Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Got Link 2??

Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 8, 06 at 10:42

Since the other thread is at its limit, I thought another one might be in order.

I actually received this movie via email, but I don't have a place to host it. Hope this link works, because it's hilarious. :D

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Toot Tone

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Got Link 2??

What's the pollen count in or near your neck of the woods?

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 9, 06 at 11:17

As of 4/5/06, mold is at 5993, but they say that's low??

Trees were at 25 (moderate?); weeds and grasses were absent. Too much rain here!

Hang in there, Pollen Eye Guy!

Brenda

o

The Dayton, Oh. count is 62.

That is roughly 4.769 x 13, dontchaknow?

C3Decongestants :-)

o

Thought this article mentioning a nekkid rat was appropriate for today. Too bad there was no mention of a Dipstick to complete the trifecta... though I guess technically a Mole qualifies. LOL!

o

"...KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - Inside a small clear tube, a naked mole-rat decides to change direction. Contorting its wrinkled, hot dog-shaped body, the animal nearly somersaults over itself and pokes out its head on the other side. It shows off four big teeth, sniffs the air and turns around again... "

That is too funny! What a life, eh?

You have some sort of GPS device to find these things Semper or is that classified?

o

Yet further proof that the world is going to hell in an Easter handbasket.

Hmmmm.... wonder if this might spin off into a new TV series on FOX: When Good Rabbits Go Bad .

o

I had bought tickets for Wicked the Broadway Musical over 6 months ago as a b-day gift for the better-half. We saw the show yesterday and it was OUTSTANDING... and this comes from someone who is not into that sort of stuff (despite the Sweater Boy image). I think most of you folks would enjoy it immensely.

So if it's coming to your area, check it out. I HIGHLY recommend it.

o

Sun, May 21, 06 at 13:00

Awww, Portland or San Diego is the closest it gets to me! I've always wondered about the story behind those 2 ladies, too. What a great idea for someone to finally write it! :)

Brenda

o

From my email box today...

Here is a link that might be useful: Talking Dogs Video

o

For all the XYs out there........

:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Duct Tape Festival ! Wooooo Hoooo !!!

o

LOL! Woooooo Hoooo indeed. That's genius!

-Card carrying XY since MCMLXVIII

Here is a link that might be useful: Duct Tape in Space!

o

The Tsunami is history however the need for assistance continues....

Here is a link that might be useful: Heifer.org

o

Fri, Jun 16, 06 at 9:39

Thanks for that link, C3D! How quickly "we" forget...

Very different topic, but I was just reading that Bill Gates is planning to semi-retire (not hang around the office any more) in 2008. As much as many folks love to hate the guy, I credit him with bringing more computers into the homes and hands of people who wouldn't otherwise have a clue how to use them by introducing his ease-of-use technology (Windows!) to the world. And he also donates big time $$$$! :D

Thanks, Mr. Gates! :)

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: The Wit and Wisdom of Bill Gates

o

Our mold count is off the hook! 16262 today!

I never really surf the web so I have no funny links. I need to get a life! lol

Oops, gotta go...my cell phone is ringing! lol

o

Bill Gates was just one of the many entrants in the race to influence computer development when I was selling the things. He was one of the very few who wanted to have machines from different manufacturers talk to each other without the necessity for writing code or hooking things together with special cables or all of the other ridiculous things we don't have to do today. He was the butt of endless jokes and sarcastic comments from just about everyone in the industry. Now the companies who were so anxious to keep everything proprietary are long gone and people who would never have bought a computer are happily signing on to the internet without a single goto or if/then statement.
He has succeeded beyond any one's imagining and has shown amazing restraint and grace while he did it. As far as I am concerned he is an admirable human being. Those who don't like him or his company are just chewing on sour grapes.

o

VERY well said, Sandy. I think most who criticize Gates are just envious of his $$,$$$,$$$,$$$.$$ net worth. I'm not sure if he has always been a very giving person though because seems like I remember several years ago reading an article that he consistently made the list of one of the stingiest philanthropists according to their income. Not sure if the article was another ploy to make the guy look bad and it was never an issue with me personally since, after all, it's HIS money and he can do as he wants.

Anybody here following the World Cup?! (Gardenweb Pond Forum's collective reponse can be found here). Seriously, now that the 1st round is over, the REAL soccer begins tomorrow which should interest even some of the most casual watchers. Of course, now that the stinkin' U.S. team has been ousted, I need to find a new team to cheer for.... I do like English's style of play and especially their passion for the sport. Spain looks good too.

Here is a link that might be useful: World Cup Schedule

o

i just love these descriptions!

Here is a link that might be useful: frogs and toads.

o

Why does the combination of the words stingy and philanthropist sound so strange to me? Sandy

o

Fri, Jun 30, 06 at 15:32

FTM, it's strange, I think I hear a Pinewoods Treefrog now, but then....nothing...then again...then I hit "enter"...and there he is again! LOL

I love those descriptions, too!

(It's almost like having a list of the most outgoing introverts, huh, Sandy! Or the most serious comedians.)

Brenda

o

Now comedy is a very, very serious subject.

o

lol, sandy! and, brenda, you lost me...

o

Sat, Jul 1, 06 at 19:33

LOL Sorry, FTM. The description of the Pinewoods Treefrog was "like typing." :D

I almost lost myself there.

Brenda

o

i can relate to that! i get lost very easily.

o

has this been posted before?

Here is a link that might be useful: just a click a day!

o

Thu, Jul 6, 06 at 13:50

Yes, but I'm still glad you posted it again! I visit that site every day, and wish more folks could/would, as well. :)

Here's one that I know we'll all appreciate....especially 'Poo! :D

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: The Archive of Misheard Lyrics

o

i love that site brenda! i was 34 before i knew that pink floyd was yelling, "how can you eat your pudding if you don't eat your meat." or something like that, per dh, a p.f. fan.

Here is a link that might be useful: interview with God

o

many probably read this but not seen it.

Here is a link that might be useful: beautifully done!

o
another

this is hilarious!

Here is a link that might be useful: dogs gone wild

o

There's a ~~whole~~ bunch of other products from this VERY reputable company!! Please do have a look around the site.

C3D

Here is a link that might be useful: 911 Flag :-(

o

Tue, Jul 25, 06 at 14:36

I had a hard time viewing this due to my dial-up, but I have great hopes for the rest of you! :)

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Alaska Grizzly Bears, McNeil River Falls

o

Fri, Jul 28, 06 at 11:24

This is an awesome organization for a GREAT group of kids! :)

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Children of Chernobyl

o

Mon, Aug 7, 06 at 9:51

Two hundred million light-years wide!! Space is awesome.

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Giant 'Blob' Is Largest Thing in Universe

o

i found this while researching what end a toad pellet comes out.

Here is a link that might be useful: can u guess it

o

Here's a very accurate field research study about our attitudes while coming home from work on Friday vs. going to work on Monday.

o

absolutely priceless!

o

Mon, Aug 21, 06 at 12:26

Maybe some of you have already heard of the terrible things going on in Juarez, Mexico. Four hundred murdered and 4,500 missing women...

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: The Juarez Project

o

Heyyyy... I've been there. It didn't seem all that bad when I was there (circa 1991). The roughest part of the the town, by far, were most of the so-called "roads".

o

Sun, Aug 27, 06 at 14:20

I actually meant to say that all of those stats (400 murdered, 4,500 missing) were women.

And on a lighter note...

After having put all of my DFIL's contacts into his new cell phone yesterday, I can relate with wanting to throw a few of them...far and wide.

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Finn takes gold at mobile phone throwing contest

o

this person is also entertaining....

Here is a link that might be useful: 100 years of pictures

o

I nearly drove off the road when I heard this news story on the radio this morning. The visual of what must have transpired at the airport with the guy getting slammed to the ground and wondering if his adult toy was some sort of illegal contraband, is pretty dang funny.

o

i'm dying here! i had to send this to my friend airport security supervisor :) though, may have already heard. did i see it was ohare in illinois?

o

• Posted by bonz WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 15, 06 at 23:31

A very cool game. Careful, this could be addicting..........

http://www.107.peugeot.co.uk/peugeot.swf

o

Water bill too high? Maybe it's not because of the drought.... maybe there's another problem!!!

o

Tue, Sep 19, 06 at 12:26

I want that kitty! LOL

Brenda

o

Wed, Sep 20, 06 at 11:03

Arrrgghhhh! I missed this yesterday. Thanks to Cap'n Slappy and Ol' Chumbucket...and Dave Barry!

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Talk Like A Pirate Day

o

JEEEEESUS H. CHRIST!

Ain't there a law against grown people dressing up as _______ (fill in the blank) unless it's for a Halloween party?!?!

If there isn't, there SHOULD be! :-)

o
Oh Yeah!

I need to find the link Hnladue had posted a while back with the dog puppet making fun of the Star Wars fanatics. One of the funniest things I had seen in a long while.

o

Thu, Sep 21, 06 at 10:40

Below is just one page with it, Fi guy. :D

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Triumph interviews Star Wars nerds

o

Too funny! Thanks for the link. It's still one of the best. The guy speaking for the puppet is REALLY, REALLY good being able to come up with some of that stuff just off the cuff like that.

"So which one of these buttons calls your parents to pick you up?!?!"

LOL!

o

Tue, Oct 10, 06 at 10:27

I think this is a one-seater, so you can ignore the screams of, "Shotgun! I got shotgun!!"

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: M400X Skycar

o

Heyyyy.... that's really cool. And it's currently at a measly $2.5 mil (reserve not met). Too bad I'm still $1,000,000 shy of being a millionaire because the way things are building around here, looks like I may need one to make the 10 mile trek to work.

Speaking of planes... whatever happened to Mr. Youreit's aspirations to build/fly his own plane (ultralight was it?)?

I've been counting the days until October 20th to go see this movie. Looks like it might be a good one.

o

Wed, Oct 18, 06 at 10:55

Wellll...he bought the ultralight, a Kolb Firestar something or other, I think (a.k.a. Death Machine). He started working to repair some of the damage that occurred when the previous owner had it tied up during a wind storm, and it blew over.

He just realized that the repair job is way over his head, so it's up for sale. I knew if I waited long enough, this, too, would come to pass. (I thought it might have been my threats of putting sugar in the tank prior to his maiden voyage...) We've gone through DH's two camp trailer phases, as well as his classic El Camino phase and other assorted phases that I must have blacked out. :D

That looks like it'll be a GREAT flick!

Brenda

o

MAN! I thought a Ford Pinto was a "death machine" until I saw Kolb Firestar something or other.

BTW, for future endeavors (yes, there WILL be others... It's an XY thing, you wouldn't understand!), you might want to reconsider the sugar in the gas tank idea. The sugar doesn't stop the engine from starting nor does it seize the engine immediately. It has a slow cumulative effect. So the plane might have been able to take off and then puttt....cough....sputterrr.... CRASHHH! D'OH!!! :-)

I wish I had this guy's time and patience.

o

Wed, Oct 25, 06 at 10:20

Ok, the sugar's out. Sure glad I posted that on here first. LOL

The University of Cambridge has untaken the HUGE responsibility of putting the entire work(s) of Charles Darwin online. "...every Darwin publication as well as many of his handwritten manuscripts. All told there are more than 50,000 searchable text pages and 40,000 images." ETCETERA!

I'm in heaven. :D

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: The complete work of Charles Darwin

o

Some of you might like this one as it involves a pond, toads, and a groovy dog:

Here is a link that might be useful: Click 'LISTEN' for audio story

o

Fri, Oct 27, 06 at 9:39

Frenching the toad!!! That's the most hilarious story I've ever heard! Can't wait to share it with friends and family. *still laughing*

Brenda

o

oh my....
oh my, oh my...
how many times do i have to type that for this to stop rejecting my message???

o

"how many times do i have to type that for this to stop rejecting my message???"

Oh geeez! Lets not find out! :-)

From an email:

Why Dogs Bite People:

o

ok, i'll type up here and see if it rejects it again. you know, semper, i am too ornery to pass that dare up. i did lose my patience with it, though.

why does it tell me to provide an email address, title and message when all that is there and an email address isn't required? oh my...still rejecting it. i'll change the title back.
oh my, oh my...
oh my, oh my, oh my...
oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my...
oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my...
oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my...
oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my...
oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my...
oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my..., oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my..., oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my...,

you win semper. what do they think this is, some kind of code that it keeps rejecting?

o

Sat, Oct 28, 06 at 10:46

I just tried typing only

oh my...

too, FTM, and it wouldn't let me without providing an email address, etc. Not sure why, but they may have set it up so posts are only allowed after a minimum amount of text is used. Weird.

LOVE those pics, Fi guy! For some reason, I'm craving hot dogs now...

On a more Halloweenie note - Who on earth would pay $1 million for hell?

Brenda

o

Semper, your dog and toad story had me gasping for breath, I was laughing so hard. Then the animals in costume made me think I was hallucinating. The Lady St. Bernardette gave me the hiccups. LOL! Sandy

o

Here are some "common sense" rules to follow this Halloween season:

1.When it appears that you have killed the monster, never check to see if it's really dead. It isn't.

2.Never read a book of demon summoning aloud, even as a joke.

3.Do not search the basement or attic, even if the power is out.

4.If your children speak to you in Latin or any other language that they should not know, shoot them immediately. Shooting them will save you much grief in the long run; however, it will take several rounds to kill them, so be prepared. This tip also applies to anyone who speaks with someone else's voice.

5.When you have the benefit of numbers, never pair off and go alone.

6.As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to Hell.

7.Never stand in, on, or above a grave, tomb, or crypt. This rule also applies to any other house of the dead.

8.If appliances start operating by themselves, do not check for short circuits. Again, get the hell out.

9.Don't fool with recombinant DNA technology unless you're sure you know what you're doing.

10.If you're running from the monster, expect to trip or fall down at least twice--more if you are of the female persuasion. Also note that despite the fact that you are running and the monster is merely shambling along, it's still moving fast enough to catch up with you.

11.If your companions suddenly begin to exhibit uncharacteristic behavior such as hissing, fascination with blood, glowing eyes, increasing hairiness, and so on, kill them immediately.

12.If your car runs out of gas at night on a lonely road, do not go to the nearby deserted-looking house to use the telephone. If you think that it is strange you ran out of gas because you thought you had most of a tank, shoot yourself in the head. You are going to die anyway and most likely be eaten.

13.Stay away from certain geographical locations, some of which are listed here: Amityville, Elm Street, Haddonfield, Transylvania, Nilbog (you're in trouble if you recognize this one), anywhere in Texas where chainsaws are sold, the Bermuda Triangle, and any small town in Maine, Maryland, and Massachusetts.

14.Beware of strangers bearing strange tools like chainsaws, staple guns, hedge trimmers, electric carving knives, combines, lawn mowers, butane torches, soldering irons, and ice picks.

15.If you discover that your house is built upon a cemetery, now is the time to move in with the in-laws. This rule also applies to previous inhabitants who went mad or committed suicide or died in some horrible fashion.

16. If there are supernatural elements going on around you, don't have sex. Especially if you are a blond.

17. If you are a blond, dye your hair! You have a much better chance of survival if you are a brunette, or redhead.

18. If the phone goes dead just when you are about to call for help, don't waist time jiggling the receiver cradle and shouting "Hello" into the receiver. Giving away your position while masking the sounds of the opponents approach is NOT a good tactic.

19. Never try to read aloud from books when they are written in some obscure dead language, even if you are a linguistics expert. There are reasons why certain languages are dead.

20. Never turn your back on stuffed animals, dolls or clowns. They may seem innocent enough, but they are really demons laying in wait.

21. Do not try destroying same dolls, animals or clowns with fire, water, or exorcism, as this only pi$$es them off. Just resign yourself to the fact that your life is over.

22. If you forget/drop/lose something while a monster is on the loose, it probably isn't the wisest idea to go looking for it later. This principle especially applies to cats.

23. Never help a clown out of a drain hole - all clowns are evil!

24. If you walk into the local abandoned-looking church to seek help or shelter, and you notice that the crucifix is mounted upside down, turn around and go back outside as quietly as possible.

25. If you are a female, never expose yourself. Easy women die fast.

Addendums???

o

Sun, Oct 29, 06 at 8:38

LOL!!

26. Make sure to surround yourself with friends who are "Doubting Thomases" (the more, the better), because they will be the first who are attacked and killed by any monster/demon/spawn of satan, giving you time to make your escape.

27. Don't be lured into a false sense of security by those who tend to overuse phrases like, "It'll be ok," "You'll see I'm right about this," "This is the last time we'll go in there (....out there), I promise," etc...

28. Turn down any babysitting jobs that involve children named Damien or Regan.

29. If you have to ask, "Did you hear that?" ("...see that?", "...smell that?", etc.), then don't; just get the hell out, and ask questions later.

30. If the priest gets queasy and breaks out in a sweat when you ask him to bless your home, move.

Next!

Brenda

o

31. always carry a gun. that way, when you run up the stairs to get away from whoever is chasing you, you can just shoot yourself and claim the darwin award.

o

LOL especially @ #28,30, & 31.

32. If you witness a goulish and unnaturally green colored frog eating a fish underwater, take immediate action. Stand on top of the highest rock next to the pond facing said frog. Cross your index fingers together while at the same time extending both middle fingers to form a 'W'. While an assistant sprays some filtered water at the possessed subject, repeat the following: "THE POWER OF WEBFEEET COMPELS YOU... THE POWER OF WEBFEEET COMPELS YOU... THE POWER OF WEBFEEET COMPELS YOU...".

Now serving #33...

o

&*^% your good!

33. despite being good oral hygiene, do not walk around with a toothbrush in your mouth. at best, you will fall down and choke. at worst, you will summon the tall man in phantasm.

o

Wed, Nov 1, 06 at 9:18

LOL! Good ones!

A little something for a Halloween hangover...

(There are some GREAT links in this article!)

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Tips & Tweaks - Post-Halloween Goodies

o

So I'm out and about today and just decided to check out the new local bookstore. While there I picked up a new book to hopefully explore some new trails. I know you're not suppose to judge a book by its cover, but ya'll reckon it's safe to take mountain biking (or any kinda) advice from a dude with that particular last name?!?! :-)

o

Decided to wait to see this movie today. It is not as great as say, Saving Private Ryan but it is still pretty darn good. An interesting history lesson... so it's well worth watching, IMO.

o

Sat, Nov 11, 06 at 13:08

I can see how it would be hard to top SPR. That was an intensely well-done flick.

Below is a link to some artwork by war vets. Some images are understandably raw.

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Experiencing War (The Art of War)

o

I decided to go shopping for a handheld GPS to explore some unchartered trails in NC next week. As I'm walking into the store, I can't help but notice DOZENS of dweeeeebs just like the ones in this article who were camping outside the store apparently so they can be the very first to get their grubby hands on the new PS3 game console. Pretty sad, IMHO. At this rate, perhaps we need to rename this country: LOSERS-R-US. :-(

o

Fri, Nov 17, 06 at 9:55

Yeah, that's insane. I guess Sony is only sending 300,000 of the units to the U.S. for the time being, so it's Trekkie-ville all over again. :D

There's already been a drive-by shooting (ok, with a BB gun, but hey, you'll shoot your eye out with one of those!), and another group of campers in Connecticut were robbed and one was shot when he refused to give up his money.

Their parents must be so proud.

Brenda

o

I've always enjoyed watching those who are the very best @ their jobs or in their craft. The dazzling symphony of the Blue Angels, Michael Jordan sinking that last second game-winning basket, or Norm Abram making those awesome pieces of furniture are some of the ones that come to mind.

I've never heard of Steve Hamilton but after watching that video, there's little doubt that he is incredibly talented. Gravity??? What's dat?!

(If you're running a pop-up blocker, you MIGHT have to temporarily disable it for the video to load. At least that was the case for me.)

o

Tue, Nov 21, 06 at 9:53

Well, you know the ol' dial-up story, but I'll keep an eye out for him TV! Love watching that stuff.

Another talent I've seen, one that gives me the willies, is the one where the mountain bikers go bouncing around on rock ledges (there MUST be a technical term for it) and assorted things usually very high up on mountains. I almost can't stand to watch them, they're SO on the edge! Wish I could view movies online showing those guys, too. :D

Brenda

o

Hunters have always been somewhat of a safety concern for mountain bikers especially in remote areas around this time of the year. While riding on secluded trails, I always hope that people's "common sense" would prevail.... but after reading this story, I'm now even more convinced that there are wayyyy too many wackos out there.

Coincidentally, I wasn't too far that exact area last Thanksgiving weekend discovering some new trails. Pretty messed up, no?

o

Thu, Nov 30, 06 at 7:41

Man, it's stories like that which really make me wonder about (sports and) human nature.

Note to self - Stay away from Chevy Corsica owners, and refrain from using the phrase, "I'm invisible," when around cammo'd gun owners.

Bullet-proof Spandex might be in order....

Brenda

o

Spandex??? You couldn't catch me DEAD in those things. I'll take the bullet and die gracefully, thank you very much! Years ago when I used to dabble in racing road bikes. I was considered a rebel and an outcast for refusing to shave my arms/legs to reduce wind drag. I gladly gave up the extra 0.0005 seconds for my dignity. :-)

This article got my blood boiling today. OUR tax dollars hard at work! *GROAN*

o

Ya just gotta love politicians. I heard on the news today that Texas is trying to pass a bill to allow the blind to hunt!!! I think if this becomes law, the ole' saying that only 2 things come from Texas may no longer hold true because they both would be DEAD from gunshot wounds!

Here is a link that might be useful: Only in America!

o

...Texas is trying to pass a bill to allow the blind to hunt!!!
I think they got the idea from Wisconsin. There the handicapped, including the blind, are permitted to hunt from roadways. Sandy

o

ok. nothing against blind people. nothing against hunting. thoughi may be a treehugger and an animal lover, i feel hunting is a necessity since we have basically destroyed nature's balance. however, i cannot commnet further without cussing on this one. yeesh.

o

Thu, Dec 14, 06 at 10:49

We all have our limitations, whether big or small, and sometimes, you just have to say, "That's not for me." Or, "No, thanks, I'll hunt with my sighted buddies." :D

I liked the comment in the article about race car driving and how it might not be the next best choice on the list of things blind folks might tackle.

Maybe those X-treme sports kids aren't as extreme as they originally thought. Skateboarding blind...don't give them any ideas! LOL

Brenda

o

I'm far from being a treehugger, but I personally never understood the thrill of that hobby. I means what's the point, unless the thing you're hunting is holding an AK47?!?!

o

Fri, Dec 15, 06 at 8:39

I, personally, wouldn't care to eat venison, pheasant, duck, etc., any more than I'd want to eat a...well, a pet. To be honest, I just don't like the gamey taste of wildlife. But DH grew up eating stuff like that, so he still enjoys the hunt, as well as the feast. I just complain about the smell. :)

Brenda

Speaking of pets....:)

Dogs, Too, Have a Place on the Internet

Three years ago, when Web designer Ted Rheingold developed an Internet site where people could post their favorite pictures to share with the world, he discovered an interesting phenomenon. It wasn't pictures of people or places that were the most popular. It was pictures of dogs. Thus, Dogster.com was born.

"The philosophy of Dogster is that every dog deserves a web page," said Rheingold, whose hobby has evolved into a big business. "I made a place that people could add photos of their dog and add any kinds of information."

Dogster.com has become incredibly successful. A quarter million human members have created Web sites for 300,000 of their pets. "I had a feeling that really passionate people were going to enjoy the site," said Rheingold. "I had no idea how many there were."

Dogster.com is similar to MySpace.com, but it's for dogs. Visitors to the Web site will find profiles of canines with pictures, the likes and dislikes of individual dogs, and in some cases, the story of the dog's life, as if written by the pooch himself. "It's a dog show. It's a parade of good dogs," said Rheingold. "The photos are always the best photos, the dogs are always on their best behavior. The funniest stories always come out."

On the second floor of a San Francisco office building, Dogster's 14 fulltime employees are encouraged to bring their dogs to work. As a black labrador chases a ball under a table, another dog spreads out on a couch for a stomach rub. "We get to bring our dogs to work, and we just get to look at cute dog and cat pictures all day," said Rheingold. "You can't beat that."

While it is mostly a fun Web site -- a virtual visit with a pet -- there is also a serious side to Dogster.com. When Matthew, a brown and tan chow chow mix ran off the day after Thanksgiving in a north Sacramento neighborhood, immediately those searching for him put a bulletin on the Web site.

"Several people from Dogster have actually responded as far as even Oakland and Vallejo and Folsom and all away across the United States," said Shelli LaMadrid of West Sacramento who helped organize the search.

The web page for Matthew featured several pictures, a map where he was last seen and several contact numbers. Thanks in part to Dogster.com, on December 10, Matthew was found and is in good shape. "Everybody has really been a huge help in trying to locate him," LaMadrid said.

With Dogster.com's success, Rheingold also has launched an accompanying site, Catster.com. But dog lovers will be happy to know, canine contributors greatly outnumber friends of the felines by about four to one. On an average day, 35,000 visits are registered at Dogster.com.

o

Somebody (I think Jeanner) had posted this link last year in the previous Got Link thread. It is definitely worth reposting. It's still one of my favorites...

Here is a link that might be useful: Got Holiday Lights???

o

Wed, Dec 27, 06 at 11:37

I still have that video saved on my hard drive! It's definitely my favorite holiday video. I was bummed to see that Miller Lite has "stolen" the idea for one of their commercials. Not too original of them.

Brenda

o

Sun, Dec 31, 06 at 8:00

For those of you who are having unusually warm winters so far (not us, with more days of temps into the 20s than I can ever remember having!)....got snow?

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Genuine Colorado Snow Blizzard I and II 2006!

o

LOL! People have wayyyyy too much time on their hands. Funny stuff though.

I see on the Bidder's List that some idiot had ordered 5!!! Now that's just being plain greedy (he must HATE school)! One is enough for me. It will be a nice addition to the roller coaster weather we're having here. We're seeing consistent high 50's & low 60's temps the last couple of weeks after it was getting down in the low teens in early December. Riding on a mountain trail when the wind chill is 8 degrees is a chilling experience!

o

Can somebody explain to me why these guys even bother with helmets?!?!

Freaky, no?

o

Thu, Jan 11, 07 at 10:07

ACK!!! What is WRONG with those guys?! LOL

Pic #3...Ummmm, the back tire is...

Pic #4...I'm having a coronary.

The cracks! "Did you hear that?" *grunt, wheelie* "Hear what?"

And the helmet comment was hilarious! They're just not right in the head.

Brenda

o

"Pic #3...Ummmm, the back tire is...

....half way between Cliff of Moher, Ireland and HELL!!!

That's just proof that there's a VERY fine line between courage and insanity. Yep, those guys ain't right! I think the reason helmets are used is so that their remains can be easier identified from the fiberglass fragments removed from their buttocks!!!

o

OK so not counting sports I watch hardly any TV but this is one show that I really look forward to watching. Saw it for the first time last season and I thought it was OUTSTANDING. Anybody else enjoys the show?

Here is a link that might be useful: 24 (Season 6)

o

Can somebody explain to me why these guys even bother with helmets?!?!

I think the answer is quite obvious, Semper. If the daylight starts to fade before they finish their trail, they can switch on their HID headlamps and safely finish their awesome ride and make it home.

Was this a trick question?

Mike

BTW: I love the series 24, although 13 was better. :-)

o

Mmmmmmmm. Anyone need a Brain Gelatin Mold?

Fill the plastic brain mold with a customized gelatin mix and a few hours later, out pops a life-size, anatomically correct brain. Delicious! Recipe included. LOL!!!

Uhhh, Semper? Maybe better not click on the link below. :-)

C3D

Here is a link that might be useful: Brain Mold

o

That makes me wanna puke my brains out!!! 8-)

o

Fri, Jan 19, 07 at 8:09

I'm thinking of the possibilities....haggis, for example. Who needs to eat the real thing when you have this? :D

I stumbled upon the Nothing Important page when looking for pics of the bumblebee bat (4th from the bottom). I could get lost in the rest of the interesting stuff, though!

I received this next tidbit via email...very touching and heartfelt...*sniffle*

I found this wonderful winter poem and thought it might be a comfort to you.
It was to us, and it's very well written.
ENJOY!

" WINTER "
a poem by Abigail Elizabeth McIntyre

SH@#!
It's Cold!

o

hmmm, i think i have copyrights on that. just kidding! :)
i said the exact thing several times last night. our january winds are here!

interesting link.

o

Sat, Jan 20, 07 at 8:50

I think I want to add this to my "when I win the lottery" list. :D

Brenda

San Franciso Bay Setting for New Class of Watercraft

On a crystal clear day on the bay, it appears like a spider skating on ice. And with a handful of invited guests observing from a nearby boat, The Proteus set sail as a new class of ocean-going vessel.

At 100 feet long with a beam of 50 feet, the Wave Adaptive Modular Vessel, or WAM-V as it's called, looks like a contraption out of a science fiction movie. Even inventor Dr. Ugo Conti of El Cerrito says he cannot describe it to anyone. Mounted high above and between two inflatable pontoons is the bridge from where the pilot and co-pilot control the 12-ton boat. Behind the pilothouse is a detachable cargo hold, which can also be converted into living quarters.

During a 45-minute cruise around the San Francisco Bay, its first official public unveiling, Conti said the ship performed perfectly. "It is a completely different motion from another boat. Completely different," he said. "It is a much faster motion because it is so light. So it is really dancing a little bit on the waves."

With a possible payload of 4,000 pounds and a range of 5,000 miles, the new breed of ships could be used for several applications. Conti said oceanic research and emergency search and rescues at sea are two likely uses. The advantages, he said, are the flexible pontoons which, unlike conventional craft, absorb much of the pounding in rough seas, thus providing a smoother ride.

The passenger and captain's cabin is attached to the pontoon with hinges and joints, which provide further cushion. "The motion is not this slow-type of motion with big ship, but it's very fast like a car," Conti said.

The WAM-V's inventor would not divulge what the maximum speed of the vessel is, saying only that they are continuing tests at sea. Nor would he put a price on the project, other than to say it is well below $5 million.

By this summer, Conti hopes to have tests complete. He said he would then like to start marketing the new WAM-V ocean-going vessel.

Here is a link that might be useful: WAM-V

o

don't they look cozy!

Here is a link that might be useful: wavelit.com

o

Sun, Jan 21, 07 at 12:56

Dang, I couldn't see them! I bet they're beautiful!

Brenda

o

hmmm, wonder if you have to download something?

Here is a link that might be useful: home page

o

Mon, Jan 22, 07 at 8:06

I tried it again just now, FTM, and it looks like they're sleeping. :D Very cozy. I just need to remember to look in on them when they might be a little active in there.

Brenda

o

Thu, Jan 25, 07 at 9:40

This picture was posted over in the Cali forum today, and I just had to share! Beautiful sculpture (in TX). I want one! :)

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Horse sculpture w/water feature

o

still snoozing! every time i look in, it looks like the same pattern of snowfall. maybe it just snows a lot.

o

I laughed my arse off when I read this article. Proof once again that truth can sometimes be stranger than fiction!!!

o

Fri, Jan 26, 07 at 9:26

OMG, I read that, Fi guy, and thought, Is this 2007??

When my bro first got out of the Navy, he made the mistake of driving down there, instead of walking. On his way to the boarder and back home, he was pulled over at least 4 times (for questionable reasons), and each time, he had to "donate" something to the police force or else spend some vacation time in jail. The last time, when he had nothing else to give, he was lucky enough to witness a crazy driver skidding past him and the "cop". The officer took off after the other driver, and Brian was home free.

Their new weapons sound like a step up in the world...

Brenda

o

Tue, Jan 30, 07 at 9:48

Click on the "Consumer Opt-out" link from the site below to find out if any of these dirty, rotten companies have put tracking cookies on your computer. I block all unknown cookies, but most folks don't.

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Network Advertising Initiative

o

Fri, Feb 2, 07 at 9:35

I always take care of our taxes myself, and for those of you who do, as well, there's something new for the 2006 tax year called the telephone tax refund. Just about everyone is eligible, so make sure you get what you're due! No extra forms to fill out, either, if you take the standard amount.

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Telephone Tax Refund Q & A

o

Mon, Feb 5, 07 at 9:33

Holy cruise ships!! This would have been amazing to see. Twenty-seven-foot clearance!

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen Mary 2 Goes Under Golden Gate Bridge - Barely

o

This is what happens when Star Trek meets Monty Python???

o

LOL!!!

*~*HOW*~* do you find these things, Semper?!?!?

C3D :-)

o

I reckon it's a gift AND a curse! Mostly the latter though. 8-)

ps: Did you see the lego version of that song? It is one of the recommended videos that shows up on the screen after the Star Trek bit finishes playing. People got wayyyyy too much time on their hand to make that work. Pretty funny though.

o

I *DID* see the lego version a while ago. LOL! That was a good one too.

Too much time on my hands, C3D :-)

o

Thu, Feb 8, 07 at 8:55

Nah, Chicka! You've got DSL, I bet, so you're not wasting much time. I wish I had more time to view all of the video links posted! I just know I'm missing something earth-shattering. LOL

The link below will probably take a little time, even with DSL, if you want to see how your job might be killing you. :D

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Age-o-Matic from Career Builder

o

Nope Brenda,

I gots dial-up. I just start to load the video and go off to do something else and get back to the 'puter.

LOL! Great link! :-)

C3D

o

For those of the forum members who have crabs.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Crabbage Patch

o

lmao! care to rephrase that, chicka? (thanks, i needed that)

o

Wed, Feb 14, 07 at 9:49

LOL! Oooo, they can be pets?! I can't believe I think they're cute....LOL

Brenda

o

Awww. FTM, we have crabs. Eight Hermit Crabs at the last official census. But that isn't a guarantee there are still *ONLY* eight. They may **MAGICALLY** increase in population like the koi have been known to do here. LOL!

They are very cool pets.

I woke VERY early one Sunday morning to the sound of something tapping on glass. What the heck!?!?!? I turned the lights on and went in search of the source of the noise. I bet you folks anything you would never guess what was making the noise!

>

>

>

>

>

>

In the 55 gallon terrarium is one of the Hermit Crabs doing a very fine impersonation of Tarzan swinging through his jungle. He had climbed up into the live palm tree and was swinging back and forth hitting the side of the terrarium with his shell. At first I thought he was stuck somehow but no ... He seemed to be swinging just for fun. The other HCs were doing what they usually do at night ... quietly. LOL!!!

Hermit Crabs are relaxing!

o

Thu, Feb 15, 07 at 9:15

OMG, that's hilarious, Chicka!! And so cute! I could just hear him (if I had a HC hearing device), "Wheeeeeee!"

Brenda

o

Fri, Feb 16, 07 at 9:45

I just read about this today, and I found one of the "2111" jars in my cupboard!

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: CDC tracks peanut butter contamination

o

Not for Girlie Men.

o

Tue, Mar 13, 07 at 9:33

Holy refreshments! The warning is a real head scratcher...I thought we were ALL sinners! According to some, anyway. :D

"Warning to sinners: If you are a sinner or evil in nature, this product may cause burning, intense heat, sweating, skin irritations, rashes, itchiness, vomiting, bloodshot and watery eyes, pale skin color, and oral irritations."

Here is a link that might be useful: Holy Drinking Water

o

this is cool

Here is a link that might be useful: buy tshirt, donate to charity

o

Hairball Bowling anyone?

Here is a link that might be useful: UpChucky Bowling Game

o

I managed to cough up a 114.

The geniuses at a local radio station and Six Flags over Georgia decided it would be good idea to have a promotion one day last week where everyone would get in for free between 6am-9am. This happened to be Spring Break for most schools around here. Reportedly there were THOUSANDS of parents too cheap to pay for the price of admission who started getting there as early as 2:00am. Soon, traffic was completely grid-locked for all the surrounding interstates and surface streets. Some "Parents" were dropping off their kids on the interstate before dawn hours (ie. in near complete darkness) and let them walk the rest of the way. Nice, no?!

If this hadn't happen right here, I would've thought it was all made up. Reminds me of the WKRP in Cincinnati episode where they do a promotion for the station for Thanksgiving!!! Seemed like a GREAT idea at the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thanksgiving Turkey Drop

o

Silly, but addictive game.

My high score = 1218.2

o

On Sun, Jan 14, 07 at 9:00, I wrote:

"OK so not counting sports I watch hardly any TV but this is one show that I really look forward to watching. Saw it for the first time last season and I thought it was OUTSTANDING. Anybody else enjoys the show?"

ALRIGHT! Forget what I said 5 months ago. I don't know which one was a fluke... this SUCKY season or last GREAT season! I do know one thing.... I won't be wasting my time with that CRAP again.

Here is a link that might be useful: 24 (Season 6) in a nutshell

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here