Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleeplessinftwayne

Accidents

sleeplessinftwayne
16 years ago

I don't usually have car accidents so I wonder why something odd is in the mix when I do have one. Once my car was struck by a 6 foot section of I-beam that fell from a truck hauling scrap metal and once a car turned in front of me on glare ice during a blizzard. This time I found myself looking at the light on top of a patrol car. It seems we were both trying to make a turn in the same intersection. Thank goodness no one was injured but while I could drive my car home, I think the patrol car is totaled. No air bags popped, there was no broken glass and I don't think either of us was even bruised although the plastic pots containing the plants I just purchased broke (all the same way). I'm glad they were in boxes so I don't have to deal with loose potting soil.

So many odd things occurred to cause this accident I wonder what odd things you remember about accidents you were in.

I am pretty sure I had the light but the officer said he had the lights and siren going. I didn't hear a siren but then I had the windows closed and the radio was going and the sun was so bright the light bar didn't show up much. In addition to the normal things you normally do at a turn signal I was checking for the car on my right that had been drifting into my lane and that may have been the extra element.

Augggh!!! I T-boned a police car!!!! Sandy

Comments (11)

• sheepco
    16 years ago

I'm so glad you weren't hurt Sandy! And you didn't even have to wait around for the police to show up, though I suppose the bad guy he had his lights and siren on for got away :0)

When I was sixteen and just a newbie driver I pulled in to park curbside in front of my friends car. I mis-judged it and ended up putting a nice crease 1/2 way down the side of the car. Didn't hurt the bumper of the other car a bit. Went home to confess to my folks, and they wouldn't believe me, it was April 1st and they thought it was a big joke! When I finally convinced them it wasn't a joke they felt so bad about not believing me they weren't even mad about the car!

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

glad you are alright, sandy! what odd experiences you have.

• youreit
    16 years ago

Cripes! Of all the cars you could have hit, Sandy! Just your luck, huh? LOL I'm SO glad you weren't injured, though!

I've seen studies where they checked the memories of people who witnessed something traumatic, and surprisingly, the human memory isn't that great at recalling details.

Since my one auto accident (thank GOD) years ago, I've definitely questioned the events I recalled that day. I could have sworn there was a car braking suddenly in front of me, which led me to slam on the brakes.

According to witnesses, my top-heavy Suzuki Samurai (death trap on wheels) tipped up on 2 wheels (Dukes of Hazzard, YEEHAW! LOL) and veered into oncoming traffic. I think the other lady's ankle was broken at impact, and I had a slight concussion....and I wasn't wearing my seat belt. *gulp*

No one else remembered the orange vehicle that was supposedly in front of me, though. Always has bothered me. I'm sure if it was a cop, he would have made sure his story was the correct one, though. ;)

Brenda

• scottspond
    16 years ago

So, Sandy, what's next? The president's limo? lol

Scott

• semper_fi
    16 years ago

GEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! WOMEN DRIVERS!!!

At ease XX Chromosomers....Just kidding! :-)))

Sandy, glad you both walked away unharmed. A car can certainly be repaired/replaced. This jolt didn't bother your back surgery???

• sheepco
    16 years ago

This has nothing to do with semper's comment (thank you for the pause), or anything, but...

For the past 2 months there's been this trailer parked on a residential section of main street Cyrus (pop. 353). Main Street is also Hwy 28, a major highway. Well, this trailer is kinda wide, and this jerk (XY no doubt;) can't park very straight, so the trailer sorta stuck out into the road a wee bit.

Drove thru town a couple days ago on the way home and golly gee... someone hit that sucker! Mushed the trailer, the pick up parked in front of it, and the camper sitting in the driveway got it too when the trailer spun around.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer trailer IMHO... Unfortunately the heap of twisted iron will probably sit there for another month, but at least it's not jutting out in the middle of the road.

...:0)Teehee, that's as close to road rage as we get here...unless you count 3 cars backed up so you can't make a left at one of the only 2 traffic lights in Morris!

:0) Sarah

• jeanner
    16 years ago

Ouch Sandy, I hope you are okay. As they say, accidents happen anf that's what insurance is for. I'm guessing you will hear that sound of impact for a long time to come though.

My husband got a new truck last fall - well not new, but new to him. About two months ago someone hit him in a parking lot, didn't crease the metal but left some pretty bad scratches. A few weeks later, he swerved to miss a deer and ended up in the ditch. We have very narrow shoulders (less than a foot in some places) and it was wet (that was when we actually got rain!) so his back end slid into a very deep ditch. They had a heck of a time getting it out without flipping it over. Unbelievably, the only repair was an alignment and some more scratches (on the same side as the previous damage). Two weeks ago, he was within a 100 feet of our driveway when a farm implement (I believe it was a planter) came careening around the curve. He pulled all the way over to the guardrail but the guy had not raised the arms all the way and dragged the discs all the way down the side of his car (the OTHER side from the other damage). The entire side, from bumper to bumper has to be replaced - there are actual cuts in the metal. I think it's an omen and he needs to get rid of that truck!

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    16 years ago

At least other people have odd things happen, too. I appreciate your only minor leg-pulling. A friend used to tell me it wasn't that the things that happened were odd, it was the way I looked at it that made it odd. I still fail to see how I could have looked differently at a 6 foot I-beam that hit my front wheel as if it had been aimed or why three big truck drivers would think that just because I got out of the car and started kicking the back tire I might take it into my head to go after the driver of the other car. At the time I was a size six and wore the highest heels I could so people would stop patting me on the head and I had looked to see if the guy was all right before I started kicking my own car. Maybe it was my red hair.
    But back to this accident. Mark, I think the adrenaline rush I got was enough to numb any pain signals from the back. I didn't even think about it until much later and I still don't feel anything particularly uncomfortable.
    Writing things down does make things clearer though. It just occurred to me the reason I didn't see the squad car coming is because it was coming from the one direction I would not have expected it to come. Even if the turn signal had changed before I started my turn the traffic signal would have been for the north and south lanes rather than the west to east lanes and he was coming from the west and I wasn't even out into the intersection yet. Hallelujah! I don't know what the incident report is going to say but now I know I didn't cause the wreck by some sort of stupidity. It really was an accident! Thank you, thank you! Sandy

• grandmapoo
    16 years ago

Sandy, thank goodness the plant pots were the only thing broken!

The only auto accident I've ever been in, I was the passenger and 6 mos. pregnant. We stopped at a 4 way stop (no other cars in sight), then proceeded into the intersection, when suddenly I saw a speeding car about to cream us on my side. It was all slow motion, I acknowledged the car was going to hit us, I heard myself scream, everything else was silent. I don't remember the sound of the impact, no skidding of breaks, just my head slamming into my window. The next thing I remember, I was sitting in a funeral parlor (located at the intersection) and two ladies were trying to get me to drink some water out of a paper cup! lol The whole senerio was so strange I've thought about it all my life. The guy said his brakes failed, so he hit us at about 45 mph. Either, we survived with absolutely no injuries, or we are now living in some alternate reality. (Twilight Zone music)

The really odd thing is that after my son was born, when he was about 8 mos old, we were watching a tv show. During a scene of a wreck, with screaming and the loud sounds of colliding metal, all of sudden, my son screamed and bolted into my lap and just clung on to me, hysterical. Really strange.

• chickadeedeedee
    16 years ago

Oh Sandy! Good that you were not hurt! You are a beloved member of this forum and it is important that you stay safe and well!

BTW, thank you so much for the lovely e mail. You are very kind!

C3D :-)

• semper_fi
    16 years ago

"...and I still don't feel anything particularly uncomfortable. "

OUTSTANDING! That really IS amazing considering the work you had done not all that long ago.

LOL Poo3! Fer sure, I would've thought I had died and gone to heaven had I woken up with two ladies trying to make me drink!!! :-)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County