Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for those with Digital SLR cameras

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 21, 09 at 14:29

Hi all,
Well, I still haven't learned much about using my Canon Rebel XTi, but I'm still taking pictures. I know several of you have this type of camera.
I hadn't used my telephoto lens much. I got it out the other day to use, and it seems like I can't see a clear image when taking a pic. Although it ends up looking pretty clear when I upload the image. Why can't I ever see clearly when looking through the camera when taking the pic?
I have it set on manual, but I just can't adjust it enough to make the image clear. The lens is clean.
And no, its not my eyesight. haha My daughter asked me that this morning.
Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for those with Digital SLR cameras

Do you mean you have it set to manual focus? Have you tried using autofocus? If you use autofocus, you will have to hold the shutter button half-way down until you hear a little beep which means the camera has successfully focused. You should then see a clear image in the view finder.

o

I suspect it is the view screen. It seems I just have to trust the camera to auto-focus correctly. Sandy

o

I prefer to use manual, since when I use the auto, it doesn't always seem to understand which object I'm wanting in focus.
I'll try the auto though, and see if its more focused then.
Thanks!

o

Do you normally wear glass? If so, could it be that the dioptric on the camera is set incorrectly? If you look through the viewfinder, on the right, there's a little + and - sign with a small rotating button, try turning that while looking through the viewfinder and see if it gets less blurry one way or the other.

For me, it needs to be turned all the way to the " - " side. I'm even thinking I might need to replace the dioptric because I'm so blind :P You can order them at the Canon site under Accessories, though probably somewhere online has them cheaper :)

I hope this info helps :)

-A

P.S. Now, if I could just figure out how to set the 9 dot thing properly when working with depth of field, I might get some photos that don't need to be "Sharpened" in PhotoShop!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dioptric

o

Catherine, when you get something new, sometimes it has a protective plastic layer on it that needs to be peeled off - check for that, just to be sure.
I do the same as Jeanne, push the shutter button halfway down. I first aim the camera so that the little square in the center is on the object I want sharply in focus, then push the shutter in halfway to get the lens focused, then I compose my pic, then I quickly push the shutter in all the way. Voila. Sharp image out of the center of the photo.

:) Mary

o

My mom was a camera freak long before digital. She put out big money for some really good cameras. The Rollaflex had a big viewfinder that never seemed to show a clear image when I tried to get details in long distance but in the darkroom the image was wonderfully clear. Since I knew the camera was reliable and I was using the correct lens, I could live with the less sharp image in the viewfinder. Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here