Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marksharky

Ok you northerners

marksharky
17 years ago

Anyone work around the pond this weekend?

I raked up all the leftover leaves and dead grass in the yard and around the pond. Brought the filter back out added in some good bacteria and got the waterfall cleaned and back up running. My skimmer was solid with 2 layers of ice one on the surface and 1 below so I had to pour hot water and use a hammer to break that up. Tried getting some of the leaves off the bottom of the pond but will wait for more of a warm up as the fish are still lethargic. I do think they enjoyed the sound of the waterfall as they came up out of their cave and started sunning themselves. My PH turned out to be fine as someone had suggested ealier to get the test tube kit and it was spot on at 7 compared to those test strips (tahnks).

Can't wait for the ground to thaw and get some vegetation going around the perimeter. Hopefully with a week of weather in the mid to upper 50's maybe I'll start to see some more signs of life!

Comments (13)

• sheepco
    17 years ago

Ooohhh, I'm so jealous! Still 4" of ice on my pond, my world is grey and brown and MUDDY. Just enough thawing so Murphy can skip through the mud! (Picture a very fluffy golden retriever black from mid chest down to his toes)!

But!!! Warmer everyday! Spring's coming! Can't wait to get out the hip boots so I can climb in that COLD water.

...Or maybe I'll wait...

• youreit
    17 years ago

It hit 80 here at the house yesterday, and record temps were recorded in Sacramento! S. Cali is even worse, with temps around 94 and red flag fire warnings. Ack! I'm ready for spring but not summer! Make it stop!

Ok, it does smell nice outside, though. :D

Brenda

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

*crazed giggle*
    *as I look out at the falling snow*
    *at where I suspect the pond is*

It was nice for a few days... almost 70 on Tuesday. Or was it Wednesday? Just long enough to melt the snow off the grass... And now it's snowing again...

But! My daffodils are nosing up out of the ground under their white blankie!

:) Mary

• sheepco
    17 years ago

Hang in there Mary, it'll melt soon!

• youreit
    17 years ago

LOL @ the crazed giggle!! Ooo, I bet your daffs are going to be gorgeous, too, Mary. I have my usual one come up and bloom every year. Just one. It bloomed about 2 weeks ago. Then something comes along and cuts the stem for me, and it's all over. LOL

At least this year, I had the sense to bring it in and put it in a vase before it completely died on me. :D

Brenda

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

** heeheeheehee **
    I'm not giggling crazy for the moment. I'm in sunny California! Visiting for two weeks with the DD, DSIL, and the two DGchildren. The new baby is almost here!

I had my carry-on packed in my car for almost two weeks, just in case... full of short-sleeved t-shirts and such... which I of course never missed from my wardrobe in New Hampshire...

I'm not going back until April 3rd. Hopefully it will be really spring by then. And hopefully baby has arrived by then too... keep your fingers crossed! We're ready! Today would be fine with us!

** all excited **
    **and loving every minute of being with the two darling grands **

• youreit
    17 years ago

That's great, Mary!! And I'm glad sunny weather is here for you, too. It's one of the best times to visit Cali, fer sure. I'm so excited for you and the family (almost plus one)!

All of my fingers are crossed...it's hard to type. :D

Brenda

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

*SIGH!!!*

Still waiting for baby!

Brenda, say a few prayers! And keep those fingers crossed... I'll start a separate post when little Elliot* has arrived. And yes, I'm loving the weather! I may have to go get myself a pair of shorts! Whowouldathought! Shorts in March! Heehee.

Now, back to hugging my other two sweeties.

Btw, when I get back home (next Tuesday), I sure hope we're ice-free on the pond...

• sheepco
    17 years ago

Ice out all the way to the sides March 25 here. Minneapolis set a new record at 81F today. It was probably 70F here, wow what a change.

Best wishes for the upcoming arrival, Mary!

• ademink
    17 years ago

whoohoo!!! in the 80s here for the last two days! it is currently over 80 in teh house and its almost 11 at night. LOL am i in california???

prayers for a safe delivery, mary!!!

• youreit
    17 years ago

Wow, that weather is incredible, Sarah & Andrea!! I think you're both in Cali, since we just had that weather a couple days ago. As of now, in N. Cali...it dipped into the 30s this morning, rain showers, highs in the low 60s. Over 80 in the house so late at night...in MARCH...that's just amazing for you!

Mega prayers for that little darling to get it's darling little bottom out and enjoy the sunshine, Mary! Well, before next Tuesday, anyway. LOL

Brenda

• sheepco
    17 years ago

I think I'm going to try to talk my friend into puttin' on the hip boots and popping into the pond this weekend - I'm soooo bad! Then again, I do enjoy my wading, maybe I can wait... damn cast :(

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

Baby is here! Yeay! See Baby Elliot post.

And DH tells me that the ice is gone on the pond! He hasn't seen any fish yet though. They're still hiding at the bottom.

I'm sooo itching to get my new (last Fall) waders on...