Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickadeedeedee

Your Birdy High Point So Far This Year?

chickadeedeedee
16 years ago

It is hot and humid here at Camp Nappy today and as I look out at the feeders my little Chickadeedeedee XX brain cell starts to wander. Good thing we have a fenced in yard, eh?

So many bird incidents so far this year. The Cardinal. The five Chimney Swifts in the kitchen, the Carolina Wrens, Olive the parrot, Claudia the Robin and sooooo many more moments. Hmmmmm...... What would be the highlight for me with the birdies?

It is almost like asking which of your children is the favorite isn't it? But if I were to choose one......

I do love my little House Wrens (Troglodytes aedon). About fifteen years ago our first nesting of House Wrens was tragic. I still remember it was July 4th and the temperature was a record breaking 104F. In the late afternoon the young wrens started popping out of their nest box. I think it just became too hot for them and they were not quite ready to fledge. One by one the came out and one by one the Grackles grabbed them and flew off with the young wrens.

I looked on in horror. All this happened within the span of a minute. I started yelling at the Grackles and tried to chase them away. I managed to pick up one little wren and placed him back in his nest box. Out he came again and was grabbed by another bold Grackle. I was so upset! Another little wren came out, the eighth and last, and fluttered to the grass.

Oh no! YOU are NOT going to become a late afternoon snack for the Grackles! I brought him inside. He was soooooo tiny! I fed him with the baby cereal mix we use for such birds. He was a most unique individual. I had him in a shallow tray with a heating pad under and over about half of it so he could move in and out depending if he wanted to get warmer or not. He would burrow under the towels and when I'd come in the room and ask where he was out he'd run from beneath the towels and happily greet me.

After getting fed and cuddled and played with I'd place him back in his tray and he'd bury himself in the towels again. He acted more like a mouse or ferret. Certainly I never met a bird of any kind that behaved like he did! I don't know why but he never flew either. There were no fractures or dislocations to his wings. He never showed the slightest interest in even trying to exercise his wings or flutter. Taking him outside he would run as fast as his little legs could carry him as he followed us on the patio or in the flower beds and grass.

As he got older he would sometimes sleep on top of the towels ... belly down ... legs outstretched behind him and both wings fully extended too! What kind of sleeping position is that for a bird?!?!?

At the age of 4 months he had two seizures and he died. I wonder if he had brain damage due to the excessive heat in the nest box. A heat stroke survivor perhaps?

Oh but he was the most precious little bird to have met on a one to one personal basis. He and my little Black-capped Chickadee will forever hold a special place in my heart.

So all this rambling down memory lane brings me to the highlight for me so far. In the nest box in the tri-coloured beech is a family of House Wrens. Papa Wren sings so beautifully and is ever watchful that no one or nothing gets too close. His happy cheery song turns to an annoyed chattering if you get too near his home.

He approaches his home with a beak-full of insects. If Mrs. Wren is inside he gives her the insects and it is up to her to feed the chicks. If she too is out "shopping" for insects, Mr. Wren gives the chicks their fill. (Or at least he tries.) The first nest of chicks have fledged and Mrs. Wren is sitting on a new clutch.

The House Wren will make "dummy nests" in available nest boxes too. He guards the nest he has built but there are no eggs inside. Perhaps a way to decrease competition for his family? The House Wrens are not very shy. Certainly not as pushy as the Hummingbirds who will swoop down on you if they feel you deserve it. LOL!

No picture but may I share his song?

http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/songlist.html

The House Wren is about in the center of the list.

Sorry. I didn't mean to make this an epic novel.

I'd love to hear of your highlight bird,or animal, be it in the garden, on vacation, a chance sighting or a visitor. Something tells me there may be even better news and bird experiences just around the corner! :-)

C3D

Comments (95)

• jeanner
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh I love that squeaky sound! Brenda, what kind of hummers do you get? I am always so jealous of the Californians on the some of the birding sites and all of the great hummers they get. I really need to take some time and get pictures of the hummers soon, the males will be leaving soon :^(

Okay, I'm trying to figure out what's with the grosbeaks this year. I had another grosbeak today, a different one from last week. It is way too early for migrants here so now I am wondering if I had some nesting closeby, which would be rare but not impossible (they usually nest further north than me). I had a really late migrant this summer on June 25th but pictures revealed (and C3D confirmed) that he had a badly damaged beak. I never saw the bird again, I assumed he was late migrating due to the beak injury.

Here is the bird I saw in June with the damaged beak (a male in breeding plumage)..

{{gwi:169739}}
    {{gwi:169740}}

Here is the bird I saw last week(either a juvenile or a male in non-breeding plumage) ...
    {{gwi:169720}}

Here is the bird I saw today (another juvie or male in non-breeding plumage). I don't think it is the same bird as last week and seeing the scars (?) on the beak I am wondering if it is the same bird that I saw in June and that he survived and found a mate. I have not seen any females yet but they aren't daily visitors so maybe I've just missed her.

{{gwi:169741}}
    {{gwi:169743}}

So what do you think, do you think the June bird and this weeks bird are the same?

• youreit
    16 years ago

Since I'm FAR from being an expert, it's so hard for me to tell, Jean. This week's bird looks like he has a smaller beak than the June bird's, but...I just don't know! It just blows my mind how they can change colors so drastically! Beautiful birds.

I know I've seen Anna's and black-chinned hummers, but I'm not positive on any other sightings. It's nice when they can take the time to perch in the sun, but lately, they don't perch very long! LOL I love those squeaks, too! They're just so naughty. :D

Brenda

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oooooooo! Mr. Grosbeak. I dunno for sure, Jean. Like Brandy stated, the beak size does look different between the two birds. Mike doesn't think it is the same bird. Me? I vote a definite maybe.

That second photograph of the juv. / non breeding bird looks like there is a defect in the upper part of the beak about half way to a third of the way from the tip. Hmmmm. That *may* be the beak injury a few months down the road as it grows out and the beak heals. That would be awesome if it was Mr. Grosbeak doing well after his injury. Didn't even need dental acrylic. LOL! :-)

We have the squeaky Ruby throated Hummers. We counted 12 this afternoon. Then were interrupted by the arrival of this guy.

{{gwi:169745}}

Is this a Cooper's?

• jeanner
    16 years ago

I sure hope he did recover and was able to breed, that would be awesome. The local experts say that I have a nesting pair close by as it is too early for the migrants especially since there were two different birds seen within a week and no other migrants have been reported in the area. And since it appears it was a recent injury in the June bird, he would have been gone for at least a month prior to the injury if he was migrating. Apparently the breeding bird survey recorded 10 pairs of breeding grosbeak pairs, up from previous years. The grosbeaks breeded here more frequently in the 30's but showed a decline in the 60's and just in the last 10 years are showing a slow return to the area. So maybe they will return next year too!

My hummers are increasing daily. One of my feeders has sprung a leak and my husband is trying to fix it as I type, I told him it only has to hold for a month and most of them will be gone.

I'm voting immature coopers hawk. The sharp-shinned and coopers are tough to distinquish. My vote is based on the thicker legs, the rounded tail and the streaking. Also, the sharp-shinned has a higher chest while the coopers is more barrel-chested. But I'm no expert!

Here is a coopers on the left and a sharp-shinned on the right.

{{gwi:169746}}{{gwi:169747}}

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the ID Jean. I'm horrible at raptor IDs ... all their colour and maturity phases! At least they who who's who. LOL! He looks very superior doesn't he?

{{gwi:169748}}

Your Grosbeak? Does their beak change colour too with the change of breeding status or maturity? Mr. Grosbeak had a lighter area centrally on his beak. The other one you have that may be him with a healing beak has a totally dark one.

• jeanner
    16 years ago

Great pictures of the coopers hawk C3D, you caught him ready to pounce! Like you, I prefer the songbirds but there is something about the intensity of the birds of prey that really holds my attention.

I believe the grosbeaks' beaks turn dark as part of the molting process to their non-breeding plumage. All of the pictures from the spring show light colored beaks and the pictures of the fall show dark beaks (for both sexes). I've not found any written works to confirm that though. I believe that third picture is a juvie and they may develop the dark bills after their first year.

I attempted to get some pictures today of the hummers, and really wanted one of a male with his bright red throat but wouldn't you know I seem to only have females and juveniles. Which means they will be following the males in migration soon. But I had lots of females and younguns to watch!

Here is what my feeders look like right now ... EMPTY!

{{gwi:169724}}
    {{gwi:169726}}

This little guy is trying so hard to be a man!
    {{gwi:169728}}

This hummer picked this branch as his guard point and left only to get a snack and chase the others away.

{{gwi:169729}}

Exciting news! The warblers are on the move, I had a black-n-white on Friday and a tennessee and northern parula on Saturday. No warblers today but I am 90% positive that I had a red-breasted nuthatch. Spent all day watching for him to return to confirm it but never say it again. It is at least a month early for both the parula and the nuthatch, makes me think the normal migration schedule is not going to be normal this year. So keep an eye out for those quick little buggers!

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

Chickadee, I just love your beautiful and majestic hawk. DONT LET HIM GET MR.CARDINAL!!!! LOL... Not that you could do anything about it but a wild whooping dance and flap your arms like crazy. BUT that may draw attention from the white coats. They always start sneaking around when i do the wild whooping dance, so just be on the look out just in case. Beautiful picture though with the mimosa leaves in back of him. Im glad he didn't fly down and get you, he looks sooooo close! You really need to pat yourself on the back for that photo, really stunning.

Jean! I have never had that many hummers on my feeder! I am soooo envious of you. I would just pass out if i looked out and saw that many on one feeder. I was really happy about the three or four fighting it out here but WOW you really have hummers! I loved,loved,loved your little man with three red feathers. How darling is that! I just love ALL your photos they are so wonderful and beautiful. Even the bug ones and im really scared of bugs :-0 I really need to get a decent camera so i can share too because i always feel so happy when i get to see pics. Thanks for sharing your darlings with us :-) Bonnie

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Jean! Those are *lovely* photographs! We have had the Warblers and a few guests (other than Swifts) passing through as well. Those darn Warblers are soooo tiny! I know they're out there high in the weeping willows but not close enough to photograph. Oh well.

Could ~my~ hawk be an innature Goshawk? Those feet seem very heavy... But then I don't see the white eyebrow that the Goshawk has unless that is only on the mature ones.

Hi Bonnie. We saw Mr. Cardinal Saturday *after* the hawk left and again several times filling up and having a chat at the feeders on Sunday.

That was my first and probably only decent hawk picture. LOL! He flew in and perched and the sparrows went wild with their alarm calls. I went to see why they were so upset. The hawk looked down at me, figured I was not digestable and kept his focus on the cedar where the sparrows were hiding. I asked the hawk to please wait until I came back outside with the camera. OMG! He did! :-)

• youreit
    16 years ago

How come that doesn't surprise me, Chicka? LOL I'm telling you, animals love you!! That hawk is incredible! Your pic is so close and clear, I agree with Bonnie! I couldn't get close to the one who landed in the walnut tree near the pond (was that last year? I can't remember!), so it was very hard to tell what kind it was. Plus the light was from behind him, which made it even worse.

Awwww, what awesome hummers, Jean!! I love it when you start reporting on bird migrations/sightings, because that means it's time for me to keep my eyes peeled for new winged darlings in my yard, too. If I only had some good all-around bird cammo so I could sneak up and take some pics! LOL

Brenda

• maryo_nh
    16 years ago

Chicka, she doesn't have the white eye stripe of the goshawk. I was thinking, she SITS like a harrier, and the female is brown enough... And they also have the brown cheeks.
    Did you get an idea of the size of the bird? Compared to, say, a crow? According to my book, a goshawk is a little larger, a harrier about the same, a Cooper's a bit smaller, and a sharp-shinned quite a bit smaller.
    You can tell a harrier also when it flies, it holds its wings up at an angle a bit, like a turkey vulture.

I love bird puzzles!

I see a bird of prey, just like yours, every year, twice, but never QUITE long enough and close enough to see which of the four it is...

:) Mary

• koijoyii
    16 years ago

C3D:

I had a hawk at my pond last year and he flew before I could get his pic. Just love yours.

Oh Jeanner you just made my day with your hummer pictures. There isn't anything I wouldn't do for these little sprites. I have three feeders that they have been fighting over. I had two in the back and one on the side of the house. I ended up putting one in the front and the most I have seen is two at a time. I have hummer wars going on in my backyard. This is only my second year in the house and the second year for hummers. I don't know if they are migrating already, but I have never seen so many flying around my backyard at one time. They actually collide in mid air and fall to the ground fighting over the feeders.

I was kneeling on my couch three weeks ago opening my curtains before I left for work (to watch my hummers.) I was still knee walking backward off the couch when I banged my heel on the corner of the coffee table. I thought I aggravated my heel spur so I continued walking on it for two weeks before I went to the podiatrist for a cortisone shot. He x-rayed my foot only to discover I fractured my heel. I have been off my feet for two weeks now. Out of sheer boredom I managed to hobble out to the swing by the pond to be greeted by two Anna's hummers that kept trying to stick their beaks in my ears. They were young'uns and must have thought my ears were feeders. lol Heaven forbid I try to clean and refill the feeders. I almost had one follow me into the house. It was hoovering outside the door till I brought the feeder back out. I could barely get it hung up before it was on it. Really got a scolding too. I hate it when they leave for the winter. They are my little acrobats.

Jenny

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL Brenda! ...I'm telling you, animals love you!!... It is all an illusion. For example, about 8 years ago was our Year of the Robin. We hand raised about 7 chicks and rescued / rehabbed 3 adults that had run into vehicles. At one time I had two chicks from the same nest, hand raised them and all that good stuff and they were released. A couple of days later I went to the neighbour's house and was chatting with them while they had their garage sale.

Ooooo. A Robin in the tree at the end of the drive!

I could see it was a young robin and walked up to her and talked nice to the bird like "How are you doing Sweetheart?"

The Robin recognized me as the person who had hand raised her and she flew down and sat on my shoulder as I scratched her head. Another Robin, her sibling, was near and saw that I was around and soon I had two robins perched on me as I spoke softly to them.

The neighbour was amazed! She screamed for her husband, "BOB! Come here! Look at this! C3D talks to the birds and they come out of the trees! OMG! ..."

LOL! I *never* told her I had hand raised them and just released them both! LOL! ~~~> I'm such a sneak! :-)

Hi Mary. I love birdy puzzles too and with me that usually involves the hawks! The bird was ~easily~ larger than a crow. Maybe a Cooper's on steroids? When the hawk flew off it was soooo quick I could not tell if the wings were held at an angle or not. The bird just took off and went low between the trees, over the fence and was g-o-n-e!

Ohhhh Jenny! OUCH!!! I had a stress fracture in my heel. It aint any fun! Hope you feel better very soon!!! LOL @ you demanding hummers. They are pushy aren't they? I'm used to getting scolded by the black capped chickadees and nuthatch but when something even tinier can boss me around I just need to laugh! :-)

Did you visit the garden center in N. Ridgeville and get some pond plants? Pandy's in Elyria by Midway Mall has lots of pond and bog plants at 70% off now. Mike bought a bunch of stuff but the dogs, uhhhh, pruned most of them, shall we say?

• jeanner
    16 years ago

Definitely could be a goshawk (not that I've ever seen one, they stay north of here).

This is what BNA (Cornell/Audobon website) says ...

"Juvenile Goshawk differs from juvenile Coopers Hawk in having more conspicuous pale superciliary line, more heavily streaked belly-, underwing-, and undertail-coverts, slightly wedge-shaped tail, and tawny bar across upperwing. Subtle pattern of fine white lines outline dark bands on upperside of juvenile Goshawks tail, which, when spread, shows staggered dark bars in zigzag pattern rather than even banding of juvenile Coopers Hawk. ....

Clearly larger than Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus); in flight, head protrudes more on Goshawk, and tail broader and more rounded at tip. Male Goshawk may appear similar in size to female Coopers Hawk (Accipiter cooperi), although note differing wing and tail proportions (relatively broad wings and relatively short tail) "

According to Sibleys, the goshawk is 21" and 2.1 lbs, the Coopers hawk is 16.5 inches and weighs 1 lb, the crow is 17.5 inches and 1 lb. Any idea how thick the branch is that he is sitting on?

There is a forum for the Ohio Ornitilogical society, you could post your pictures there, I'm sure someone there can give you a definitive answer - it would be fun to know what it is! And even up your way I believe a goshawk sighting is pretty rare, I'm sure they would like to hear about it! Link is below .... if you prefer I can post for you.

I've never had this many hummers - I really do think they have started migrating and having a hard time finding food. So watch out Bonnie, next stop is your house!

Jenny, OMG, you have Annas???? Have you reported that to your local Audobon or the OOS??? It is SO rare to have them in Ohio! Of course, if you do report them you will have people asking to come see them. There was a family in Central Ohio that reported a Harris sparrow last winter, they had over 400 people come visit. It was an Amish family and they welcomed everyone, even had a guest book to sign. People were coming from all over Ohio to see it and bringing them thank-you gifts and cards for their hospitality. I am sorry to hear about your ankle, hope it heals soon, I've heard that is very painful. Maybe you can get those Anns visitors to do a little weeding for you while they are there!

Ahhh C3D, I can just imagine you talking to the robins and giving them a kiss on the head. But LOL at the neighbors .... I don't think I would tell either!

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fantastic information Jean. Thanks so much! Would you please be so kind as to ask the other forum who is this hawk? I *really* don't want to start up with posting at another forum but if they'd want additional information .... Thanks!

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

Chickadeedeedee you sweet thang! Charming the robins out of the tree like that for your neighbors :-)I bet they still talk about it to this day!HeeHee.... Their very own Snow White talking the animals out of the trees. I know thats why you keep getting so many swifts. They are repeat offenders wanting another kiss from Snow White :-)

Jean, i think you are right about them starting migration or either they had a huge bumper crop of babies this year because they are fighting like crazy already at my house! If we get a whole lot more i may need a helmet to sit on the porch. LOL...I had two today get into it and they circled each other and squeaked and flared their little tails just like they were dueling. Bobbing up and down like a carousel the whole time. While they were so busy with each other a couple of smaller ones sneaked in for a little drink. Such tiny tiny little beings with such BIG personality. Just love them so much ,even if they do poke my eye out ;) Bonnie

• youreit
    16 years ago

Chicka, that was a GREAT story!!! LOL!!! I'd love to play that trick on the neighbors, but....I don't want any birdies to have to be rescued because of it. :D

Jenny, I REALLY enjoyed your stories about the hummers and your ears, etc.! When they're going crazy out at my feeder, I sometimes like to live dangerously by standing right in front of it. What a rush to feel the wind as they fly inches from my head! But then I get scared and run inside. LOL

I sure hope your heel heals (hehe) before you know it, and you're back to walking normally soon! :)

Brenda

• jeanner
    16 years ago

My hummer troop seems to have left as suddenly as they came. Only 5 today and one is a male! I don't know what brought them and what made them leave but I sure enjoyed being host for those little beauties.

C3D - so far just one response to my id question but the responder is a well versed birder so there may be no contenders. He says cooper's hawk. You can read his response here ....

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you SO much, Jean! That's great! WoooHooo! I made a correct ID of a Hawk once! I've never seen a Goshawk but then again, maybe I did but didn't know it. I'm more familiar with the Cooper's and Red-tailed guys.

I hope the Hummers don't get pummeled by any more tropical storm or hurricane remnants. They had a tough go of it in the spring.

Thanks again! :-)

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

See Chickadee, he said great pics too! You did good. I didn't even know half of what he said but i sure do believe him because he really sounded like he knew his stuff.
    Way to go Brenda!!!! :-)
    Bonnie

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again Jean! I guess there's no need for the rest of the forum to debate the identification of the young Cooper's. :-)

Hi Bonnie. Thanks. I bet he does know his stuff. Those Raptors are tough ones to ID. Glad we have Jean here!

Here's yesterdays high point:

{{gwi:169749}}

Turkey Vultures! Started out by sighting nine perched on the barn while I was going to work. I *had to* turn around to get a photo. By the time I got back some were leaving. Then one by one they were taking flight.

I saw our Mr. Cardinal this morning too! WooooHoooo!

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

* LOVE * Mr. Cardinal !!!! Go big red :-)

Next year might be the year of the Turkey Vulture for Camp Nappy. See they are already showing up. THEY KNOW ITS THEIR TIME.....

• youreit
    16 years ago

LOL!!! @ Bonnie! That's sounds ominous. I bet you keep some big, shoulder-length gloves around, though, right, Chicka? For Turkey Vulture year. :D

Awesome picture!! And congrats on your Cooper ID and sighting, too! I LOVE that barn! Very countrified and handsome. :)

Brenda

• jeanner
    16 years ago

LOL at the "the year of the Turkey Vulture for Camp Nappy" .... I would imagine not as much fun to kiss on the head though!

I thought raptors and fall warblers were tough ids and then this summer I started on damselflies - it's incredible how tough it can be to id them!

Exciting morning, the warblers are definitely on the move. I had a tennessee again this morning with a magnolia warbler and I THINK a new yard bird - a warbling vireo but I'm waiting on confirmation. WHy do I get so excited when I see a new bird?

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bonnie. Bonnie. Dearest Bonnie.... May I first congratulate you on your posting with the centering and italics? Great job.

Secondly may I say EEEEEEEEEKKKKKK!!!!!!!!

at your suggestion for a Year of the Turkey Vulture!

LOL @ "THEY KNOW ITS THEIR TIME....." LOL! :-)

I'm sure they are sweethearts as individuals too. Funny enough Mike mentioned early this spring his concern if we got a Vulture or their chick to care for at Camp Nappy. So far the bird with the longest wing span we have had here are the Ring-billed Gulls. Room for a Vulture? I dunno! We'd probably be OK for a while until someone from the Raptor rehab center takes them in to continue the care.

Brenda? You wanna come over to help care for our Vultures? All part of the Nappy experience, dontchaknow?!?!?!? :-) I *love* that barn and see it every day!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. A kiss on a Vulture head Jean? Well, OK. Maybe after a good dose of Purell on his noggin. :-) Oh Damselflies and Dragonflies are tough! Its a great feeling to make that good ID though ... Just like for a new bird! A Warbling Vireo? I'll need to look that guy up! Our latest "sighting" was the squirrel who chewed through a screen today and then chewed into the container with the nut mix on the breezeway! They aren't shy here are they? LOL!

Project for this weekend ... Fix two screens.

C3D

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

I DO TOO! I DO TOO!! New birds are so exciting, you are NOT alone :-)~~~~~~~~Bonnie

• youreit
    16 years ago

I'm so there, Chicka. I'll also bring Listerine and Neosporin....for always fresh breath (all the better for vulture kisses...) while cleaning the beak and talon wounds on my lips and arms. :D

Congrats on your sightings, Jean! I can't wait until all of the new birds (optimistic thoughts...) come through my yard this year! :D

Former girl scout,
    Brenda

• jeanner
    16 years ago

The birds were a little CRANKY today! One hummingbird had it out for a pee-wee, I thought at first she just wanted her perch back but she chased that pee-wee all around the yard and would not give up on chasing him away! But then again the pee-wee chased the tennessee warbler away so I guess it was fair play. Then I watched a blue-gray gnatcatcher and a housefinch fighting - what was that about???? The mourning doves would not let the bluejays come to the feeder at all - and the bluejays were actually afraid of the doves, that one amazed me! I'm wondering if the drought has them stressed too.

I had a fun moment this morning - I had window open and the camera set up and was just sitting back watching the birds when a house finch flew up to the window sill and then proceded to hop onto my camera! I'm not sure who was more surprised, him or me!

I have had a few new visitors to my crabapple party. Most just stop by to see what the fuss is but a few of the warblers have actually partaken of the sunflower chip buffet. The tennesse warbler has returned each morning but I have yet to get a picture (he eats and runs, now rude!) This {{gwi:169730}} seems to be in mid-molt, he was a little scruffy looking!. Two of my favorite warblers, the {{gwi:169731}} and the {{gwi:169732}} both showed up this weekend. This {{gwi:169733}} showed no interest in the sunflower chips but was definitely eyeing the blueberries I had put on the fence but never actually tried them. This morning I had a family of {{gwi:169734}} but they only stayed for a few minutes.

I wonder who will show up tomorrow?????

• youreit
    16 years ago

So beautiful, Jean!! I'm really missing the waxwings now! And yellow-tummied birds are so adorable. Kingbirds are another of my favorites, too!

If I was a bird, I'd show up at your house, Jean. :D

Brenda

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL! I watched a hummer have it out with a House Finch yesterday! Your photographs are fantastic as usual, Jean.

I was waiting for a photo op of a female Hummer and waited and waited some more. Then there was a shadow over me. I pointed the camera up and here's the first of our Vulture guests?!?!?

Listerine, Purell and bandages.... :-)

• comettose
    16 years ago

So this is where the bird action is. Lovely photos ladies - vultures, hummers, hawks and a robin taking a bath (one of my faves to watch a bird take a bath).

C3D is that a Sunburst locust tree the hawk is in?

I was spraying my woods last night with the hose and a small band of Chickadees and Tufted Titmice (is that what you say mice?) were flying in and out of the water and then finding perch to bathe in the trees.

I have some young cardinals visiting the feeders but not too much happening otherwise. The rescued blue jay still hangs around. He is fine and looks almost 100%.

No new photos of birds, only a luna moth but I have not downloaded it and this is a bird thread.

CT

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nope. The Cooper's is in a Mimosa Tree, sometimes known as a Silk Tree. (Albizia julibrissi)
    {{gwi:169750}}

The Hummers *LOVE* them!!! We have 4 of the trees in the back yard.

It is a semi-hardy plant in the Fabaceae family.

• comettose
    16 years ago

Oh, that is pretty. We have those in Maryland. I'm surprised they grow so far north that is why I thought it might be a Sunburst locust. Nice fragrance and soft wood. They grow very quickly. Thanks. CT

• youreit
    16 years ago

Ack! Those lovely mimosas are like weeds here! The hummers DO love them, though. :D

Some (common) geranium cuttings I stuck in the ground near the top of my creek are now so huge, I can't see the birds bathing anymore! My lemon verbena is nearly twice my height, and that blocks the creek area, too. Next year, our house may disappear completely, and I'll never get a good bird photo op! LOL People will drive by..."Do you hear screaming coming from that thicket?" :D

But I'm SO not complaining, I promise. :D The hummers are getting even more aggressive now, as it heats up this week. I want to see one take on a scrub jay...maybe just quiet him up for a few minutes. *looking for my ear plugs* LOL

Brenda

• jeanner
    16 years ago

Hey, Papa Smurf got his own page on Cornell's website! Isn't he grand??????

• youreit
    16 years ago

He's famous!! That is so awesome, Jean! I MISS him, too! I'm proud to say I "knew" him when. :D

Congrats, Jean!

Brenda

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

Awwwww thats wonderful Ms. Jean. You took the best shots of him. What a beautiful little birdie. He looks so very regal. Bonnie

• isis_nebthet
    16 years ago

I have two high points every year. Heralding of a new season in early spring migrating hummingbirds stay in the yard for a week or two fighting over the locust blossoms. Next is the heralding of the seasons end and turkey vulture migrations (going on now). Normally they're just a vultures....but to see 100 heavy birds fighting over perching spots in the two big pines (they're too heavy to land in the palms and ignore the roof for some reason) in my yard is pretty funny.

I have roadrunners all year I like making sounds at them. They can act very tame and not be when cornered so I don't feed the pair in the yard they stay on their own accord. They do snatch some of my dog food out from under the dogs noses.

• comettose
    16 years ago

Congrats for you and Papa Smurf!

I wish we ad roadrunners!

• youreit
    16 years ago

I think we spotted a roadrunner once while walking down the road toward the fields. The dust it kicked up when it spotted us and took off running was SO like the cartoon one, I couldn't help laughing. LOL I'd love to see one or two up close in the yard, though!

The turkey vultures filling the trees sounds so scary yet exciting! If they're silent, that would be even scarier. LOL

My little high point right now is the returning goldfinches. Nothing exciting, but it was so quiet and lonely feeling around here without them. They're really pigging out on the thistle seed, too! :)

Brenda

• youreit
    16 years ago

An encounter yesterday about outdid my barn owl high point! LOL

I stepped out onto the porch with Pookie, keeping an eye out for a stray who has been terrorizing my kitty during her moments out in the yard. From the right came fast movement, a HAWK gliding straight across my yard to the oleander shrub in the neighbor's yard on the left! Looking for little bird snackies, I imagine, but what a sight! It was either a sharp-shinned or a Cooper's, but I couldn't tell for sure; they're always so difficult for me to ID, since they're so similar.

From the oleander, it flew out to the big tree in my yard, alighting to where I couldn't see it...so I don't know if he got what he was hunting. After a minute or 2, it took off across the street and to the right, and I was left feeling incredibly awed, and bummed that I didn't get more time with the handsome devil. Silent, deadly, gorgeous! :)

Brenda

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oooooooo! Owls are so awesome! I saw a Screech Owl a few days ago flying across the road and then we saw one in one of our trees later the same night.

Very cool! :-)

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

Oops I just realized that a few times i referred to Ms. Jean as Brenda and visa versa. Sorry ladies you probably think im a wacko! I did not read carefully who was posting what, again sorry for the mix up! ;-) You are both really sweet though so it was easy to get confused. Sorry. My newest birdie sighting has been a pair of white breasted nuthatches. They are very fast and sound so funny calling to each other. They are way cute! They pick out sunflower seeds from the feeder and stick them in the bark of the trees and in the shingles on my roof. I may have sunflowers sprouting from my roof come spring. LOL.... I have also been seeing some kind of little fly catcher and it is really fast too and it checked out one of my empty bird houses. I thought that kind of weird? Anybody else seen that?
    Ms. Jean any new birdie sightings? Did your Blues ever return? Any more pretty pics? Bonnie

• youreit
    16 years ago

Owls are VERY awesome, I agree! I guess if I saw them all the time they wouldn't be so exciting, but....a few more sightings would be nice. :D

Bonnie, it's quite all right. I knew what you meant, and I've done it plenty of times myself. If you're a wacko, then I should be locked up in a looney bin. Well, you're not a wacko...LOL

I was finally able to grow a couple hybrid sunflowers from seed this year, and the little goldfinches are entertaining me by swinging around on the tops of them, going for the seeds. :D Life is good.

We had some nice rains recently, and sunflowers from the feeders are popping up EVERYwhere...as per usual. I think I heard some birds giggling at me as I bent over, trying to pulling them all out of a bed that's far too difficult to reach. I can imagine what a kick they'd get out of me trying to pull them from my roof. LOL

Ooo, had my yearly sighting of a yellow-rumped warbler out by the pond yesterday. Again, I was bent over, planting a western sword fern, stood up too fast, head rush....well, hello there, little sunny bottom! LOL Did I mention life is good? :)

Brenda

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

Brenda thanks so much for understanding ;-) I get over excited sometimes when i read stuff and miss some of the very IMPORTANT details! LOL....
    I think i saw a little sunny bottom today too. I looked it up in my birdie book and it said the yellow rumped warblers have yellow spots under the wings too but my little fella didn't have that. Just a really yellow little behind when he or she opened its wings. It was just the cutest little thing though. It was chasing a flying insect around my trellis. Looked like a little flying yellow flower :-) Life is good here too.
    I have a little pair of Carolina wrens following my little white breasted nuthatches. When ever the nuthatches stash something in the tree bark or roof the wren follows behind and eats it! LOL....Go little wren and get those sunflower seeds out of my roof! The little wrens are like cute fluffy vacuum cleaners. They check under every leaf on my hanging plants and they visit everybody's yard and porch. They are so much fun to watch and listen to.
    Bonnie

• jeanner
    16 years ago

It's okay Bonnie, you can confuse me with Brenda any day - that would be quite a compliment!

It must be yellow-rumped warbler time for everyone - I too have had several sightings. I missed out on most the other warblers this fall - bummed about it but there is always next year. The yellow patch under the wing can be pretty obscure in fall, especially with a young bird. They were probably looking for spider webs in your bird box. My titmice hang onto the side of the brick and pluck the bugs out of the spider webs - just another good reason not to wash my windows!

Brenda, can you grow coneflowers out that way? The finches love them and they are such great bloomers. I always leave the dead flowers for them until they are picked over. I have found that if I leave the stalks all winter I get some kind of cut worm the next year so sometime in December I go out and cut down the stalks.

Bonnie, keep an eye out for the red-breasted nuthatches - this is an irruption year for them and I've had one on several occasions. This one comes and grabs seed and then takes off for the woods. I'm hoping he sticks around for the winter, I'm not real hopeful though as they typically go for pine trees and there aren't alot ot pines around here. I'm guessing they might make it down your way this year.

I have had a few new birds this fall, a black-throated-blue warbler, a grey-cheeked thrush and a pine siskin (also an irruption bird this year). Unfortunately the pictures are only good enough for identification purposes, I've had a run of bad luck this fall with pictures. I haven't had much time for bird photography but I did get these shots of a yellow rumped this weekend ....

{{gwi:169751}}

{{gwi:169752}}

• youreit
    16 years ago

Oooo, I just want to pinch that little bundle of sunshine! He's so handsome! It's so cool that we've all seen them this week, too. I'd love to see a tiny, fluffy vacuum cleaner! LOL

I've tried growing Echinacea a couple times, Jean, but for some odd reason, they don't seem very happy here. I tried them in pots and in the ground, but they're so beautiful, I'm sure I'll be tempted again. I haven't tried the prairie coneflower, though (Ratibida). I see pics of coneflowers grown by folks in the central and eastern U.S., and I can't believe how huge they are! I'm so jealous! :)

Brenda

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

Thanks for not being mad Ms. Jean ,i do get overeager sometimes and totally miss stuff. Love your sunny bottom birdie. I think those are great pictures! That's definitely the little bird i have been seeing all week. They are fun to watch because they are so quick. They are really hunting the grass for bugs i guess because they are constantly on the ground flashing their little yellow bottoms :-) Thanks so much for the pictures.

Awww Brenda, you dont have the little fluffy vacuum cleaner wrens? They have so much personality and are so much fun to watch. They are so naughty too :-) i just love love love them! They follow all the other birds around and see what they are interested in and then they start liking it too. That of course makes the other birds mad so then the chase begins and it looks like a game of peek a boo because they are so small and fast the other birds can never catch them! LOL....If one bird likes a nest box then the little Carolina wren likes it. If somebody hides food then the little wren eats it. If somebody is guarding a certain tree then that is the tree the wren wants to be in. If somebody likes guarding a vine then thats the vine the wren wants to be in, and on and on and on. They are so mischievous and fun to watch , i laugh all the time at their antics. They are just so naughty and cute. Wish i could send you some but i only have one pair and i would surely miss them just to much. They even pick the bugs off of our cars and every bug off every hanging plant too. Yep they are just so wonderful. Little reddish fluff balls with big beaks and big voices! LOL....I hope you get some, Brenda they are wonderful.

I saw a male Northern flicker today and i never realized how big they are, and their beaks are huge too! Lol...I never ever want to make one of them mad. So pretty though and very shy. I have always heard them but never saw them. Very exciting for me to finally put a real face (and beak) to that wild call they have. He hung on the very tip of a branch to pluck dogwood berries and the northern mocking bird that guards that tree didn't mess with him either. I dont blame him! LOL...Bonnie

• youreit
    16 years ago

Bonnie, you paint a mighty fine picture of the adorable wren! It does sound naughty, but fun naughty. LOL Maybe this will be the year for me to see one!

Ahhh, I LOVE flickers! They're so hard for me to see against the bark of the tree in dappled shade; not at all like the ladderback woodpecker that comes right to the base of our big tree and works her way up. Not shy at all, in color or temperament. :D But you're right, northerns are BIG, and I'm always surprised when I see one. Congrats on your new sighting!

Little sunny bottom surprised the heck out of me yesterday. He went straight to the crotch of the tree where I always put out the peanut butter/nuts/berries mix in the cooler months. I hadn't done it yet, but he gave me a gentle reminder. LOL Nature is so awesome!

Brenda

• isis_nebthet
    16 years ago

I have barn owls that live in the storage trailers here. Last summer my room mate kept complaining about dog poop in the yard...we figured out it was mostly owl pellets...We had three or more at that time. I only saw one this year though.

I was worried about not having a pair of roadrunners anymore a year or two back. A kid was out in the yard with a bb gun getting pigeons. That was fine until he said he got a roadrunner too..his dad was not happy. He'd killed the male. I was worried the female might range off because of it but within a month there was another male.

I've got lots of quail too...

Up until this week I had some small green birds in my garden. The cucumber vines died back enough now they left though.

• Storm18
    10 years ago

Looks like this thread is dead... but no one in my family shares my excitement for birds. This looked like a good place to post. I recently put up one of those No-No feeders filled with black oil sunflower seeds. Today I saw two yellow cheeked warblers! They have been coming around for two days now. We live near the Austin area. Not sure if they will stick around. I have a little pie plate of water propped on the top of the fence. We have several berry bushes. It's exciting to see something other than sparrows.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor