Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 more pix of the quads...

Posted by sheepco MN z4 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 08 at 22:55

They won't stand still for more...The one looking at you in the group of 4 is our bottle baby.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Nearly lost one, she spent the evening in the laundry room when she got cold and hungry, but is doing much better now being supplemented with a bottle 3 times a day - little piggy! 4 more ewes have lambed (5 ewes, 10 lambs total) so we have a busy barn! The rest of the lambs are about twice this size.

Happy spring from a still snowy Minnesota!
Sarah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 more pix of the quads...

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 28, 08 at 8:55

So precious! I can appreciate those knees. :D Thanks so much for posting those pics, Sarah. I know you must be busy as all get-out lately.

On the way home from my folks' up in Redding yesterday, I saw a field full of sheep with lambs EVERYwhere! Luckily, no one was driving near me on I-5 at that particular moment, because I was Lookie-Loo-ing to the maximum! LOL I love watching the little darlings when they run and jump as though happiness is all they know.

Brenda

o

Four seems like a lot of babies. Are quads common? What's the biggest number of off-spring at one time you have heard of?

They really are adorable,
Mike

o

In 13 years I have had 2 sets of quads (but I average only about 10 to 15 ewes). Some breeds are more prone to multiple births. I have about 10 - 15% triplets, the ideal is twins, though a 200% lamb crop is rarely achieved after early in-utero deaths, still borns, or pre-weaning mortality - for reasons too numerous to mention. I average about 180%, probably because with so few sheep I have time to care for individuals when needed.

As far as largest number of surviving offspring raised without taking a few away for bottle rearing? I dunno! I have a book in front of me with pictures of a Finnsheep ewe (a breed well known for multiple births) that had a total of 27 lambs in 7 years, including quintuplets shown in one photo which she raised without assistance. Well done considering their udders have only two "faucets"!

Brenda, glad you didn't crash - nothing cuter than a lamb "bouncing". Wish I could post videos.

PS: Herb is even happier now that there's bottle feeding going on. He waits patiently for the lamb to finish then he gets to lick the last few drops from the bottle :) Happy cat!

S

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here