Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
comettose

Updates: Pet Treats Recalled

comettose
17 years ago

Today pet treats made by DelMonte recalled - see link for details. The other post was getting long so I thought I'd start an 'updates' thread.

From the link: "Del Monte Pet Products is voluntarily recalling select product codes of its pet treat products sold under the Jerky Treats, Gravy Train® Beef Sticks and Pounce Meaty Morsels® brands, as well as select dog snack and wet dog food products sold under private label brands, including Ol' Roy, Dollar General and Happy Tails. A complete list of affected brands and products is located on Del Monte's Web site.

The company took this voluntary recall action immediately after learning from the FDA that wheat gluten supplied to Del Monte Pet Products from a specific manufacturing facility in China contained melamine. Melamine is a substance not approved for use in food. The FDA made this finding as part of its ongoing investigation into the recent pet food recall."

I am still recommending Dick Van Patten's dog and cat food, including dog treats. Their foods have no corn, wheast or soy. Don't buy anything, list or not, with wheat gluten in it. It is appalling the amount of time that passes before other products come forward.

Comments (23)

• comettose
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's a thought. Does fish food have wheat gluten in it? How about gerbil food?

• comettose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Expanded again: Sunshine Food Dog biscuits and Menu Foods expanding their original recall again.

Specific details on what dog biscuits Sunshine Food makes or menu's list - not apparently available yet. Sunshine Food did not return CNN calls and promised an update today.

For your situational awareness.

• comettose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A better link. The sunshine link within the link as a detailed list of dog treats, both their own label and private label.

• comettose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Intersting point of view and one I suspect has quite a bit of truth to it.

• chickadeedeedee
    16 years ago

Hmmmmmmmmmm. A lot of the same brands now recalled have shown up before with a different issue. The presence of Pentobarbital in their dog foods.

• comettose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Homemade Treat Recipes (both use corn or wheat) so don't feed if your pet is allergic to either one. I don't know if you could substitute with rice flour or not.

Liver Treats:

1 lb. of liver (chicken, beef, or calf) whirred in the food processor
    1 cup each corn meal flower, whole wheat flour, white flour
    Add a little water if the mixture is too stiff to spread.
    Mix all together and spread very thin (1/4") in a large 13 x 16 (or x 18) big cookie pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15- 20 minutes or until stiff. Cool slightly. Cut with a pizza cutter into 1/2" squares and freeze.

Easy Dog Biscuits

3 small jars (2-1/2 ounce) second stage baby food meat (no onion in the ingredients)
    9 tablespoons of powdered milk
    13 tablespoons wheat germ
    Form into small balls. Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 minutes. Store in the refrigerator and use in a few days or freeze in airtight bag

• comettose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

One of the brands I've recommended is recalling two of their dry foods (neither contains any wheat or wheat gluten) but the DVP Venison and Brown Rice dry dog food and the Venison and Green Pea dry cat food have been voluntarily recalled by the company. At this time they don't know why but are working with the FDA. I will continue to use their other products and I was not using those two listed. Could it be the rice? Could it be ANY grain grown in Asia where Melamine is used as fertilizer. I've been making most of my 'wet style' dog food myself with human ingredients only. I'll update this link if I find out more.

Anyway this is what is posted on the DVP website as of 4/16/2007:

NOTICE:
    We are receiving consumer complaints regarding the Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Foods. We do not know what is wrong with the food at this time, but we have heard that animals are vomiting and experiencing kidney problems. Although the problems seem to be focused on one particular lot, as a precautionary measure, we are pulling all dates of Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Food from the shelves.

Please discontinue feeding all Venison and Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison and Green Pea Dry Cat Food.

We are working closely with the FDA.
    We will update this website today, as more information comes available.

NO OTHER NATURAL BALANCE PRODUCTS ARE AFFECTED

• comettose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A link to the FDA site so you can keep yourself up to date if interested. Note - to the right had side of the link there is an Excel spreadsheet that has a detailed listing by UPC etc. There are over 4,000 items on that list for both cats and dogs. It is a consolidated list.

Also on the link, down the center is a synopsis of past event to the present...

• youreit
    16 years ago

And here I thought I was being a safe-minded mommy by looking at the labels and rejecting anything with wheat gluten in it (even if not on the recall list). Now this. It's taking ridiculously long for them to get to the bottom of this. Meanwhile, pets are STILL getting sick.

Brenda

• comettose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

DVP foods have no wheat gluten and the only common ingredient between the two dry foods is the venison, which they buy in New Zealand. I'm hoping it maybe is a mistake, but I don't buy either types. I am going to stick with the DVP anyway - because the way I look at it nothing is safe so I'll take my chances with the one I think is the most safe. My pets have not been sick and I've been feeding the DVP for several weeks.

• comettose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

DVP Update of Today from their website - product found to contain melamine was rice protein concentrate which is only found in foods that also contain venison.

Consumer Inquiries:
    (800) 829-4493
    Media Inquiries:
    Daniel Bernstein
    310-275-0777

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Pacoima, CA -- April 17, 2007-- Natural Balance, Pacoima, CA, is issuing a voluntary nationwide recall for all of its Venison dog products and the dry Venison cat food only, regardless of date codes. The recalled products include Venison and Brown Rice canned and bagged dog foods, Venison and Brown Rice dog treats, and Venison and Green Pea dry cat food. Recent laboratory results show that the products contain melamine. We believe the source of the melamine is a rice protein concentrate. Natural Balance has confirmed this morning that some production batches of these products may contain melamine.

The recall was prompted by consumer complaints received by Natural Balance involving a small number of cats and dogs that developed kidney failure after eating the affected product.

Dogs or cats who have consumed the suspect food and show signs of kidney failure (such as loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting) should be seen by a veterinarian. We recommend our customers immediately stop feeding our recalled venison products regardless of date code and return unused product to their retailer for a full refund.

The products are packaged in bags, cans and zip lock treat bags and sold in pet specialty stores and PetCo nationally.
    No other Natural Balance products are involved in this voluntary recall as none of our other formulas include the rice protein concentrate.

Although the problems seem to be focused on a particular production period of the venison products, over the last four days we have notified our distributors and retailers by phone and e-mail to immediately stop selling and return all recalled Venison dog foods and treats and the Venison dry cat food. Venison canned cat food is not involved.

The source of the melamine appears to be a rice protein concentrate, which was recently added to the dry venison formulas. Natural Balance does not use wheat gluten, which was associated with the previous melamine contamination.

None of Natural Balances other dry formulas, none of our other canned or roll products and none of our other treats are involved with this voluntary recall.

We continue to work closely with the FDA in their ongoing investigation.

Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-800-829-4493 or email info@naturalblanceinc.com.

• mamabirrd
    16 years ago

Hi Comet!

One of my bags of fish food has wheat gluten in it. I was just about to open it and feed it to them. I read the label first, so I did not end up feeding it to them. It's not my normal brand of Koi/Goldfish food, but I am on bedrest and had to rely on a relative to pick some up for me. They bought me two kinds....the other one did not have wheat gluten listed in the ingredients.
    The one in question is the Tetra Pond Spring & Fall Diet. I've seen this stuff before....I believe it's a very common brand sold at most chain pet stores.

Thanks for all the info. you've been posting. I'm only allowed up for a few minutes at a time, so I check in on occasion and keep up with all the info. you have provided. : )

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• comettose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Dawn - I hope you are feeling better. I am with you, I woul not buy any product with wheat gluten in it. Melamine is not supposed to be in any foods, pet or human, but it would not surprise me to see it show up elsewhere. Glad you read the label. The other culprit, concentrated rice protein, also from an Asian source, it another identified product.

I feel bad I've recommended DVP only to have them have incur recent problems with the concentrated rice protein, but at least they were on to it immediately, performed rapid testing and have post updates each time they know something more more. There first call was 12 April and they already have sourced it and have recalled all, instead of waiting for specific bar coding.

Here is there FAC that showed up today. I am continuing to use their foods and I had one can of the dog Venison and Brown Rice. It was half eaten by Riddler (one can last me several days as I use it for pilling only). I make his 'wet' food from human food otherwise and I still use the DVP dry 'regular' formula daily. He did not get sick from the 1/2 can. Might be because it was a small amount and he is a 135 pound dog. I'm glad my cats did not get fed anything bad, as cats are more susceptible to this type of thing.

Anyway - I'm glad you have read the posts and have decided against the wheat gluten in pet foods, including the fish! I am partial to my fish too!

FROM THE DVP WEBSITE (18 April 2007):

Natural Balance Pet Foods,® Inc. Voluntary Nationwide Recall on Specific Venison Dog & Cat Food Products

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Ive heard the brown rice is the problem, is this true?

NO. The rice and brown rice are not a problem. The problem is rice protein concentrate that is only used in the four products involved in the recall.

Ive heard the venison is a problem, is this true?

NO. The rice protein concentrate is the problem, and is only used in the the Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, Venison & Brown Rice Canned Dog Food, the Venison & Brown Rice Formula Dog Treats and the Venison & Green Pea Cat Food. These are the only products involved in the recall.

What products are affected?

Venison and Brown Rice Dry Dog Formula
    Venison and Brown Rice Canned Dog Food
    Venison & Brown Rice Formula Dog Treats
    Venison and Green Pea Dry Cat Formula

What products are NOT AFFECTED?

None of our other products are affected:

Ultra Premium Formula Dry Dog Food
    Reduced Calorie Formula Dry Dog Food
    Ultra Premium Formula Dry Cat Food
    Reduced Calorie Formula Dry Cat Food
    Sweet Potato & Fish Dry Dog Food
    Potato & Duck Formula Dry Dog Food
    Organic Formula Dry Dog Food
    Vegetarian Formula Dry Dog Food
    Turkey Formula Dog Food Rolls
    Beef Formula Dog Food Rolls
    Lamb Formula Dog Food Rolls
    Beef Formula canned dog food
    Chicken Formula canned dog food
    Lamb Formula canned dog food
    Liver Formula canned dog food
    Duck and Potato Formula canned dog food
    Sweet Potato & Fish canned dog food
    Eatables Irish Stew canned dog food
    Eatables Hobo Chili canned dog food
    Eatables Southern Style Dumplins with Gravy
    Chinese Take-Out W/Sauce
    Ultra Formula canned cat food
    Turkey & Giblets Formula canned cat food
    Ocean Fish Formula canned cat food
    Venison & Green Pea canned cat food
    Chicken &Liver Pate Formula canned cat food
    Tuna w/ Shrimp Formula canned cat food
    Salmon Formula canned cat food
    Indoor Cat Formula canned cat food
    Roll-A-Rounds Dog Treats
    Sweet Potato & Fish Formula Treats
    Potato & Duck Formula Treats
    Crunch-E-Bones Treats
    Lamb Formula Frozen Loaf
    Beef Formula Frozen Loaf
    Chicken Formula Frozen Loaf
    Raw Chicken Formula
    Raw Beef Formula

What products have rice protein concentrate?

Venison and Brown Rice Dry Dog Formula
    Venison and Brown Rice Canned Dog Food
    Venison & Brown Rice Formula Dog Treats
    Venison and Green Pea Dry Cat Formula

How did this happen?

From time to time we evaluate our formulas and look for ways to improve them. We recently looked at the Venison dry formulas and thought that adding another protein source would improve the formula. Unfortunately, the rice protein concentrate was contaminated with melamine.

How can we trust your other foods?

We do NOT use rice protein concentrate in any other products in our product line.
    We do NOT use wheat gluten in any of our dog or cat foods, except for Crunch-E-Bones, which is being discontinued.

Why dont you make your own food?

There is virtually no company, large or small in the U.S. that makes 100% of its own food because
    There are many expert companies that specialize in contract manufacturing, and we work with two of the best.
    These co-packers make the food under contract to the companys specifications of proprietary formulas.
    We have been working with the same manufacturers for over 10 years.

Why arent you using lot codes for the recall?

Ignoring lot numbers and date codes is the fastest way for us to get potentially affected product off the shelves.
    Waiting for lot numbers and date codes would have been more precise but would have delayed the process.
    The Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, Venison & Brown Rice Canned Dog Food, the Venison & Brown Rice Formula Dog Treats and the Venison & Green Pea Cat Food contain the rice protein concentrate that is linked to the problem.

How were you able to act so quickly?

We acted so quickly because our Registered Veterinary Technician/ Customer Service Representative received six calls on April 12th (Thursday) and April 13th (Friday) all from dog families who had started using a "new" bag of our Venison & Brown Rice Formula Dry Dog Food.

Because we never see a cluster of six phone calls about one of our products we decided Friday afternoon that there must be a problem with the newest batch of the dog formula even though we did not know what the problem was.

We decided at that time to initiate testing to try to determine the problem, but at the same time, we decided to stop the further distribution of the Venison Dog and Venison Cat dry formulas even though we had not received any calls from cat households on Thursday or Friday.

Calls were made to Pet Co and our distributors to stop distribution of the food and to start contacting our retailers to pull the affected foods off the shelves, while we monitored calls over the weekend.

What is melamine?

Melamine is a strong organic base with the chemical formula C3H6N6. Melamine is used in the production of plastic ware and as a long acting nitrogen source for fertilizer. Melamine is not used in the production of human or pet food. Melamine is considered a contaminant in any food production

How did melamine get into your food?

We dont know. It appears that the rice protein concentrate used was contaminated by an unknown source. This is an ongoing FDA investigation.

When will you have new Venison products available?

Venison & Brown Rice Canned Dog Food:
    We expect to be able to have test results clearing our Venison Canned Dog food within a few days. The product will be available after these results are confirmed.

Venison & Brown Rice Formula Dog Treats:
    We expect to be able to have test results clearing our Venison & Brown Rice Formula Dog Treats within a few days. The product will be available after these results are confirmed.

Venison & Brown Rice Formula Dry Dog Food:
    Two to three weeks.

Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Food:
    Four to six weeks.

Are Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran and Brown Rice affected by the contaminated rice protein concentrate?

NO.
    Rice, rice flour, rice bran and brown rice have no relationship to the rice protein concentrate.
    The concentrate is a specially prepared product and is not associated with the rice, rice flour, rice bran and brown rice.

• comettose
    Original Author
    16 years ago
  • youreit
    16 years ago

From another story about (un)safe pet food. Interview with the manager of Western Feed and Pet Supply Store in Orangevale -

"She's telling customers about a California firm called Nutura that makes pet chow that's sold in independent supply stores. Nutura sells dry and wet pet food under the California Natural Brand. Macial says the company uses ingredients grown organically.

"'Cooking chicken and other kinds of meat will keep your pet going, but they don't contain all the nutrients and vitamins that cats and dogs need,' said Maciel. She said another organic meat and vegetable product that's safe for animals is Primal."

Also....Ceres hog farm quarantined

I'm about ready to make up a sign - No More Commie Grains - and march to the Capitol. Who's with me? :) and :(

Brenda

• comettose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm with you! Royal Canin is refusing to buy ANY vegetable proteins from China and I hope they ALL follow suit. Take away the dollars and see them clean up their act. I noticed that almost every type of Tetra fishfood I looked at had wheat gluten in it. I saw none with the concentrated rice protein.

I make Riddler's 'canned' food but still feed him a small portion of commercial dry food for the vitamins and minerals. You can also give a dog multi-vitamin and mineral too, once per day.

Here is my recipe which makes enough to half fill about a dozen quart size ziplock freezer bags.

5 pounds organic chicken thighs with skin and most visable fat removed.
    1 small bag organic baby carrots.
    1 large sweet potato (peeled and chopped).
    4 large stalks of organic celery (sliced).
    1 cup or so of organic pearled barley.
    1 small organic zuchinni squash (sliced with skin on)
    1 can of diced organic tomatos
    2 cans low sodium V-8 juice
    1 teaspoon organic basil
    1 teaspoon rosemary

I arrange all of it in a very large roasting pan and add enough water to barely cover everything (the barley will soak up most of the moisture) and cook at 350 degrees for 2 or 2.5 hours (or until the chicken is falling off the bone). I've heard some folks put in a slow cooker and let it cook so long you can pulverize the bone (which has calcium in it), but I don't do that.

Once cooked I let it cool and remove the chicken bones and mix it all up well. I then spoon it into the bags, roll them up to get the air out as much as possible (my son thought they were large burritos) and freeze. I thaw them in the fridge for at least one day. I get three meals out of one bag. A meal consists of 1/2 cup DVP dry food (with 1/3 bag of my mix - 2 or 3 times per day). I like to feed Riddler small meals, rather than one big one. He also eats from a raised dish. If you ever actually followed how much food they advise on dog food cans or bags you pet would be a blimp!

You can trade off what vegetables you want to use but I keep my mix consistent as to not cause digestive upset. You need to start with small amounts until your dog is used to eating this larger quantity of vegetables.

I think making my food is cheaper than buying premium canned foods. I get 36 meals: 12 ziplock bags x 3 meals per bag (with one half cup dry dog food added per meal).

You do not have to do the organic obviously, which does cost more, but not that much more, and I eat alot of organic foods myself, so that is what I have around.

The food is healthy and cheaper than buying canned dog food IMO. And - he loves it more than commercial canned food. I gave him a choice once - a scoop of canned food and a scoop of mine and he ate mine first.

(Note: Riddler was 130 lbs. last time at the vet and he is thinner now because I have him on a diet). If you have a small dog the homemade food will last much longer or you can make a 1/2 batch.

Riddler also eats a small quantity of fresh fruit on occasion (apple, orange, banana), when I eat it (he gets a piece). I also feed him small amounts of other fresh, slightly steamed vegetables, like snow peas, spinach, squash, brussels sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, for healthy in-between meal snacks.

For treats I give him a very low sodium oyster cracker or a salt-free saltine (instead of a dog biscuit) which I don't trust anymore.

Even after this food thing is over I am going to continue with what I am doing now. Riddler has never looked so good with shiny fur, or been this spunky in a while. He has a much smaller stool amount and it is dark and consistent, so I must be doing something right. You can't go wrong with real food.

You will get a kick out of this: My sister emailed Hill's that makes Science Diet to ask about homemade food and they said they didn't recommend it because we cannot buy consistent food from the market, always different suppliers or quality. What a load of crap that answer was IMO. It must have been answer number 32 from the crapola roladex. Like commercial dogfood is consistent (yeah - consistently cheap food that they will trade off a supplier to save a penny per pound).

• youreit
    16 years ago

That sounds like a nice Sunday dinner, CT! Really, mmmm! LOL I've clipped it for near-future use. I wonder if my kitty would like it, too?

I found out the Natura products (not Nutura, as misspelled above) are really good and easily obtainable, even for someone like me who lives out in the boonies. I'm going to look into it, even though Pookie's Purina One doesn't have wheat gluten in it...I think. *gulp*

Brenda

• comettose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brenda, I used to use Purina One Uninary Formula for one of my cats, Purina One Chicken and Rice or Lamb and Rice for Riddler, and Purina One regular for my other cats, but they have corn and wheat gluten in them. I'm not sure every flavor but I think they do. Here is a link to the Chicken and Rice flavor. The different flavor normally only changes the first ingredient or so, and the rest of the mix is the same no matter what flavor it is.

Purina lists all the ingredients of their foods, except some treats.

To answer your question about making cat food. One could but cats are more picky about what they eat and have more sensitive systems. I only feed my cats two products right now: DVP dry in the pink bag and DVP Tuna and Shrimp in the can. Cats don't like variety. It upsets their stomach and they will turn up their nose most times if you put out something different. At least my six cats are that way. They will eat meat baby food (turkey or chicken). A couple of them will pick at canned tuna or salmon, but for the most part they want what they want! I guess if they got hungry enough they would eat what you put in front of them.

Oh - before I forget - I was buying bird food today and got to talking with this guy who was also picking out bird food and we started talking about orioles. (He was buying finch food and was cute....LOL) But I digress, OK, he said someone told him to plant Red Hot Poker (Kniphofia) to attract orioles and I said 'did it work' and he said the first time they all bloomed he had tons of orioles right away!! So, guess what I'm going to add to my garden this year??? I have this perfect hot and sunny area. My plant bible says to have, deep, fertile but well drained soil, preferably sandy soil (ooops - I have all clay) in full sun or partial shade. Mulch young plants with straw or leaves their first winter (you don't have a winter much, or should I say in normal years). I like Prince Igor, Bee's Sunset and Royal Standard! Prince Igor is all orange and orioles like orange and nectar.

• comettose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Forgot to tell you - thanks for the Natura link. I'm checking them all out now. I've heard of many of the brands and can get many of them here.

• youreit
    16 years ago

I'm finally back home and checked out the bag o' cat food! It looks like the Purina One Senior formula has corn gluten meal in it, but not the wheat gluten. And she's still acting like a kitten at 13 years young (no unusual lethargy), so I think we're safe, for now.

Pookie is very picky about food, so I've just been feeding her the usual canned stuff that she likes, checking for the dreaded wheat gluten before buying. I don't give her treats...because she's already a BIG kitty! LOL

Hey, Kniphofia grows wild here in CA over closer to the coast! I could probably get away with growing it here if I give it partial shade and a LOT of water in summer. Thanks for the info, CT (and hunky finch food guy! LOL)! Did you get his number? :D

Brenda

• comettose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Diamond Pet Food Withdraws Products in Response to American Nutrition Inc. Pet Food Recall
    Diamond Pet Food Media Hotline
    (888) 207-6208

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Meta, MO -- April 26, 2007 -- Because of the canned pet food recall initiated today by American Nutrition Inc., Diamond Pet Foods has announced it is withdrawing a limited number of canned products manufactured by American Nutrition. This action is limited to three specific canned products: Diamond Lamb & Rice Formula for Dogs 13 oz. cans, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Kitten Formula 5.5 oz. cans, and Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Puppy Formula 13 oz. cans.

Chenango Valley Pet Foods Issues Voluntarily Nationwide Recall of Certain Pet Foods
    Dennis J. Bobita
    (610) 821-0608

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- April 26, 2007 -- Chenango Valley Pet Foods is working with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and voluntarily recalling pet foods manufactured with a certain shipment of rice protein concentrate. The company was informed by Wilbur-Ellis that the rice protein concentrate shipped to Chenango Valley Pet Foods may be contaminated with melamine, and instructed Chenango Valley Pet Foods to recall any pet foods manufactured with the rice protein concentrate. Melamine is an industrial chemical used to make plastics and fertilizers that may lead to illness or fatalities in animals if consumed.

The pet foods were sold to customers in Wisconsin, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania, who further sold the products to their customers through catalog mail-orders or retail outlets.

Only the following dry pet foods are involved in the recall:

DOCTORS FOSTER & SMITH CHICKEN & BROWN RICE FORMULA ADULT LITE DOG FOOD, NET WT. 5 LBS., 12.5 LBS, and 25 LBS; Code dates: Best Used By Jan 24, 09; Best Used By Feb 8, 09; Best Used By Feb 26, 09; Best Used By April 10, 09; Best Used By April 17, 09;

DOCTORS FOSTER & SMITH CHICKEN & BROWN RICE FORMULA ADULT LITE CAT FOOD, NET WT. 3 LBS. and 7 LBS.; Code date: Best Used By March 13, 09;

LICK YOUR CHOPS LAMB MEAL, RICE & EGG CAT FOOD, 4 LBS. packages,
    Code date: Best Used By April 29, 08;

Bulk CHICKEN & BROWN RICE FORMULA ADULT LITE DOG FOOD sold to one consignee (SmartPak) in a 2000 lbs. tote, Ship date: Feb 9, 2007.

Joint News Release: FDA and USDA Determine Swine Fed Adulterated Product
    USDA to Compensate for Depopulation
    The USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) today notified State authorities that swine fed adulterated product will not be approved to enter the food supply. Based on information currently available, FDA and USDA believe the likelihood of illness after eating pork from swine fed the adulterated product would be very low; however, the agencies believe it is prudent to take this measure.

FDA determined that a shipment of rice protein imported from China was contaminated with melamine and melamine-related compounds. The product was imported during the week of April 2, 2007 by Wilbur-Ellis, an importer and distributor of agricultural products. The rice protein was used in the production of pet food and a byproduct was used to produce animal feed.

The contaminants in question include melamine and melamine-related compounds, including cyanuric acid, the combination of which is a potential source of concern in relation to human and animal health. Scientific research indicates that melamine alone, at detected levels, is not a human health concern. However, no scientific data exist to ascertain the effects of combining melamine and melamine-related compounds. Therefore, a determination has not yet been made regarding the safety of the product.

Because the animal feed in question was adulterated, USDA cannot rule out the possibility that food produced from animals fed this product could also be adulterated. Therefore, USDA cannot place the mark of inspection on food produced from these animals.

USDA is offering to compensate producers who euthanize swine that were fed the adulterated product. USDA is authorized to use Section 32 funds to restore farmers purchasing power. USDA is also offering the expertise and assistance of Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) personnel in carrying out depopulation activities, to ensure animals are euthanized and disposed of in accordance with Federal and State laws.

FDA and FSIS are coordinating with State authorities in eight states where the adulterated feed is known to have been purchased. Eight pork producers in the states of California, Kansas, North Carolina, New York, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Utah are known to have purchased the feed. These combined operations involve approximately 6,000 hogs. All of the animals are currently being held under state quarantines in CA, NC, NY and SC. In KS, OK and UT producers agreed to hold the animals until further notice. Authorities are also in contact with a feed mill in Missouri that might have received adulterated feed.

Pork and pork products derived from animals that were fed the adulterated product will also be destroyed. In CA and UT, pork from federally inspected plants is being held under FSIS direction. In SC, a state inspected plant is voluntarily holding swine that were fed the adulterated product. FSIS, FDA and state authorities are in the process of determining whether any meat from animals that were fed the adulterated product has entered commerce. If that has occurred, FSIS will work with states and industry to take the appropriate action.

FDA and FSIS are continuing the effort to trace the adulterated feed. If additional producers are identified who fed the adulterated product to animals, they will also be offered compensation by USDA for depopulation and disposal.

• comettose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

About 10 more updates to the FDA site. Cross contamination is proven so Menu Foods has added to the recall and American Nutrition used the tainted concentrated rice protein in foods they manufacture under contract to other companies, without telling the companies they did it. So now some labels, that don't show the tainted ingredients are in the foods, are actually in some of the foods. Niiice huh? Expect more, the lack of integrity of American Nutrition has been proven.

Chickens also fed tainted feed, many already processed, the rest slated for ethanaia, like the pigs were. I like it the FDA - since the tainted chickens have already entered the human food chain and can't be recalled - so they say 'it is safe to eat due to dilution', yet they are not releasing any of the other tainted chickens that didn't get away from them. What a bungling debacle.

Man - the rats are coming out of the cellar!

• bikkisingh143
    9 years ago

I heard that some of the healthy dog treats that we buy for our house dogs are not that good, we can't tell what is good for our dogs and whats not. Even our dogs also can't speak up to tell us about the food we give them. I usually buy dog foods from bowwow beauty shop. For more details I have provided the link below.