Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What The Heck Is It?!?!?

Posted by chickadeedeedee z 6-7 ish Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 08 at 22:17

A friend of ours from the UK found this in her garden while digging a new pond ....

What the heck is it? I thought it might be a boar's tooth. Whatcha think? :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What The Heck Is It?!?!?

Fang from an alien. Musta lost his toothbrush...

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 10:07

I have a hard enough time IDing strange things in my yard here in America! LOL I was also thinking mastodon tooth, but I rode the short bus in school. :D

I'm sure your guess is much closer to being correct, Chicka. Do they have any zoological experts nearby who would be more familiar with local fauna? It's a neat find, regardless!

Brenda

o

a beaver tooth?
I wonder what else she'll find????

o

Not a clue! But what fun to find something unusual while digging! All I found was dirt and more dirt :^)

o

Thanks for your help everyone.

We have only found some Trilobite fossils (**VERY** common on the lake shore) a few Indian arrowheads and some railroad spikes while digging around here. Anyone find cool stuff?

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 18, 08 at 10:55

Wow, you've found some cool stuff, Chicka! The only cool thing ("cool" is relative, of course...LOL) I've found in my yard was an owl remnant. :D I think it was a gopher, or possibly a rat, but dead all the same! Owl - 1, bad guys - 0.

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Owl remnants - might be gross for some viewers

o

Fossils are common here too but I always have to check them out. I always look for arrowheads, there is an Indian Mound just a half-mile away, but have never found any. My neighbor walks his field after plowing it and he finds them there - apparently they were afraid of heights - LOL!

I can't say I've ever dug up anything but down in the ravine, there are all kinds of treasures - old hand wash tub, old jeep, parts of an old shed - have they ever heard of the DUMP??????? I'd rather find the owl remnant :^)

o

Years ago, I had two yards of river bed stone delivered that had to be hauled to the back yard. Almost the first bucket showed many fossilized shells or their molds. This backbreaking job was made easier by the neighborhood children who were facinated by this find. The rule was they could have all the fossils they could find in a bucket of stones they carried to the back yard. Many trips, many fossils, many kids, less work. Sandy

o

Lots of fossils where I live, from when the area was an ancient sea. I've found fossilized snails, clams, scallops. Also, arrowheads are fairly common along with pottery pieces. Another place I've found old bottles without seams and of varying colors. One bottle said Davis OK Baking Powder. We also get mermaid purses (skate egg cases) and one time I found a small piece of carved wood. The Chesapeake Bay turns up lots of goodies.

I found a Davis Baking Powder on Ebay. Not worth a thing considering how old it is. The first city in my county was established in 1634 so we had early colonists and Native Americans that left behind objects.

When I used to hunt I sometimes found skulls of various animals and brought them home, along with turtle shells. I love looking for stuff like that. Sea glass is a favorite of mine to collect if it is green.

Here is a link that might be useful: St. Mary's City, MD

o

No alien parts?..........bummer....

Only thing I ever find are very beautiful....rocks...But thats ok too.

o

Sabertooth for sure! Heehee. Naw, it doesn't look that old. I'm thinking, that old boar must have stabbed himself in the chin with that thing!

When we started the kitchen demolition on the new old house Friday, we found an ancient pocket watch on top of the ancient kitchen cabinets. It's almost a fossil! I'm going to have it checked out, maybe it can still work. O yes, and my other find (very important, since I also collect ding dong clocks) is a clock repair guy, one city north from here.
Yes, I know I'm cheating, the clock guy is not a fossil, but the art of clock repair is!

We found shell imprints in Connecticut river rocks. I have them in my indoor plants. The trilobite was a present and came from the store...

:) Mary

o

I love going to the rock shops. They come up with some of the most beautiful fossils. I wish I could afford them and that DH was less irritated at the time I would spend just looking. Natural History Museums are some of my favorite places to visit.
Is that thing a tooth or is it a claw? Either way it is impressive. Sandy

o

LOL Mary, saying that about the clock repair guy! I, too, have found 2 great fossils down the road at a farm co-op. They run the place themselves. I think she's 85 and he's older. It is so much fun to talk to that lady! I walked in the first time, to get some chicken feed, and the man was asleep upright in his chair, and the lady had her head down on the desk. I thought they were kidding...........but they really were taking a nap. I cleared my throat a little, and they jumped to attention. haha
They are true, lovely fossils!

o

Very impressive. I'd love to find something like that.

When my brother and I were young we found a "dinosaur" skeleton. Mom and Dad knew it was really a cow skeleton, but we didn't find out til many years later.

My brother lives in Roswell, NM. When I go to visit, we have to go out in the desert to look for crystals. The rain washes the sand off them and they are just sitting on top of the ground.

Anne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here