Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleeplessinftwayne

My kitty has become an alarm clock

sleeplessinftwayne
17 years ago

For the second morning in a row at exactly 7:30, just as the garage door closes behind DH's car,I have been attacked by a totally hysterical cat. She jumps on my head, pulls my hair, stomps on me from head to toe repeatedly, all the time screaming at the top of her lungs. I don't think I have ever seen a cat throw a temper tantrum before.

I don't get up at the same time as my husband. That ended to prevent the marriage from ending because I have a dislike for temper tantrums from him as well. It's obvious she is upset because he left. I just don't know why or how to stop it. It took 20 minutes to calm her down and she still won't let me go back to sleep. I don't do well on 3 hours sleep. Any suggestions? About getting her to stop, not how to change my sleeping habits. Sandy

Comments (27)

• ademink
    17 years ago

rotflol...oh my gosh...I'm sorry Sandy but that's just hysterical!

CLOSE THE DOOR, girl! Then again....my big blue boy - Judah - starts pawing on the door and meowing at (you guessed it) 7:30am as well. We are talking OBSESSION...pawing pawing pawing meowing meowing meowing pawing pawing pawing meowing meowing meowing pawing pawing pawing meowing meowing meowing pawing pawing pawing meowing meowing meowing pawing pawing pawing meowing meowing meowing pawing pawing pawing meowing meowing meowing....get the picture?

This will go on until I open the door and then he gets on the bed and paws at my face and meows right in my grill until he can see a hand that he can jam his face into....pawing pawing pawing meowing meowing meowing pawing pawing pawing meowing meowing meowing....

....welcome to morning hell. LOL

• sockmonkeyz6
    17 years ago

Learn to sleep through anything! That's the only way. I have four. Two hate each other and at anytime Will let out a blood curdling scream in the middle of the night, it causes one to shoot straight up in the dark and land on toys on floor..sharp toys. Also one extra furry one has no regard to where he lays, feet or face..no difference and when you put vaseline on your lips before bed, you wake up with very furry lips. Striker my oldest kitty loves to groom, anything...plastic bags, boxes, your head. Them scrape scrape sacrape is REALLY irritating in the night either on something else or your head. Nope, no rest in a house with a cat!

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

that is why cat people are so crazed! sleep deprivation. why didnt i realize that before?

i am laughing hysterically at the above stories and relating them to mine since i have some of each. sorry, sandy!

let's see. has he always left at this time and she is just now starting this? it actually reminds me of how frost demands attention. i don't call my all of 6 pounds bengal "mouth" and "boss" for nothing. she could wake the dead. unfortunately, i see anything you do in response as a reinforcement for this. either way, she is getting some kind of attention- whether calming or putting her down. cats aim to train us. dh used to yell at my old man during his yowling bouts of probably senility and not being able to hear himself. it upset me as i felt he was old, couldn't help it and that he would stop within a couple of minutes. however, the greatest saint does have their limitations and i reached mine a few times.

we will keep working on this sandy!

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I find it fascinating that a cat can cover the same distance at the same speed on the same surface and change the noise resulting from non existent to the sound of a charging buffalo...even on carpet. It's in the same realm as sitting on your lap and changing weight. You can feel it happening. Sometimes I would swear my 5 1/2 pound Pookie weighs more like 10. And the temperature thing is unbelievable. If I could train her to work on my Trigger Points I could dispense with one of my doctors.
    The running up and down on my body is like being caught under a line of pistons. Those little chicken bone legs can hurt! She has a bad habit of not retracting her claws most of the time but with this trick she doesn't snag a single claw. How can this cat possibly be 24 years old?
    Definitely Sleepless Sandy.

• ademink
    17 years ago

24????!!!!!!!!???? Are you being serious????? I hope you are b/c my favorite cat (shhhhh) is Olive and she is 11 now. I keep telling myself she's only midlife and you have just given me hope. hehe

lmao @ the vaseline and furry lips...SO true!!!!!

• youreit
    17 years ago

OMG, I can SO relate (except my kitty is nowhere NEAR 24!).

I noticed that my kitty likes to change her routine every week or 2. It's almost as if she doesn't want to get herself into a rut or something. Unfortunately, she takes us all with her into her world of living life to the fullest.

My Pookie used to get up on the bed at early:30 to make sure we were...what?...awake? Meow? Meow? Meow? "Uh, YEAH, we're awake, Pook!" I had to tell her NO and push her off with my feet until she finally stopped that. She just recently started that up again.

Or when I get up to use the facilities. Meow? Meow? Meow! "Shhhhhh!"

Her fur is definitely a magnet to my Carmex lips, whether she's on the bed or off. LOL Her fur follows me like it's a separate entity. I sometimes wonder if I should mention to my family doctor that I might need treatment for hair balls.

Cats are so smart, it's scary. My Pookie saw our dog Clyde scratching at the door to go out. After he passed away, she started doing it, too. :D

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

"I find it fascinating that a cat can cover the same distance at the same speed on the same surface and change the noise resulting from non existent to the sound of a charging buffalo...even on carpet. "-- and here i thought i was hearing ghost stampedes from the olden days!

ditto to all of the above on your post sandy! it sounds like we have similar feline physiques. then, there is romeo. you would think those snowshoe sized paws would disperse his weight? ooobhhhhhhhhh, no! i am just glad, and so is my chronic neck pain, that he stopped sleeping on my head!

• ademink
    17 years ago

I'm laughing so hard I can't even think of anything to say...the separate entity thing is a screech!!!

• youreit
    17 years ago

Hehe....I can relate to the painful pawing, too! My Pook is about 18 lbs., give or take...ok, give. She attempts to balance on my hip when I'm trying to sleep, and I'm bruised for weeks.

I think that if she slept on my head, I wouldn't live to see her empty food dish in the morning. The cat mafia at work.

Brenda

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yep. She's 24 as of this spring. I have trouble believing it myself but DH showed me the tax records to prove when I got the promotion that led to her being given to me. Time is something I have a problem with as he often reminds me.
    One of Pookie's nicknames is Thunder Kitty. We don't hear it as often now but she still manages once in a while when she is particularly proud of herself.
    BTW, she must be feeling better as she has resumed coming to the table at dinnertime to demand her taste (or share)of our meal. However, once she has determined that the food is being dished up she marches back to the sofa and insists on being served there. Diva for sure.
    How did your Pookie get her name? Sandy

• chickadeedeedee
    17 years ago

How is it that they can suddenly sprout 10 legs as they thunder down the hall or up the stairs but appear to have only the standard issue 4 legs (or so) when they saunter up in front of you?

Don't forget that they **KNOW** exactly where the bladder is located and will stand (innocently, of course) right on the bladder and force the human out of bed ... one way or another! LOL!

Mmmmmmmm. Kitty brain. :-)

• youreit
    17 years ago

LOL!! @ the bladder issue! Oy vey, that's so true!

That's great news about your Pookie wanting to be served again, Sandy! I just love Diva kitties. :D

My Pook was actually adopted by a friend of mine. When Pook was about 3, my friend got married and moved to Canada, and rather than transport her little girl all that way, I told her I would gladly be her new mommy. It was pretty stressful on Susan, but she knew I would love her as my own. :)

Susan named her for Garfield's teddy bear. And I think her face suits her name perfectly. :D How did yours get her name? Would love to see a pic of your Pookie, too, Sandy!

Brenda

{{gwi:170645}}

• sockmonkeyz6
    17 years ago

Awww how sweet! Looks like my Muffy I had as a kid : )

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The men in my life didn't seem too excited about the new family member so I tried to get them interested in giving her a name. The suggestions were not particularly pleasant for about a week. Since she was a smoke grey I thought Pooki, the name of an Arabian genie who appears in smoke was a nice fit without being obvious. One of my sons came up with Pookie at the same time. It took me a while to get the Garfield connection. Yeah, I know. :D Sandy

• youreit
    17 years ago

Well, that's a far more intellectual way of going about naming a kitty, I have to say. "Let's see, should I go with something in a comic strip or something Arabian? Hmmm..." LOL What a great connection with Pooki the smokey genie!

I thought it was funny one time when I took Pook to the vet, and I told them she had been adopted from a shelter. The lady said, "But not from here, right?"

I told her, "No, up in Shasta County (a couple hours north of here)."

She said, "Oh, she looks like a Shasta Co. cat! She's too beautiful to be from here."

Huh?? I guess Shasta produces better stray kitties than down here. LOL

And thank you Sockmonkey! :)

Brenda

• sethwell
    17 years ago

it is amazing how cats learn our schedules. my previous job required me to wake at 5am and every morning my cat would be waiting by my door, scratching to get me up.

my cat "verbal" as in Verbal Kent, got his name from the movie the usual suspects. my brother has a boxer named "Keyser Soze", who is played by kevin spacey, who also played verbal kent in the movie. when verbal wandered into my parents house one weekend that my brother and i were home, i took him in and let him see keyser. they hit it off immediatly. they both get excited when we say the others name to them!!

this is verbal in his favorite "bed"!!!
    {{gwi:170647}}

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

i'm in love! he looks like he has quite a sense of humor!

• youreit
    17 years ago

OMG, that hairy little foot is just BEGGING to be nibbled! He is so delicious!

Brenda

• sockmonkeyz6
    17 years ago

I can't believe you said that Brenda! my daughter can't leave kitty thighs alone. She thinks they look so nibbleable!! She's 25!I,m gonna show her that picture of Verbal!
    Debbie

• hnladue
    17 years ago

We call 'em pork chops!! Cause when they stick their legs up the in air they look like pork chops!! MMMMMMM!!!

• ademink
    17 years ago

Oh my gosh,tufts-o-fur galore!!!!!!!!! It kills me when they stop mid-cleaning and they just stare at you like "what?" with their foot STRAIGHT up in the air above their head. LOL!

• ademink
    17 years ago

Ohhhh...speaking of cute...just looked out the window and King Kitty Boy is napping on the boulder. *sigh*

{{gwi:170653}}

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

if that doesn't look like something to be hung on an art gallery wall, i dont' know what does!

• ademink
    17 years ago

I'd like to hang him somewhere this morning. He killed an adult opossum and one of the 3 baby raccoons that just started venturing out in the yard the other day. :( I'm so sad!!!!!! (Found them by smell...that's always pleasant. UGH)

• youreit
    17 years ago

Ahhh, a nice, warm boulder after a night of rampant destruction and 'possum pillaging. Good times for a bad kitty. :D

Oh, MY!! Pork chops!! Raw and tender, just the way I like 'em. *wiping up drool from assorted computer equipment*

Andrea, that has to be my favorite kitty gaze, the mid-lick kind! So haughty, as if to say, "Don't you wish you could get somma this?" LMAO

I can't resist them, Debbie! Tell your daughter I know how she feels. LOL

Brenda

• ademink
    17 years ago

rotflol..Brenda, you are TOO much!!!!!

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

that's one tough "cat!" *piping in music "stray cat strut"*