Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hair pulling time!

Posted by pondmaninfl z9 FL (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 27, 06 at 21:48

In case anyone has noticed that I've not posted anything the last two nights, it's because it's upgrade time for my computer. We had bought new processor chips. Mine was the only one that hadn't been installed. My wife thought that her graphics card was going out, so she had bought a Radeon 7500 that she later decided that she didn't need. And last week, we bought a 120 Gb HDD for each computer. She now has three HDD's in her computer, a 120 Gb, an 80 Gb, and a 20 Gb. I'm only going to have three in mine temporarily but my 30 Gb can't be found by Windows98. I can copy the contents to my 80 Gb HDD but that will have to happen over night. I will partition the 120 Gb for three operating systems. The 80 Gb will be storage of all files that are not associated with any software. That will include photographs, text documents, web pages, movie clips, drawings, and designs. My third HDD will be formatted and used for a project that is planned for later. I still have to install two operating systems and alot of other software that I haven't gotten to yet. I've not even gotten my favorites installed into Opera yet. Tey're on the hard drive that can't be seen.

I'm ready to pull my hair out!

G'day,
Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hair pulling time!

I gave that up in 1981. It doesn't work. :) Sandy

o

Windows 98???? Dude... get with the 20th century!! Time to install XP or Linux!

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 28, 06 at 10:51

From the subject of your post, Scott, I thought there was some sort of pond forum fight going on! :p

My DH has built 3 computers for his personal use, and every time he starts installing stuff, I run for the hills. All of the hair and cuss words flying around scares the kitty, too.

I hope everything works out for you soon!

Brenda

o

Hnladue, I will also install XP and Mandrake as soon as I get the kinks worked out in the system. I am more comfortable with Windows 98 but I have software that will only work in a OS like XP. When more software comes out for Linux that will fit my needs, I'll use it more.

I finally got the 30 GbHDD to show but now my computer is locking up fro fun.

Oh well.

G'day,
Scott

o

Scott
What wattage is your power supply. Most computers come with a power supply that has just enough wattage to run the components installed when you bought it. As you add more and more peripherals to your PC system - extra hard drives, CD drives - anything that you plug into your motherboard - you put increasing strain on your power supply. The more strain the power supply must bear the more likely it is that you will have problems with inconsistent levels of power. When your system is deprived of a consistent stream of reliable power it will be prone to random hardware failures, bizarre errors and system crashes.

o

Mucky, I'm running a 400 watt power supply. I will be back down to two HDD's after this weekend. My wife has the same set-up as mine and running a 350 watt power supply with no problems. She does have twice as much memory than I do.

G'day,
Scott

o

• Posted by bonz WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 31, 06 at 21:54

Scott,
I feel so sorry for you...oh wait, aren't you the guy who reminded us Northern Ponders all winter of Florida's sunshine, etc.??? Well then.....

o

Bonz, would you like to see what Spring looks like in Florida? >:o)

G'day,
Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here