Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tale of a koi found on a rock

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 20, 10 at 10:19

Spouse has a rock ledge sticking out about nine inches above the water level. She goes out and found what appears to be a dead koi on this rock ledge. The fish was only about four inches, length less than half the distance to the ledge, and she wonders how it got there. She calls me to come look at this confusing situation. We muse over it for a bit and I pick it up. It feels stiff.

Having grown up on a remote farm and having worked in a research lab, out of curiosity I decide to do a necropsy. I see no evidence that it has been handled by some rare critter. I start to push tip of some sharp scissors into the belly of the fish and I feel a reflex. I hold it under water and a gill moves a bit.

So we put it in a container of pond water and two hours later it is swimming around normally. Another two hours and she releases it back into the pond. It appears to be OK twelve hours later.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tale of a koi found on a rock

That is amazing!! Glad it survived not only being out of water but getting stuck in the belly with scissors!!

o

Succumb to a fungus, actually I euthanized it because of a fungus, on the side that had been exposed to the sun. Tough little male with an enlarged gall bladder.

o

Albert, Fish that jump out of the water often die later, even after being revived, from massive gram negative bacterial infections. Such bacteria are common in the dirt.

o

Awww... that is sad and I am so sorry that happened. I have a Koi that spent a few weeks in the dead of winter at the top of the water with the top of her body exposed to 10 degree temps.

In the spring she had a huge wound that resembled a burn. The tissue sloughed off, and the fungus appeared. It turned green with algae. Eventually she made a full recovery which is amazing. I think sometimes that when a fish is very sick or injured that providing a supportive environment of clean water, and good nutrition may work. The percentages are slim but I would just like to point out that it is possible. I am not saying that Albert was wrong at all. It takes courage to end the suffering of a wounded fish and I am sure with his knowledge that he did what needed to be done. But just wanted to share my story too.

Regards,
Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here