ftm...

sheepco
16 years ago

How was the vacation? Got pix?

S

Comments (20)

• jeanner
    16 years ago

So thats where she's been! FTM, come back to us please!

• youreit
    16 years ago

And she has a camera and knows how to use it. So no excuses, missy! :D

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

lol..yep, i'll put some pics and some video soon. i am still trying to get over whatever throat infection i came down with while i was there.

i love ely, but now i want to live in duluth. on the water side of the bluff! 50-60 degrees there, and i came back to 90 degrees!

• sheepco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh yeah, Duluth is great! I was just searching cabin rentals for the folks for a weekend....But if you want to live there head a bit farther north - Two Harbors or Grand Marais. Or have you ever been to the Apostle Islands and Bayfield? (WI)

Hope you feel better soon and let us know about your visit with the wolves went.

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

hey there! thanks for the well wishes.

i loved grand marais from what a saw of it. i passed through on my way to ontario.

we had been to bayfield and the apostle island about 5? years ago. very, very nice formations. however, my as yet unrealized dream as it is to head out to isle royale. even better in the company of biologists!

• sheepco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, Isle Royale would be good, never been there. What are you planning to do with the biologists? and is there chocolate and/or wine involved? ;)

Please start a new thread when you get the camera thingie worked out (obviously no help from this front!). Can't wait to see the evidence!

S

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

lol!!!

working my tail off here. i would say working my butt off, but it is all still there. :)

something i have played with for a few hours now:

Here is a link that might be useful: i'm liking' this photobucket!

• sheepco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

AWESOME FTM!!! What gorgeous creatures! Thanks for sharing!

More please (when you get the time)!

Sarah

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

thanks, sarah! with my odd sense of humor, i actually timed some of the lyrics with specific events...such as ceasar salad :) couldn't help myself. i also thought "trying to survive the social circus" was very appropriate. i never even heard that song before. i think what took my the longest was going through their song options.

i'll admit the majority of pics are Grizzer. i am biased. he was my fave when he was a pup, and this is the first time i have been back since. his sister maya has more black on the end of her tail. sometimes i can't tell them apart any more but that is a give way. grizzers brown on his face and legs is lighter where maya's is more "rich." the two artics, shadow and malik, for me are too much alike to tell. there are differences, but i am not good enough.

my other pics i'll post with captions.

• sheepco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OMG, didn't even realize there was sound - I thought it was fantastic without! Now I've got to plug in the speakers! But I can't wait to go thru those pix again!

So cool you could visit again and see adults you knew as pups.

I am enchanted! S

• youreit
    16 years ago

Awww, I couldn't view the flash thing! I even downloaded the update. I'll try again in the morning, because I wanna see, too! :)

Brenda

• sheepco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Brenda, you won't be disappointed when you see! WOW!

• sheepco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm bumping this up so folks can see the video.

• grandmapoo
    16 years ago

Love the video. More please when you have time? :)

• sockmonkeyz6
    16 years ago

Really REALLY enjoyed the pics, music,and video! Played perfect! Thank you very much for sharing!
    Debbie

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

your welcome! things have taken a back seat for awhile. have patience :)

• comettose
    16 years ago

Great video FTM! I love those wolves. I didn't know you knew them as pups. They looked like they were shedding. Who threw in the deer? My favorites were the ambush and also the still photos in the water and the two of them on the big rock. Good choice in song - upbeat and funny too.

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

thanks, ct! i didnt' know the arctics as pups, but i was able to do a one week program when grizzer and maya were pups, about 8 weeks old. i would definitely not want a wolf pup for a pet! wow. but i cried when i had to leave b/c i was so attached already.

definitely shedding! good eye. grizzer looks huge on the wolf logs while in his winter coat. so huge, i thought he looked small when i saw him in person (not to say he is small or anything :)

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

about the deer, it was dinner day. locals call when they accidently hit a deer, so the center has a huge freezer full of road kill deer. there is also a beaver trapper who gives the carcasses to the center, only being interested in the fur himself.

anyway, the wolves are coaxed with treats into a holding area( treats already being placed in there, things they don't get often so they are off!). then wolf care staff will take the deer in to the enclosure with a wheelbarrow. once out, the wolves holding area in reopened and it becomes a free for all- whoever gets there first. what i didn't realized is dominance really doesn't have much to do with who eats first. it is who has that piece of meat at the time. possession rules.

the reason the other wolf was not eating, and being dominant male at that, is because he is disturbed by people and crowds he is unfamiliar with. he would eat later.

the ambush- that is maya. she has a very strong predatory instinct!

• jeanner
    16 years ago

Ahhh, I still can't view the video - but I keep trying! Too bad they have videos blocked at work :^(