Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairy_toadmother

who here rides hamhock?

fairy_toadmother
17 years ago

on a harley hog or other that is....

here's why i ask. i had always been taught to lean with the bike. now, dh, who has been headcheese since he was six tells me to sit upright. so, essentially i am leaning the opposite direction. if i do it right, dh says he hardly notices i am there.

so i am extremely confused! not to mention how hard it is to not lean with or, not lean at all and just go with the bike.

ftm, feeling like a "buttsteak" (a much more friendly term than my three letter word.

Comments (12)

• jeanner
    17 years ago

A Goldwing queen here! When they say lean, they mean don't fight it when the bike leans - if you sit upright on the bike, then when it leans you will too. You want to stay parallel with the bike, not the road. Does that make sense? It really is more natural that way, you're not trying to fight it.

We took a motorcyle trip to Key West a few years ago - the best vacation I ever had! We are planning a trip to Vermont next month, I am really excited. My husband always manages to find the best routes.

Heres a real challenging piece of road (318 curves in 11 miles) - we went once - I told my husband that next time he could drop me off and pick me up on the return!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tail of the dragon - Deal's Gap

• sockmonkeyz6
    17 years ago

My husband had Harley Choppers before we were married and he said I was the only person he could ride because he couldn't tell I was even back there. If I recall, I just went with the bike. He sold his the day we were married, in fact the guy came to our wedding reception with the money for the bike. He won a 2006 Fat Boy on a ticket, but sold it to pay bills. I told him to keep it, but he didn't :( I kinda miss it, but he must not..he's getting old and grouchy! The only thing I don't miss is the pointy German soldier looking helmet the guys at the Harley Shop made me wear just to laugh I think. Debbie

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

We have three beemers in our shady past. (One at a time). My favorite road sound - the low growl of a big BMW...

DH was always the one driving, because each one was too big for me - or my legs too short. But I'm a good backseat girl. I also leaned with the bike, but the upper body curved upwards a bit... just so I could look over the "up" shoulder.

I'd think, if you really sat up right (in relation to the ground), wouldn't you push the bike to the ground?

Btw, we sold the last one when we realized we were getting scared of falling. We got too aware of how there was nothing between us and the road, and how long it would take in the hospital to recover... Suddenly it wasn't so much fun anymore.

:) Mary
    vrooommmmmmmmmmm

• youreit
    17 years ago

Oh, yeah, been there, FTM! My dad used to race motorcycles, so there was always something to ride while growing up.

He told me pretty much what has been said. Don't lean, don't compensate, just chill. Since I'm such a spazz, I would see a corner coming up and freak out. I learned to just "fade out" on the corner - look at the scenery, the ocean, the pine trees...anything but the corner. LOL

Now that I'm an adult (pretty much), I liken it to dancing when you let the man lead. Let him spin you, dip you, throw you across the room, but don't react! LOL Basically, hang loose, girlfriend. :D

Brenda

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

It's the same with everything! Relax and you'll lean naturally. I haven't been on a bike in years and years...PJ

• chickadeedeedee
    17 years ago

Riding "pillion" on DH's BMW here. :-)

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

well now, that's what i thought! when he told me not to lean, i didn't. i just went with the bike. he says i am leaning. i don't get it.

i take it it makes no diff whether it is a touring bike or not, right?

i am definitely not ready to take on that dragon!

i learned a new word, chicka :)

• chickadeedeedee
    17 years ago

It is a Brit term, dontchaknow, for a Brit bike. :-)

• jeanner
    17 years ago

Yeah like Brenda said, hang loose baby!!! LOL!!!

Heck I didn't know what hamhock was either, we just call it the QUEEN seat!!

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

Here's another new term for you! Our word is "achterop". Heehee... with the almost-gutteral "ch", and stress on the "op". It rolls off the tongue very nicely.
    It means "on the back", like baby gorillas ride on the back of the momma gorillas. (The momma gorilla would be the bike...)(not DH)

:) Mary

It was just bikeweek here in Tilton, NH a few weeks ago...
    brrrrrrroooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

jeanner, i made hamhock up! :)

maybe if i lost the 70 pounds i put on it would make a difference.

• youreit
    17 years ago

LMAO!! I have to admit that when I first scanned the title, I thought it said, "who here rides hammock?" And I thought, Hmmmm, that's a child-safe way of putting it. :D

Just for giggles, I looked up the word pillion -

The word is derived from the Gaelic for "little rug," pillean, which is itself from the Latin pellis for "animal skin." One or more pelts would often have been the form a secondary seat took on horseback, and the usage was carried over to motorcycles.

Interesting stuff, C3D!

Brenda