Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I just know our southern ponders love this!

Posted by sheepco MN z4 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 3, 07 at 19:20

When we northerners moan about the weather...

We started it on another thread...
"...hey sarah, do they issue cold advisories there? we have one through tuesday, but i'm thinking: it must be so commonplace in minnesota that people would laugh..."

"Yep, we're under a windchill advisory 'til noon Monday. It was -19F at 7:30 this morning, with the windchill - felt like 45 below.
And we don't laugh, they're cancelling outdoor events like crazy. Now why anyone would want to jog - eewwww - around a frozen lake, at night, in February is way beyond my comprehension, even if it is by candlelight. And can you imagine 5000 little Boy and Girl Sprouts at the annual ice fishing derby? All hunched over tiny holes on the windswept lake frozen like little ice cubes?
Probably too much information for ya, huh?"

"yep, and to think the international wolf center is sponsoring dog sledding this weekend or next."

"I bet the dogs love it though! No worries, it's supposed to be up to a high of 13 above next weekend!
Can't believe I've lived here all my life and never been there, sheeesh...gotta add it to the list...up at the top.
Ya know, if I won the lottery (if I played the lottery), I could work when I want and DO the list!

Ok, my brain is frozen and I'm rambling..."

So.. "IS IT COLD ENOUGH FOR YA?"

Canadians, feel free to chime in, and I know the southwest US has been unusually cold :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I just know our southern ponders love this!

"IS IT COLD ENOUGH FOR YA?"

Yes. Yes it is! Nothing to compare to your -19F but it's enough for me. I don't know just *how* cold it got here last night but two windows shattered on the breezeway! They were Hurd double pane windows and in since 1995. Some condensation was between the panes yesterday and today Mike and bro.-in-law are going to fix them.

Tiz be a big ZERO degrees right now and the outside birds have come for breakfast.

I gonna go and put on the suntan oil and bask in that hot Ohio sun! Flip me over in about a half hour. LOL!

C3D and 2 broken windows

o

Hmmm...are you sure it was the cold? Where was Daisy when the vandalism occurred? :) lol!

Sorry to hear about the windows.

o
RE: I know our southern ponders love this!

It was the cold. Daisy actually is innocent this time. The panes shattered were on the inside but there is plastic on the inside too for added insulation on the breezeway since some of the birds are over wintering out there. The glass shattered between the outside pane and the plastic.

Something about the condensation between the windows and the metal strip between the panes causes too much of a temperature gradient and that's why the glass shattered? ... Or something like that. Mike knows how / why it happened and that's what I got out of his theory.

*SIGH*

o

that's weird. the ella fitzgerald of winters :)

a couple weekends ago, the state park "lodge" sponsored a sled dog demo from some sled dog rescue. i wish i knew about it before it was over!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here