Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodkarma_

I Have Done Something Wicked.....

goodkarma_
15 years ago

And my heart feels as pure as a lamb. Well almost.....

My neighbor a few doors up owns a dance studio and thinks she is special. She has lots of money but her yard looks like garbage. The grass is always almost a foot high and the trees and shrubs grow thru the fence and cover the sidewalk. I mean limbs will poke you in the face if you try to travel it. Little kids on bikes swerve in to the street to get by and dog walkers and joggers have to use the street also. She also has lost 2 dogs and a bird to accidents and misadvanture and one neighbor calls her house the "house of death".

Over the years the city has told her to clean it up but now they totally ignore complaints about it. It has been this way for years. Today I was trimming my tree so the leaves didn't dip in to the sidewalk area. My trimmer is super sharp because I learned how to sharpen it on you tube and it is really cutting small limbs like butter. I look down the street at the impassable sidewalk that has been swallowed by the jungle.

I walk the walk with trimmers in hand. I start to snip. I keep snipping. My trimmer becomes surgical....it slices thru chestnut tree limbs, sumac limbs, thorn bushes.....it won't stop, I become knee deep in tree debris and just kick it to the tree lawn. The sidewalk becomes clear but the treelawn looks like someone cut a tree down.

I walk home. I watch later as kids walk the whole length of the sidewalk and smile. My son bring the trash can on wheels and starts walking down to her house. "No" I say. 'Just leave it". He asks me if I am sure and I say I am.

Lisa

Comments (13)

• chickadeedeedee
    15 years ago

Naughty! Naughty, you!!! Shamelessly campaigning to have it declared:
    GOODKARMA DAY!

in your community complete with ticker tape parade. :-)

LOVE how you described your surgical skills.

• youreit
    15 years ago

LOL!!! I LOVE it, Lisa! Not really wicked when you think of all the poked out eyeballs you might have saved. I would have loved to see a video of your prune job in progress...followed by a few leg kicks and heel stomps from Riverdance. "Take THAT, dance studio woman!" :D

We salute you!

Brenda

• sheepco
    15 years ago

LOL! And now that you have confessed to your wicked deed....Way To Go! ...Your secrets are safe with us! (And your street is safer too)

Sarah

• comettose
    15 years ago

Good job!

• pikecoe
    15 years ago

I think you should send her a bill. Glenda

• jeanner
    15 years ago

Wanna come to my house??? I can't get out of my driveway anymore, I'm being taken over! Help!!

• sheepco
    15 years ago

Hey Lisa,
    Just curious, did you ever hear anything from the 'special' neighbor? Like "Thank you so much! I just couldn't find the time!"???
    Did she clean up the debris or just ignore you?
    Maybe you could send a bill to the city for blade sharpening, lol!

Sarah

• goodkarma_
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dear Sarah and other gentle Ponders,

Update: My lovely neighbor and her grown child totally ignored the debris on their tree lawn for days. I watched as her son pulled out of the driveway, start on his way and then reverse the car to see what was different. Duh! He could see the street from his driveway for once. lol

Days passed, kids on their tricyles with Mom and Dad in tow went by. Mothers with baby strollers were seen passing by as well. Still the debris remained.

Then I came home from work and DH told me that lovely neighbor had her new soon to be Ex Best Boyfriend forever clean all the debris and cut her grass. It looks quite ordinary right now. I love it!!!!!!

I am sharpening my clipper blades tonight with a number 10 file. August is coming soon. Boo ha ha, Boo ha ha!! (evil laugh).

Warm Regards,
    Lisa

• koijoyii
    15 years ago

You go girl!!!!!!!

Jenny

• maryo_nh
    15 years ago

Lisa, you rock! And, btw, not only for cleaning your neighbor's yard - it looks to me that you did a wonderful job bringing up that son of yours! Don't let him see you with the evil file...

:) Mary

• youreit
    15 years ago

Well, I truly know what wicked is now, and you're definitely NOT it, Lisa. *sigh*

The new neighbor decided my very tame star jasmine needed to be "pruned", and she didn't bother asking me first (or telling me, period). The plant has gone over the Green Thumb Bridge, and I will MISS IT!!! *sob*

She also tried to destroy my pink jasmine, but *HAha* little does she know it has mild invasive tendencies, and it WILL seek revenge....if I have anything to say about it.

I originally planted these, along with a South African jasmine, along this fence (about 5 neighbors ago) to provide a privacy screen. They were the only green things on that side, except for their weeds. They were very tame, staying up against the cyclone fence and not intruding. Why someone would choose to shear all greenery off that side is beyond me. And why just those 2 jasmines, not the S.A. (planted between the two)? Actually, I thought I'd lost the S.A. after last year's freeze, and I was SO delighted to see it return with a vengeance this year! If she kills that, I can't be held responsible for what I might do. *looking for my weed whacker....*

Ultimately, I have no answers, really, only a lot of select words and angry looks whenever I see her out in the yard. I've decided the star jasmine shall rest in pieces upon the fence forever. Hope she enjoys the view. :D...kinda.

Brenda

• maryo_nh
    15 years ago

Oh Brenda! I didn't know you had fallen victim to an unpleasant neighbor! *Sigh* is right... there is so little you can do...
    So here is my question! Was it planted your side of the lot line? Then she trespassed. Around here, you can trim any branches off a neighbor's tree or shrub etc that hangs over the lot line, but you can't do anything to the part that grows in the neighbor's yard. And if she was trespassing, is there a way to ask her not to do it anymore, since it is breaking the law? Friendly is always the best in the long run, if she's going to be a neighbor for a long time... even if not the most effective, heehee! (*thinking up evil and wicked things that are more effective*)

Here's hoping the star jasmine decides to sprout up from the roots well on your side of the fence!

:) Mary

• youreit
    15 years ago

Thanks for your kind support, Mary, as always. :) And sorry for hijacking your thread, Lisa!!!

I planted the Trachelospermum jasminoides about 6 years ago or so on our side of the fence...which we put up ourselves to replace the knee-high, bent-all-to-heck fence that was there originally. You know how vines are, though. I trained it to grow throughout the chain link fencing, weaving it nicely in and out of the links, and once it grew to the top, it then cascaded down the other side.

It was quite tame, staying very much against the fence and not venturing even half a foot into her yard (measuring from the fence outward). But she decided to shear it back flush with the fence, which must have taken out most of the branches that I'd previously weaved in and out of the links. She also did this to a cape honeysuckle (Tecoma capensis) and my pink jasmine (J. polyanthum) but not the J. angulare (South African jasmine). She chose to do her pruning during some of the hottest weather we've had this year, too. Plants don't usually like that. :(

One bit of hope...I noticed some dark green leaves on the star jasmine on my side of the fence, about 2 or 3 feet off the ground yesterday! I hope that one bit is enough to keep it alive!

Thanks for letting me vent! I'm such a plant fanatic, I was in tears when I discovered what she'd done. Considering the turn-over rate of tenants in that place, I can only hope she won't be around for long.

Brenda