Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheepco

Chicka - question if ya got time..

sheepco
16 years ago

Hi,

A friend took in a litter of feral kittens, after 5 months of taming them, one is sickly, turns out FELV +, is eventually euthanized. Another is sickly too, though at this point the other 4 are negative for FELV. The others are being treated holistically (she wasn't specific) and her vet has Interferon on order. She has also found limited info on Immunoregulin? and LCTI? She asked if I'd had any experience with these. I haven't, and today I didn't have time to do any research.

How 'bout you? Any experience? If you prefer to answer by e-mail, please do so, I should get it.

Thanks for any insight you might have. Most of the FELV kitties we get here are too far gone for alot of chemo. Good nutrition, TLC, antibiotics and steriods when necessary..... ANYTHING that might help the next one we get is always a plus.

Thanks, Sarah

Comments (7)

• chickadeedeedee
    16 years ago

Hi Sarah.

Like lots of things in medicine how a patient responds to a particular drug is unique to them. Advil may work for you but Celebrex is my best friend!

I've used Immunoregulan since about 1992. Once the dilution of the drug is made it is cheaper than dirt to dispense and very easy to use. There's two ways to use it for the kitties, IV or by mouth. We were very disappointed with the results of the IV application.

We haven't kept statistics but approximately 75% of the cats who got the Interferon by mouth survived and did well for 2 to 5 years. One cat, a handsome grey fellow, lived for 14 years FeLV + !

There was a very detailed article in the early 1990 in JAVMA about the protocol for it. I can e mail you the details of which Immunoregulan we have used and how we did things. Pretty much we did what was in that journal except we'd tell the people using it that the recommendation is to stop the use after X number of weeks. The kitties that lived the longest never stopped using the Roferon but were down to using it once or twice weekly forever.

If you can't find that journal issue lemme know and I'll e mail you later. I don't have the exact dosing particulars in my brain cell.

C3D

• sheepco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you! I'll look it up! S

• chickadeedeedee
    16 years ago

Oops. I was thinkin' of Interferon (Roferon) rather than the Immunoregulan. Sorry.

I've used the Interferon for the FeLV + kitties with fairly good success. I've only used the Immunoregulan for Parvo puppies.

C3D ~~~~~~> Missin' some brain cells! LOL!

• sheepco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, this friend lives in Mechanicsville OH, I think I'll just send her to you.
    How's your luck with the Immunoregulan for parvo puppies?

• chickadeedeedee
    16 years ago

We've used it in the puppies who were the most critical with near zero WBCs. So far, only one has not responded, and she was a 2 month old Rott. :-(

We did use it once for a Doberman who was on chemotherapy and her WBC plummeted. Within a very short time the WBC was back up. :-)

I don't know if you do chemotherapies but you can probably contact the Veterinary Cancer Society 619.474.8929 and ask them for information about immuno-therapies.

C3D

• sheepco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again for the info. Currently our patients needing chemo get referred to U of MN. Unfortunately the distance makes that less than ideal for our clients when their pets need them to be close (I used to work in the ICU at U of MN CVM, nothing is like being close to home). Hoping we can change this in the future.

• chickadeedeedee
    16 years ago

We refer our patients to either one of two oncologists who are located about 45 minutes to an hour away from us (each in a different direction) or if they want to make the trip then to Columbus and The Ohio State University School of Veterinary Medicine.

They get their initial evaluation and either continue having their treatments with the oncologist or I do it if the people rather not travel so much. I review all the bloodwork and patient's condition with the oncologist as well as the protocol to follow prior to giving the medications. The oncologists in Ohio are *wonderful*! I don't do the radiation therapy or radioactive tx. for feline hyperthyroidism.

The Veterinary Cancer Society would have the information you want about all the Immunoregulan and other protocols or the folks at the Veterinary Internal Medicine Board. I've e mailed the Internal Medicine people quite a few times as well as my friends at the Vet. Cancer Society.

Then they'll come up with something new and better tomorrow!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting