Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my wand is rusting, i am such an idiot!

Posted by fairy_toadmother z5 ncentral il (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 28, 06 at 2:48

i could just feed myself to the biggest python i can find!

i have been watching the mud puddles at work...tadpoles drying up in the sun. yesterday, i drove past one (they are on our gravel road) adn there was hardly any water left in it compared to the other day...and someone had drove through it. grrrrrr. well, they didn't know. anyway, the treefrog tads were in water barely covering their backs in some places. others were no more than 1 inch deep. the average area was 4" across. basically the size of a deer footprint.

so, i thought to myself (or denied to myself) they are literally stacked like sardines in this tiny amount of water so they should be ok in my 20-30 gal puddle at home. i brought a very large number home and added them to the others i had (just a few). i left even more than i took home.

today, i can barely see in there from the cloudiness. however, i am certain they died, even though i don't see any dead ones. the ones i had already have more pigment than the new guys. they had been in such muddy tan clay water they had little pigment at all. or, i assume that is the reason. they seem to gain pigment after about a week in my puddle.

i say they died b/c when i put them in they practically covered the bottom of my puddle, though they did have some room to spread out b/c they didn't swim around my rock. there should be so many in there, though, that they should be easy to find and they are not! they only had back legs and in my experience there is no way they would have morphed in 24 hours!

i wanna cry! then again, they were going to die anyway. today i checked again to get more to add to my emergency "pond." they had graded the road and dead ones were all over! then i came home and couldn't find the ones i got yesterday. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my wand is rusting, i am such an idiot!

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 28, 06 at 10:58

You're not an idiot, FTM! Like you said, they would have died in the puddle (under the grader or the car's tires!), anyway!

You tried, and even though there are such mass productions of the little critters for just that reason, I know they appreciate your efforts. :)

I hope I come back as a tadpole near your house some day. :D

Brenda

o

FTM you are not an idiot!

You are a kind hearted compassionate individual who went out of her way to attempt to save some lives. How many people saw those same puddles and did nothing?

I would bet you anything that at least some of your tadpoles did survive! If you can run a filter through your pond with some carbon to clear the water you may be pleasantly surprised. A wading pool for children makes a great temporary tadpole hotel. This we know from experience. :-)

Chin up! The sparkle is still in your wand because the sparkle is still in your heart and soul!

Mike

o

Oh Fairy, here's my shoulder. I can only imagine how you feel...hold on...here's a kleenex instead (you're dripping)
You did a good deed and your wand is as good as they get!
I've heard that those littler type froggie taddies can morph and crawl away overnight on those warm nights. (trying to interject some hope.)
I hope you find them alive, either in the water or a bunch of little choir members serenading you in thanks.
No matter the outcome, hold that wand high...nobody else tried to save them. :)

o

i knew all of you would succeed in boosting my spirits! waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

brenda, let me give you directions here!
chicka, i tried my extra carbon filter last night. i made matters (literally) worse :) i have never liked this filter but it is all i have except what is in my angel tank. all that happens is the water runs around the carbon cartridge and not through it. it is supposed to be good for turtle tanks and runs in low water but it is extremely inefficient.

poo, *PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP* ah, that's better. thank you. they didnt' have nubs for front legs yet, so i don't think so. i hope my water clears soon and i can see them....hope,hope,hope.

o

Awww, you were trying to do the right thing. Your heat was in the right place. I'm the dummy! I took four BIG scoops of babies out of my big pond and put them in my smaller pond away from all the big fish so the babiea would be nice and safe. Well, I didn't think about the minnows my husband had in there for fishing, the minnows had a FEAST! I was so bummed for several days(and pissed at my husband, but that's everyday) I have a bunch of new babies in the big pond today, and that's where they are gonna stay. Hopefully hidden o\in the plants

o

And then there's the story of that fictional person that saw the new butterfly struggling and tried to help the butterfly get out of the crysallis, thereby not trusting nature and the butterfly's wings were crippled for life...

What's in that story for all of us gentle, nature nuts?
I dunno...I'm gonna go outside now and see what I can help.

P.S. Fairy, since my "interjected hope" theory got shot down, then I hope you find them alive, to your great surprise, when the water clears. Your wand is slipping, get it back up there!

~I'm so happy for this group that allows us to share our
true nature~ I wish you all were my neighbors. :P

o

This reminds me of the time when I was in a city park in the little town where my parents live and found a puddle full of baby brown bullhead catfish. I dipped up a net full and carried them home and put them in an old bath tub full of water. A couple of days later, they all jumped out. That was when I was still into farm ponds but just before I lost all interest in ponding. I swore that I would never use an old bath tub again. I've have a tub now but it's an RV tub and used for starting and reviving plants. Last year, it was full of tadpoles.

You, my fellow ponder friend, are no idiot.

G'day,
Scott

o

well, my watr has cleared and maybe 5 out of the probably hundred are still there. definitely gone, and none of them had front legs or green pigmentation.

on another note, the ones i brought home last night and in their own tub are doing fine. i did lose two for sure- fished their decomposing bodies out this afternoon. two of them are turning green, so i give them 2 days to be land'ho!

truth be known, the road is at work. i left a lot yesterday b/c there was training in the area and took my chances as it was. i left a lot. today, even after our rain and saturated ground, the road soaked up a tremendous amount of water. lots more dead, but i got about 20. osme were still alive in nothing but mud. no clear water at all. i am amazed. but, not surprised if i lose some.

i am also positive i treated the first group too rough, even though they all swam as soon as they went in. plus, the sudden increase in numbers. :(

sockmonkey, thank you and i am sorry.

poo, it means we shouldn't be messing with nature. and, i told myself that. and, i rationalized that we already messed with it so i could try to help counterbalance that action.

thank you, scott!

o

i forgot to add a couple of things- dh was pushing me off to bed since i am working in at 7 am today. normally i work afternoons so that gives the tads all day to dry up in the sun.

of greatest importance- thank you to all of you for your moral support and cheering section! it had me pretty bummmed out.

*note- spiderwebs are just as sticky after being submerged in water. just ask the tadpoles that kept getting stuck in them. what was i thinking? i just grabbed that tub for "batch" number two and didn't wipe out the cobwebs. but, they weren't too bad and if nothing else the bugger got exercise.

i am wondering if i wasn't visited by a racoon. they have always been very incognito here. they never leave a trace except for "what is that doing over there?" well, my lily basket has been sitting outside my puddle for weeks b/c it froze solid and died. i haven't picked it up yet, but twice now i have found it "Pushed" back in the puddle. it wasn't in a position to just slide in but was close to the edge. romeo drinks here but i don't see him doing it or the squirrels.

also, last week, i went out thre and there was a wet splotch on the rock about 6 inches across, and then a "trail" leading into the shed. no good prints to see though. and, i checked romeos pedals, belly,and tail. all were dry. if it were him, he would hve had to fall in, and wouldn't he still be wet if the rocks were?

finally, even though a vast majority are gone and i thought i had a mass die off. th originals are still in there. if the water went bad, as it should from a die off, wouldn't they have died too? is it possible the water was still cloudy from being stirred up? the mud that went in with the tads are a tan clay color and would appear as cloudiness. hmmmmmm

nothing else was out of place. hmmmmm. i am sure i forgot to add something!

o

You're so wonderful. :) You have a beautiful heart, sweet FTM. You will be blessed with babies galore, I guarantee it. LOL

o

Fairy, was it daytime or night time when you saw the wet area? Coons mostly come out at night, although I've seen them during the day too. Did you check in the shed? Maybe whatever it is is sleeping in there? I'd be ((((((shaking))))))) if I had to investigate...Oh, be careful. You know, you could put some sand down in that area or put it in a pan or two if you didn't want to make a sandy mess and see if you get a print.
I hope what ever it is didn't take up residence in your shed!
Also, I think you are right. The dead tads would show after this short of a time and if they deteriorated, they would keep the water cloudy. I think you could smell the stinch too.
Hope you solve both mysteries.

o

Thu, Jun 29, 06 at 13:55

"Did you check in the shed?"

If those aren't famous last words, then I don't what are! LOL

Oh, FTM, the spider webs! I know I'm supposed to be in "supportive" mode now, but that's just too funny. I could see you stressing, trying to find anything to put them in. And I would have done the SAME thing.

I wish we were all neighbors, too. Instead of neighbors from "he11", we'd be neighbors from "I never get anything done", though. :D

Brenda

o

Oh, but we would have soooooooooooo much fun! Could you just picture us looking for the thing from the twilight zone in Fairy's shed???!!! :)

o

Soon your wand will be covered with your little froggies! :-)

Well done, FTM!

C3D

o

andrea, don't let that get around. i'd loose my reputation :)

i saw the wet area at night, about 11:30 pm. also, the bog monster only went into the doorway of the shed and seemingly no further. lots of leaves in there still b/c the door stays open. there would be no interest of going further in since romeo's water dish and food are right at the doorway. looking for an easy meal, i'd say. i only wish the water was there the same day they went m.i.a. but nearly 24 hours had passed since they went in.

we used to have a possum living in the shed- a couple of diff times. once was when romeo was a kitten. they would sit right next to each other, possum probably ignoring him and romeo waiting for his "turn" to eat.

i never really needed to put sand out since all i usually have in there is a lily. it used to get tipped over occassionally and i would right it. but, i am going to consider it as long as tads are there. the ones i had put in weren't very good swimmers so that could have contributed to their demise. not much exercise in 1/2" of water. i am thinking they weren't as fast as the others that are still there. they had to wobble getting to the top the night i put them in. so, why wouldn't a coon have found them and ate them from the road puddle? maybe since it was in the woods and plenty of creek they just never ventured there. there were mainly just deer tracks.

"Did you check in the shed?" -- lol! sounds like a line from a horror movie. or, food of the gods movie. i suppose i will find treefrogs large enough to swallow me and dh. that'll serve me right! hmmm, now where did i put that bottle from chem lab....

yes, brenda, lol.... except i had forethought to fill it up BEFORE i went to work to get the tads so the water would warm up over the afternoon. blonde moment. i DID look at them and think, i should wipe those out (i am getting them out now while wet). nahhhhh, it'll be fine. i think i better go explain myself to them now- well, it IS a strength training and agility program. you should be used to it seeing as where you came from :)

i am taking my chances, i just moved the "frogger" to the crime scene puddle. it has more gently sloping sides to get out than that half barrel liner it was in.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! one of them is missing half of its back leg :(

"I wish we were all neighbors"--lol! dh would run for the hills but it would be great fun!!!! having great mental pictures right now...a bunch of ladies crowding in front of the door, andrea posing for photo shoots- not now andrea, get over here! everyone with flashlights (except scott sitting in the lawn chair with a sweet tea watching the show and andrea b/c she has the photographer lights on poles in preparation for the big catch), mine is a 4 d-cell mag, brenda with a pen light "ITS ALL I HAVE!!!" Here, i have enough for all of us! i'm short, i'll go low, poo- go high with that texas sized light source. chicka, do you still have that defense only-in-case-of-imminent-death-2x4 and sasquatch live trap barrel that sockmonkey brought? yikes, hurry don't let the monkeys get lost! light beams glare out of the falling apart roof in all directions... mcdonald's search lights are no competition, cops are called and they, in turn, call batman b/c they are sure aliens have landed somewhere in town, and they find these crazed ladies staring wildly in the shed ranting lunacies about fairies, twilight zones, and bog monsters coming from this pond that is really only big enough for a small dog...what are these women thinking? they search my hay bale that just happens to be inside the shed in question for those wacky shroooms. they are just sure we are flying without a license. while we are being led away in handcuffs in the paddy wagon, jeanner hollers "say cheese!"

o

THEY ARE SOOOOOOOO BUSTED!!!!!! (told you i was a night person, chicka!)

here i am, i even walk past the kitchen window and see nothing. i am heading off to the toaster. well, half way through i decide to put these ancient bagels out for the birds. it is 0500 hrs. i open the back door- NO WONDER MY SQUIRRELS WERE SUCH PIGS! here is momma coon and her 5 babies raiding my squirrel feeder! ok, so no, they weren't in the water but there IS circumstancial evidence. is it horrible to say i feel so much better about myself? at least they had a lunch and it should have been quick. i am telling these are the sneakiest racoons around here than i have ever known.

anway, just adorable! three ran up the utility pole, 2 went down the tops of the privacy fence and momma went overboard (but not far). i decided to go out a little furthr with the bagels. one on the fence was much darker. no, i didn't get close enough for mom to be nervous but close enough to see that, put the bagels by the fence, and hear their heavy breathing. back in the house i go and proceed to be entertained by the attempt to walk the top of the privacy fence. oh, i do love babies attempts at agility. it didnt' take long for those two trying to get in the feeder box simultaneously. mom went up the pole to summons the others down and along the fenceline b/t the neighbors they went. one slipped on the top of the chainlink and tried like a trooper to manage that. it ended up straddling the fence rail, legs hanging down, of course. then, tried to hang on to one side before giving up and going to ground. just adorable! toast is forgotten and still in the toaster!

well, that was a quick mystery solved!

o

Wow, what a story...what 2 stories!!! Love your rendition of "neighbors from la la land"! (I pictured Scott with the other dh's, shaking their heads while making snide remarks about what the neighborhood was coming to.) lol Oh, and you were right on...my son just bought me a HIGHPOWERED flash light, something similar to what they use in the Army. I could picture it all...There we all are, tripping over each other in the shed. I'm 5'8"; could you see me with my BIG flashlight from he--, eyes big as saucers; skinny, but swollen knees knocking together, looking for....
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..."Oh sh--, Fairy, your wand just poked me where to sun don't shine!!!" ***FLOP*** (That was me fainting.)
I'm sooooooooo glad you saw the "swamp monsters". At least you know what your dealing with.

Two summers ago, I walked upon a mommy racoon and 3 young'uns meandering, real slow like, thru my garden, all cute and cuddley. I ran, like a maniac, to get the camera and when I got back out they were running, ***FAST*** and already across my yard, mommy leading the way. They all went up a pine tree. I got a cute shot of them peering, from the backside of the tree, to look at me taking their picture. I knew racoons carried rabies, but after I told the story, someone told me, "When you see coons in the daytime, it's very likely they have rabies because they usually come out at night." Well, I have to say, if they had rabies, they were some cute little rabied critters!
Ok, so next time I see coons in the day time, I'll just back away S-L-O-W-L-Y. I'm still like a kid, I just want to pick up things and cuddle them. :)

o

Huh! Only coons! I had my Sasquatch live trap all cleaned out of fur from the last one and ready on the back of the truck to come to Illinois, fairy! Oh, well I'm sure something else will come up. See any strange lights, smell strange smells, hear weird noises? Let me know, I'll git 'er loaded back up and be on mah way!
Debbie

o

Fri, Jun 30, 06 at 15:50

FTM, you're the BEST storyteller! I could totally picture all of us animal fanatics (some among us [yes, ME!] having enough "common sense" *snicker* to fear some things we can't see or cuddle), crammed in the little shed, giggling, tripping, stabbing with wands...ahhh, good times!

I could also picture Fi guy back there providing us cover from "snapper" fire, and his DW with her heat-seeking video camera and assorted ghost hunting equipment, just in case the shed is haunted.

Sandy would provide cover from the green roof, too, with her back all healed up (because in la-la-land, ain't nobody hurtin'!).

I think the 'coons would be kickin' it with the guys, because I'm pretty sure they have a sense of humor, too. :D

Brenda

o

ah! my brain was moving so fast, i missed semper. thanks, brenda. i meant to put that in there somewhere. thanks for the compliment- that is what 5 hours sleep, coffee, pepsi, diet pepsi, reeses peanunt butter marshmallow cup, blueberry muffin, and a large brownie with pb icing will do for my imagination! in other words, lots of punchiness, sugar, and caffeine trying to keep moving! btw, i do think that shed is haunted! well, maybe it is just the sound of insects chewing on old wood :)

lol, sandy with camo paint on her face, complete with alice and wonderland colors. after all, there are brightly colored flowers up there. gotta blend!

people see poo's get up and at 5'8" (amazon woman, eh? glad i said i would go low!) the nation decides that "don't mess with texas" is based upon this one desperado cilantro loving woman! sorry poo! i forgot about the poison dart frog stuff. i grabbed the "tazer" wand instead of my godmother wand, just in case. imo, those coons were rubbernecking at the wild woman high-tailing it for no apparant reason.

we have racoon at work that you could set your clock by. every day about 4pm he runs across the large open area, under the fence, across the road and into the corn field.

yes, debbie, only coons. i tell ya though. it initially looked like a mighty big enormous stupendousiferous sized coon when all 5 and momma were in a pile up on that 8 foot tall fence!

i'll keep watch for the sasquatch hunter p/u. then again, i see, hear, smell all those things on a daily basis. it just comes naturally to me, i guess. :)

o

Ah FTM, you saved more frogetts than would have ever made it in the wild, even if they hadn't been in an evaporating puddle in the middle of the road. Look at this way, think of the multitude of frogs that will be born to future generations, so you didn't just save a few, you saved 1000's!

Ahh, and I wanna see the baby coons too - I haven't seen the babies with mamma in over a week and I miss their cute little suet-raiding-red-bud-demolishing-gutter-climbing-pot-digging faces!

o

i have never thought of it that way, jeanner! big smiles! now, if only they would just come back and breed in my puddle but they never have. hmmmm. i am definitely doing something wrong. i did have one come back and visit later in the season that first and last time i raised them at home. i also hear a male (well obviously, eh?) from down the road where they have a pool. i wonder if they save the tads? i know of a couple houses that have backyard ponds, but for the most part this town seems sterile. although i do hear the toads, but never see them. i truly wonder how many are still around from then, including the toads, and how many have multiplied...and how many came from my puddle/foster home- simply b/c i only ever hear just one frog!

i have a feeling that my coon squad will be sighted no more. they only allowed one peek that last time about 2 years ago.

i have been contemplating keeping gimpy, the poor thing with half its leg missing. but i am afraid to. i tried that once before when it was too close to winter and they died on me within a week. they were so tiny. i even saw one of them eat a cricket i had purchased. no warning. i know that treefrogs "prefer" to walk than jump, so perhaps it will be just fine.

i am also happy to report that frogger is clinging to one of my rocks tonight! yaaaay!

o

Fairy, Maybe there are more coons around and other things that eat taddies and froggies that are keeping their population down around your neighborhood, than you realize?
At the end of the summer when the ribbon and garter snakes breed and have dozens of babies, my tad and frog population almost disappears. That's when I get my next door neighbor boy to catch as many as he sees and relocate them to the creek area. My goldfish disappear mid-late summer too, and it took me a long time to realize it was the snakes eating them.
I'm on nature patrol 24/7 when it comes to my frogs, but at night I don't usually venture out to the pond. It's too near the woods, dark and the mosquitos have a feast on this Texas size Amazon woman. I would dare say that half of the mosquito population in Texas is a direct result of my own blood aiding in the developement of eggs! LOL
I know at the end of last summer, the ribbon snake that hung out in my flower bed next to the back light, ate my 2 toads that I fed June bugs each night and also ate my tree frogs that hung out on the windows. I would watch them from inside the house, eating bugs and being sooooo cute!
I have none of them this year; toad nor tree frog. I have nothing interesting to after dark now! :(

o

most definitely, poo. i knew there were racoons around a few years ago, yet this is only the second time i have seen any. and 5 babes? can you just imagine if all of them are doing so well? mama was a big girl also! not fat, just big.

and lots of squirrel...

o

Some ARE huge, aren't they?! Undoubtly been eating good. Coons remind me of bear cubs the way they waddle, expecially the grown ones. They are cute, but oh soooooooo mischievious! They must really have a great sense of smell to have came for your tadpoles.
Do you live around a wooded area? Here in my neck of the woods, some still call it "the country" even tho in recent years, there's been a trememdous leap in development. I can't say I like seeing all the country disappear. I don't see near as many wild animals at night when driving anymore.

o

omg...tears down my face laughing at that story! don't forget webfeeet standing in hip waders in the middle of the pond screeching to us that we're a bunch of damn idiots. LOL!!

o

lmao, andrea! very appropriate, yes indeed! forget the hipwaders, webfeet! what are YOU thinking? it is barely a foot deep. you won't even get a web wet! oh no! i just got a mental pic of webfeeet standing in my half barrel liner in this scene, steps in water goes swoosh and tadpoles hang 10 on the resulting mini tsunami it causes. don't ask me why webfeet is in there. ask webfeet. maybe it works like a circle of salt.

hey poo! yes they are and i have seen bigger! not usually in a town setting though, so she surprised me. the big "dogs" are eating healthily over at an unnamed prison i used to work at. lots of thrown away "edibles" (if you can call it that).

they were probably visiting my puddle before i put in the tads, but not obvious about it. they never are. i set my alarm the other morning to get up and watch. well, they either were late or changed their schedule entirely. after all, i saw the bogmonster wet spots that evening before and then again last night. way before schedule. i suspect they have altered their patrols to keep the surveilance at a loss. or, i have more than i thought.

i am not near a wooded area at all. although, i do live on the edge of town near cornfields and some open areas. there are some remnants of woods in another section of town on my "side" but not close. however, my neighborhood is long established from the 50's. there are many "mature" trees. i recall seeing racoons where my grandmother used to live that was much more developed. these racoons i am getting are way more incognito than you usually hear about. very little vocalizations and very little disturbance. we do not often use our garbage cans outside for garbage (yard waste), but when we did i never found the lids off or bags torn up.

o

I guess they are urban coons, adapted to city life, educated to travel in groups and change their schedules so not to be easily targeted.
On the other hand, them thare country coons don't give a country rat's a-- if they hoot it up and tump over every garbage can in sight. The more noise, the more you can guarantee yourself that you are more out in the country. They 'specially like them old fashion metal cans. Lids just pop right off when tumped over. Country coons just ain't got the smarts to realize that if they changed their schedule up a little, they'd be less likely to get shot in the hiney. And they'll be there the very same time every night. Country folk don't need alarm clocks. They hear the coon rukkus and know it's time to go milk the cow and gather the eggs. And in the country, they're so big they dare ya to come out and try sumpthin! And if ya do, they'll just carry that thar can with back 'um into tha woods, while using it as a shield against the buck shot.

Different strokes for different...uh...coons! I'll send ya some buck shot for some of those ***HUGE*** cilantro seeds. I guess if I learned anything, I learned that it's not true that everything is bigger in Texas. ;)

o

oh, as far as waddling, i forgot to mention those adorable humped backs! love your rendition of the country coons. absolutely right on with that one. got a visual!

really poo, my cilantro looks a lot bigger in the pic than they really are. or, maybe since it flopped over? my oregano leaves a bit to be desired.

o

Mine look a lot bigger since they flopped over too!!! ;)
Sorry, GrandmaPoo humor.

Have you tried growning basil? It goes crazy in this climate. If you don't contain it, it will be popping up everywhere! Even in a container, the seeds still spread everywhere. I finally stopped growning it a few yrs ago since I never really used it much.

How's your tadpoles doing? Still there? :)

o

hey, poo! lol... stopping over for a break here. the coons knocked my frog ramp out again, so i left it off- a frogger was on the top rim so i took that as an ok. one that got ahead of me. i had just moved three the night before. i haven't sighted gimpy in a couple of days. there are also some with just one front leg out so i had waited to move those.

i grew cinnamon basil one year. i thought it smelled more like licorice! i would love to grow rosemary- outside.

o

I have two nice size rosemary shrubs in the ground. I bought one plant 3 yrs ago when it was itty bitty. I didn't really know what it would do, but it must have loved my soil. It grew about 2 feet tall and nice and round. Spring 2005, I saw a stray limb laying on the ground, and discovered roots at the bottom, so I cut it and replanted it and now I have 2! It is almost as big as the other now. I love the way they look, almost like a small conifer. Our freezes do not affect it at all.
I love the scent of most herbs and rosemary is probably my least fav, but I do cook with it occasionally.

Well, I'm happy the taddies are morphing right along. :)
Is that common for them to get only one front leg at a time?

o

that is the same reason why i like rosemary poo :)

in my experience, both front legs usually pop out at once. very odd to me and i feared it had something to do with a possible injury from being bladed over. or, if i had done something moving them. but, maybe one is just a little stuck?

a few years ago i had some in the 10 gal aquarium i would watch. it was freaky but cool at the same time. you could tell the front legs were about to "pop" b/c you could see them moving around trying to swim under the skin. they would be on the glass by the next day.

o

Oh wow, seeing the legs move under the skin like that!
I LOVE seeing nature CLOSE up like that too, but haven't experienced a lot of that type lately...like I said, my froggies are mia. :(

Also, I'm fighting with the mosquitoes now over EXACTLY WHOSE garden it is, so I'm distributing mosquito dunks (using the granules). You know, as much rain as we've been having, I think it's making a difference. Now if I could get the neighbor to move all their old tires laying around...gerrrrrrr!!!

o

Grandmapoo, is your rosemary variety 'Arp'? That one seems to still be the one that is most hardy and it was developed for Texas growing conditions.
I haven't seen many mosquitos this season so far. I'm crossing my fingers. Sandy

o

who has a better gig than i do? at work, strolling down the dirt road, which is really just a glorified trail, the drone of a thousand bees feeding on the 4' tall clover, bucket in tow soon to be holding more treefrog tadpoles. :)

(incidently i dispatched the first japanese beetle i have ever seen. one less in the world)

had i not taken monday off i would have had more. i knew it would dry up too soon. and i was called off from my "mission" friday. that, was when i was about to grab a bunch of them that just absorbed their egg sacs, or whatever htey are called. there was hardly any water and i knew it would be gone by today. the water i had i poured into the hole. well, perhaps it is natures way of dispatching them now instead of a worse death? not enough nutrition to make it through the winter since they were so late. hmmmmm.

all your neighbor needs to do in the meantime is put in a drop of dishsoap. wa-la. too bad you didnt have a bunch of dragonfly nymphs. i am wondering where "mine" went. i put off putting it where it really needed to go b/c of the tadpoles. i cna't imagine it crawled out of the slick sided bucket. pickings were getting slim in there. and, no "shell" to say it morphed. hmmmmm. amazing how the coon squad never knocked that bucket over. it is a wonder dh hasn't lost his patience with a bucket and a half barrel liner, plus and unfinished puddle just sitting there.

sandy, wouldnt' perhaps make it to zone 5? pretty please! i LOVE the creeping rosemary over a stone wall!

o

Sat, Jul 8, 06 at 14:18

'Arp' is the one and only rosemary I bought this year! It takes temps down to about -10F, so I think you can grow it, FTM. :D

The flowers were such a beautiful blue. I put it in a big terra cotta pot, and it's just sort of sitting there, not doing much, so I hope next year, it will spring forth with new, magical growth.

We've had many reports of bird infections and death from West Nile this year in our county, as well as surrounding ones. Pookie knows that when I spray the Deep Woods Off! on my person at 5:30am, it's time for our garden stroll. :)

Brenda

o

Sandy, I'm sorry to say I don't remember what kind my rosemary is. But my rosemary has never bloomed. :(

I have a folder with the tags from plants taped onto print paper that I write when I bought it, where I planted it, etc. If I come across it, I'll see if I kept the tag.

Fairy, NO one has a better gig than you do, I think. I never found a place of employment that allowed me to go exploring nature!
So, you're saying put a drop of dishsoap in the old tires?
I could sneak over there and do that! I didn't put the dunks in my pond, but I read a cool link Brenda gave me over in the other forum that this specific bacteria won't kill dragonfly nymphs.
Thanks for the dishsoap tip! :)

o
RE: dunks/bti won't affect nymphs

Fairy, I'm sorry in my prev post, I couldn't remember "bti", so went to "Discussions" and found the thread titled "What's the flicking if it's not mosquito larvae" and copied this statement from Brenda's link:

"BTI is very effective on mosquito larvae and is not harmful to animals. You could put the dunks in troughs and it would not affect mammals. It is very specific to
mosquito larvae, blackflies and water flea. Dragonflies and other
beneficial insects are
not harmed by BTI."

o

very good, poo! just don't put the dishsoap with your critters. i am sure it wouldn't be good. sneak on over but not with that gargantuan flashlight. you might scare the begeezers out of them casting your shadow on the house. all it takes is a drop!

i have the bti drops, but i am not sure if they are as effective????

thanks brenda, i will check it out!

i am blessed with my work place and schedule while i am there. i had a rough week and even a short walk makes a HUGE difference! needless to say, i get very testy around hunting season.

o
what?

6 feet tall brenda?!!!

o

Sun, Jul 9, 06 at 14:42

Wait, what's 6 feet tall?? LOL Was that from the other link? I need to go check, time out.

Nope, it wasn't there. 'Splain to me, Lucy! LOL

Oh, the Bti drops should work great, too, FTM! Glad I could help (Google is my friend :D).

Brenda

o

oops, sorry brenda. the site i found, but didn't post, said your rosemary gets to six feet tall.

o

That sounds like someone got into the giberillic acid.

o

Mon, Jul 10, 06 at 10:56

Yowza! I agree, Sandy. The person who posted that height on FTM's site must be smoking rosemary. :D

My book lists it as getting up to 4 ft., but we shall see.

Brenda

o

i have a frogger on my shed, with a 1/4" tail! :)

i move 3-4 daily to the shallow puddle now. tonight on my check, one was on the wall. then, i go to the barrel liner to move some, go back to the puddle, and wa'la! a second one is near the first, also with a 1/4" tail!

so, do treefrogs instinctively climb vertical surfaces? they would survive the coon squad better that way. my first time i often saw them sitting on the rock edge to be easily eaten.

o

I bet they do instinctively climb upward, Fairy. Maybe the others will follow in the upward direction, too, away from those pesky coons.

Oh, and yesterday, for the first time this summer, I saw a little brigade of tiny toads near the pond. I had loads of tiny tads a few weeks ago, but then they were mia and I thought the snakes ate them. But, they didn't. I'm so happy 'cause I'll get to feed these when they find the back light with all the bugs.

So now, I'm thinking I need to remove the snakes again. I saw a pair last week, one bigger than the other following along, and I just bet they're mating. I hate to think about trying to catch them!

o

poo, the snake wrangler! everytime a toad is "born" i get an extra twinkle in my wand :)

o

Really, it's Poo, the scardy cat!!!
Snakes give me the willies.
Tiny toads give me the sillies. :p

o

you been sniffin' too many herbal blends, poo :)

o

Me tinks me gets a little dizzy when me stoops down & picks one a dem ittle toads up & tweeks dems ittle cheeks. :)

Yesterday I got in the kiddie pool w/Eric and we had sooooo much fun. We also tasted every herb I had growin', but no wacky weed in my patch (as far as I know, anyway!).

o

lol...you could overload on others, right? or, perhaps you are touching too many toads! so, what cheeks are you tweeking? do they have their own swim suits? wedgies? sand caught in the suit seat, snorkels and fins?

yeah, i have lost wayyyyy too much sleep.

o

Nope, all the toadies I tweek are in the raw! 8:o

o

Sun, Jul 16, 06 at 18:04

"do they have their own swim suits? wedgies?"

AWWWWW!! If I hadn't just been sniffing my mints, I'd swear I just drooled.

Here's hoping you get to pick a frog wedgie today!

Brenda

o

know what? when they climb out of the water with just a tiny bit of tail left, they DO look like they have a wedgie riding to one side :)

o
forgot

soem of them are such little pudgers, i want to tweak their cute little round bellies!

o

"they DO look like they have a wedgie riding to one side"

LOL Fairy!!!

o

whooooo-hooooo! what a wonderful surprise. look who i found this morning. if you can see it through the despicable focusing abilities of my camera. s/he is looking quite healthy and has grown a bit. oh, such a cute little pudger...and getting some adult coloration.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

now, if only i knew what seeds sprouted that plant...i threw a lot of different ones down. all the ones that came up look alike. how nice, only one species grew!

o

It's hard to make out, but I think I see a head/face.
Is this plant underwater? Is it a tadpole or a froggie that's climbed out?

Sorry, but I want to see!!!

o

I'm guessing Green Tree frog! Am I close?? PJ

o

a grey tree frog or a copes, i can't tell the difference!

sorry it is so bad but i was so excited! i can't get it to focus any better and i wasn't that close.

poo,he/sh not only crawled out but traveled across to the other side of the yard. hte plant is about a foot tall on the south edge of my veggie garden.

o

I hope it gets plenty of buggies over there in the veggie garden!

Anymore of your children going to morph soon? :)
No more coon visits?

o

hey poo. i havent' seen signs in a few weeks now. hmmmmmm.

i moved a frogger yesterday. but, it is hard to see in there in the daylight. i used to move them at night with a flashlight shining in the water. MUCH easier.

i went out this morning to see if little pudger would still be in the same spot, but no luck. but, here is the mystery plant in the midst of my sprawling borage. (no veggies in the veggie garden, though. but, i am growing straw :)

o

Could that mystery plant be a type of butterfly weed?

o

i wouldn't think so, poo. i didnt seed any of those. it is either stocks or Fried Eggs (Limnanthes douglasii) (maybe??)

whatever it is, little pudger likes it! i found pudger there again today....and quite the little pudger :) there is a funny dark "bubble" looking thing on its back. it worries me, unless that is how their warties look when they first develop. this pic doesn't do the pudginess justice...fulll of ants i suspect.

I HATE THIS CAMERA!!!!!

o

I finally can see the little cutie pie. He's soooooo cute!
Thanks for more pics. :)

o

i received this suggestion at name that plant. what do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: impatiens_balsamina

o

It seems it lacks the serrated edges that yours seem to have. Am I correct on this?

Your plant closely resembles Pentas in the way it grows and shape of leaves, but Pentas do not have serrated edges, either.

I tried doing some research, but I'm stumped! Hope they bloom soon and we'll have more to go on! :)

o

Mon, Jul 24, 06 at 16:05

Actually, I. balsamina's leaf is supposed to have deeply toothed edges, so that might very well be it! If it is, it should bloom any time now. *nail biting excitement*

That frog is adorable, FTM! I want to see his wedgie! LOL

Brenda

o

well it is amazing. if that is what it is those seeds were like 5 years old! and i don't recall putting them over there! i also said i didn't have any b/c what i put down was what i thougt, anyway, spotted touch me not. oh well.

brenda, pudger doesn't have a wedgie anymore! the first shot is a rear shot.

i am still worried about that spot. pudger seems tolike that plant. i talked again this am :)

o

pudger's spot looks much better today! almost gone. that is, if it is pudger...because pudger has a neighor! and they swapped plants (going by the spot). hey, now i know what frog poop looks like!

they were very active this a.m. and moving away from me. otherwise, i would have had a great front pose of pudger sitting up straight looking very alert.

pudger #2 escaped from that maniacal lady to deeper into the plant, so no pic. just imagine pudger on h/her original plant with a turd on the next leaf :)

o

Tue, Jul 25, 06 at 12:48

LMAO!!! There's something about the word "turd" that just sends me over.

Well, speaking of "turd"...kinda, sorta. Guess what I found (and rescued, sans gloves, in case Andrea is reading this) in the toilet this morning? Pudger's long lost cousin, Poopie! Didn't get a pic, but...I don't think we need one. :D

Brenda

o

brenda, you are soooo there when i need you! thanks for sending me over!

o

SmileyCentral.com

o

thats a great one "poo"!

o

Wed, Jul 26, 06 at 15:22

LOL!!! @ 'Poo! That's kinda what I looked like when I found Poopie in the toilet. I was thinking, Oh, WHY did you have to pick THIS spot?! I considered trying to find some latex gloves, but he looked rather "drained". *giggle*

Brenda

o

are you sure you don't want to post a picture of this poopie?

o

Thu, Jul 27, 06 at 11:35

LOL!! Well, I don't want to get banned for posting pics of petite Poopie.

Brenda

o

just claim to be jeff corwin!

o

Sat, Jul 29, 06 at 8:53

LOL!! *licking my fingers*

Love that guy.

Brenda

o

lol brenda!

today's little guy messed with my mind. s/he was a deep mossy green,not that bright kelly green of usual. they must be able to adjust pigment even at this early age. it was sitting on the edge of my black half barrel liner and dove in the water when i walked by. such an adorable thing!

o

Sun, Jul 30, 06 at 9:22

Awww! I've been getting the brownish ones in my watering can. Rather disconcerting when I'm filling it, and next thing I know, there are 2 eyes staring at me over the rim. LOL

The can seemed clogged last week, so I unscrewed the sprinkler part of it. There was little Mr. Water Logged, waiting for rescue. :D

Brenda

o

I'm very happy to report that I'm seeing more of my little toads and I have some bigger tadpoles that aren't toads. I hope they are the green tree frogs. Oh, how I just love them. And I've been seeing two little spring peepers (I think) on my window at night now. :)

o

yaaaay, poo!
lol, brenda!

i am so glad i went to the back door this a.m. there b/t my doors was a wayward treefroglet. the poor baby! you could literally see his bones jutting through under his porr dry skin. i could practically count the vertebrae. well, i dont know how long he was there.

i quickly gave him a dip in the puddle and set him at the plant that pudger used to be on. that should fatten the little one up. if the sun would have hit those doors before i saw him, i am sure it would be bye bye froggie. it gets extremely hot there bt the door and stormdoor, which face south and also gets reflected heat from the pation. oh, had that door not have a window, i probably wouldn't even seen it.

here's hoping the little raisin eats well. he was pretty frisky trying to get away from me so i take that as a good sign.

o

Good rescue, Fairy! LOL @ little raisin!

Today, while mowing, I dodged a little raisin! (That's exactly what these tiny toads look like.) It was jumping so fast to avoid getting chopped up. I saw him just in time and swerved and barely missed him. Then I avoided that patch of grass giving him time to get to safety.

Oh, BTW, I recieved the cilantro seeds! Great packaging, I must say! And loads of seeds.
Thanks soooooooooooooo much!!! :)

Well now, I'm off to do some research on fall cilantro, refrigerating seeds for spring, etc.

o
RE: I love my cilantro seeds!!!

FTM,
Here's what I gathered from my research:

Dry the seeds in a cool dry place.

Plant consecutively every 2 or 3 weeks.

Cilantro CAN be grown as a fall crop, especially in warmer climates!!! WhooooooooHooooooooooo

Now, these seeds seem moist, so how long do they take to dry? Do you know?

o

yaay again, poo!

i think i had air dried my seeds last year for at least a week. i am sure the sprig i put in there saw its better days but the thought, eh? i noticed today that most of my plants are brown so the harvest may continue.

o

I had left the seeds outside to dry before I did my research and just over the day, they are pretty dry.
I brought them inside to dry in the kitchen window where it's cooler. So, I'll leave them to dry anothr week or so.

Great! I'm happy. I can't wait. After planting, I should be tasting and smelling that wonderful aroma in about 3 or 4 weeks! :)

o

Wed, Aug 2, 06 at 13:46

Got back from a visit to my folks' house Sun.-Tues., and I can't beLIEVE how many frogs they have around their house! And no pond, only the pets' drinking water dishes! They were on the house, around pots, in the grass, on plants...everywhere. I tried to get a pic of some all lined up on the squirrels' water dish, but Malone the pug was too quick for me. They all bailed when they saw his big head coming at 'em for a drink. LOL

Brenda

o

These's nothing more precious than a big ole pug mug!
What a cutie! :)

o

look mom, no wrinkles! *except i have to lie back to do that*

o

i found a little frog on the plant yesterday. i am hoping it is the little raisenette. aftera l, if it was pudger, pudger should be much larger and pudgier by now. or, could be another one, but what would be the odds that it isn't raisinette? yaaaaaay, looked quite "healthy."

o

Yep, bet the little raisin has grown. I noticed there has only been 1 of the little ones on my window over the last few nights. It's bigger too and now looks like a green tree frog! Yipeeeeeeee! I haven't seen the snakes around lately either, but I'm sure they are lurking somewhere.

The owl must have gotten a really good laugh 'cause haven't even heard it.

Fairy, how big do toad taddies get before they morph completely? I've got two different size tads in the pond.
I think they are different types (could be the same, but different batches). One is smaller and darker.

o

oops. didn't mean to ignore you poo! toad taddies are tiny when they morph. tadpoles do not get as large as the treefrog ones and are even smaller than the tad when they morph. i'll venture they push maybe 1/4" morphed nto counting the legs. toads will look black under water but actually have some brown. treefrog tads get pretty large if you ask me...but not close in size to say a green frog or bull frog tadpole. lets see for trees..1/2" for body and 1-1/2" for tail (guessing). when they start to morph they also shrink and start to turn green.

now for what i was going to post: i still have little treefrogs morphing. i hope they fatten up enough for winter!

and on pudger's plant this week (which is now four feet tall, a foot taller than they say- the plant that is, not pudger!), a brown preying mantis (small one all of two inches maybe) pics are not the best, as usual! it was upside down, eating a fly...while i watched awhile. slow, like someone enjoying their food.

o

Thanks Fairy. Cool pic of your praying mantis. I saw one on the patio a few nights ago. I know it will hang around. Plenty of buggies.

I think my tads are all morphed and gone from the pond. I really need more green tree frogs. The only little night time froggie left on my window must be a copes grey. It's definately not a green tree frog. I miss them so much!

o

thanks, poo. aaaaw, we don't have green tree frogs. i think they are in southern illinois, though.

o

Wed, Sep 6, 06 at 9:32

Speaking of frogs, I HAD to share a photo that's in this month's National Geographic. Aren't these the cutest little things you've ever seen?

(And I love your pic of the mantis, FTM!)

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: NG Your Shot Selects

o

thanks! i can't believe anyone can even see that mantis throught the fuzz.

that pic is just divine, brenda! you should post it separate so no one misses it. too precious :)

o

Brenda, that is the cutest pic, ever! I'm not sure to believe they are real. They really look plastic, don't they?

Hey Fairy, I just snapped. Isn't that your 'mystery' plant that the mantis is on? Beautiful blooms!

And...I saw my very first green tree frog today!!! It let me pet it! I'll be looking for it tonight at the back light! I'm just a happy Poo. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Ok, I'm ok now. :p

o

Fri, Sep 8, 06 at 9:56

LOL!! Wildlife is fun. Tame wildlife is even more fun!

Hey, I have a brown mantis on one of my Salvias! I almost "deadheaded" him. I have a feeling that he's praying like crazy today. :D

I guess NG just has to take the word of the frog owner that they're not fake. I think the fact that they're gazing out the window makes me want to save them. :)

Brenda

o

Yeah, if they really are real...how sad, what else could they be thinking? Let's see... maybe they're thinking, "Wow, I'm glad we're not out there in the elements, 'cause sunscreen might irritate our smooooooth, flawless skin!" or "Ya know Honey, we're two lucky amphibians, no having to be out there where all those nasty bugs fly around!" Maybe they're even saying, "Gee, I'm glad we're in captivity, 'cause our humans let us have freedom to roam on their window sills. Ya know we might be in luck today 'cause most captive bugs come to the windows also."

Ok, I'm done. :P

o

brenda! rofl! i caught the full implications of deadheading...oh, you ARE GOOOD!

yes, poo. that is said plant. note: it is a foot taller than they say it is supposed to be and still gaining. AAAAAAAAH! wait, i said that already. nice to know i repeat myself in all forms.
congrats on your greenies. note: they may appreciate your hands being wet first sans the chlorine. or, would it disipate off hands fast enough?

o

my dilemma is still a dilemma! we are down to the 40's here. i still hvae a tad just developing the back legs. with the cooler temps, i am afraid there will be no small slow moving insects for it to fatten up on for winter. do they need to fatten up?

should i bring it in the house and try to keep it over winter? i tried that once and broke my heart while "killing" the little late bloomers.

on another note, that darn plant is nearly 5 feet tall! and, i found what experience tells me is racoon fur on my squirrel feeder.

o

Brenda, tame wildlife is not fun. (See my thread on Raccoons.) While I wish to touch occasionally, I fight the urge. I've had too many animals decide I'm either a soft touch or part of the group or their chosen person. I've had oppossum decide to come in and make themselves at home, raccoons that come and scratch at the door or window, deer that try to come inside or follow me around the garden to get treats and chipmunks that zip inside at the first chance. We've even had young squirrels climb up on us. Worse, pets sometimes desert their owners to come stay with us even though we don't encourage it. I've had a neighbor yell at me because her daughter's cat kept coming to our house. The chippers liked to steal my jewelry. The deer brought the ticks that gave me lime disease and tried to make our yard their winter home. The raccoons dance and play tag on my roof. I think they are nesting under the bathroom crawl space. I had to turn the hose on them to discourage them.
The dictum that we change whatever we observe is true. Just try not to get involved. Sandy

o

sandy, perhaps you should become an animal communicator? or is that stuff just poopoo. (i amnot making light, btw)

o

Wed, Sep 20, 06 at 11:29

I think she already is one, FTM! And she didn't even have to sign up or take classes! :D

I totally agree with you about tame wild animals, Sandy. It's a dream that won't (and shouldn't) come true for us animal lovers. As much as I'd love to be Dr. Doolittle (or Dr. Sandy Doolittle...deer following you, oh, my!!), I know it's just too dangerous...for us AND them.

FTM, I'm not sure about your little toad! I hope someone can help you out with that.

Brenda

o

for baby pics, see "ftm, its your birthday" :)

o

new pics of the little pudgers!

don't you just want to poke that belly and tickle those toes!!!! that is a foot sticking up on the left, just hanging (all blurry)

1-2-1-2-1-2

exercise program complete for today:

yes, you may have noticed the pudgers have a minimalist philosophy when it comes to decor (until they get bigger). their "tree" is in the back out of sight. if i had a miniature tv, there would be one. this little frog is quite the couch potato. the other one is active all over the place and would like roller blades for christmas.

o

Mon, Nov 20, 06 at 10:57

I feel so terrible, because I can't see the little guy, FTM! Picture me with my face pressed up against the monitor, trying to find him, like one would look for those images in optical illusion books. LOL

I'm going to enlist the aid of the ever-helpful DH when he gets home from work. I'm determined to see it! :D

Brenda

o

it isn't you , brenda. its my camera! say the word, and i will use paint prgm to circle. hint: look for the green. funny how "rocket" is still green. the other one turned to the brown coloration within the first week. although, it gets more green when in the "tree."

o

Brenda, on the right, the little guy is dangling from the stem of the leaf, right next to that circular thing that looks like a dish of oatmeal. Fairy, he's soooooo cute! Doing push-ups?

The reason I spotted him is that I don't have my glasses on yet, and therefore I see everything blurry. So your pictures look perfectly normal to me... heehee

:) Mary

o

Tue, Nov 21, 06 at 10:02

I totally forgot to ask DH for help last night, but SO WHAT! Mary, you give great directions! Sheesh, I can't believe I missed that. He is so pwethuth, FTM!! I was looking for something a LOT bigger (at the leaf he's dangling off of, actually..it has eyes!). LOL

Next time, I'm going to try without my glasses. :D

Brenda

o

lol! i just wish i had a better pic so the belly shot could be fully appreciated! move over, pilsbury. i didnt' realize how well they were eating. although, this one will eat 3 crickets right after the other and i dont' even know how there could be room!

guess you were expecting a larger frog, eh, brenda? :)

pretty close on the dish, mary. baby cereal for the crickets to feed on.

o
oh yeAH

i could be real ornery and post a pic of the other one on the leaf! :)

i can't even see h/her right under my nose from the blending greys and browns.

o

Wed, Nov 22, 06 at 9:27

LOL! Come on, be ornery! Once I found the little froggie, I realized that your pic wasn't THAT blurry, FTM. It was my sense of size (things may appear larger than they are) that had me thinking the leaf-with-eyes was the mack daddy frog. :D

It's great to hear they love crickets, since I moved some pots the other day, and found a multitude of them, large and small. The frogs have been singing their hearts out all over the yard, and I know they come up to where the crickets were, since that's where my watering can is. :D

I love yummy tummies!

Brenda

o

challenge accepted! first, i have to figure out how to get a cam underneath the leaf :)

glad to hear you can stll enjoy frogs outdoors in november!

o

well, the other one has changed back to green! oh well.

o

Fri, Dec 1, 06 at 9:31

Green is good, though. Looks less like a little poopie. :D

Brenda

o

funny you should mention that. one day it was tucked into the corner rim of my aquarium. i thought it looked like a little turd.

but, even when brown, there are so many interesting changing patterns adn color combinations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here