Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pondmaninfl

Unsure future.

pondmaninfl
17 years ago

This past January, the owner of the company that I work for made the decision that she was to old to continue running the company. With no family that wanted to take over, she decided to sell the company. As of this past Saturday, the company has been taken over by a company out of Ohio. We were all informed of this 15 minutes before time to clock out and go home. I had just signed the paper work last week for an extended holiday in July. My wife says that the sale of the company eliminates my holiday and vacation pay. I say it don't. If I get told that I'm not going to get paid for my days off, I will just have to look for another job because I have earned that time and no one is going to take that away. I am worried a little about what is going to happen even though they assure us that the benefits and wages aren't going to change.

Just a little info on what's going on in my life.

G'day,

Scott

Comments (15)

• jeanner
    17 years ago

That's a tough pill to swallow. It's hard enough to go through that kind of change and that's when you need your vacation the most.

But I know a little about how you feel as I am in a similar situation. I work for a subsidiary of BellSouth who is in the process of being bought out by AT&T. They have not announced what will happen to the group that I work for but they have for all the others. The general consensus is that AT&T will ditch us after the deal. We've already had two director level people leave. I am just 6 years from retirement, I really don't want to start over.

Good luck to you Scott.

• chickadeedeedee
    17 years ago

Oh Scott.

I'm sorry about the news you got. I am sure that something even bigger AND better is in store for you in the very near future! :-)

Kindest regards always,

Chickadeex3

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

Hey Scott. I'm sorry about the job problems. I hope it turns out better than you think it will. Pretty soon we will all be in the same boat or else hired as independent contractors. Sandy

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

it seems that is happening more and more lately.
    scott, good luck to you. i hope it works itself out and soon!

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

Scott, I'm sending good thoughts and keeping my fingers crossed that you can keep the job AND the vacation!

:) Mary

• youreit
    17 years ago

If they assured you that the benefits and wages won't change, Scott, then I would keep that bit of sunshine in my mind until, or unless, you hear otherwise. If it's a good company with a lot of business, I see no reason why the buyer, whether out of Ohio or not, would want to change that.

I think it'll be ok, but JUST in case it's not, you have tons of shoulders here if you need them. :)

Brenda

• ademink
    17 years ago

Any update today, Scott?

• bonz
    17 years ago

My sympathies, Scott. Keep the faith and somethng good will come your way.

• goodkarma_
    17 years ago

Sorry this is happening to you Scott. I hope everything works out well.

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

Scott, whatever happens, stick to your guns and take that vacation, if at all possible, even if it's a lesser one than you had planned. It will be good for your spirit. You're a good man and you and your wife deserve it. :)
    My mother taught me all my life that everything, including the bad, happens for a good reason. It's a sound belief that allows one to let go of what could have been and move forward. It's always a struggle until ones makes up their mind to do just that. What I know about you, makes me believe you'll make the best decisions possible for your situation. You have a lot of support here, just like Brenda said.
    Good luck. I'll keep you and your wife in my prayers.

• sockmonkeyz6
    17 years ago

Didn't like reading THIS post from you Scott unlike all your other ones. I sure hope it turns out good for you. They say when one door closes, another opens...but I always hate it when people say that stuff when I'm upset and worried. Sometimes it's true though.
    Debbie

• pondmaninfl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I caught the woman in human resources today and asked her about holiday and vacation pay. The answer was,"there will be changes. They won't take that away from us." I'm releaved.

G'day,
    Scott

• ademink
    17 years ago

YAY!!! That's *great* news, Scott!!! You take that WELL earned vacation and forget about life for a while!

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

Super! that's one part of the prayer answered!
    Now for the other part - that the job stays and stays enjoyable!

Just remember, Scott, real life happens at the side of a pond. And during vacations. And the best is a vacation with some ponds in it.

:) Mary

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

Ditto on what Mary said! Great news, Scott! :)