Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickadeedeedee

Bernice and Chuck. A ~*LOVE*~ Story

chickadeedeedee
17 years ago

It was very quiet in the crab-o-torium last night. Too quiet. This morning we awoke to see Otto munching on some grapes and shrimp. What was that by the fresh water pool? The hermit crabs often rearrange the shells and stones they have but what the heck?!?!?

Oooooo. Now I know what that is! That isn't stones in a pile ... that is Bernice ON TOP of another HC, Chuck!

YOU GO GIRL! :-)

All the books we have read say that hermit crabs are difficult to breed in captivity and there was little information. Apparently Bernice and Chuck had not read our books and are doing what Nature intended them to do. They have been in the same position for over two hours now. Maybe longer since we only first discovered their activity then.

I need to find more HC information. We had not expected to have Grand-crabs! OMG! We need to get the nursery ready. Little crabby mobiles over the crabby cribs. Crabby booties. Baby crab shells. So much to do and I'm sure Bernice will give us The Claw when she sees the decor of the crabby nursery. LOL! I can just picture all the younsters inheriting their Mom's attitude!

Walk into the crabby day care facility and get greeted by mini The Claw raised on high! LOL!!! (Lordy, I need a life!)

But ... Don't count your baby crabs before they're hatched. Heck ... they aren't even "done" with the romance yet!

Keep you posted on the crabby drama at Camp Nappy.

Comments (13)

• youreit
    17 years ago

Over TWO hours!? WTG, Chuck! He don't need no stinking Viacrab! :D

The decor sounds like it'll be fab in the hermitage! Where is Bernice registered for the crab shower, Chicka? Hope she doesn't have to deliver via Crab-section.

I think I'll have a sign made up - Camp Crabby...easily confused with Camp Crappy, which was closed down due to health concerns.

Brenda

• hnladue
    17 years ago

Just WHAT have you been watching on TV that got them started??? HHmmmmmm????

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL! Viacrab!!!

To be 113% honest, we don't know who is a male or a female as all those parts are inside their shells. But it *SURE* looks like they know!

I went shopping and when I came back, Bernice was sitting on top of a stone, smoking a cigarette. I don't know where Chuck went. Hope she didn't eat him like the spiders do.

TV? Hmmmmm. :-)

Pleading the 5th C3D

• horton
    17 years ago

Ah Chicka-ricka-dilly-dee, glad to see you are okay.
    I thought maybe your absence was due to something serious but I see now it was just the crabs!
    Good to see you back!
    "Horton"

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL Horton!

Yes. Camp Nappy has crabs. We like them so much we named them! :-)

Hmmmm. At least Chuck thinks that Bernice is Miss Curvaceous Crustacean! Maybe she won't go to the Crabby Beauty Pageant on July 14th? Maybe she won't have her lovely figure back by them?

C with 3 Ds and 8 HCs

• sheepco
    17 years ago

Can we start a 'Crab Pool' for the happy couple?

(Gonna have to do some research here - no idea about gestation length or # of crabs delivered :)

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

girl, you crazy! but in a good way :)
    did you have cameras in focus?

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Photographs of the act?!?!?

No. We left them to their privacy. Both disappeared in the vast wilderness of the 55 gal. terrarium. They often bury themselves in the soil or shredded bark or sand.

Were eggs laid somewhere? Idunno!

We keep a crabby eye out for crab-lings. :-)

• comettose
    17 years ago

Mrs. HC will need an ocean to deliver those eggs!

Here is a link that might be useful: Crabby Stuff

• sheepco
    17 years ago

How interesting, thanks CT.

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks CT! :-)

We started setting up a salt water / beach / lagoon tank. *IF* we get a younster out of this we'll name it after you! LOL! Aren't you thrilled?!?!?!?

Otto, our largest, most friendly (and personally I think THE most handsome of the crabs) has found inspiration from Bernice and Chuck this morning. His bride? Clawdette! :-)

No pictures of them either.

C3D

• youreit
    17 years ago

LMAO @ Clawdette! That would be great if you could get a saltwater nursery set up, Chicka! I'd buy tickets...on my way to the looney bin. :D

Brenda

• comettose
    17 years ago

Thank you for that most esteemed and crabby honor!

The salt water tank needs to be aged and not have intake filtration. Sounds tricky. Good luck!