Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youreit

Flea treatment

youreit
17 years ago

The place where I usually buy the Advantage flea treatment for my Pookie says it's temporarily unavailable and to please try Frontline Plus instead. I know there are different ingredients in both, and the Frontline kills ticks, too, but, are there any differences I should concern myself with? My kitty is healthy overall with no other issues.

What do you think, Chicka, Sarah, etc.? And I'm just looking for opinions, so no disclaimers are necessary. :D

Brenda

Comments (6)

• comettose
    17 years ago

Brenda, do you buy the little package that is 'sized' to your animals weight? Just so you know those products are all the same product, just marketed in various sized packages by weight. Application for Dummies kind of thing.

Next time you buy Advantage (when it comes back in stock) you might want to think about buying a bigger size, single tube and use a syringe to pull out just the amount you need. It is cheaper to buy that way, than the often overpriced clinics that sell the little packages of 3 with a 'bonus' free tube if you buy this/that or the other. LOL

Of course I have 6 cats to do, and if you only have one may not be a good idea if shelf life becomes an issue.

Sorry - no advice on the alternative - I only use Advantage on my cats. They never go outside and I think it is the most gentle (for lack of a better word) to use than some of the others. Does your cat go outside and get ticks? Might be a good idea to use a different product that works for both fleas and ticks if yes. Sounds like you don't have a tick issue though since you've been using Advantage and like it.

One suggestion - why not buy a small quantity of Advantage until your favorite supplier gets re-stocked (I'm assuming you've found a great price somewhere). Can you place your order, even if out of stock, so it will be filled first when they get stock back in? It's not like you have to use it forever.

CT

• chickadeedeedee
    17 years ago

Hi Brenda.

The Frontline may last for 6 weeks rather than the 4 weeks of the Advantage. Both are good and safe products for kitties or dogs.

Frontline is toxic for ferrets and should not be used if you have them even if you just put the product on Pookie.

C with the 3 Ds :-)

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's good news, Chicka, knowing about the 6 weeks rather than 4 weeks! I don't have a Fungo the ferret yet, so all is safe. :)

Actually, CT, I do buy the "for cats over 4 kg" tubes, but...that's because Pookie IS over 4 kg! LOL She gets the maximum dosage, but there's more of her to love. :D

Not too concerned about ticks in this area, hence my choice of Advantage. I've also emailed the company to find out exactly what "temporarily" means. I usually buy the 6 pack. I've searched online for other places, but I can't seem to find anyone else who'll sell it domestically, whether 4 or 6 packs (or less)!

If it gets down to the wire, we'll just go with Frontline Plus to get us through. :)

Brenda

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

PetShed has reported that they're hoping to get more Advantage in mid- to late March...really cutting it close. I may have to go with the Frontline Plus. Can you tell I'm not too good at dealing with change? LOL

Brenda

• sockmonkeyz6
    17 years ago

I had to get the Frontline instead of Advantage and I don't deal with change easily either, I have been putting off using it, but I'm gonna have to soon, it's starting to look like Spring although they are calling for snow this weekend here. By the way my "Moonie" is scheduled to be pet of the day on June 2 on the pet shed website!

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yay, Moonie!! I've marked THAT date on my calendar; I can't wait!

Since I do have one tube left, I think I'm going to wait until I use it on Pookie on March 20th, then try to order again. They're usually so fast with delivery. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Brenda