Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring?

Posted by maryo_nh z5 SouthernNH (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 8, 06 at 17:06

"I think spring is in the air, the song sparrows are really getting vocal and the male cardinals are definitely getting more territorial. And my pussy willows have catkins!", says jeanner. Someone else mentioned robins. In my bird feeder tree I just watched a chesty (male?) mourning dove hop through the branches after another, not-so-chesty (female?) mourning dove. And when I was standing outside earlier (I get better reception for my cell phone outside), I looked up and counted 6 turkey vultures doing figure-eights in the sky. Also 7 unknown birds, they looked like maybe TVs, but they were so high up I cant be sure.

And WalMart is stocking the garden department.

Is it true? Is spring coming?

:) Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring?

Common Grackles have arrived in their particular puffy boisterous style yesterday.

Yep. Looks springy out there.

C3D

o

Of course, Spring always gets to Florida before it does up north. :o)

G'day,
Scott

o

Daffodils and some crocus are blooming in my garden. I also have tuplips poking their noses up. Forsythia is starting to show some bloom at work and the red maples are budded heavily everywhere. Supposed to be in the 70's on Friday here in Maryland. Osprey and warblers have started to show up. Yes, spring is in the air! CT

o

Pondman - how can you tell?

I heard today that 15 robins were spotted in a town 40 miles south of here. The canada geese are back in flocks of up to 100, but not everywhere yet. Pairs usually stand around going from 1 foot to the other on the ice for about a month before they can claim territory to a nesting site around here.

The local birds are using the feeders less - gold finches, chickadees, blue jays, downy and hairy woodpeckers. I saw a flock of cedar waxwings last week, so they are moving thru.

And the sheep got sheared last weekend and due to start lambing 3/25 (I lamb later than most, bbrrrr). And even the naked sheep are enjoying the sun of longer days!

Yep, spring! Says she with seed catalogs in hand :)

Sarah

o

Wow, 70s on Friday, CT!? You'll be warmer than us up here in N. Cali (approx. high of 58 all week)!

Due to our winter wet season, we get some sort of blooms all year, but I knew when my last remaining daffodil (planted many years ago before I knew better) popped up and bloomed, it must be spring. And 1 robin was spotted splashing around in the puddles near the street. :D

Haven't seen any hummingbirds for at least a month, but hopefully they'll be back soon. The bees were out in force between storms yesterday, too, and boy, did they look hungry!

Brenda

o

I think I'm jealous. The only critters so far are the squirrels. Hubby asked what the mounds of dirt are in the yard. Guess I'll have to risk the walker to satisfy curiosity. If you don't hear from me send out a search party.
I take it back. There are birds ripping up pieces of the quilt batting in the Skippy. Guess I'll try to rinse it this weekend. Storms are expected today and tommorrow. Sandy

o

The juncos were doing wheelies in the hawthorns this morning.

Oooh, I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO ready for spring.
I gotta check out my bike so I'm ready. Maybe Friday morning... it's going to be in the upper fifties...

Btw, we had a flock of cedar waxwings come through on christmas. And a klock of robins in the middle of January. What's up with that?

o

Yay Sarah -- bring on the lambs!

I can tell it's spring because the kitchen floor is always covered in mud.

o

Cedar Waxwings! Lucky. I would love to have just one of those visit my feeders! Supposed to be common here too.

Yep, weatherperson says into the 70's by tomorrow, but it might end up being some twisted, cruel weatherperson joke! I hope not. I wanted to spend a few hours tidying up the gardens, do some trimming this weekend.

Oh yeah, big ol' footprints on the kitchen floor from Riddler. I have him trained to go right into his crate, which is next to the kitchen door, so he can wipe his feet on his own carpet!

Somebody told me recently that all trees leafed out fully here last year by April 12th. May 15th is our frost free date for Zone 7, but in the Southern part of Maryland it has consistently been much earlier. I've grown a few Zone 8 plants with no protection and they do fine.

Active ponding is upon us!

o

Mid sixties for us for the next four days :^) If it doesn't rain all weekend, I might get my pump running in the pond.

I have daffodils that are budded, definitely early this year. I have seedlings growing under lights, and some cold stratified seeds that are ready to come out of the freezer this weekend. I am so ready for green!

I've had flocks of robins all winter, and mixed flocks of robins and waxwings up until December. No warblers yet, other than the yellow-rumped that over winter here. My warbler book shows migration typically starts here at the end of April. I have seen the towhee several times this week, I hope they nest here again. And I am anxious for my peewees and buntings to come back. Ohh, now you've got me all excited!!

o

And here's another sign. It even smells of spring outside. Sigh. And my black lab(-ish) Sasha has been missing for the last two hours. And she has NEVER left before. Of course, her invisible fence collar was charging instead of around her neck... I drove around and found no dead dogs at the side of the road but I can't stop being so worried. This is such a stoopid dog, she'll get in all sorts of trouble.

DH called from where he is and all of a sudden I was blubbering all over the phone. Any of you who pray, would you send up a request that she get back safely? Soon?

:( Mary

o

Mary,

I do sincerely hope you get Sasha back home quickly and safely!

Mike (Mr. C3D)

o

Mary, is she home yet? My prayers are with you! Do you have out-buildings? I once lost my corgi when he went into the silo - had to call my dad to come look for him 'cause I had to go to work, and of course he would NOT bark - beneath him I'm sure!

As far as Spring goes, I'm jealous! We are getting 32-40F during the days here, but colder at night. My pond heater has a 4" ring of open water around it, but the rest is ice. No tulips, no daffodils, and I don't even want to know what gorgeous greenery Pondman is looking at! (Just kidding, I love FL, and would REALLY appreciate photos so we can all make it another month or two).

Here we still have ice, though I did hit cement on the sidewalk today. The goldfinches have moved out. But I must report the pheasants have survived very well. I will post pix when the lambs come!

Sarah

o

Not home yet. The police don't have any reports. I'm praying she's not hurting somewhere...

Stupid dog - getting me all upset. She should be here bumping my elbow every minute to get petted! And Gretchen - she didn't even finish her carrot. Which is her all-time favorite snack.
No, no outbuildings, there are some farms in the neighborhood though.

And what's on tv but this show about people going missing... and the whole police force is on the case... Oh man. Sigh.

I'm so glad she didn't do this last week at her foster family when I was away!

o

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, lamb! (doing my BEST Homer Simpson impersonation :-P)

Mary had a little lamb
the wolf, he came to eat it
But Mary had a better plan
and told the wolf to beat it...

and she became a "vegiMarian" :) (I would NEVER eat one of your lambs, Sarah -- but I bet Homer Simpson would :)

As for you, Mary, I REALLY hope Sasha has made it home, safe and sound. I know how frantic I would be... how I am when Tater Tot slips out the gate, or when Gizzmo used to... Please let us know she's OK as soon as you do (and I sure hope she IS).

As for the temps, it's getting TOO WARM TOO FAST here... been in the 60s this week, already -- that's fine, but it hit the low 70s today, supposed to be in the mid 70s tomorrow and 85 Saturday!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I had some setbacks on my pruning and just got around to my most important pruning job today (my Peggy Clarke flowering apricot (Prunus mume)), so I'm a little relieved I'm done with that one, at least, before this kind of heat kicks in... but I have SO much left to do before REALLY WARM weather and am having to take it slower than ever this year due to health reasons.

So I'm OFFICIALLY DECLARING a "move the early warm weather NORTH" initiative... You folks in Michigan and Minnesota can HAVE my 70s and 80s... I'll be more than happy to go back to the 50s and 60s!

:)
Jeff

o

Mary, it's 5am Pacific Time, and we're praying that Sasha makes it into your arms soon! Poor dear, I know what you're going through.

Brenda

o

Mary is she home yet?

Be sure to call the shelters at different times of the day -- not everyone who answers the phone knows to check every pen and truck.

o

Oh Mary, how I know that feeling of panic your going through. I hope she makes it home soon, tail wagging and tongue hanging out all excited to see you.

High 60s predicted here for today! Woot, woot! It is so nice to wake up and hear the cardinals and robins singing their hearts out. AND best of all the rabbits haven't eaten any of my tulips yet so I might just get to see them bloom this year.

o

Hi guys.

I found her this morning. Just past the end of the driveway. She's gone. She must have run into the side of a car. It looks like she didn't suffer... that's all I was praying for last night.
I know she was happy up to the last minute - spring air in her nose, pursuing something exciting. The best way to go!

There were seven red winged blackbirds in the yard this morning. They took Sasha's spirit up through the crying clouds to the great blue field in the sky where she can run to her heart's content, without a leash or a collar or an invisible fence.

Then, when Gretchen and I went for our lonely walk, there was a pileated woodpecker in our own neighborhood!, laughing out loud for us, to remind us how much fun it has been to have her in our life, and how there are plenty of wonderful things still ahead of us.

Thanks, girl. We'll never forget you.
Sigh.

*I need more tissues*

That is Sasha on the left. Don't let the serene look fool you. She was a silly dog with a great grin and a wacky sense of humor.

PS. Sorry for hijacking my own thread! Feel free to get back to telling me all the signs of spring that are showing up in your yard (except Scott...).

o

Oh Mary, my heart goes out to you...I'm so sorry for your loss.

Sarah

o

Oh Mary, I am so sorry:-) I hope you feel better soon and please take comfort in the fact that Sasha had a wonderful life loving you and you loving her! I'm glad she did not suffer and enjoyed the wonderful new spring in the air. She is whole and still happy now, only in another place. Your fond memories of her will one day shine through and overtake your sadness.

To Sasha - a good, silly dog that loved!

CT

o

• Posted by bonz WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 10, 06 at 13:55

Mary,
The loss of a pet is so hard, I hope your happy memories of her carry you through your grief.

Here is a picture of my pond waiting for the arrival of Spring. Should be here in 2-3 months :(

Image hosting by Photobucket

o

:o(
So sorry Miss Mary. She had a happy life and she is peacfully happy now.

I need a tissue now.

o

I can't tell you how much it really helps when you all sympathize. Thank you all so much - for asking and praying last night and this morning and for your good thoughts today.

Gretchen and I went for a long walk this morning. I let her sniff all she wanted at the spot where we found her sister, and in the back of the car where Sasha was in her blankie when I brought her to the vet. The poor girl is quite out of sorts today as well. But she played ball with me this afternoon, and the birds were singing and the sun was shining. We'll be all right in a few days.

o

Pass those tissues over here.

I'm so sorry Mary. God rest your dear friend.

o

Mary my heart and prayers go out to you. It is tough to loose a loved friend.
Mike

o

Ohhhhhhhhhhh poor dear Sasha!

((((((((((((((((Sasha and Mary and family))))))))))))))

C3D / Mike

o

It's been said that a true friend is someone who dances with you in the sunlight and walks with you in the shadows. From 1988 to 2001, I was truly blessed to know such a great friend. To some people, perhaps even most, he was "only" a dog. To me he was a true friend. So often throughout our lives we meet acquaintances who only become "friends" when they need something or when it's convenient for them. So rarely one crosses paths with a select few that are always there through the good times and the bad. They accept you for who you are and love you just the same. No questions asked. True friends.

I remember Lee Iacocca once said that if you've got five REAL friends when you die, then you've had a great life. Thanks for making my life great.

In loving memory of my friend George & your friend Sasha

ps: To this day, that's still one of my most favorite photos I've seen posted in these forums.

o

• Posted by bonz WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 10, 06 at 22:55

It takes truly special people to know there is no such thing as "it's only a dog"

o

Oh Mary, I am so heart broken you lost her. I know she's left a big gaping hole in your heart and your home, a hole that can never be filled, just mended with time and warm memories.

Semper, wonderful tribute.

o

*****tears***********************
i am very sorry mary. mine is all too fresh as i lost my old man in january (why i wanted to set up a memorial page).

on another note, 60's today and i heard the meadowlarks singing. BUT, we have snow forcasted...oh, illinois, is there anyone like you?

o

I shouldn't have read Sempers post, I'm crying again.

Spring-This morning as I pulled back in the driveway I thought to myself 'its not really spring until the street sweepers come through and clean up all the sand.' Guess what came by about an hour later, the street sweeper!

So.....yes FTM, ILL. has a psycho twin sister, NE., as we have snow in the prediction for Sunday and Monday. pooey!

o

• Posted by horton 6 b Ontario. (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 11, 06 at 7:13

Mary, may I add my condolences about our loss to those of the others.
There is not much I can add to what has already been said.
Going through the loss of a dear, unconditional love giving companion, is a hard row to hoe.
"Horton"

o

Oh, Mary, I'm so sorry. *HUGS*

*sob*

Brenda

o

As long as we remember them, they are not truly gone. We can still feel them with us if we let go the hurt. Sandy

o

fishy, lmao! love your choice of words :)
we have our first tornado watch of the year today.

today: saw @ 150 american white pelicans flying over within 15 minutes ( i get to see them during both migrations only). oops, wrong thread.

o

I really feel for you, too, Mary. I had feared the worst when you didn't have her back before bedtime... black dogs on the road at night just don't stand much of a chance :(

Looking at her pictures (I agree the one with the four sleepers is also one of my all-time favorites), and then at the one with just her and Gretchen on the couch, I see enough gray around her mouth to know at least she lived a fairly full life, but I also know that doesn't make it one bit easier...

The other night in the birdwatching thread when I went to my Photobucket page to look for my wren photo, I had to look through every page of pictures, which included a bunch of shots I took of my poor, sweet, Gizzmo just before I had to put her down in September of 2004... Been 1.5 years, but I still got a lump in my throat and almost broke down, and it's happening again right now... I HAD to go get Tater Tot and put him in the bed with me that night... just HAD to.

Here's to all your sweet memories of Sasha,
Jeff

o

nonono, fairy, not the wrong thread! I may have lost my Sasha, the biggest kisser of the world, but spring is still on its way!
Thanks all, again, you have no idea how much you all help me to get from the crying part with the acutely hurting heart to the sighing sad part. Which is only just short of the sad smiling part etc etc. DH had a good cry yesterday, so he will be on the mend now. Grandson's birthday party is today, so we can do a lot of hugging with the kids. Yes, Jeff, we're taking Gretchen everywhere... she's coming to the birthday party. Semper, old friend, thanks, and girls, the hugs mean a lot.
DH printed up a lot of pictures yesterday, we're going to make a collage and hang it somewhere in a significant place where we see it a lot. Like the bathroom. (Not kidding!) We don't have as many good pics of Sasha as of Gretchen, because she doesn't! show up! being all black!. Jeff, she was 7 1/2, all of it with us. They were sort-of rescue dogs, but only really their mom, the young fellow that adapted her found out she was expecting, and we took the last two puppies off his hands.

Now, back to spring:
Our pond is defrosting! and we could see the big goldfish and our koi Demetrius yesterday. I started the trickling water change - a few hours every day, as the artesian well allows. Did I mention the flock of blackbirds and grackles?
And then there is that other sign of spring - I'm getting itchy to clean out the nest - eh, I mean, springclean the house...

*Look, I can put a smiley with my name again*

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 12, 06 at 10:45

Ummm, something must be wrong. The National Weather Service is saying we could get snow today, and it's already snowed quite a bit up in the foothills surrounding the valley. They have also said that this is one of the coldest air masses to come through this area in March.

Spring?! Where ARE you?! LOL

Brenda

o

SPRING PEEPERS!!!!! Okay, just one but he's peeping his heart out. I wish I had a way to record it. And check out this male goldfinch molting into his summer colors....

o

lol,jeanner. i expected to scroll down and see a frog pic. i was praising your skills yet again: "how the heck did jeanner manage to sneak up on a spring peeper with a macro lense!" :)

well, we had a hale blizzard this afternoon (absolutely a hale blizzard some large marble sized) AND that was before our second tornado watch of the year!

o

Sounds like you're having "a hale of a time," FTM :-P Seriously... hope nobody got hurt.

Jean, some cameras will also record a little audio... maybe yours will... what about just a regular tape recorder?

Got warm enough here today I couldn't get dry after my shower this afternoon and had to turn the AC on, and it's still on right now... March 11, and AC is running... Go figure! And sitting down here under my ceiling fan, the last of my hair is just FINALLY drying.

Y'all send me some more winter, PLEASE!
Jeff

o

I C E O U T !!!!! YEAY!!

At least, on MY pond. And the daffodils have their noses up an inch! (Probably a little sniffly...)

I hear there really were nasty tornadoes and other bad weather. I hope we didn't set that off with our thoughts of spring?
I hope you midwesterners are all OK. And Californians too. Send the stuff on to Jeff!

o

Just one more hijack Mary:-) Received this from my sister Ceil who takes old dogs nobody wants. She currently has 8!

IF I DIDN'T HAVE ANIMALS

I could walk around the yard barefoot in safety.

My house could be carpeted instead of tiled and laminated.

All flat surfaces, clothing, furniture, and cars would be free of hair.

When the doorbell rings, it wouldn't sound like the kennels .

When the doorbell rings, I could get to the door without wading through fuzzy bodies who beat me there.

I could sit on the couch the way I wanted, without taking into consideration how much space several fur bodies would need to get comfortable.

I would not have strange presents under my Christmas tree -- dog bones, stuffed animals , nor would I have to answer to people why I wrap them.

I would not be on a first-name basis with three veterinarians.

The most used words in my vocabulary would not be: out, sit, down, come, no, stay, and leave him/her/it ALONE.

My house would not be cordoned off into zones with baby gates or barriers.

My pockets would not contain things like poop bags, treats and an extra leash.

I would no longer have to spell the words B-A-L-L-,
F-R-I-S-B-E-E, or W-A-L-K or make up new code words when they learn to spell!

I would not have as many leaves INSIDE my house as outside.

I would not look strangely at people who think having ONE dog ties them down too much.

I'd look forward to spring and the melting of snow instead of dreading mud season.

I would not have to answer the question Why do you have so many dogs/animals from people who will never have the joy in their lives of knowing they are loved unconditionally by something as close to an angel as they will ever get.

How empty my life would be.

o

That really made me smile, Comettose.

o

Me too! Having had a max pet occupation of two dogs plus two cats, most of the above things ring true!!

o

alas.....spring break is over. in more ways than one! 9am today was 60*. by noon it had dropped to 40*. tonight is supposed to be down to 20*! not to mention that we wind advisory and gusts up to 40mph, last i heard it was only 40mph. beat that, nebraska! wait, don't beat that. i am afraid of what might happen.

jeff, not hurt, but they are trying to send our physiology into shock. further north had a tornado warning issued yesterday and now snow is on its way.

love it, ct!

o

Perfect CT! That is a love/hate list. Love that I have to make space for all the furry bodies on the couch but hate the leaves and pine needles!

What is up with this weather? It actually rained MUD here Sunday along with our hailsnowrain showers. Apparently very high winds and the drought in Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas sent enough of their topsoil up into the great stormy sky to rain mud on us. After taking advantage of the nice weather last week to wash windows I was pretty disgusted when I woke up Sunday and they were worse then before I washed them.

Fishy-squinting through dirty windows to see the robins.....and is that grass getting greener or grayer?

o

ok, illinois concedes! holy longhorns, batman!

o

"It actually rained MUD here..."

Wasn't there a disco song in the late 70's or early 80's about that:

It's raining mud! Hallelujah!
It's raining mud! Amen!

-Def1

o

Last weekend the snow was melting, the Canada geese were flocking in by the hundreds, lots of ducks moving thru, and I saw several bald eagles hunting the river. I had 2' of open water on my pond...Monday there was a foot of new snow 60 miles south of here. I escaped that one but the NW wind was raw, the ground frozen again and the windchill -2F. Pond is froze over again. Tonight they're predicting 2-4" or 4-6" or 6-8" of snow depending on which channel you watch.

But the ewes get fatter by the day - only 10 more days 'til the 1st lambs are due!

o

Last year April vacation - this is near where my sister lives in Holland.
I love lambs!!!

o

Sarah, there's a holdout at the corner of what's now a busy intersection in town -- a working farm that's down to about 30 acres or so, but they've got the original barn and house, and some beautiful little black lambs out in the field with their mamas! I saw them for the first time yesterday and thought of you. It's in the 20s/30s here the past couple of days -- I'm sure they're keeping warm.

o

Mary, Holland! Pictures beyond my wildest dreams! I love the homestead. Here it's mud season, that 2 month season between snow and grass...(here in MN every season lasts 2-3 months!) And today it's frozen again. But the lambs come regardless, I prefer to lamb late, easier on the sheep and the shepherdess!

Zinniachick, those little black lambs may turn white! Suffolks do that. I understand the holdout. As part of my job I do ultrasound on sheep, I have a client that has a sheep farm 2 blocks from the Mall of America (the biggest shopping mall in the USA...please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not into malls) right in the middle of suburban metropolitan Minneapolis/St. Paul. I've been doing work for them for the past 5 years. Take at right by the mall, left at the intersection, then right thru the green metal gate and your're in paradise. I would think the neighoring apartment buildings would LOVE them. And they have a special relationship with the local police department 'cause the ocassional sheep...or llama...does break out! It's a fully functionally farm, 150+ ewes, ~30 goats, border collies to herd them, etc. The owner lets the University of MN students get hands on experience here.

Unfortunately, this century farm can never be passed down to their children due to restrictions - it's under the MSP airport runways - and cannot be sold for residential properties. That's ok with this generation of owners, when they stop raising sheep, they will turn it into wildlife sanctuary, it's hilly and has many sloughes, etc. A wonderful assest for MN. I can't get anyone to believe there's a working sheep farm 2 blocks from the MAll Of America! (Gotta get pix!)

Happy Spring - lamb photos asap! Sarah

o

oooooooo, nice, mary! i love thatched roofs!

o

Mary,
I know i'm late posting this but I wanted you to know how very sorry I am about Sasha. She was a beautiful girl.

My heart is still on the mend after losing my bird Lilly in December, so I know what you are going through. It's not easy, but eventually the pain lessens and fond memories fill that empty space. Hugs.....

I've been looking forward to Spring so I can start a memorial garden.

I think we are getting close......the pond only has a thin sheet of ice in the mornings and the fishies are ready to eat!

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

o

Happy first day of spring!

Image hosting by Photobucket

We got somewhere between 5-6 inches of snow yesterday and the prediction is we are in for at least another 12 inches.
I just love our spruce tree when it is covered in snow. It is even prettier when the male cardinal is sitting in it (looks just like a Christmas card) but he isn't around today, probably keeping warm somewhere.

o

i can't see a thing!

hey, its cold outthar! and windy..no fair :(

o

Should I mention that it got up to 88F today with sunshine? :oD

Happy ponding,
Scott

o

Sorry FTM, my fault. I had to LOL as I was sitting here watching all the closings for tonight and tomorrow, you know its crappy out when the bowling alleys and tanning salons are closing early. LOL

Anyway that picture doesn't do that tree justice since it is hard to differentiate the spruce from the pines behind it.

Scott some how I knew we would hear from you! :o)

o

Us complaining proudly of our bad weather wouldn't be the same without you, Scott.

Folks, make sure to never tell him that we are secretly planning to move down to his backyard with our tents and campers and portapotties and coolers full of goldfish, koi, and waterlilies next winter. Shhhhh.

o

Heres a sure sign of spring :^(

I don't know why this robin is mad at me, I didn't ask for this!

o

Oh Jeanner! PRICELESS!
Those are great pics. There was a pic of a robin all puffed up on the front page of our paper today that I loved but it doesn't compare to those at all!!!!

LOL Mary! It's a BYOSS (bring your own sunscreen). We should all be able to get a good deal on it when its on clearance next fall. :o)

o

Wed, Mar 22, 06 at 10:34

Fishy, I love the pic of your spruce tree! Doesn't that mean spring will be "out like a lamb"? :D

Oh, Jean! LOL Maybe he thinks you're the weather lady. Such beautiful, clear shots, as always! He is so handsome when he's angry.

Brenda

o

***LOVE*** your photographs!!!!!

C with 3 Ds :-)

o

makes you just want to poke him like the pilsbury dough boy, jeanner!

o

Another sign that Spring is here... A pollen count of 100 is considered HIGH. Our reading today was 3,200! No wonder this has been dubbed the "pollen capital" of the world. *SNEEZE*

o

Gee, not much pollen here yet. Hardly any insects so far. And no mowing until Mother's day.

Heehee.

o

Tue, Apr 11, 06 at 10:56

Mary, are you saying that they make you mow the lawn on Mother's Day!? LOL Of course not. That would be cruel and unusual punishment.

The Govenator finally declared a state of emergency for some counties south of here in Cali due to the rain. Luckily, most of the danger has been in agricultural areas and not residential...so far. I thought it was bad back in January...

...when this fisherman along the Sacramento River fell asleep while on sturgeon patrol. LOL Notice the toppled chair on the roof? That was probably from his wife high-tailing it out of there, like normal people tend to do. (BTW, no one was harmed in the taking of this picture.)

Sorry to all of your allergy sufferers, though! :(

Brenda

o

WOW! Mrs. Fisherman probably (and wisely) decided to abandon RV once she realized this ain't no 3 hour tour.

Around here Azeleas have always been a sure sign of Spring.

o

Semper, I love that mailbox!
And the azalea!

My forsythia burst into bloom this morning. *Grin* I love spring!

o
RE: mowing

No, Brenda, I make THEM mow.

o

Yo MaryO! Happy Birthday! Have a great day.

Well, lets go build something....

o

Sat, Apr 15, 06 at 12:49

Happy birthday to you, Mary Mary, quite UNcontrary! I hope you have a marvelous day, full of celebration and cuddles (animal & people)! :)

(Oh, Semper, my mom has GOT to see that pic of your Azalea! So beautiful!)

Brenda

o

Happy Birthday MaryO! :-)

C with 3 Ds

o

Thankyouthankyou, all!
*grin*

Now, they should hook up the new LCD HD TV... After they're done making me dinner... and cleaning up the dishes... and birthday dessert, mmm...

o

Hey Brandy, speakin' of family, how's the Godfatha???

o

Wed, Apr 19, 06 at 13:05

He's a contendah, Fi guy! He had his thyroid removed, and he was given his first (of I'm not sure how many) highly concentrated, radioactive iodine pill on Saturday. He had to be avoided like Chernobyl for 3 days after ingesting the pill, and then I think he'll have more tests to see how it's working. The docs think they got all of the cancer out during surgery, so we're hoping for the best (of course!).

Spring really is a time for new beginnings.

Thanks so MUCH for asking, Mark! :)

Brenda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here