Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandmapoo

I got it, I got the bench!!!

grandmapoo
16 years ago

I'm just awe struck! The bench is just gorgeous! It's already in place in the back of my garden. It looks fabulous! The timing is wonderful...a perfect mother's day gift!

Mark, your workmanship is just remarkable. It is even BETTER than the pic of the bench that I liked on Brenda's thread. What an extra (and mouth dropping surprise) to see my grandchildren's names etched in the seat. How did you do that? I literally cried...well...twice, even! Once when I realized what my son was talking about when he was saying a huge box had arrived, and second, when I saw the bench with the beautiful lettering. Oh my gosh, the planning and blending of their names is just amazingly creative!

Thank you so much for taking the time to make us such a beautiful gift. From the bottom of all of our hearts, thank you!

For all of you that wrote letters...Thank you so much. You are all such wonderful people. We appreciate all the heart felt thanks. The written words are so personal and mean so much. I'm so happy that my son is home now and he and his family are safe here with me, while making their new start in civilian life.

I promise I will post pics as soon as I can. One will have to have my three sweethearts sitting with their Poo, and one will have to show the beautiful details of Mark's work.

I hope you all are having a great spring! :)

Comments (31)

• jeanner
    16 years ago

Can't wait to see pictures! It sounds wonderful... but then we've learned to expect nothing less from our talented Semper.

• semper_fi
    16 years ago

"I promise I will post pics as soon as I can. One will have to have my three sweethearts sitting with their Poo, and one will have to show the show the details of Mark's YOUR TEAM work."

Fixed it for ya!

POO3, to say that this was a TRUE team effort would be the understatement of the millenium! It really was. From C3D and Sir Nappy coming up with the original idea for the project, to everyone writing their heartfelt letters, to our undercover agent who supplied the shipping address. Plus special thanks to poor Brandy who literally {{gwi:168494}} to make it all happen as time was running out. So they are the ones that deserve ALL the credit.

If anything, I feel like I cheated as I got the most enjoyment from this group project because it was a very different type of woodworking than what little I had done before.

:-)

• youreit
    16 years ago

Poo, you SO deserve it, lady! Wow, I didn't know about the names carved in! *sniffle* I cannot WAIT to see it!

I merely typed. With coffee as my ammo, I can get fairly frisky with a keyboard. :D This project was so undercover, I didn't even know who sent notes or who thought of it (thanks, Chicka and Sir Nap!)...but I know exactly who built, designed, boxed (wooo, nellie, that sounded intense!), and shipped the bench.

Fi guy is da man!

Brocky

• grandmapoo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lol @ Brocky :)

I'm going to pull my camera out today and take some pics.
    Don't know when I'll finish the roll of film and get them developed. (Poo still using 80's technology.) I'll get Walmart to put them on a disc, then I'm sure I'll have to get instructions to get them here for you.

Mark, please tell me what type of wood the bench is made of and did you cut (shape) it by yourself? Is the fluting on the legs your handiwork also? What type of finish is on it and how do I take care of it? Geez, everyone here has already told me it's too nice to be in the back of the garden!

Yesterday, a little birdie (that I shall not name) told me a little about the secretiveness of the project and the craziness during the final phase. I won't say who, except HER name starts with a B and ends with a RENDA. ;)

"...to our undercover agent who supplied the shipping address."
    Well, when the bench arrived, I immediately guessed who your undercover address supplying agent was. I have some wonderful cilanto growing in my garden due to our wonderful wand waving friend! :)

• maryo_nh
    16 years ago

* giggle *
    * I love intrigue *

Poo, you lucky girl! Don't forget that your son has to sit on that bench too. He deserves it plenty. Btw, that job, did he get that one? The one with the police?

And of course, Mark, you rock. And go right ahead and accept a well-deserved compliment when you get one!

:) Mary

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

rocks? did i hear someone say rocks? :)

so glad you love it poo! i can't wait to see it. you'll have to let me know who sent the cilantro so i can get some!

oh, raise your trowels high to the whirlwinds of life!

• semper_fi
    16 years ago

"please tell me what type of wood the bench is made of and did you cut (shape) it by yourself?"

The outdoor woods were selected to represent the locations around the world where our troops are/were currently/recently deployed. The seat itself is salvaged Cuban Mahogany representing our oldest overseas U.S. military installation (aka Guantanamo Bay). The legs are routered Honduran Mahogany where our troops are involved in support operations and enforcement against drug trafficing. The sorry excuse for the inlaid letters are African Ebony from Tanzania.

As you've already noticed, with the rustic look you are sacrificing durability with all those scary natural cracks everywhere. Honestly, since I've never dealt with this stuff before, I have no idea how long before those cracks become an issue. Hopefully, the youngest mini-poo will have already graduated from college before Poo3 lands flat on her butt as the seat snaps like a twig!!! LOL! Only time will tell.

As far as care... Once a year (maybe more if you get a lot of rain or the bench is in direct sun for a good part of the day), have "Poo's Boy" remove any excess dirt/grime and lightly sand the bench with 150 and then 220 grit paper and then apply a coat of Cabot Australian Timber Oil Mahogany Flame stain. You can find a local dealer near you.

BTW, if you DO get a lot of rain, I am extremely jealeous!!! I've almost forgotten what the stuff looks like.

• youreit
    16 years ago

OMG, you not only went the full distance on the bench, but you refueled and kept going, Mark! Such detail! And maybe the cracks can represent what certain people are smoking when they talk smack about our troops. LOL

Seriously, it sounds so beautiful! Don't worry, Poo, one of us will help you get those pics on here. :)

LOL @ the cilantro agent! The toads aren't the only lucky ones. :)

B to the renda

• grandmapoo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, Mark! That is just awesome. You gave so much thought and care in the preparation and making of our wonderful bench. We are *impressed* at your pride and devotion to our military.
    "The sorry excuse for the inlaid letters are African Ebony from Tanzania."
    "Sorry excuse"...What?!!! If I know nothing else about our beloved Mark, I definately have learned that you are such a perfectionist! The letters are beautiful! They are so perfect that it's hard to tell that they are inlaid, not just etched and stained a different color.
    Thanks for the link. There is a Lowe's 7 mi from home.
    I'm sorry to report, we are having a VERY rainy spring. I would love to send some rain your way. :)

Mary, no, he did not get that job...yet. The budget on the first one (Montgomery County) is still up in the air. I think he will truly have that position in October when the budget comes up again b/c they told him to update his resume before then to be sure he gets called first. We are still hoping for that one, so he and his family can live close us.

Fairy, I raised my trowel high
    ...but got sand in my eye! :)

LOL, smoking crack! Sounds like someone who ate too much Mexican food the night before! ;p

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

lol on the sand, well not really laughing at you, poo. don't feel bad. i once tipped back a bag of famous amos to get the remaining crumbs. yep, heard of here's mud in your eye? here's cookie crumbs in your eye (and, much to my dismay, i had witnesses!)

• Ima_Celery
    16 years ago

Hi Poo.

We can't imagine anyone being more deserving of this labor of love than you and the Poo family! Thanks Brocky and all for helping to make this become a reality.

Please excuse me while I go find Mark and punch him for down playing his woodworking talents. :-) RAH!

Mike and C3D

• semper_fi
    16 years ago

OUCH! Alright, who hit me?!?! :-)

"I'm sorry to report, we are having a VERY rainy spring. "

Dang show off! :-)))

According to the local weather dude, we just had our second lowest rainfall for March/April combination in the last 100+ years that they have kept such records.

As much as we need the stuff up here in N. GA, the folks in South GA and north FL need it MUCH worse than we do with those raging wildfires. I heard on the radio the other day that the smoke is getting noticed as far as TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• youreit
    16 years ago

Ugh, that is terrible about the fires and drought down there! Among all of the things mother nature can throw at us, I think fire is the most miserable - inhaling the smoke and ash constantly, the orange/yellow sun, the HEAT, the lack of humidity. I can't imagine wanting to go in there and fight something like that, but bless those who gladly and willingly do! You couldn't pay me enough.

Brenda

• grandmapoo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I haven't noticed any smoke or overcast smog over my area. We just got a very nice cool front thru down this far. 58 last night. Strange for this time of year. It may have blown it over the Gulf. Our spring has been unusually hot and humid way too early this year. But it has made the gardens and lawns beautiful here. However, I lost all my little peaches due to the soggy ground. :(

I hope the rains shift and give s. Georgia and Florida their much needed rain. It's time Florida got a break for sure, right!?! With all the hurricanes and flooding over the past couple of years, now wild fires, sheesh!

Fairy, lol @ cookie crumbs in your eye! I've done potato chips and the salt burns like a mutha! I know potatos can have eyes, but this took it to a new level! :o

Thanks Mike and Chicka. You both are sweethearts! :)

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

lol! ever just touch the corner of your eye after squeezing pepperocinis? we arent' even talking hotter peppers! somehow, the oil creeps right in there. i think i could touch my chin and still get my eyes on fire.

to be honest, until yesterday, i didn't realize the fires were still burning!

• sockmonkeyz6
    16 years ago

How about putting your contact lenses in your eyes the morning after you have canned Jalapeno, Hot Cherry or Hot Banana peppers from the garden? WhoooBoy! Fireballs for eyes.
    Debbie

• youreit
    16 years ago

LOL @ stuff in your eyes! Well, it's funny NOW. At the time...

How about bending down to pet the dog, and forgetting about the century plant's spears of death? I thought Mom poked her eye out, but the spike went in shallow between her eye and her temple. And I went out and whacked off every single spike I could reach with the pruners. :D Dad would get odd looks whenever they went shopping, then people would look sympathically at Mom as if to say, "Just leave him, hon! Don't put up with abuse!" LMAO!

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

i am in serious pain just thinking about it, until i view my mental picture of me standing up with the pot protruding from my face!

• scottspond
    16 years ago

Where are the pictures of the bench? I want to see how good of a woodworker Mark is.

Scott

• semper_fi
    16 years ago

Get ready for a good laugh, Scott. Poo3, the more kids, grandkids, obstacles, etc. you can pile IN FRONT of this bench, the better.

Speaking of woodworking, was watching an episode of The New Yankee Workshop where Norm Abram was building an outdoor cupboard. He was talking about protecting the roof and he said: "Instead of using asphalt shingles, I am going to use this liner called: EDPM."

Ummmm.... Norm, I think you meam EPDM, no?! ;-)

• youreit
    16 years ago

LOL @ pots protruding!

Has Norm been hitting the sauce lately? :D

"Get ready for a good laugh, Scott."

I don't think Fi guy felt Mike's slap the first time.

Brenda

• scottspond
    16 years ago

Well, Semper, it is The New YANKEE Workshop. lol

Scott

• jeanner
    16 years ago

Scotts back and going strong :^)

• isis_nebthet
    16 years ago

I've done the jalepeno and the contacts bit before. Worst two things ever though: habenero sauce and bbq...

Let's see this bench :)

• grandmapoo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, ok, here's the pics:

Psych....LOL

Patience is a virtue! I WILL get those pics posted.

I will NOT put any camo around/in front of my gorgeous bench! No, I won't do it. The pics will be CLOSE up, showing DETAIL! :)

Mark, did you take a pic of your bench before you shipped it? If so, go ahead and post it and mine will follow later, with the Poo family and garden. :)

• semper_fi
    16 years ago

Take a picture of YOUR bench, Poo3??? Why in the world would I do that?!?! I was really unhappy with my first attempt at inlaying but time was running out so it had to do.

But anyway, I DID find the identical bench on the internet... here it is:

{{gwi:168496}}

Please don't laugh at my workmanship! If you can do better, I'm all ears.

• scottspond
    16 years ago

Oh! Y'all are so funny. Ha ha.

Scott

• semper_fi
    16 years ago

"Ha ha."

MAN! I said please don't laugh!!!

Alright, I was joshing. That wasn't it. Here it is... {{gwi:168497}}

As you can see time, top notch material, and attention to detail was absolutely no object for our Poo. :-)

• Ima_Celery
    16 years ago

Hey! When did my Mrs. send you that picture? Marco, you got your photographs mixed up. That is a fine example of my woodworking skills.

Poos bench is MUCH nicer!

Mikey

• scottspond
    16 years ago

I knew that wasn't it. There's no mahogany there!

You know the Charlie Daniels song "The Devil Went Down to Georgia"? Well, you're going to think he came up from Florida if you keep this up. :o) If it don't interfer with our home buying.

Scott

• sockmonkeyz6
    16 years ago

NOT amused. You have no idea how impatient I am obviously.
    Debbie

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio