Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youreit

Powder, the albino deer

youreit
18 years ago

Sheesh! If this isn't cute, I just don't know....:) Received this as a forward from aunt and uncle in Texas.

Brenda

Albino Fawn from folks who live on Bolivar Peninsula, Texas

A very eventful day around here... A once in many lifetimes experience!

Mark saw this lil' feller run out in front of a car, thought it was a lost baby goat. Stopped to get it, and WOW, a real Albino Whitetail Deer, just hours old, but doing fine. No Momma deer around. Another car nearly hit it in front of Mark...

Well, he is THE neatest thing any of us ever saw...such a 'freak of nature', that only 1 in more than a million are even born. He took his bottle of food, followed us around the house, doing great. So, we called the Zoo & Fossil Rim, who were both interested, but going to send him to a Rehab farm, at a vet that we have never gotten along with... So, one of Dad's best friends is our Game Warden. Kinda reluctantly, but, I called him and told him the deal. He came right over, of course... and assured me that he wouldn't take it to that vet, that he was going to 'go to higher levels' than that with him.. So, he is gone now.

We got a lot of pix, and something we will never see again probably, so it was very cool. Maybe he will make it in captivity somewhere and be appreciated. So rare..sure wanted to keep him though, but not the thing to do. And not LEGAL either; but, here are a couple of pix to show ya. He was snow white, pink eyes, ears, nose and hooves. Kids called him POWDER. He was SO small. That is my shoe lying beside him... WOW..how cool is that??

{{gwi:165243}}

{{gwi:165244}}

Comments (17)

• saigo
    18 years ago

Wow Brenda that is so cool!
    Those are amazing pictures! That nose and eyes are something else! Your Aunt and Uncle are very lucky to have that experience. They are very very rare as they stated in the letter. I wonder what happened to momma?

We once got a very quick glance at an albino baby moose as we driving they were just on the edge of the bush, of coarse I had my camera with me but not ready, we turned around to try for a picture and they were gone.

Thanks for sharing that amazing story.

• chickadeedeedee
    18 years ago

Ooooooooooooo! Thanks for that!! :-)

C3D

• horton
    18 years ago

Brenda, that is something else, WOW!
    "H"

• semper_fi
    18 years ago

"I wonder what happened to momma? "

I'm certainly no animal behaviorist, but I wonder if it's plausible that he might have been shunned by his mother???

• sleeplessinftwayne
    18 years ago

So amazing. I have seen white deer that were not albino that survived to maturity but I would wonder about survival to maturity for an albino since it would be close to blind in daylight. Looks to me like getting "rescued" was the best thing in this case. Sandy

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

I don't think it would have stood a "snowball's chance" of surviving to adulthood as an albino, either. Almost no wild albinos do, of any species... they just stand out too well and make too easy prey, aside from the fact that yes, I believe it would be nearly blind in daylight.

It will live a wonderful, sheltered life in some type of zoo situation, likely, where people will get to see a natural oddity and it will get everything it could ever need and desire, including, probably, the company of other deer.

I also agree it may have been shunned by its mother due to its difference. Wild animals will often shun newborns that don't fit the norm, knowing instinctually they don't stand much chance of surviving.

Thanks for posting the pictures, Brenda.
    I sure hope he makes it and we get to see pictures as an adult at some point.
    Jeff

• youreit
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow, Saigo! Seeing an albino moose would be VERY awesome!

Actually, my aunt & uncle forwarded the email from one of their friends, but I'll have to ask them if their friends can possibly follow the story of the little guy. I, too, would like to know what happens to him and if he makes it.

If or when I get any "fresh Powder" updates, I'll be sure let you all know. :)

Brenda

• chickadeedeedee
    18 years ago

When we lived in Cambridge, Ontario we saw a small group of albino squirrels that lived on one side of the street. On the other side of the street was a group of pure black squirrels! LOL!

We have seen albino house sparrows around our home too.

Wasn't there a story several years ago about an albino buffalo calf? It was to be an omen of very good things in the future.

Aint nature grand? :-)

C3D

• semper_fi
    18 years ago

"I'll have to ask them if their friends can possibly follow the story of the little guy."

Rocky, I'm pretty sure that their friends were just forwarding the email as well and I doubt if they are the actual folks who found Powder. How do I know this? I was sifting through emails this evening and see a forward from a friend in Arkansas titled: "FW: Albino Fawn". So I thought: WOW! Small World!. But then I noticed very subtle differences in the text... so I decided to research this a bit further and here's what I found out.

Apparently this email has been making its rounds since June '05. No matter, it's a great story regardless of when Powder was found and who had found it.

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

As I thought about it more, I remembered having seen these same pictures in email before, too... but I agree, it's a wonderful story, no matter who found it, or when.

• youreit
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ack!! You know, I really let people have it for doing what I did - posting and/or forwarding an email without verifying it first. Never again. I'm SO glad it wasn't an outright hoax, though. I guess we'll never know about the fate of "Powder". :(

Brenda

• maryo_nh
    18 years ago

Well, Brenda, sweetie, no need to feel bad, because we all surely enjoyed the cute pictures. And I agree, captivity is probably the best way for this llittle guy to survive.

:) Mary
    *lover of all cute animal pics*

**btw, that doesn't mean I want all emails forwarded to me**
    ***yikes***

• saigo
    18 years ago

Well that is interesting. I missed the forward part in Brenda's post, don't know how it was pritty obvious. None the less I still really enjoyed reading it and the pics are just too cute. I'm with Mary lover of all cute animal pictures.

The internet is a great resource but it does have its frustrating moments.

• semper_fi
    18 years ago

"Ack!! You know, I really let people have it for doing what I did - posting and/or forwarding an email without verifying it first. Never again."

Good grief! It's not like you posted about the outrageou$ly priced Neimen Marcus cookie receipe... or the new email tax law that the Congress is getting ready to pass.... or told us about the kid who wants postcards from everyone before she dies... or even the secret Microsoft money making scheme by way of forwarding junk emails to others (which is only true if you forward LOTS of them to MaryO. LOL! :-)). You posted a TRUE and neat story. So it's all good.

• jeanner
    18 years ago

Amen Semper. And it's not like the photos are fake, which I did look over pretty close and couldn't see any obvious attempts to deceive, not that I'm an expert.

Definitely a cutie!

• chickadeedeedee
    18 years ago

{{gwi:165245}}

A client sent me this photograph of an albino peacock.

Cool!

C with 3 Ds

• youreit
    Original Author
    18 years ago

To me, the albino is even more beautiful than the "caffeinated" peacock, C3D! Powder and "Snowflake", what a pair! :)

Brenda