Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleeplessinftwayne

Animals in this nasty bitter cold

sleeplessinftwayne
16 years ago

I was passing the window and happened to look at the pond which has a fairly large hole in the ice what with the bubbler and the homemade deicer and noticed something on top of the deicer. I found my glasses and to my amazement there was a cat scrunched up on top! Talk about mixed reactions. It was kind of funny but it's cold out there. That cat is pretty smart! There are two 75W bulbs putting off heat in there but it's -17oF out there. Panic!!!The cat isn't anywhere in sight and the hole in the ice is a lot bigger!! It's 4 in the morning and I'm out there in a bunch of robes and jackets, barefoot in boots trying to see if the cat is in the water. Oh, *&^*, it's cold out here. Don't see a floating cat, the fish don't seem excited and they are not hiding. There are paw prints and skid marks going up to the edge and I can't tell if any of the prints going to more solid ice are the most recent. I need a tracker. I'm going to be miserable until I see the Tuxedo cat for certain. I thought it was a pet that was just let out for a short time each night but now I think it's a stray. I feel so awful. I must have scared it away and the cold was so bitter last night. I'll be making some shelters out of Styrofoam coolers they ship those Omaha Steaks in. I knew they would come in handy. I really wish the cold would go away! Sandy

Comments (7)

• comettose
    16 years ago

Awww - poor cat. I hope you can find it and provide it some relief until maybe a rescue group can take it. It was probably looking for fresh water which is in short supply in many places in winter.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If the tuxedo cat was looking for water there was plenty of that. The top of the deicer lid is recessed and the melt from three inches of snow is trapped there. There is a center part that is higher and dry. The top of the deicer is actually pretty warm with the heat from two bulbs. When I saw the cat it was scrunched down on the center like it was napping. I don't see any new paw prints tonight and even with the cold, there is a lot of open water on one side of the deicer. I can feel the warmth if I put my hand next to it but not 3 or 4 inches away. There are no animals outside except for the neighbors dogs that seem to be out more than necessary. Even the birds and squirrels were all tucked in today. I did see a rabbit come out from under the Junipers this morning but it didn't stay out for long. Sandy

• youreit
    16 years ago

That breaks my heart, Sandy! I sure hope you catch sight of the little fella soon. :(

Brenda

• sheepco
    16 years ago

Remember how resourceful stray kitties can be Sandy, don't beat yourself up! Hopeful Tux has a cozy nest in someone's crawl space or garage or even a thick brush pile. I know that doesn't help much, but have you ever wondered why ALL stray cats don't have frost bitten ears? At least here in MN?
    Hope you see him soon! S

• comettose
    16 years ago

Maybe you could trap it with one of the HavAHeart traps. It is probably hungry and would need food to stay warm.

I guess it was sitting on the de-icer for the heat and maybe was not after the water. Cats do have a way with finding the warmest places available to nap.

I saw a stray cat on top of street heat vent sleeping in the steam that came out of it. I worried it would make it's fur wet and once off the vent it they would freeze. Unfortunately I didn't have any chance of capturing this cat so I don't know what ultimately happened to it.

So many animals out there because of people that let them breed out of control. So sad.

• always_outside
    16 years ago

Oh, hearing this breaks my heart! I can barely stand our 40 degree weather right now! I can't imagine being forced to live outside during this cold weather. I hope the kitty has a good home he/she can escape to.

Loretta

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maybe I jumped the gun with the panic. I still haven't seen the Tuxedo kitty but this afternoon there was another cat napping away on the deicer. Totally relaxed and happy, stretching and preening away between yawns. I think I need to make sure at least one side is firmly attached to the edge of the pond. With any melt the deicer would become a raft and I'm not sure how the kitties would take that. I had no idea there were so many outdoor cats around. No wonder the dogs bark so much. Sandy