Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheepco

April showers bring...

sheepco
17 years ago

My first chives are up in the herb bed, and the first daylilies on the warmer south side of the barn are poking up their heads! The maples have BIG buds. After almost 4" of rain (badly needed here) over the weekend the grass is JUST starting to green up (watch out - we'll be mowin' soon).

Today we got 8" of snow - heavy, wet and slippery - horrible driving. 1st time the weatherman has been right all winter :) ahh, it's never dull.

I got a bet with my Dad we'll be eating asparagus in 3 weeks :)

Happy spring!

Comments (20)

• sheepco
    Original Author
    17 years ago

...so much for getting into the pond and raisin' the plants this weekend, it's 27F (windchill 1F) and the pond is a pool of slush now...

Mother Nature's way of saying 'be patient' I guess :)

• jeanner
    17 years ago

We're right behind you - no snow forecasted but temps down to the 20's at night. Thats after a week of temps in the 70's. I'm guessing the peepers and tree frogs will be settling back in for awhile. And me too :^(

• scottspond
    17 years ago

HEHEHE!

We're only dropping down to the low 70's next week. Tomorrow's high, 87°F. (o:

Happy ponding,
    Scott

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

Alright... I'll hold him down, you yanks can have at him.

Frost expected here this weekend too!

• youreit
    17 years ago

80°F here yesterday, low of 51°F....but it felt so much hotter. Me no likey! However...a slushy pond just doesn't sound pleasant, either. Can I get 65°F with a bit more humidity? Anyone? :D

I miss rain already....

Brenda

• sheepco
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ah, Scott, I've missed your north vs. south comments :)
    I'll be taking in a bit o' Florida sunshine in May at a behavior conference (animals, not mine), I suspect it will be unbelievably hot and humid by late May! I'll most likely have to suffer a hurricane too.

Meanwhile it will be 70 and low humidity, no tornados in sight, and the MN flora will be just getting lush here...ain't life grand?

17F here tonight, 6F with windchill. Unbelievable roads - rutted slush frozen into sheets of windswept ice. Makes me want to stay home with a good book. Why can't I retire yet? Oh yeah, there would be the age thing, and the lack of cash :(

Hope to see the chives again by Monday :)

• sheepco
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Palm trees are highly over-rated, and we all know coons prefer avacados to koi! TeeHee!

(When my aunt lived in San Pedro, CA we used to check 1st thing every morning to get the avacados dropped to the ground these urban coons had missed - the tree was WAY too tall to pick from - great pickins since they didn't fall 'til they were ripe!)

I can taunt you now that spring is near, January is another thing altogether :) :) :) :)

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

behavior conference (animals, not mine) yeah, that's your story, sarah!

i looked for asparagus yesterday, but it wasn't light enough outside even at 6:30 am. thank you, daylight savings time.

we had flurries today, so i suspect all that wind we also had was blowing your snow to us all the way from minnesota (2 months to go and, ely, here i come!)

• jeanner
    17 years ago

This is what my buckeye looked like this morning :^(

{{gwi:167707}}

I'll bet no buckeyes this year.

But then I could live in the south, and not get to have buckeye trees :^)

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

(Doing my best PondmaninFL impression):

We don't need no Buckeyes down here. We have Gators. :^)

*Running for cover from Z-Chick's wrath*

• sheepco
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh jeanner, poor buckeye :(

FTM, that probably is our snow, we got a bunch of North Dakota dirt after the snow stopped and the wind kept howling. Snirt - sort of grey snow. Any asparagus yet or do you have to wait 'til the weekend to find it? The first asparagus is like a huge holiday in my family.

Who's PondmaninFL? Teeheehee!

• zinniachick
    17 years ago

Yeah, that's pretty much what they looked like on the basketball court, too.

Gloomy gloomy gloom.

• sheepco
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LMAO Zchick! Snirt!

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

here is where i was talking about the asp word! i decided it was just plain too cold to look right now. in years past i was picking by april 1. last year, i forgot and checked on the 15th. it was going to and gone! to seed already. every year it has gotten hit by frost after growing, also.

• sheepco
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sounds like most of the country is having the same cold spell. BRRR!

But Happy Egg and Bunny Day everybunny!

• jeanner
    17 years ago

Boy did I set you up for that one, Semper.

My redbuds got hit last night. The buds were just ready to open, but now they are all brown and wilted.

But just to show that spring really is here .... a goldfinch in his blazing mating colors. And gee, no damage to the multi-flora rose bushes (grrrr)

{{gwi:167708}}

• comettose
    17 years ago

Beautiful goldfinch Jean - I cannot get them to hold still long enough. My crabapple blossoms are showing some brown petals but those that were not open are fine. My birdbath out back was frozen this morning. I'll have to check my redbud to see if OK. My peaches were in full blooms, as are the forsythia, cherry, plums, dogwood starting to open, creeping phlox, glory of the snow (they might like it - lol). Also, I have many perennials up already. My rugosa rose looks good as does the honeysuckle (not Japanese) - it had one flower open. Stange weather indeed.

Your buckeye looks OK, or is that flower supposed to be big and open? The leaves look a bit chilled but not damaged.

Sure beats Florida though;-)

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

Father Marcel's opening joke in church yesterday:
    "The good Lord does hear our prayers, although He does it in his own good time. So, how many of you prayed for a white Christmas?"
    We actually had a snowday Thursday, the roads were so bad. We got about 8", and I lost my prize name brand birch cluster. *pout*. Maybe it will sprout a few new shoots from the roots. I hope.

The crocuses don't mind the snow though. They'll be ready to bloom when the white struff melts off of them!

:) Mary

• koijoyii
    17 years ago

{{gwi:167709}}

{{gwi:167710}}

{{gwi:167711}}

These were take the day after Easter. Some of the snow had already melted.

Jenny

• sheepco
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Jenny, I feel better already. We only got 2" last night, but most of it was gone tonight. 4o tomorrow, 50 Saturday, 60!! Monday! Bring it ON!!!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH