Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheepco

Please meet my new family member Leo...or Murphy...or?

sheepco
18 years ago

I've had him 36 hours...

{{gwi:164366}}

Long story made short..a client breeds 2 gorgeous registered golden retrievers (I know both parents), have a couple too many pups, can't sell them all...I dispair at the short-sightedness of some people...

However, against my better judgement and common sense...

{{gwi:166866}}

The last 2 came to me, this one will stay, and the other will go to a fantastic home of a friend.

Emma can't decide if she needs to lick him or stand over him in dominance, Kate thinks he's her new toy, and Lily is hiding under the desk. God, what have I done ???

But he's here to stay, and he'll fit in with the gang. How can you not love a fuzzy golden puppy, and I can't decide what to name him.

He's 10 weeks old, smart, fearless, tail waggin', happy, nose to the ground, a bit defient (tho' he doesn't know what his name is - so I quess that's to be expected), inquisitive, soft, fluffy, fat, VERY calm, superbly socialized (and after I get done draggin' the little fat boy around, even more so!), and gentle. So far it's Leo (Lion-hearted) or Murphy, Piper, Hawk, Royal, or Rebel.

So I'm asking you to weigh in, you know even less about this little tubby guy then I do. Or if you've known a favorite dog or are just saving a favorite name, I'd like to hear :)

Sarah

Comments (24)

• sheepco
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, please no offense to concientious breeders! I have bred 2 litters. So long as one does it knowing the responsibilities! I was despairing at those who don't :)

Sarah

• zinniachick
    18 years ago

He's Tom Dooley.

Of course, I'm partial to the name Rounder since my bubba died -- feel free to use it. :)

I am crazy about your new pup! Congratulations Sarah! He'll probably grow to be lord of those girls and they know it. What a sweetheart!

• zinniachick
    18 years ago

Here's a little Tom Dooley lore. I know it sounds grim, but such is Appalachia. He was reputed to be a great fiddler, a hero, a stunningly handsome lad in addition to being wrongfully hanged for a murder committed by a jealous would-be girlfriend.

Here is a link that might be useful: hang down your head

• youreit
    18 years ago

Awww, what a cuddling machine! Those eyes! That face! He's so babelicious.

I love the names Leo (since I am one) and Dooley! :D

I was going to get a pug puppy a while back, but it turned out that the whole litter had Parvo. :( His name was to be Carl, but He-who-hasn't-been-named doesn't really look like a Carl. :)

Brenda

• isis_nebthet
    18 years ago

I like Leo out the names you have listed. My puppy that I'm keeping from Isis is going to be named Menkhet (okay so I have a thing for naming my dogs after gods and godesses of Egypt..this one is the moon phase of Nephthys). He's a cute little flufferbunny ;) Give him a few kisses on the nose for me...

Adrea

• sleeplessinftwayne
    18 years ago

Don't ask me why but I looked at the picture and thought Ruben.

• zinniachick
    18 years ago

Ruben! That's good!

• sheepco
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Great! I'm loving the suggestions! Keep 'em coming. And add Gabe, how 'bout watergarden names? Hornwort??
    S

• semper_fi
    18 years ago

"He's smart, fearless, tail waggin', happy, nose to the ground, a bit defient, inquisitive, soft, fluffy, fat, VERY calm, superbly socialized, and gentle."

All those adjectives remind me of the late great John Candy in the movie Spaceballs. So my vote goes for {{gwi:166864}}.

May the schwartz be with you! :-)

• pondmaninfl
    18 years ago

Brenda, the phrase,"Just look at that face." is what won my wife over to bring Frances home. That little cute pup that was dumped in front of my brother's house turned into a beautiful, loving dog. Frances is half golden lab and half chow. The only signs of chow on her is the black spots on the tongue and the curled tail.

Cute pup, Sarah.

G'day,
    Scott

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

i vote for murphy. what a sweetheart! so sweet and he knows it, and so will use that when he gets in trouble. hmmm, caramel?

we had a tri color collie at work for three days last weekend. i miss him :( hopefullly, the person who took him home will be good to him. he was such a good boy, and a gentleman.

• bonz
    18 years ago

Sarah, what an adorable little guy!! Good thing he's not a St. Bernard or I'd have to say Tom Drooley. Seeing as I'm in the NCAA basketball mode, how about Charles BARKLEY.
    I had a Golden many years ago named Coty. Naming a puppy is a lot harder than naming kids!!

• youreit
    18 years ago

It always seems like the ones who start out unwanted become the ones that provide the most undivided loyalty and love, doesn't it, Scott? We need updated pics of Frances, too, ya know!

"...how 'bout watergarden names?"

I think Bottom Drain and Skimmer are out, as well as Hyacinth (hey, he's not a sweater dog!) and Mulm. :D Hey, Dechlor! LOL Or Rush....;)

I like Ruben, too! Or Biscuit (all dogs are Biscuits to me, though). Or Baa-Ram-Ewe! I'm getting outta control now....

Brenda

• zinniachick
    18 years ago

Hellebore. But he's such a good boy, it just doesn't fit. Tom Drooley -- heh!

Sassafrass.

• chickadeedeedee
    18 years ago

Oooooooooo! Congratulations on one VERY CUTE puppy! :-)

It is very difficult to pick the perfect name, isn't it? That comes with time and getting to know him better. Everyone had such fantastic suggestions though already!

Goldens are of Scottish origin. To add to the confusion you might consider:

Kenneth / Kenny: meaning handsome, born of fire.

Finlay: meaning fair hero, sunbeam

Goerge? :-)

Mmmmmmmm. Puppy jealousy here.

Chick a confused

• jeanner
    18 years ago

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!

Looks like a Bailey to me :^)

• maryo_nh
    18 years ago

Thankyouthankyou! Puppy pics are so good for the soul!

Name: Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrufus?
    Ever since the Westminster dog show, I just love that name for a dog!

:) Mary

• sheepco
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Leaning toward Murphy, and I love Finlay (actually he's a bit more of a Finney, I'll have to look and see what that means), but Reuben, Gabe and Leo are still in the running.

Sorry, we have a Bailey in the family, also an April, Abby, Tommy, Ki (Kiowa), Bart, Gus, Henry, Babe, Chase, Chance, Jake, Marley, Max, Hannah and last but not least, Thud. (close friends and family). And I have had a Boomer, Brie, Rhett, Peach and Grace, may they all be happy in the big field in the everafter.

This little guy will have a name by the end of the weekend, though he responds pretty promptly to "puppy! puppy! puppy! come!".

Thanks all, I'm in heaven :)

Keep those names comin'

Sarah

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

he does look a little like caramel mixed with bailey's irish cream...i didn't know they had an irish history.

did anyone suggest baxter? not really my taste, but i had a mental pop up.

• sheepco
    Original Author
    18 years ago

'I had a mental pop up'...LOL, definately a new phrase I need to use!

His name is Murphy (at least today), it seems to fit him. I have to add silly and clown to my list of adjectives - so I hope he matures to fit the name meaning 'sea warrior'. Right now he's just absolutely adorable! I don't think I've ever had a more outgoing yet calm pup. Maybe it's the diffence between getting one at 7 or 8 weeks old and Murphy's 10 weeks. Anyway, the family that bred them did a good job socializing them.

Thanks for all your ideas!

Sarah

• sheepco
    Original Author
    18 years ago

By the way, one of the first things the little 'cutie' did was bite the phone cord going to my computer, disabling my internet access 'til I bought a new cord the next day. Within 24 hours my house was "puppy-proofed"!

And for those of you here up north thinking of a new pup...give it a few weeks. Coffee only stays hot for 47 seconds when you're standing outside at 6:05am in your bathrobe waiting for the puppy to pee.

GOOOOOD DOG!!

• youreit
    18 years ago

LOL!!! Murphy's a great name! And he's already a little stinker in the typical way of puppies. They must know that their cuteness goes a long way toward forgiving their naughtiness.

If my DH bit through the phone cord, he'd at least get the rolled up newspaper treatment, if not the "Bad Hubby!" scolding of a lifetime. :D

Brenda

• zinniachick
    18 years ago

Who threw the overalls in Mrs. Murphy's chowder
    Nobody spoke so I shouted all the louder
    'tis an Irish trick it's true
    and I can lick the Mick who threw
    the overalls in Mrs. Murphy's chowwwwwder.

--tradit.

• gardens1948
    18 years ago

Look at that face. He's as cute as a Teddy Bear. I vote Teddy or Bear. I like either one for a big dog.

Ann