Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
retirement batcave

Posted by fairy_toadmother z5 ncentral il (My Page) on
Wed, May 10, 06 at 22:51

holy flying grannies, batman! this bat is "at least 41 years old."

"oldest bat on record" in case the link doesn't go direct.

Here is a link that might be useful: bci times

Follow-Up Postings:

o
red alert for california

OH NO! bats are dropping in northern californians' yards, presumably of starvation...

Here is a link that might be useful: bci news

o
RE: retirement batcave

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 11, 06 at 11:50

I can't believe they're starving, FTM! It seems like we have an abundance of insects this year due to the exceedingly wet winter/early spring, but maybe it's too much, too late. I'd love to see one in my yard, but not under those circumstances. :(

Wow, 41+ years old! I wish there was a way to keep them as pets, because if I got one now...:D

Brenda

o

very sad! are you in the north, brenda?

o

Brenda, who would take care of it when you are dead and gone. :o)

G'day,
Scott

o

Fri, May 12, 06 at 12:16

Thanks for reminding me of that, Scott. LOL Hey, I'm only 37! I think I could get away with a 50-yr.-old. :D

I am in the north, FTM, near Sacramento. Maybe DH and I should take a drive this weekend, to the farm fields down the road, and see if we can find anything out of the ordinary. I know I used to see them all the time during dawn and dusk while walking the dog a few years back.

Brenda

o

"I think I could get away with a 50-yr.-old"-- hmmmm, not sure how to take that :)

well, brenda, hopefully you don't find any adn it is a good thing!

o

Mon, Dec 11, 06 at 10:15

Blast from the past (post) here! :)

I just had to post this for you, FTM, and ALL of the other bat lovers. :D The tube-lipped nectar bat...THAT'S a mouthful! LOL

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Bat has longest tongue of any mammal

o

That's really too bad for the bat population. A totally misunderstood mammal as it is. I love bats! Saw a pair mating on the ground about a month ago. I would think it would be too late to mate. I wonder what the gestation term is and how quickly the young are self-sustaining.

Many of Marylands bats leave to go to Western MD caves for winter where the temperature remains constant. If this pair was planning on it they had better get going instead of fooling around in the grass!

CT

o

seeing that gene simmons picture just killed me! didnt' expect it. :)
thanks, brenda!

interesting, ct...i must remember to check that out when my schedule frees up, temporarily.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here