Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If you're easily freaked out...

Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 07 at 13:02

...then maybe you shouldn't look at this post from the Cali conversations area. :D Well, if spiders...thousands of big, hairy ones...aren't your thing, anyway. ACK!

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Shades of a horror flick!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If you're easily freaked out...

I think I'll stick to birds :^)

o

I think I'll stick to sheep :^)

o

• Posted by horton 6 b Ontario. (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 1, 07 at 8:20

My name is La Page and I'll stick to most things!

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 1, 07 at 10:45

Well, it turns out they're probably tent caterpillars, which cause a lot of problems out here. Hopefully, the tarantulas are feasting on them! :)

Brenda

o

We get the tent caterpillars in NH all the time. Nature has achieved an uneasy kind of balance with them. I think - I don,t know the original thread poster - that he mistakes bundles of caterpillars for a spider.

And, btw, the caterpillar tents creep me out as much as the average spider!

:) Mary

o

Pfffff....... I go through at LEAST 3 of those things during some of my remote bike rides. Usually you never get them all off until much later when you realize that what you thought was sweat rolling down your neck wasn't exactly that.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :^)

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 11:10

Oh, that's so nasty and freaky, Fi guy! Not sweat but...*shudder* LOL

The original poster says she saw a tarantula in all of the webs she dared to examine. What appears to be caterpillars in that hole are the legs of the spiders. She says each spider was as big as her fist. I'm sure those are tent cat webs...and the spiders are playing Hometown Buffet. :D

Brenda

o

So should I be putting a little tarantula in our webworm nests then? *nervous giggle*
I had another look and I can see that those darker things inside are different... But I AM glad I live at this end of the country...

:) Mary

o

makes me want to go get an aussie bird eater at the pet store. it would be fun just to see the fits dh has over it *wicked laugh*

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here