Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickadeedeedee

Room for Three?

chickadeedeedee
15 years ago

Camp Nappy Resorts and Recreation Center, yadda, yadda, yadda ... Bunny Bed and Breakfast is officially OPEN for business.
{{gwi:168654}}

Gonna be a looooooong night! :-)

Comments (26)

• jeanner
    15 years ago

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aren't they precious?

So what's with the bunnies?

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Miss Jean. :-)

Someone brought them in this afternoon. One of their dogs killed the Mama bunny yesterday or the day before. They were cold, wet, dehydrated so they got some warm fluids under the skin. I gave them 50% dextrose in the mouth to get their blood sugar up and of course warmed them up.

Since they haven't been fed for a while they need frequent little meals for a day or so while their tummies adjust to getting milk. Their eyes are *just* begining to open.

They've already escaped from bed once. Now their bed is in a little wicker basket. Olive needed to know What's that? when I was setting up the bunny nursery. I showed her one of the bunnies and she said, Oooohhhh! HellLLLooo!
    Hi Sweetheart! Boy or girl? LOL!

So far so good with the bunnies. We needed something to do in our spare time! And, call me Miss CleOh, but I **KNEW** we would get another guest(s) this week. I just knew it!

Time to feed the babies. :-)

I'll try and get a less fuzzy picture of the fuzzies tomorrow.

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mmmmmmmmm. Bunnies!
    {{gwi:168655}}

They all got warmed fluids (LRS) under the skin because they're still dehydrated and warm milk in their bunny bellies. The smallest drank the most. The largest drank the least but he got out of his basket and moved away from the heating pad. Once he got warmed up he was drinking better.

Their little eyes are open more.

Been up since 4:00 AM! :-)

• youreit
    15 years ago

Ohhhhh, my goodness!! Aren't they just the cutest little bundles of yummy deliciousness!!

Kiss ops to the maximum!

Is it almost vacation time, Chicka? LOL

Brenda

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Vacation? This joint is a vocation.

One day I'll post the *whole* scoop on the Camp Nappy Enterprises, UnLtd. ®

C with 3Ds, a Robin, Sugar Gliders, Fiddler Crabs, Cockateils brooding two more eggs, Red Crabs ....

:-)

• hnladue
    15 years ago

Oh My!!

Spring has sprung!! So when do the squirrels check in?

• jeanner
    15 years ago

They are just too cute! I want to cuddle too, got room for a big (ass) bunny in that basket????

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

*~*~*SIGH*~*~*

And then there was one.

The two larger bunnies became cold although in their crib, refused to eat and died yesterday. :*( The tiniest bunny, who was the weakest of the three is (for now) thriving.

He's opened his eyes all the way, is warm, walks around and had his first tiny hop this morning. :-) When he's drinking from his bottle tiny bunny feet kneeded my hand this morning. After he was done a tiniy bunny tongue gave my finger a lick.

He was fed again about two hours later(about 7:45 AM) and drank almost as much as he did with the first swig of the morning. :-)

Bunnies are notorious for doing well and then suddenly dying. I know this. I know this. I know this. Therefore I am remaining emotionally detached from this sweet precious little hopping, licking, kneeding bunnykins. ;-)

C3D

• youreit
    15 years ago

WHY must the unstable cuties always be so finger-licking good?! Rest in peace, 2 babies. Still hoping for the little one, even though I don't want to jinx it.

Brenda

• hnladue
    15 years ago

Bunnies are probably the hardest babies to raise. Our vets here don't have any luck with those who don't have their eyes open.
    Good luck Chicka!! At least they have a warm loving home, and not tasty crunchies for someones dog.

• jeanner
    15 years ago

Don't be so hard on yourself C3D, you have a wonderful track record. And when you save just one small feathered or furried friend, you are actually saving GENERATIONS to come. And they definitely have a much better chance in your care than in the wild.

So enjoy your little bunny, do what you do so well, and pray for the best!

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Baby Beebee is doing well. He crawled almost out of the crib in search of dinner tonight! Ooooooooo! He's got tiny finger nails and teeny tiny teeth! A tiny tail to match. There's little bunny poops and pees without need of that stimulation stuff. Acting like a big bunny now! :-)

Mike was feeding him about two hours ago and Olive asked Whatcha doing? Mike told her he was feeding the bunny. She asked again but Mike made the mistake to not bother to answer.

She yelled, YO! Whatcha doing Pretty Boy?

Pretty Boy told her he was feeding the baby bunny.

Very well. Baby birdy doing very well. HiiiiIIIIIIIiiiii, Sweetheart! Boy or girl? Are you a girl? followed by the sound of kisses. (She doesn't know the word BUNNY yet.)

LOL! Olive. What would we do without her help? :-)

Squirrel guests? You never know who's checking in here!

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The morning bunny report:

All is well so far. OMG! When I looked in on him early this morning, he was washing his tiny leg! :-) Gotta keep lookin' good AND cute! He doesn't need to put much effort into it though.

Beebee is eating very well. Two servings about two hours apart this morning. Poopin' and peeing on his own too! Such a big bunny.

Olive noticed OooooOOOOOOooo! Very well. Birdy doing VERY WELL!

You heard it from ~the one who knows!~ (Except for that eye thing....)

Here's lookin' at you baby: {{gwi:168656}}

• youreit
    15 years ago

I'm so warm and fuzzy right now!!!

"He's got tiny finger nails and teeny tiny teeth! A tiny tail to match....he was washing his tiny leg!"

I'm drooling....literally. Beebee is SO delicious, she can't help but taste herself! LOL @ Olive! She is such a helpful birdie. I wonder if Beebee IS a girl....that would be amazing!

Brenda

• pikecoe
    15 years ago

Looks like a girl to me. Glenda

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This mornings bunny report is still a good one!

Little Beebee climbed out from under the towels and was perched atop waiting for breakfast to be served. She is eating well and the biggest problem is some of the milk runs down the fur under the neck making a sticky mess. It isn't easy to clean someone who is shorter than the length of my thumb!

The Olive report this morning remains good too. oooOOOOOOooo! Boy or girl? Pretty girl. Yep! Baby birdie doing very well! Yepper! HiiiiiIIIIIIIiiii Sweetheart!

Sooooo..... Maybe Beebee is a girl? The little bunny parts are too small for me to tell at this point.

I phoned my avian vet friend and asked how best to insure Beebee will continue to survive. We don't want to have the thriving bunny today and sudden death a few hours later as so often happens. I had read that if the GI tract of the bunny can be inoculated with the bacteria that normally are in a bunny, the chances for survival increase. I had been adding a product that is a pro-biotic which contains beneficial bacteria for mammals in general.

I asked if he thought it would be a good idea to get some parasite free bunny poop, smash up a bit, mix in with a small amount of milk and feed it to Beebee. Sounds like a disgusting thing to do but it would inoculate Beebee's intestines with the kind of bacteria that BUNNIES need for their herbivore diet. He thought that actually would be the ideal inoculation.

Any other day we'd be tripping over bunny poop in the garden. Not a single nugget was to be found anywhere yesterday. I'll call a client who has a bunny and ask him to bring some inoculation materials. I'll first check to make sure there's no worms or other parasites and then we can give some to Beebee. She'd only need it once.

Please don't panic if you don't get a bunny report for the next few days. We are going to visit Mike's brother and his family and meet our new Niece who was born on Mother's Day. Beebee is coming too. Barry is being boarded so he will get his eye drops three times a day.

Kindest regards,

C3D

• pikecoe
    15 years ago

Enjoy your little vacation. We will miss our bunny and Barry report, but that gives us something to look forward to. I understand the beneficial bacteria thing. We used to raise Ostrich and that was absolutely necessary. Probiotics and getting them to eating as fast as possible. Otherwise one day they are fine and the next day their head is drooping and the next day they are dead and not a thing you can do about it. That and having a baby goat to teach them how to eat. Anxiously awaiting your return. Glenda

• youreit
    15 years ago

"Anxiously awaiting your return."

Me, too!! I LOVE how I can not only hear about precious little creatures, but I can learn something, as well. Here's hoping the vacation is fun and totally uneventful for all the creatures involved. :)

Congrats on the new niece!!

Brenda

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all.

Beebee got her dose of bunny juice with a warm milk chaser! :-) She's doing great so far. We hope to have only *happy* stuff to report next week.

Niece? This is their first daughter. They have FOUR little boys already! EEEEEEEKKKKKKKK!!!!!! :-)

See you next week.

Me

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all.

And so our selfish struggle to keep BeeBee with us has come to an end as we feared it would. There is NO substitute to a Mother's love and care no matter how much we want to convince ourselves we can do it.

Sunday morning BeeBee was not sitting on top of the towels of her bed but was tucked inside. She was colder than usual and not very interested in eating. We gave her some warmed fluids under the skin, cranked up the heating pad to a higher setting and kept annoying her for about the next three hours to get her to eat. She ate a little each time she was offered and drank *very* nicely with the last feeding about 11:00AM.

OK. We were pleased we ~helped~ her again. Two hours later she was getting cold again, drank some milk and was tucked in with towels warmed from the dryer. BeeBee left us and went to be with her litter mates and Mum about an hour later. You just can't argue with a determined bunny.

I wish I knew why she made that downward spiral. A few days earlier she was content and washing her tiny leg. I think if it was the bunny poo juice she got, she would have been ill the next morning not two days later. Maybe it was? We never really will know why Beebee died but we cherish the time she spent with us.

She's buried in Tennessee at Mike's childhood home, where his younger brother and family still live. Aside from this event, everyone is doing fine, thanks.

Thanks for coming along on this latest rollercoaster ride. Sorry that it has come to an end as it did. Wonder who will come to visit us next?

C3D :*(

• bonnieblueyes
    15 years ago

Oh Chicka im so sorry for you and Beebee :-( How very sad, and i know how attached you must have gotten to her. Sometimes there is just nothing that can be done and we just have to accept that we cant fix everything. Im just so sorry. I really thought she was going to make it because she had been doing so good. You know you tried your hardest to help her. Her little soul has gone to be with her family now. Chin up because you did good and you tried to make a difference. Hope you feel better soon.
    Bonnie

• youreit
    15 years ago

Awww, you sure did try, as always, Chicka. I'll miss that little leg-licking cutie pie! Ni-ni, sweet BeeBee.

Brenda

• pikecoe
    15 years ago

C3D's Sorry about little bunny. You did your best, as always. Sunday morning when our grandson went down to feed the horses he saw a momma and a daddy fox and 3 little kits. The momma and daddy ran off and he said he tried to catch a baby. But he didn't try too hard because he said he was afraid they might have rabies. He's just a kid. I told him it was a good thing that he didn't because Momma and poppa might have run off, but if baby had let out a squeal, they would have been right there to the rescue.Glenda

• jeanner
    15 years ago

Ah geez. It just wasn't meant to be, despite your best efforts ... and I know you did everything possible.

Please don't ever stop posting your rescue stories, even though I am sure it can be hard to share your losses. First of all it's so wonderful that you work so hard to save so many and many times it is the bright spot of my day to read another C3D story. And second, I have learned so much from reading about the treatments you use - not that I will ever be able to help like you do but it is fascinating (and very humbling!).

Thank you C3D.

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. No matter how much I try ... it fails 50% of the time with bunnies. The first two that died didn't get a chance to recover from exposure, dehydration and starvation they experienced by the time they were brought in. But the tiniest ... BeeBee sure seemed to have recovered. I'd love to know what else could have been / should have been done for her. We even looked for a new Mama bunny for her.

There's a lady who lived about an hour and a half away who had the very best luck with raising bunnies. Her bunny record was like my baby bird record ... If they make it the first night 98% of them survive. But sadly this lady has passed away.

All I can hope for is that all baby bunnies are allowed to stay in their nests safe with their Moms. If not ... (CRAP!) We'll try it again with a much happier ending.

We almost had the beginning of another tale yesterday. Mike found a family of killdeer (Mom, Dad and three chicks) hit in the road. Mike pulled the family off the road so they wouldn't get smashed any more and off the side of the road was the lone survivor with a broken wing and other injuries. Mike got the baby and was bringing him to me when the chick died. :*( How can someone drive through a little family like that?

It's not even June. Will someone else be a guest here? We'll all find out together. Thanks again.

C3D

(Barry is still OK. Gonna reduce the medication schedule and see where we stand on that front.)

• youreit
    15 years ago

GEEZ!! That is so disgusting, I can't even imagine not swerving; even if the poor creature is already gone, I do everything I can to NOT run over it.

Hope that little family is reunited at the bridge, commiserating about bad drivers and how good the vittles are "on this side."

I'm along for the ride, Chicka. You're stuck with me. :D

Brenda

P.S. Barry's cousin is singing to me while I water the yard today (multi-tasking, donchaknow....); what a wonderful way to start the day!!