Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youreit

Patriots, Unite!

youreit
17 years ago

I thought this might be another good thread, since there are some things we want to post that don't necessarily have anything to do with the U.S. military. :)

Patriot, n., a person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion.

Ukiah Residents at Odds with City Council Over Huge Flag

A pending vote by Ukiah's City Council requiring a local resident to remove a large American flag from his property has some residents in the small Northern California town fuming.

Dave Hull and his neighbor Ric Piffero raised the giant 20-foot by 38-foot flag shortly after 9/11.

"We saw this happening all over the country on the news and just thought it would be a great thing to fly a flag up here where people could see it and enjoy it," says Hull, a lifelong Ukiah resident.

Piffero added, "It gives a person goosebumps. It does me, and to find anybody to find it an eyesore is pretty hard to take."

The Ukiah City Council is expected to ban the flag by a 3-2 vote, claiming the 45-foot pole on which it hangs violates the city's building height ordinance.

The flag, which is located on Hull's property in the hills to the west of Ukiah, can be seen from the center of town as it unfurls on windy days.

The controversy is so heated that council members chose not to comment to News10. However, the city manager did confirm that the council is concerned about "visual blight" created by the giant flag.

Local residents have their own opinions about the flag. Among them, Charla Reed of Ukiah. She said, "I think it's fine. It's not blocking my view. I don't think it's blocking anybody's view."

Petitions supporting Hull and Piffero have been circulating around town. Already 300 signatures have been gathered.

Piffero said that if the city goes ahead with its threat of declaring the flag illegal, he and Hull will consider legal action and perhaps take it to a vote of the people.

{{gwi:171054}}

Comments (13)

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Why would you want to remove a US flag from US soil?How can it be a visual blight? Our flag is always appropriate. It belongs here.I think the people that want it taken down are in the wrong country. There are plenty of places to go that don't fly US colors.PJ

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

there's an issue. declaring a us flag illegal!

and yet people are fine with McDonald search lights seen from 10 miles away

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

One of the local news channels actually did an update on this, which is suprising in itself. :) Great news!

Flag Will Continue to Fly High in Ukiah

Old Glory will remain flying on Ukiah's Western Hills after a vote by the City Council.

Residents in Ukiah were worried the council would vote to ban the flag, because the 45-foot pole was too tall. Neighbors said it didn't block their view, and they didn't consider it blight. They gathered hundreds of signatures in support of keeping the flag flying.

The city attorney, however, said he believes the law prohibits the council from banning the way the flag is displayed if it is based solely on aesthetic grounds.

The councilman who initially raised the issue said he is not opposed to flying the American flag, he simply wanted to preserve the view of the Western Hills.

In the end, the council voted 3-2 to let the flag stay.

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

"The councilman who initially raised the issue said he is not opposed to flying the American flag, he simply wanted to preserve the view of the Western Hills."

You just gotta love government flunkies. You give somebody a stinking title and all of the sudden they think they ARE somebody. If they would only realize how many people have paid the ultimate sacrifice for that flag.

There was a similar situation with a guy who is a fellow member of a work-related network I belong to. A few months ago, a city droid had come by his place of business and demanded that he should remove the 3'x5' USMC flag from the facade of his building because city ordinance only allowed American and their state flag to be displayed. The droid was not moved when the businessman tried to explain that he has 3 kids currently serving in the Marines. Needless to say, he told the flunkie where he can stick it. I don't know (and probably don't wanna know) the ultimate outcome of that particualr incident.

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah, preserve the view. *snort* The ultimate price has been paid to preserve his a$$, and he can't even pretend that he's grateful.

Reading a GREAT book right now called "Ghost" by John Ringo. A lot of extreme patriotism in it (and other "kinky" stuff, according to the author himself). It's not for everyone, but it's fun. :D HOOWAH!

Brenda

• jeffahayes
    17 years ago

Ahhhh, the BUREAUCRATS (aka "city droids"), the bane of modern civilization. Some of them serve useful functions, but ones who have nothing better to do than try to make a local business owner remove a USMC flag from HIS OWN property when his children are MARINES in COMBAT deserve high colonics of Deep Heeting Rub, and so forth!

Protocols CAN be funny things, though. I don't necessarily agree with this, BUT, a few years ago, not long after 911, when a number of people began flying those "Garrison" flags (I THINK that's what they call the huge flags the size of the one in the story above), I saw a discussion like this somewhere (think I was in a chat room, at the time, actually)... Anyway, if I remember correctly ONE PERSON who was either retired Army or reserves, I believe, made comments to the effect that it was actually INAPPROPRIATE and slightly disrespectful to fly a flag of the WRONG SIZE for the location... Said there was actually a printed guide somewhere (I think he even gave a LINK, but I don't think I saved it), that listed what SIZE flag is appropriate for different buildings and situations, with only a 3 x 5 being "appropriate" for a home or small business, and those HUGE flags appropriate only for the fronts of forts, or something like that.

Like I said, I think that's a bunch of hooey, as my opinion is you should be allowed to fly whatever size flag you have and can fly, so long as it doesn't present some sort of safety problem or something, but just to mention that somewhere out there, somebody (apparently some MILITARY BUREAUCRAT -- the WORST kind of bureaucrat, yaknow), has determined what size IS appropriate where.

Go figure!
    Jeff

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lighting is also supposed to be important when it comes to Old Glory. I guess if you keep a flag up over night, you're supposed to have it completely lit up. I know that some folks have issues with flags on apparel (or AS apparel), as well. To me, if you're flying or wearing it, it's always appropriate as long as you're not disrespectful. This from a civilian, though. :D

(And I take it back about the book "Ghost" I mentioned. Aside from the exciting beginning, it's one of the most boring and cheesy books I've ever read.)

Brenda

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

I don't think wearing flag adorned clothing is disrespectful. Quite the contrary, IMO. I do have a problem with some other stuff that bear the American flag though. A few years ago, as is customary for us, we had gone with some friends to a 4th of July concert/fireworks show. Everybody brings a portion of a meal or some beverages to picnic. Somebody had decided it would be BRILLIANT (as the Gunniess guys would say) to bring some flag napkins of all things. I had to confiscate them right away. I jokingly told everybody that if they need to wipe their mouths/hands to just use that person's shirt instead.

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

Did anybody watch the ceremonies last night for President Ford? I thought the Honor Guard did an outstanding job.

• comettose
    17 years ago

United States Flag Code

Here is a link that might be useful: Official United States Flag Code

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I didn't get a chance to see the ceremonies, and I do regret it. After reading up on his time (short as it was) in the White House, I realized just how much I didn't know about him (i.e., that he was never voted into the big office and only served 2 1/2 years!). He's the first president that I have actual memories of from television and the news, and I recall my mom used to talk about his dog, Liberty...and the hilarious skits on Saturday Night Live. :)

Oh, and FYI, President Bush has deemed tomorrow a Federal holiday of sorts, in memory of Mr. Ford, so no mail will be delivered on the 2nd. My folks were not aware of that, either.

I'm pretty sure that we didn't display the flag on my DH's work truck in the appropriate manner according to the the U.S. Flag Code (the staff not secured to the chassis or the right fender), but our hearts were in the right place. From '02 and '03 9-Elevens....(as always, if the pics don't load right away, maybe try reloading :])

{{gwi:171056}}

{{gwi:171057}}

{{gwi:171058}}

Brenda

• comettose
    17 years ago

The code has some leeway when it comes to respect. I think the DHs truck is great. DH is cute too! CT

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

DH says, "Aw, shucks, and thanks!", CT (and so do I!). :D

Teamster Cutie's wife