Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Partial albino squirrel

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 07 at 0:06

Hi all,
I'm sorry I don't have a pic of this. I was looking out my window to the woods today, and I saw something running around that was white. I got my binocs, and saw that it was probably a red squirrel with a totally white tail! I've read that albino animals usually get killed off by predators more easily, and I can believe it. I could see it running all over the place because of its whiteness.
I hope I can get a pic of it sometime, but its pretty far off.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Partial albino squirrel

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 11, 07 at 9:56

Albinism must be pretty common in squirrels, considering the reports of them here in the past, and CT's recent one on the Bird Sightings thread. Although, just Googling it, it appears the rate is 1 in 100,000. I hope your squirrel makes it, Catherine!

Brenda

o

I've been seeing a squirrel with a white tail for the past 3 or 4 summers. I doubt I'll see him again if indeed it was the same one. How long do they live? There was another with a white patch. Maybe their genes will match up in the pool again and produce another oddity. Sandy

o

I had an all-white squirrel (not totally albino as it had black eyes) a couple of years ago. It was extremely skiddish, can't really blame it as it did stick out like a sore thumb! I only saw it for one summer.

There are some college campuses that compete for the largest white squirrel populations. That would be something to see!

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 5, 08 at 10:20

Some local news here about these little darlings. Stuck in ol' Lodi again. :D

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: White Squirrel Sighting in Lodi

o

Squirrels can live at least 17 years in captivity. I think I read somewhere they live about 7 years in the wild. Reminds me of the white alligators that were found down in Louisanna some years ago. There were a couple of them at the aquarium there in New Orleans and I got to see them. They sent them to various places to live when they found them, because they knew they would not survive in the wild. Really interesting. Glenda

o

Our regular gray squirrels are always gray, but we also have fox squirrels around here and they show up in a lot of different colors. In most places, fox squirrels are gray but in SC they are usually black with white markings, but some have been seen that are mostly white. I have not been lucky enough to spot a white one yet.

o

How cool is that. I would love to have seen that squirrel. We had big red squirels that were replaced by grey squirels. Now the black more aggressive squirels are starting to take hold.

Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here