane issue. "Oh, most of the coves are protected there." HA!

ANYBODY with a mullet? GASP ! COUGH... Cough...

....THUD....LOL

I'm waiting for the top-40 hit from Antigua, You Ain't Nothin But A Dockyard Goat (Deputies on their break....?)

Boat House and Sail Yard Pillars National Park

Cute little park docent (Wish DH had taken a recording of her speech; I love their accents!)

Love how the water is right THERE (no pesky walls or rocks to get in the way of wading....)

More of the bay & sail boats

One of many old British cannons still scattered on the island

This display was a beautiful enigma, almost like it's waiting for the performers to return and continue playing/dancing. Note the wonderful mural behind it...

(Not sure if some of these pics got cut off at the bottom....*growl*)

Brenda

o

those goats remind me of jail "weekenders"

water is beautiful, brenda, and i love that old church.

o

*Pulling out the smelling salt for C3D*

BUT WAIT! I *KNOW* for a fact all the cool dudes used to have them back in the 80's. AHEM!!!

CRAP! Did I just type that out loud?! Gotta go destroy some 25 year old evidence.

o

Love the goats, but all I could think of was having to "goat proof" all the plants you don't want them to eat!
I know they run loose on most of the islands, guess people just get over it :)

o

Thu, Feb 15, 07 at 9:54

LOL Yeah, Sarah, I've had goats do damage, too. They're brutal! But cute. :D

Men aren't the only cool ones who had mullets, Fi guy. I'm pretty sure I had mullets #2 & 6 at some point in the 80s. :D

Bar #2 - the happy cruisers were complaining about weak drinks they'd experienced so far on the trip (this being only day 4 of 10), so the bartender handed over the bottle and let them have at it. DFIL enjoys playing drink mixer...

They learned that the bartender/owner is originally from Australia. He holidayed in Antigua 7 years ago and decided to stay - bought a house and the bar. Good on ya, mate!

Jean-Claude informed the travelers that this peninsula is owned by Eric Clapton. Rock on, dude!

More of the Clapton compound (the white buildings in the foreground)

Brenda

o

You, or your DH... rock on!

o

Fri, Feb 16, 07 at 10:31

Thanks, Chicka! :D

Welp, we're going out of town for the weekend, so I'll leave you with some pics of blue water until I get back. It seems that DH took more than half the pics in Antigua, even though Grenada was his favorite. LOL

Icy blue and refreshing - so tempting...if I liked jumping off high cliffs into unknown waters, anyway. :)

I couldn't believe how BLUE the water appeared! I didn't fiddle with these pics at all...

Another pic of the Clapton's from atop one of the old fort areas.

Have a great weekend, and I hope the weather clears up for those east of here! (And don't forget the Daytona 500 on Sunday! :D)

Brenda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here