Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youreit

Man Coughs Up Nail 35 Years After Accident

youreit
18 years ago

HOY!

Brenda

In 1970, a bizarre gardening accident embedded a small nail deep inside Guy "Bud" Hart's body. More than 35 years later, the nail made an unexpected return, much to Hart's surprise. The Placerville man was stunned earlier this month when a coughing fit expelled the inch\-long sliver of metal, completing its decades\-long trek inside the 84\-year\-old's body. "I didn't think something like that could happen," Hart said. The story of Hart and his unexpected passenger began in Minnesota back in 1970. While mowing grass one day, Hart felt a slight pain in his throat and saw a small trickle of blood. "It was like a bee sting," Hart said. "But I didn't think much of it." Hart wasn't overly alarmed, but just hours later, the discomfort began. "The next day, when I coughed, it was like I had a hot knife in there, cutting me," Hart said. His family rushing him to the hospital with a 105\-degree temperature. There, doctors determined their culprit, the small nail that had apparently dropped down inside Hart's body cavity and nestled inside his ribcage. Doses of penicillin helped Hart heal, but since removing the metal would require major surgery, and doctors suspected the nail would seal itself off in Hart's body, the foreign object was forgotten for years. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," Hart said. Years later, the nail turned up again on a doctor's x\-ray, but again, the unobtrusive item was left alone. Then, three weeks ago, an internal camera captured an image of the nail during a routine doctor's office visit. But it wasn't in Hart's ribcage area as he'd always thought \-\- the object was actually in Hart's lungs. As Hart and his doctors made plans to remove the nail once and for all, natural physiology took over. Hart was in the bathroom, brushing his teeth last week when the 35\-year partnership finally came to an end. "I'd been having this tickle in my throat," Hart said. "Pretty soon, I started coughing. And it plopped right out." Since the pair were separated, Hart's been feeling fine and doctors have no reason to think the nail had any lasting impact on his health. Hart has been keeping the nail in a small plastic bag, but doesn't have any long\-term plans about what to do with the strange artifact. "Sell it to the Smithsonian Institute?" Hart laughed. "No, I never gave it much thought." {{gwi:164948}}

Comments (22)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    18 years ago

I wonder if he was issued a card similar to the one that was given to me to carry in my wallet. It says my body has metal implants that might cause security scanners to send out an alert. Can you imagine this poor guy trying to get on a plane?? Sandy

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

that's bizarre!

• youreit
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was thinking the same thing as I was posting that, Sandy!

The guy is such a down-to-earth fella, I was also wondering who alerted the media to his interesting story. :)

Brenda

• ademink
    18 years ago

OMG, that's so odd. Wonder what I'm going to cough up one day when I'm brushing my teeth. I'm sure I've swallowed a few things I'm not aware of. LOL "Hey, where'd that Frigidaire come from...????"

• youreit
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL!! Yeah, that's my new excuse these days.

DH - "Hon, where's my screwdriver?"
    Me - "I think I swallowed it."
    DH - "No, not THAT screwdriver! My tool!"
    Me - *hiccup*

Brenda

• youreit
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I knew he couldn't hold out forever...

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: This is it!

• zinniachick
    18 years ago

Oh man, Brenda, that is excellent! Good spotting!

• horton
    18 years ago

Brenda and Miss Zinnia, Just think about that poor old lady that swallowed the fly...
    Perhaps, if she didn't die, she could now be throwing up for weeks on end, coughing up all the stuff that followed that fly down her gullet!
    Keep your eye on Ebay for a regurgitated frog, spider, dog, horse, etc.
    Just a passing thought.
    Gawd I have to find something to do until spring arrives!
    "Horton"

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

"Gawd I have to find something to do until spring arrives! "--- horton, you could always clean the neighbors' houses? or find those rustling mouses in my office.

• horton
    18 years ago

FTM, I have just got over a battle with a mouse.

We had one that stripped the peanut butter completely off three traps, without tripping them over a five day period.
    The contest was on, let me tell you.
    Never before had it taken more than two settings of my hair trigger traps and I got my quarry.

But here was this little rascally rodent about to [and in fact nearly did] ruin my Great White Hunter reputation.

My DW thought the whole episode was hilarious, "It's Man against Mouse", she told her friend. Which only made me more dertermined that this dangerous daring, yet somewhat dextrous minimus would be bagged and tagged before the week was over.

Day six, after cleaning, re-baiting and resetting the treated traps triggers, to their finest fastest and most fatal tripping point,SNAP! and the beast was mine.

No more patter of tiny feet, no more tiny toothed sculptured chocolate bars, no more ridicule, no more scoffing, no more sleepless nights, until next time.................
    But for this moment,I am once again Master of my own Domain.

"Horton the Hunter".

P.S. I rent out, but I'm not cheap!

• youreit
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Actually, I can't take credit for spotting this on eBay, ZC. It made our local news. :D

The old lady that swallowed the fly? Is that yet another nursery rhyme that I missed out on in my youth?

Ugh, the ol' mouse infiltration story! I feel your pain. Horton the Hunter, you should offer yourself up on eBay! If someone would pay $31 dollars for the ultimate body piercing (piercer?), I can only imagine what they'd pay for the Great Northern Mouse Hunter!

Brenda

• zinniachick
    18 years ago

You go, Horton! Once again you prove yourself Pest Abolisher Extraordinaire. :)

• horton
    18 years ago

Brenda, time for a sing-a-long!
    "H"

Here is a link that might be useful: There was an old lady........

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

"Day six, after cleaning, re-baiting and resetting the treated traps triggers, to their finest fastest and most fatal tripping point,SNAP! and the beast was mine."---- playing "Taps" ...

i cheer them on or at least get a chuckle, so shoot me :) just dont set any hair trigger traps in my neck of the woods. i want to keep my neck.

*gasp* brenda, you have never heard that song? it is so much better heard. i shall be singing all night now! well, may not be better heard in my singing voice, though.

• youreit
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL!! No, my mommy didn't sing me those kind of songs when I was a pup. She stuck with the classics, like, "Would you like to swing on a star?" and the ever-popular, "Sippin CI-der through a straw..." Oh, and some Lynard Skynard. :D

I don't know where those people earned their MIDI licenses, but they should be retested bi-annually. The songs sound nothing like they should!

Brenda

• sleeplessinftwayne
    18 years ago

The cats who shared out house in Wisconsin thought it was great fun to bring mice and other small critters into the house to provide entertainment at odd hours. Occasionaly this would get out of hand because the mice were too smart to fall into a trap and the cats would get bored and let them go for the next time. It so happened they had several running around the day I had the garden club meeting. As the first ladies approached the door, a mouse scurried under my feet followed by a cat. Either in a panic or from habit I slammed the bristle end of a broom down on the mouse which stopped it in it's tracks, leaving the tail exposed. I grabbed the mouse by the tail, ran to the door of the greenhouse and tossed it in forgetting the screen was closed. So the mouse was trapped between the door and the screen. As more ladies came in, the cat came in with another mouse and I reacted exactly the same way. I still don't know why I tossed them out that door. The back door was only 15 feet away. I still get teased. Sandy

• youreit
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The story that just won't die...

The bidding is now up to $257.53.

Sheesh, if I ever cough up something solid, I'll be kind enough to offer it up on the exchange forum here first before making a profit on eBay. That's just the kind of person I am.

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

good story, sandy!

brenda, selling it on ebay is even more bizarre! buying it? i have no words.

• zinniachick
    18 years ago

Dibs on Brenda's hairball! :)

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

LMAO, zinnia!

• youreit
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Aaaaaand the final bid was $510. However, his reserve wasn't met, so he can decline that offer if he's nuts. (I agree about the bidders being even crazier, FTM!)

Putting ZC down for one hairball. :D

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

brenda, i couldn't resist and looked at a few listings to see if they were all as bizarre!

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals