Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
japanese beetle attack

Posted by fairy_toadmother z5 ncentral il (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 12, 06 at 0:51

panic attack that is! several of hte landscape trees at work are literally infested. one in particular i can stand under and here them! click, click, click. i just know some are going to hitch a ride home with me. not that they would be here eventually anyway.

then, the other panic attack. we butt up right on a big woods at work. maybe frogs eat them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: japanese beetle attack

Oh, hope your not really dealing with japanese beetles. Here's a link I found.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese beetles

o

My plants are covered. Just hideous.

o

oohhhhh, there was never a doubt on the id. there isn't a similar beetle is there? i see those white spots and irridescence, they are pretty aren't they? anyway, yikes!

thanks for the great article! i am going to forward the link to my coworker that manages the specific bldg with the infested trees. i saw him today and he said a guy sprayed the crabapple and maple with sevin (SP?) and ran out. i let him know about the other. i can't believe how man you can see just standing in one spot looking up. i also gave him a gardens alive catalog with the nematodes and other sections marked. crossing my fingers!

not a squeamish person, he said he went home, got out of his truck and had one on his shoulder. without thinking go tthe heebie jeebies then shoo'ed it, then kicked himself for not squishing.

o

Heehee.

The japanese beetles are a fact of life around here. You just try to plant things that don't get completely eaten.

Thoughts:
- treat the lawn areas for grubs. That reduced the adult beetle crop. It also reduced the moles.
- your fish love the grubs. According to another thread, also the beetles.
- the pheromone traps do help, especially if your neighbors have them too.
- they're not dirty beetles! no need to freak out when one lands in your hear and tries to bury itself down... honest! (this I keep telling myself over and over)
- who needs roses? grapes? potentilla? etc? etc?

*Sigh*
*they're here in full force too*

:( Mary

o

A pheremone trap would make such a nice neighborly gift.:D Sandy

o

I've not encountered them yet and hope I never do but my parents in Alabama have. I read part of the article but wanted to see the pictures more. That made me do a little research.

Their larvae look similar to the grub of other beetles (not George, Paul, John, and Ringo :o) ) including that of the June beetle, known in the South as June bugs.

Another interesting fact is that moles eat grubs of any beetle. Which would you rather have, grubs or moles? I'll take the moles any day. I think I will form an army of trained moles and make a fortune. :o)

G'day,
Scott

o

great idea, sandy! i was thinking of buying a few already.
they're here for good, mary. isn't it lovely? thanks for the tips.

hey scott! no moles there, but armies of ground squirrels.

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 13, 06 at 10:31

Scott, I'll trade my gophers for some of those moles! Free shipping, too. :D

Ack, I'm so thankful we don't have those beetles here...yet? I hope never!! :(

Brenda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here