Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youreit

Does it suck??

youreit
17 years ago

Your vacuum, that is. :D

I'm in the market for a new vacuum cleaner, and I'm overwhelmed! DH says, "Just get the Dyson Animal!" But...geez, it sure costs a LOT! If it IS the best for what I need, I'll spend the money, though. Doing research online is insane, because a) there are so many to choose from and b) each review site says something different about all of the choices.

Some things to consider -

We live in a one-story, so I don't have to worry about lugging anything up the stairs. We have carpet throughout, so no worries about bare floors. And I'd like to have somewhat accessible attachments for those pesky spider webs, as well as nooks and crannies around furniture. (I've read that the Dyson's accessories aren't attached and are hard to manage.)

I'm wanting to get a bagless, and if I get one with filters (well, all bagless have filters, right?), then I don't want to worry about buying a $30 filter every (???) months. (I've read the Dyson has life-time filters.)

Oh, and I have the one kitty...as well as a husband, besides the fact that he's in the construction business. LOL

If you have any advice for me, I'd be more than grateful! I'd like to get one this weekend, so sorry for posting this on such short notice, too.

Thanks, guys AND gals! :)

Brenda

Comments (28)

• goodkarma_
    17 years ago

Brenda, Koijoyii (Jenny) just got a Dyson vacuum cleaner. Hopefully she will respond or maybe you can e-mail her to find out how she likes it.

Lisa

• pondscum35
    17 years ago

I have the Dyson Animal and I think its the best one I've ever had! I've blown up the Sharpe, Phantom Thunder, a Eureka, and another one I can't remember. This thing even makes my old carpet stand back up! It's a couple years old and I haven't had a problem yet. I can finally keep up with the 2 dogs, 2 cats, 3 kids and husband who never wipes his feet... LOL

A couple of the attachments are a pain because they are big and not "on board", but its not a big deal.

4 stars and worth the money.

Good luck and happy shopping.

• koijoyii
    17 years ago

My son got me the Dyson animal for Mother's Day. He researches everything on the Internet, and couldn't find anything bad about it. (This is one reason we still don't have a digital camera. lol) Luv it, luv it, luv it. It only weighs 19 pounds and it sucks big time. I have two cats and one dog. You wouldn't believe the hair it picks up. With my old vacuum (Bissell) I had to take an attachment and go along the baseboards to get the hair up, not anymore. Pondscum is right, it has two attachments that aren't on board but I don't have a problem with that. My son got me this because I have allergies and very, very bad asthma. I love it because you just put the cannister in the top of your garbage bag, push the button, and viola I don't have to inhale any of the dust. I too have burned up a Sharp and Eureka (I call it Pukereka). It says on the box it never loses suction. The suction is so great it pulls some of the knap out of my carpet with the carpet being so new.

We don't vacuum the carpet in our house anymore, we Dyson the carpet.

I say go for it. I give this vacuum two thumbs up!!!

Jenny

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you SO much, everyone! I'll still keep my eye on this thread in case anyone posts something new by tomorrow morning, but it looks like a Dyson Animal is in my future.

I'll need help picking out a name, though. ;)

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

thunder?
    i have never heard of a dyson. yeah, i get around a lot.

• pondscum35
    17 years ago

Sorry, I spelled it wrong... Fantom Thunder. Similar to Dyson but weighed a ton and clogged constantly. One time with my Dyson, I accidentally sucked up a AA battery with the hose..... Still can't figure out just where it went! It really is an Animal..... Maybe you should name it Boss Hog.

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

lol pondscum! i must have had a subconscious thought arising from the depths. i didn't realize that "thunder" was mentioned in the text. that's it. it must be the new name, brenda.

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Maybe I'll call her "Thunder Hog"! Hehe...

I could think of a few "things" I'd like to vacuum up and never see again. :D

Ok, I'm off to spend mucho money...er, make a great investment!

Brenda

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OMG!! This thing IS an animal! Like my DH said, "Wow, it's like a spaceship contraption with all of this...stuff!" LOL

And I must proudly proclaim that is really does suck. There was more stuff in that canister than I ever imagined was lurking down in my carpet. Well, I rather imagined it was there, but I didn't want to SEE it. :D

And it was on sale! Ok, even with the sale price, it was still expensive, but we also got a free $100 gift card from Best Buy, so we can get more goodies in the future. That was good icing.

FTM, the link below has a pic of this beast. :)

Thanks for your help, folks!

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Dyson Animal DC14

• pondscum35
    17 years ago

OOOOO, it's so handsome! Yet another animal adoption success story! Congrats!

I thought about this thread yesterday when mine vacuumed up a test tube from my pond kit! LOL

Have fun!

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

oooo, "mini turbine." i like the color :)

• koijoyii
    17 years ago

Brenda:

Glad you are pleased with it. The Bissell I was using before the Dyson would cough a huge dust cloud after I emptied the cannister. The last time I used it I was vacuuming the couch with the wand and it wasn't sucking up the cat hair. When I looked in the tube I saw what I thought was grey fur so I thought I vacuumed up the cat's fake fur toy mouse. I took the wand out on the porch and jammed a curtain rod down it. It took about half an hour to get the darn thing out. It was about a six inch long hairball that had got jammed in the tube. It looked grey cause it was covered in dust. So I'm glad you didn't buy a Bissell they are prone to hairballs.

Needless to say the Dyson gets the hair that is woven into the couch fabric out, and I don't think they are prone to hairballs, even though they are animals.

My son got ours at Lowe's. It was the same deal we got a $100 gift card. You couldn't beat that. That would sure buy a lot of pond plants. Hmmm, wonder if he'll just give it to me since he's not into home improvements.

Jenny

• ademink
    17 years ago

LOL...those daggone cat toys!!! We have all hardwoods...is the Animal good for those? I've been eyeballing them since I saw the ever-so-expert man pimp them on TV. I am definitely marketing driven and I want one!

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

"So I'm glad you didn't buy a Bissell they are prone to hairballs."--- LMAO!

FTM scolding her vacuum: what part of suck don't you understand?!

• koijoyii
    17 years ago

I have ceramic tile in my kitchen which usually has a good amount of dog hair on it when I get home from work every day since I gate my dog in the kitchen. You can change the setting from carpet to bare floors. It is great for vacuuming the kitchen. It sucks the hair up and doesn't just blow it around. I am sure it would be great for hardwood floors.

Jenny

• sheepco
    17 years ago

I have GOT to get one of these suckers!

Says she with dust bunnies big as puppies...

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

lol ...my dustbunnies can compete with the night of the lepus stars!

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I DID have a slight problem the first time I used it, but I didn't mention it, since I didn't want to admit to any frustration after spending that much money. :D

The first time you use it, it sucks up so much...YUCKY stuff (mainly long hair, but I can't help it that I shed, too!)...I had to clean off the brushbar a couple times. It got so wound up, it started making this gawd-awful sound that about gave me a coronary.

After the initial pass or two, it was great...until one of the XYers left some fishing line lying across the floor (that's stuff is tricky to SEE)...and it was attached to the entire reel of fishing line. Another heart attack moment, but after I finished yelling, and cleaning the brushbar, everything was hunky dory again. :D

I just couldn't believe how much powdery dirt stuff was in the canister! I feel like I can breathe now! *flicking my cigarette*

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

lol, brenda. it'll catch up eventually (not saying your home needs to be condemned or anything, though)

• chickadeedeedee
    17 years ago

LOL Brenda! I've done the fishing line suckage too.

Hmmmmmmm. I'd be afraid what the Dyson would find here!

We were going to have a small dinner party one Tuesday evening and I was getting things ready. I watered the plants, dusted, pre-fixed dinner, washed the floors and vacuumed.

Well ...... Since I had the vacuum out ... maybe I can do a quickie vacuum of the aviary. I'm merrily vacuuming up seeds and cookies the birds had tossed about when one of the birds says:

"Oh oh!"

Oh oh! Was an UNDERSTATEMENT! The filter bag had separated and there was a huge cloud of dust, seeds, feathers EVERYWHERE. And I do mean EVERYWHERE ... the aviary. The living room. The dining room. The kitchen. I was coughing and sneezing as I watched down feathers gently drift down from near the ceiling.

There was a fine talc-like dust on everything too. The poor Ionic Breeze was put into high gear and cleaned about 3 times before I decided the air was cleared enough to start dusting the furniture and now the plants too. Wash the floors again. Now I needed to clean the windows. Then I vacuumed again.

LOL! No one knew what a disaster area the place was just hours before the dinner. :-)

Yep. My Bissell and Shop Vac have had issues with me and I with them.

C3D

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Welllll, you might not be far off the mark, FTM. Especially if I decide to go on house cleaning strike this year. :D

OMG, C3D!! Just imagining the looks on the birds faces!! "What the....??! INCOMING!" LMAO! If it had been me, the birds would have had to cover their ears for all of my carefully choreographed expletives. And maybe throwing some things, too. And blaming it on DH (only if he started laughing at me, though). LOL

Brenda

• horton
    17 years ago

C3D, you did a teriffic job of cleaning up, I never noticed anything out of place.
    Plus the prune soup and deep fried corn flakes, smeared with asparagus bannana sauce were delicious. I'm still green [and that's not easy,just ask Hermit]

With envy of course, at your cooking skills.
    Thanks for the invite, it was worth flying down to Oheeho for such a wunnerful evening, with such wunnerful people.
    By the way who were they?
    The Adj, RCG etc, etc, etc.

• chickadeedeedee
    17 years ago

Ohhhhhhhhh Horton!

You, my dear, had too much of the Merlot! You dined with the best that Oheeho has to offer. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

~Sorry about the mealworms.~

Brenda, Brenda, Brenda... In general we are not the swearing/profanity type folks here. (Nauseatingly wholesome and compared to "Mary Poppins" if memory serves correct is how I am perceived by some.) This mindset is more important KNOWING there are birds who can and will mimic the words they hear! But looking back on it ... it was kinda cool to hear one of the birds realize there was a major vacuum malfunction and interpret this in the birdy brain as : Oh OH! LOL!!!!!!!! NONE of our birds know or say any swear words. :\-) The worst that any of them says is Kramer who calls Larry a "FREAK!" \-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-> but that's yet another story. LOL! DH was 113% innocent! He wasn't even present when the fiasco occured but was \*MUCHO\* sympathetic when he learned of what had happened. There was no time to throw anything either. My blood pressure probably went up a few notches though. :\-) C with the 3Ds
  • youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

THAT'S what I'm talking about! The difference between us is that you're gentle and caring, C3D...and I can explode at any moment. LOL Ok, I have worked on the self-control issues. I'm just glad my kitty (and my new Animal) can't repeat most of everything I've ever said. :D

Brenda

• catherinet
    15 years ago

Brenda........are you still liking your Dyson? I need a new machine and am considering it. I have a Riccar and it really sucks well.......so I'm thinking I should just stay with that brand. It does have a bag (hard body), and its always totally full of dog and cat hair. I'm impressed with it. I don't know what the Dyson goes for......but the Riccar is probably about $500 by now, at least.

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Catherine, the honeymoon is still on with my Dyson. :D It does take some maintenance to keep the roller brush thingy (technical term for the main suck-up part that you push around the floor) from making a noise not unlike a lovesick Tibetan yak when too much hair (mine) gets wrapped around it, but I've got it down to a science now. Oh, and the springy, semi-unyielding extendable wand gives a nice upper arm workout, too. :D

Harold, I've always wanted one of those, but since I currently rent, it'll have to wait. :)

(Sorry I haven't posted in a while! LONG story, but father-in-law has been ill, and since I have dial-up, I have to keep the phone lines clear for any info on his condition. I sure do miss ya'll, though!!!!)

Brenda

• koijoyii
    15 years ago

Catherine:

My Dyson is going into it's third year and it still sucks. I don't have a problem. And now with three cats I end up with a full load of hair in every room. When my son bought it for me it was around $800, but they have come down in price. I love the one that has the ball that rotates so you can get in every crook and cranny.

Brenda:

Was wondering where you went. Sorry to hear about your
    f-i-l. I will keep him in my prayers. Keep us posted on his status.
    Jenny

• catherinet
    15 years ago

Hi Brenda and Jenny,
    Brenda, I hope your FIL gets well soon!
    Jenny.......I've had my Riccar for about 10 years. Its pretty much just required 1 new brush. If I get a new one, they'll give me a decent trade-in discount too. I wish I could give a Dyson a test drive!