Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dena_eft

Filter Material, What do YOU think?

dena_eft
10 years ago

What do you think about using those plastic netted bags that onions and oranges, etc come in to put in my filter for my pond? Do you think it would harm the fish? Thanks, :) Arum

Comments (7)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    10 years ago

The only problem is that you would need a LOT of them.
    A better place to post this would be on discusions.

• dena_eft
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, you are right, and I do have a lot. I was concerned about them leaking something bad to harm the fish. I was getting ready to run out the door, and of course posted on the wrong part of the forum. Thanks for answering my post even though I did that. :) Arum

• sleeplessinftwayne
    10 years ago

I use deer netting over the pond in the winter to keep the leaves out. Since it is cheap I don't bother to reuse it for that purpose. I scrunch it up and use it in the Skippy. A lot cheaper than scrubbies.

• dena_eft
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don't need to worry too much about the fish now,as the Blue Heron cleaned me out about. Anyway sounds like your are using your head by improvising. :) arum

• sleeplessinftwayne
    10 years ago

I don't just use the netting as the only filter material. That is the permanent lower material that provides a home for the microbes. The top layer is Quilt Batting which gets replaced in the spring and late fall. I wouldn't use just one of them.

Sorry about the heron. Haven't seen any since I got a pair of fake herons from Harbor Freight.

• kjk007
    10 years ago

I just bought some charcoal to add : due to some post on this site which made sence to me....so how do I add ?? in my bio water fall filter or skimmer any suggestions on how to do this.. ..I mean do you add into same bag as lava rock or should I put in another smaller bag on top or bottom ??

• sleeplessinftwayne
    10 years ago

Hey there, one more good post that should be on discussions, but I'll answer.

Do not put in with the lava rock. Activated carbon must be replaced eventually due to the way it affects toxins and stains. It works by attracting molecules of those substances and trapping them on the surface of the AC rather than adsorbing them in a chemical reaction. I buy the largest chunks I can find and when they seem to stop working I break them down a bit to expose more surface area. I don't know if that really extends the affective time but it feels that way to me and the water gets better after I do that.

Finding an appropriate bag or container can be frustrating. I often wind up making a hobo's pack out of two layers of cheese cloth. Alternatively I pour the AC into one of the perforated pond planters and then put another planter on top to keep the AC from washing away. The containers can be wired together. Then I put the whole thing on top of the Skippy filter where the water swirls and surround it with Quilt Batting so the water goes through the AC. To keep the critters from moving it, I put a potted plant in it. The whole idea is to circulate the water through the AC at a slow but continuous rate. If I use a really large container, I use a couple of rocks to hold it in place and the birds have a good birdbath. The critters prefer to drink from it as well.

The effectiveness of the AC can be shown when powdered AC is added to the water. The water seems to be polished. This is not recommended anywhere I have seen but I haven't seen anything against it either except that it does get caught in the Batting and will turn it grey to black depending on the amount of powder trapped. It uses up the AC quickly, so unless you need the purifying effect to work fast, rather than continuously, I wouldn't do it this way on purpose. It might have an affect on the fishies gills.

I sometimes use Zeolite the same way to reduce ammonia in the water.