Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Excitement and OHMYWORD

Posted by ademink z5 IN (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 16, 06 at 23:27

There's a big magazine in Indy called the Indianapolis Monthly (www.indianapolismonthly.com). I guess they are interested in doing a story on gardens of Irvington - the area where I live. This area is slated to become the largest historic district in the US.

Well, they are coming to MY yard to take photos on Tuesday night!!!!!!!!!!! --------- ???????????????? @#)(%)#(@*$ lol

I couldn't believe it! I got a call and the lady who heads up the Garden Tour for Irvington said IM mag wanted to know if they could come see my yard and take preliminary photos. I said yes but can they paint in some mulch? LOL She said, don't worry about weeding or mulching or anything...these are just preliminary photos.

YEAH RIGHT. As IF I'm going to NOT completely freak out and become obsessive the second I hang up the phone! So today I had 7 yards of mulch piled in the driveway and I'm going to be mulching for Jesus all weekend. LOL!! My DH is out of town so I called in a favor from my best friend.

Anyway, not to brag...but I'm really excited! I can't believe they want to see MY yard and put it in a magazine!!!! Mine?!?

To boot, I have a HUGE plant sale in my backyard the 22nd-25th to benefit my homeless nonprofit (www.pourhouse.org) and so I'm potting plants, watering, digging, weeding, mulching, going crazy...ahh!!!!

I just came in the house at 10...been out there since 7am...and I look like Dawn of the Dead. rotflol I am SO DIRTY - I mean, my face is dirt, in my ears...everywhere.

SLaphappy and hysterical right now...lolololol

ok, i'm done rambling. look at the bright side, at least i caught myself and didnt post this on the regular forum!

andrea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Excitement and OHMYWORD

Congrats!!! How exciting! You must be so proud! Take a shower, have a glass of wine, get some sleep... then post pix!

o

I'll add my congratulations as well. The aftermath is always good for excitement too. My garden group is all excited because a reporter wants to do an article on the greenroof. This is the second one for this project. The first was so filled with errors I was embarrassed for a week and they left out the names of the guys who did most of the carpentry work although I gave them the names twice. Great way to lose cooperation and friendships. I now repeat my mantras for reporters and publishers...My garden is a work in progress.
I hope you survive the experience. Ditto on the wine and sleep. Sandy

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 17, 06 at 11:05

Oh, Andrea, you deserve the recognition!! Not sure if you deserve to do all of that work, though. LOL @ mulching for Jesus!!! Your pond (and entire yard!) is so beautiful (yes, YOURS!). If you can remember, be sure to post a reminder for those of us (ok, ME! LOL) when the story comes out.

I'm SO glad you posted the link to The Pour House, too! I hope your plant sale goes well. I wish I could be there to buy some stuff! And to get you nice and drunk afterwards. LOL

Brenda

o

Congratulations! Yes, you definitely deserve it - I love your pond and gardens, I'm always emailing your pictures to friends. I wish I was closer too, I would donate some plants for your sale.

And you are definitely going to need a drink after all that!

o

Congratulations! So well deserved! :-)
C3D

o

yay, for andrea!

hey sandy, i love that you are interested in green roof! i have always wanted to do one. alas, it has been added to the project list dated 1997!

o

LOL - drunk w/ Brenda...what a scary combo!!! Hey, let's throw a few of the other girls in our cars and meet in the middle...trade the cat...have a little vino and maybe we'd end up wearing parrot feather. LOL

I am S-OOOOOOOO sore today! I mulched for 12 hours yesterday. I'm going to take pics today. You know, it is AMAZING what a difference mulch makes!!! I mean, I know that it's true but you get used to seeing your bleached out, dry desert looking mulch. When you put that nice hardwood mulch down, it looks so peaceful and calm and your plants just pop out color-wise!

I came in at 10pm and then it started raining - perfect timing!!! There was a chair in the pond this AM though, must've been a rough one. LOL

I am diggin' the green roof thing too. I'm getting ready to build a garden shed (ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, so excited!!!!!!) starting the 26th and think the green roof thing would be the bomb!

o

You go Andrea! Let us know how it all comes out, plant sale, magazine spread, etc. You really deserve some recognition for turning your pool into such a gorgeous spot. Be sure to mention the environmental pluses of pond vs. chlorinated pool!

fondly,
Zinnia

o

ATTENTION GW OPERATIVES:

Operation Rock & (toilet paper) Roll in Indiana has been postponed until further notice.

Hope she remembers us lil' people...

o

Yeay Andrea!

So, how did the photo session go?

:) Mary

o

LOL - Semper, you're hysterical, as usual!! Mary, the session is tonight at 6pm. I am sooooooooooo tired right now. LOL I think if they xrayed my chest, they'd see a fibrous mass and freak out. I'd say, "eh, don't worry, it's just a mulch ball!".

o

Tue, Jun 20, 06 at 16:16

Me, reading this thread - *nibbling on nails*
*reading Fi guy's post & LOLing*
*nibbling on nails*

Hang in there, girlfriend! After tonight, then it'll be nothin' but....ok, the plant sale. But after the plant sale, it'll be...ok, signing autographs. But after THAT, you'll be able to REST! :D

I'm so excited for you!!!!!

Brenda

o

"OH MY WORD" is right! I saw your thread just in time before the (as they say in the business)"The big reveal". And, I'm feeling your anxiety, reading like a maniac and biting nails like Brenda! I DID NOT just call Brenda a maniac, did I??? LOL
I hope you're not too sore/anxious to enjoy this great occasion. You lucky girl! Would love to see the pics! :)

o

Welllllllllllll, I don't know what's going to happen!!! They came and took some pics but she said they aren't positive yet if they're going to do the story on one yard or on multiple yards. I'm like, listen biddy - I just killed myself for days to mulch like a madwoman - you had BETTER USE MY YARD> LOL

So, I'll keep you all posted - thanks for the encouragement!!!! Posting pics later tonight. :)

o

How exciting! I hope they use the pics of your yard and pond. How could they not? Keeping my fingers crossed.

o

Wed, Jun 21, 06 at 9:53

You're KIDDING!! You're nice, Andrea. I would have shown her what rocks on the bottom of a pond look like, up close and personal. :D

At least you get one day of semi-sorta down time before the plant sale. Well, knowing you, you're replacing the day-old mulch with new stuff. LOL

Can't wait for pics! :)

Brenda

o

I just bet ya, your extra hard work will pay off, even if they do use multiple yards. They will pick the ones that stand out and yours would certainly have to! With the angle of the photo and cropping, sometimes it's hard to tell what location the pic is from, so look carefully when you seem them. What I mean is; have you ever looked back on photos of your yard from season to season and changes that you've done and could hardly recognize your own yard? I'm sure the pics will be just gorgeous. When will you know; will they contact you or will you just have to wait for the next issue? Oh, can ya tell, I'm excited for you??? lol

o

*nibbling*
*checking the forum*
*nibbling*
*checking the forum*
*nibbling*
etc

o

Andrea, Good Luck with the fundraiser! I just know it will be great!

...Take a shower, have a glass of wine, get some sleep...:)

I wish I was gonna be there to see your gorgeous yard AND buy some pants. Sarah

o

Wow! this is exciting! Somebody we "know"'s yard and POND having a photo shoot for a magazine! I excited for ya too Andrea!
Debbie

o

Thu, Jun 22, 06 at 10:12

I think we should all pitch in and help Sarah buy some pants! LOL I'm so sorry, but you know me. :D

All's quiet on the Andrea front. I imagine she's working her patooty off in Indy. I'm sure the little orphan is helping out, too. :)

Can't wait to see pics!

Nibbles

o

Andrea, if your fingers aren't worked to the bone, please take the anxiety off this crowd! I've checked in here twice today and.......................still nothing! :(
Don't you take a break???!!! LOL

o

ok, still no word but i think their timetable is different than mine (NOW!!!LOL). i'm sitting out here doing the plant sale and it's sooooo hot and humid i think i need to start drinking........speaking of drinking........rotf...you guys got me in trouble...

so i'm waiting for them to show up on tuesday and i'm dehydrated, insanely tired and slaphappy. so i think, "you know, they're right - i deserve to relax now - hmmm..a wine cooler sounds good!". i figured low alcohol content, fuzzy navel flavor, good high-class beverage. LOL well i got it out and tasted it was SO thirsty, i pretty much chugged it.

wheeeeeeeeeee....buzzzzzzzzzz....lmao

never knew one wine cooler could get you buzzed....but it can, believe me. up pulls indianapolis monthly - oh great. so this lady is NOT a gardening person (and you are doing this article why?) and is like 24 and lives in an apartment. no disrespect intended, just giving you a "non gardening" snapshot here. i greet her outrageously warmly and then stand there.

so she isn't really asking any questions and the lady w/ her says, do you want to just take over and talk us through this? i'm thinkin'..huh? i dont know what the angle is, i dont know how much info they want....do they want to know "fleece flower" or fallopia japonica variegata or do they want to know "pretty flower"? lol i have no idea what they want...so then my default mode kicks in of "if you aren't going to talk then i'm going to talk really fast and more and more".

....and let's not forget the wine cooler....

so i'm chatting more and more and faster and faster and she's saying, "oh, this is nice" and I'm rattling off the latin nomenclature, this originated in the backwoods of a tibetan monk minefield, etc, etc, etc... and we are moving through my yard at lightning speed - don't even think about stoppin' to smell the flowers, sister. my head is not with my body and is watching all of this from a fuzzy navel arial view. LOL

we get to the back of the pond and she wanted to know if the dirt was mounded up for a reason - i explain it's to house the biofilter and to create the waterfall. fast talking...wildly gesturing...i went to tell her that she could walk up the rocks that were like steps over to my right and threw out my arm to show her where.........and she stepped forward at the same time..... and i slugged her in the stomach.

rotflmao

o

Byyyyyy the way - forgot to put this in my post above. I have uploaded over a hundred pics to kodakgallery - rotf..obsessive? NOOOO! So anyway, I'm not editing them for duplicates or anything b/c I'm too tired. I can't figure out how to just make the album public so ppl can browse it w/o an invite so if you want me to send an invite to you, just let me know!

o

Ok, now I'm talking to myself. Did I scare everyone? Wanna see my pond stairs? LOL

o

yes andrea! i am here.... :)
i can attest to wine coolers bringing on the tipsy toes, oh yes i can. try two whole swallows of wine to that list.

i was expecting to hear you demonstrated and fell in. oh well, not everyone is as clutzy as i am. great story telling, girlfriend.

memememememememmeme! waiting anxiously!

o

Wow, Andrea, I was reading that real fast and I SOOO got the picture!!!!!! Btw, I get like that on cafeine. I don't even need a wine cooler.

The girl deserved that, honest. What are they thinking, sending someone who doesn't garden?
Then again, maybe that keeps the article simple - readable by the average 8th grader...

PS I would love an invite, but, I might be a little too busy right now to actually sit down and relax enjoying your pictures - DD#2 is moving back home from NYC next weekend, and ALL HER STUFF is going into the garage... the dirty, overloaded garage... the town dump is open only on Saturdays... pile of things for Goodwill... pile for yard sale... two piles from kids that have long since moved out (btw, it isn't an empty nest as long as their things are still here)... piles from DH, the packrat... nothing from me! Honest! I swear! Eh, except just a few gardening things...

o

I wanta see the pictures.

o

LOL Andrea!!! You finally came back to us, girl and the wait was worth it. That rendition of events is soooooooooooo funny!!! Left me wanting to know, just exactly what happened after you slugged her in the stomach!??! I could just imagine they were looking around and thinking..."Where's those OTHER TYPE of plants she DIDN'T show us! lol

o

Fri, Jun 23, 06 at 12:17

OMG, you should have warned me that I needed a bathroom break before reading that, Andrea! I think a punch in the stomach is way better than showing her how to swim with the fishes. LMAO!!

I'm a lightweight, too, when it comes to drinking. They used to call me One-Beer Brenda in school. I mean, when I turned 21....:D

Cripes, I don't think Kodak will let you make the album public, so we'll all have to get invites....if you have the time, of course. :D My email is csgale at yahoo dot com.

Oh, and how is the plant sale going?

Brenda

o

Thanks Andrea! Your property is incredible!!! I don't know how you keep it up so beautifully. It looks like a trememdously large amount of property and so beautifully landscaped. Bravo to you! :)

o

Oh yeah, I know about the only one wine cooler thing, people telling me huh-uh, you don't get a buzz from ONE wine cooler, and when you decide to relax with one and get a buzz, the in-laws or somebody like the preacher's wife will come a visiting! I sure hope they put a lot of info and pictures or your place, you deserve it!
Debbie

o

Gosh darn it... SOMEBODY in Indiana is gonna get rolled. So........Admiral Ademink, where does this lady live?!?!?!

GW OPERATIVES, please stand by for new GPS coordinates for our new target.

o

LOL! Semper, you're so funny. :) Debbie, that's a hoot! It's soooooooo true. I used to be such a party animal back in the day - straight vodka? sure! (ewwwww now) Now give me a wine cooler and ask me to say she sells seashells on the seashore and I could get a P.I. charge! LOL

Glad you all like the pics! I know that there are multiple shots of the same area but I was just flying around the yard snappin'.

Ok, the plant sale progress........??? OVER SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS IN TWO DAYS!!!???? Can you believe it?? Folks, I've got a new profession. LOL

o

way to go!

o

Pictures??? You bet I wanna see :^)

o

Sat, Jun 24, 06 at 17:56

Oh, those are AWESOME G's, plant lady! Indianapolisites? Indy-anans? Those folks in Indy are so generous! :D

Andrea, your yard is absolutely beautiful. *teary eyed* I haven't even made it through a fraction of the pics, but I've been yelling out, "Ohh, look, she can grow that! And that! Ohhh, just look at how pretty THAT plant is in HER yard!" I'm not even jealous, just proud to know you...for more than one reason. :)

Brenda

o

Your garden is fabulous! No wonder you were chosen! :-)

You have inspired me to try better with my patch of dirt.

3D Chick

o

I set it on "slide show" and have watched it twice, once with Hubby.
***Today we went out and bought mulch!*** hee hee

o

Gee, I'm sorry if I was in any way responsible for the 'wine cooler incident'! If I was having the kind of day YOU were having........well, I guess I'll keep my wino habits to myself from now on!

Congrats on the pant...I mean Plant sale! Way to go!

I really want to see the pictures too!

Thanks for your humor Andrea! And Good Luck! Sarah

o

I've read so many wonderful things about your yard and pond; I would love to see your pictures!
Linda

o
delta delta koi

Andrea, my fish totally support your use of alcohol. They like to unwind now and then with a Great Lakes Holy Moses White Ale.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

haaa!!! Now THAT is what I call "rock the fish"! Ok, when is the par-tay, girl?

o

Andrea, it IS beautiful! And thank you for the pictures. How long have you been working on your gardens? Please say 25 years, then I won't feel like such a LOSER!

LOL ZC - were the fishies playing spin the bottle? Great picture!

o

Uh...sorry...just a little over 3 years. LOL

o

Thank you, Andrea, for letting me "walk" through your gardens :D They are simply beautiful! I really like the way you use boulders around the yard and I absolutely love your hostas...hope mine grow up to look that good. Your pond is soooo pretty! Definitely makes me want to go out and dress mine up, move my concrete benches into the hosta bed and buy stock in a mulch company!

Linda

o

Yes, Andrea, your gardens are gorgeous. I could not make the pictures big, had to view them as thumbnails (oy, the eyestrain!) so I didn't comment before. I've registered at that photo site twice, thinking the first time didn't take. Turns out it just doesn't like my browser, so whenever I visit it it's a big headache. My own fault.

Jean, those fish are running my life.

o

Those fish aren't koi about drinkin' some micro-brewed beer, eh?!

I hate to admit it, but I am familiar with that look with the big glassy bloodshot eyes. Reminds me of Super Bowl XL.

o

You're so stinkin' funny. LOL I'm so conditioned to you that I turned on my muted speakers and hit "refresh" just in case you put funny sounds in the thread. hahahaha

o
RE: Excitement and OH MY WORD

Now would I do such a thing??? :-)

o
Now that's a happy fish..

HA!!!!! Perfect.

o

OH MY....my computer is possessed by homer simpson! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

andrea, what do i give you so you can invite me to your gorgeous pics? :)

o

All right girl! You know how to raise some funds!

Btw, I'm ready to look at your pics, whenever you have time.

o

Tue, Jun 27, 06 at 11:18

LMAO @ that look!! That's about all I can muster at the moment. :D

Brenda

o

I would also love to see the pics. gordon43812@sbcglobal.net

o

Dear Mary and FTM...I need your email addy's, girls! Email me w/ them please!

o

I'm so impressed so much gorgeous stuff to look at! Wow Andrea!

o

Is the magazine out yet???

o
RE: Excitement and OH MY WORD

How about now?

o
RE: Excitement & OH MY WORD

Now?

o

rotflol...you are so in need of a rigid schedule

o

Those sound effects get me everytime!!! Hubby always has the speakers turned up after listening to news, etc.
My first thought is "something's comin' out of the monitor to rip my heart out" and the next minute I'm picturing Mark with a big ole smirk across his face! LOL

Soooooooooooo, WHEN is the magazine coming out???!!!

o

Thu, Jun 29, 06 at 14:00

OMG, you guys & gals are killing me! I get the "heart in need of a defib" all the time. I have my headset sitting down on the tower, and it's turned way up (ok, so I love blasting the heck out of E.L.O.!). I'll hear this eerie sound from under my desk...WHAT the...??!! LOL

I bet the magazine is out now.

Brenda

o

actually, it initially sounds like a cow mooing painfully, to me.

you got it andrea!

o

everything is just sooo beautiful, andrea! your photos alone are magazine worthy. i especially love the "tunnel" shot with the chairs in the distance. so inviting!

i have found a new oakleaf hydrangea variety. a dwarf with double blooms! i am seriously considering it.

o

I'd love to see your pictures, please. cwhitman@pcbdsn.org
I can't wait!!

o
RE: pictures

Andrea, Your gardens and pond are absolutely AMAZING and soooo relaxing (since I wasn't the one weeding and mulching like a madwoman)! I can tell you really love your garden...everything is so happy and healthy. Not only should your garden be IN the magazine, I think it should make the cover!! Gorgeous!!!

o

• Posted by ademink z6 Indianapolis (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 19, 07 at 0:19

Well, for those of you who remember this drama last year...I have an update!! LOL

They called me TODAY and want to shoot photos in TWO WEEKS.

WHAT????????????? THey nonchalantly call me...hi...remember us...yeah...we want to do the story and it will be on just you. so has anyone been in touch w/ you about this? LIKE WHO, MY MOTHER???? LOL i have heard from nobody for almost a year and they appear from out of nowhere!!!

i kept trying to get them to put it off a month so stuff would actually LOOK GOOD...maybe they didnt notice the freezing weather we just had that hosed all of the plants??? hellewwwwwww???

LOL

anyway...the yard obsession begins again...round two!!!!

o

Excitement, ohmyword, and CONGRATULATIONS!

I bet *they* got requests to revisit your beautiful garden! I know I want to! :-)

WooooooHoooooooooo for Youuuuuuuuuu!

C3D

o

Thu, Apr 19, 07 at 11:31

They heard about the pond rock removal! I sent them an email. :D Seriously, I hope you're satisfied with the outcome, Andrea! I also hope they post something about it online, so we can all live vicariously!

Brenda

o

Your photos leave me almost speechless...Wow! Inviting, soothing...gorgeous! That was a pool??

Thanks for sharing and good luck with round 2!

o

Thu, Apr 19, 07 at 22:30

LOL>..Brenda, you nut...YOU told them!!!!!!!! Now if you just would've waited until the BD was in! hehe Seriously though, the water is starting to get cloudy. OMG.

Sheepco, you're so nice! :) Yep, it sure was a pool! This is what it looked like 4.5 years ago.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

Remember, if they happen to mention some militant dude constantly calling them an harrasing them about writing this article, I know NOTHING and neither do you.

Name, rank, cereal is all you need to give them.

-Major Pain, Organic Weetabix

o

Fri, Apr 20, 07 at 11:19

I hear they really like Kashi Go Lean Crunch! Otherwise, any high-fiber cereal is fine. (LOL @ militant dude!!)

Andrea, I hope your pond clears up before the interview! If not, you could just randomly mention Nessie sightings, then quickly move along to the Hostas. Or you could point out those "strange floating things in the shallow end." LMAO!

Brenda

o

Thu, May 3, 07 at 9:13

Hey, did they visit yet, Andrea? Any floating poop incidents? Did the pennywort attack anyone? Are you drunk or sleeping it off? :D (I would be...) LOL

Brenda

o

Thu, May 3, 07 at 23:23

lmao...nope, not yet! ROFLOL...I forgot about the poop fondling incident! haaaaa!!!

The actual interview happened last Saturday and it went really well. The pics will happen this week or the next...????!!!!!!!#@)#($@#)($@#)$(U LOL

I don't know exactly when yet!!!

o

Fri, May 4, 07 at 9:43

That's real kind of them to let you know the exact date(s) when they'll be tromping around on your (private) property. Maybe you should be drunk when they get there, or be fondling some poop - let them see how the other half lives. LOL Would serve them right for keeping you hanging for so long. :D

*waiting with "baited" breath*

Brenda

o

lmao at fondling! congrats, andrea :)

o

Sun, May 13, 07 at 16:20

Well, the photos were taking early on Friay w/ no incident to report - thank God. roflol! No poop fondling, no drinking and slugging someone...nuttin'! WHoohooo!!!

I'm not sure exactly when the issue comes out but I think in the next couple of weeks. I'll keep you posted!

*giving Brenda a tic tac*

o
website

Sun, May 13, 07 at 16:22

oops...forgot to post the website. not sure if the story will be on there or not...?

Here is a link that might be useful: Indianapolis Monthly Home

o

Wait, are you the quirky millionaire?? Why, I would never have dreamt you were quirky.

You know, I was just asking myself, What are the must-have motifs for spring? when I saw that very question was posed in the Indy Monthly advice column. Tell me they don't make up their own questions.

o

Mon, May 14, 07 at 10:09

LMAO - hilarious....I haven't even looked at the website yet. The Spring edition is still up there but I'll be in the Summer one.

Don't I WISH I was the quirky millionaire????

o

Tue, May 15, 07 at 9:41

Must-have motifs for spring....oh, geez! It must be nice to worry about things like that, huh? LOL

I could just see Andrea..."Ok, poop is cleaned out of the pond (check), stop fish from dying (check), help my awesome homeless friends survive (check)....oh, must-have spring motifs! I knew I was forgetting something!" :D

It's bookmarked, and I patiently await the summer edition!

Brenda

o

Sat, Jun 23, 07 at 20:35

Cripes, they don't have it on their website! Only "great idea - A dramatic change to an unwanted pool." Geez, it IS a great idea, and I want to see it! :D Well, I've SEEN it, but it deserves to be on the website...dang it all. *kicking dirt*

Brenda

o

Can someone post the article for us?

o

Sun, Jun 24, 07 at 9:35

I bet Andrea will, after she's done signing autographs. :D

Brenda

o

Mon, Jun 25, 07 at 23:56

Halloooooooo!!! lol I finally got a copy of the magazine on Saturday night. I will scan it tomorrow and post it here (if that works). See you tomorrow!!! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here