Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairy_toadmother

today is march 14

fairy_toadmother
18 years ago

Save a Spider Day!

scroll to bottom of page here: http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=media_newsalert#6

interesting reading (did you know there are two spiders on the endangered species list?):

http://www.umich.edu/~esupdate/library/97.03-04/skerl.html

Or, go here:

Here is a link that might be useful: arachnology

Comments (20)

• pondmaninfl
    18 years ago

I hate spider webs. Especially those of Banana spiders. There is one in my yard who has tried to build a web between my truck and the front porch. That just happens to be the main path out to the road to take the dog for her nightly walk. You know, it takes some time before you get rid of that feeling that there is a spider crawling on you.

G'day,
    Scott

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    18 years ago

she must think you are mighty tasty, scott! i love looking at the intricacies of webs, but i also hate getting them on me. i don't think i will ever forget banana spiders in my old age...all those walks through the meadows and WHOA! hoping you forward motion will stop in time.

• semper_fi
    18 years ago

I was working in my little workshop in the basement last night and wanted to spray paint some concrete pond decor that I'm building. As I was putting my respirator on, I barely notice something moving in the area that covers the nose/mouth. It was a spider. I don't know my spiders at all but this one was brown and had the violin shape back.... so it could have been a brown recluse. Spiders don't bother me but this one had to go! LOL!

• somethinsfishy
    18 years ago

EEWWWWW!
    You know I consider myself pretty tough but when it comes to spiders EGADS! Spiders, grasshoppers and june bugs are enough to send me in to a little girl screaming fit.
    DH is a save the bug/spider person and when we first met I would let him attempt to catch them and put them outside. When I figured out that he lost 9 out of 10 before he got them out the door that was it, now they get squashed.

EEWWW! Just thinking of them give me the hebejebes!

• youreit
    18 years ago

Who woulda thunked it! Thanks for letting us in on this, FTM!

I think my house could be a learning experience for the nearby elementary school, judging by the amount of cobwebs. :D

I had to look up pics of the spiders mentioned -

The endangered {{gwi:166491}} sounds a lot spookier than it looks. I imagined it to be all fangs and legs. LOL

Now, the endangered {{gwi:166493}} (a type of tarantula), is pretty spooky!

{{gwi:166495}} of a banana spider almost made me bring up breakfast. BLAH!!! *heebie-jeebies*

Your story gave me the willies, too, Fi guy! Are you still checking your shoes and everything that comes into contact with your person? LOL I know I would be!

Brenda

• maryo_nh
    18 years ago

I admire the webs and all. Sometimes I catch the little running crab spiders and toss them out. But one has to draw the line somewhere.... and it's this side of the banana spider...

brrrrrrrrrhwahwahwahwahwabrrrrrrrr!

:) Mary

• comettose
    18 years ago

I catch and let them out if I see them. I like watching the orb spiders construct their web each day. Masterful.

Please don't kill spiders, snakes and bats just because. Have a good reason.

• mike_il
    18 years ago

I reserve the rights to kill all mosquitoes while biting or before. This also applies to flies.
    Mike

• pondmaninfl
    18 years ago

I was in the post office one day, waiting in line. I noticed someone looking up in the corner. When I glanced up, there was a spider sitting there big enough to make Brenda's banana spider look small. We keep getting some type of big spider in the house. I'm talking a little bit bigger than my palm. I usually catch them in a coffee can and throw them out the door. The little jumping spiders are so cute. They look like little tiny tanks.

G'day,
    Scott

• hnladue
    18 years ago

I'm very allergic to spiders... found out the hard way!! Got bit by a house spider and got a fever for 24 hours. Got bit by a brown recluse, almost passed out while riding an elevator... I don't kill spiders, but I keep my distance.... I can't even kill an ant!! I'm such a softie.

• chickadeedeedee
    18 years ago

When St. Kitts was our home all sorts of thingies made their way into the house one way or another. There was a wee baby iguana that lived on a model boat on the refrigerator, there were little geckos in and out all the time. Let us NOT mention the foot + long centipedes!

We collected insects and arachnids for The Ohio State University. One of the creatures we collected was a huge spider, about the size of my hand, and it was a tarantula looking thing.

On one trip to the USA I took our collection to the OSU Entomology Dept. They phoned me a few days later delighted with the addition to their collection. We had given them an unidentified carnivorous beetle and the huge spider.

About the spider they asked, "Where did you find it?"

"Oh," I said, "that was on our living room ceiling."

OSU states: "That isn't a know species but it is VERY similar to a spider that is responsible for hundreds of deaths every year in Brazil."

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C3D, hold the spiders

• somethinsfishy
    18 years ago

If the spider is IN my house is reason enough for me. Sorry to any spider lovers.

We had four of those big scary looking orb spiders building their webs on our house and deck last year. They built their webs in the same spot day after day which was fine because I knew exactly where I could walk without running into web and they where OUTSIDE.

• hnladue
    18 years ago

Dad and I were on our boat couple years ago, getting ready to button down and go to bed. We had spiders on board (why do spiders like to live on boats!?), so I thought I'd spray some raid to get rid of them. Talk about stampeed.... these things were coming out of no where, dropping from the ceiling and scurring along the floor. Needless to say, dad and I left, and went to my aunt's house for the night. Must have been hundreds of them!! So now we learned.... spray boat, button up curtains, and leave for 1/2 hour!!!

• zinniachick
    18 years ago

Chicka3D -- so you know Bugdoc! I interviewed him about cicadas once. Now there's a guy I'd like to have at my party! I could talk to him for hours. A wonderfully strange man.

• somethinsfishy
    18 years ago

hnladue-I would have jumped overboard!

• chickadeedeedee
    18 years ago

Miss Z,

Hmmmmmm. BugDoc? I'm not quite sure who you mean.... Woodbridge? :-)

------------------------------------------

I'm with you Heather. Overboard!

3Ds and a C

• semper_fi
    18 years ago

The Beav wrote:
    "{{gwi:166495}} of a banana spider almost made me bring up breakfast. BLAH!!! *heebie-jeebies*"

Pffffff..... I'll match your puny lil' banana spider and raise you {{gwi:166497}}.

A strange arachnologist, Z-chick??? Is there any other kind?!

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    18 years ago

fishy...9 out of 10 eh? hmmmmmm. maybe he wants them in the house and looses them on purpose....

brenda..."I think my house could be a learning experience for the nearby elementary school, judging by the amount of cobwebs. :D " does this mean my brain also qualifies? i love that you looked up the spiders!

lol, mary!

mike, ever get a mosquito explode???? supposedly, if you squeeze up your skin while it is ingesting....i nver could, but my sister swears she did. kids!

yikes, chicka! double yikes!

i confess. i hvae left the spider webs outside the door and throw millers into the web. *cowering*

i also get horrible raised bumps that i only assume are from spiders. it always happens when i am asleep. they look very much like insane mosquito bites. i usually notice first b/c of a slight itching. but, as soon as i touch it...OW!

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    18 years ago

i just love it when i find a momma wolf spider with her spiderlings on her back!

• mike_il
    18 years ago

The only time that they explode is when I kill them while they are drinking my blood. I never have tried pumping them too full of blood to see if they would explode.
    Mike

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting