Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have a confession..........

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 07 at 12:56

Forgive me father for I have sinned........ (doesn't it go like that?)
I was checking out my stocktank watergardens this morning, and there were a couple japanese beetles struggling to get out of the water. I just walked away.
I did feel a little twinge......but I just kept walking and didn't look back..........

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have a confession..........

Heehee (evil grin)...

When I find Japanese beetle grubs in the ground, I toss them in the pond... The fishies like them for protein snacks... heehee...

:) Mary

o

Wouldn't it be great if japanese beetles would devour the japanese honeysuckle???

o

No need to feel guilty, if God would have meant for them to swim, they would. Part of the natural selection process.

And if mary didn't feed those grubs to her starving fish, well...

ah. jeanner...if only it were a perfect world...

o

LOL! I've often said that about the 2 jeanner!
I'm not sure I could ID at jap beetle grub. I find grubs, but I don't know what they are. Are there any good grubs?
As far as japanese things.........it seems like we must have an eco system very similar to their's, since their stuff seems to get invasive over here.....but we don't have the other part of their ecosystem that seems to keep things in check over there. I wonder if stuff from the U.S. gets invasive over there?
I'm finding more and more jap beetles every day. Bummer.
They totally skeletenize my Linden tree every year, but it keeps coming back.
If man hadn't happened onto the earth, do you think there would still be certain things that take over or get out of control?

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 19, 07 at 11:55

Ugh, I can't even imagine how awful those beetles must be! My mom has been battling grasshoppers, which seem like evil incarnate, but the worst I've had to deal with are gophers and slugs. :(

As to your last question, Catherine, I'm thinking not, since natural selection ("nature's way", "nature's balance") seems to take care of itself if left to its own defenses.

Like wildfires. They're just now realizing that fires are necessary to balance out the ecosystem, so they either let them burn or start them in areas that are very overgrown. Of course, guess who gets the way? :\

Brenda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here