Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PLEASE Help - goldfish pond with light oil film

Posted by spider z5 IN (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 08 at 15:50

I have a goldfish pond 6'x12'x36" went to clean the filter and seen a light oil film on it, could anyone tell me what I can do to get it out. I have 9 fish' that has been in there for about 2 weeks,I finished my pond about 5 weeks ago.
Thanks - spider

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PLEASE Help - goldfish pond with light oil film

If you add water to your pond and cause it to overflow the oil film will run-off too. If you need to add a lot of water remember to add some de-chlor to the pond first. Paper towels at the site of the spill-way will help catch the oil so it isn't so much on the stones and plants you have around the pond.

The oil source may be from decomposing material in your pond, your pump(YIKES!) or using something like a chainsaw too close to the pond. On rare occasion it is due to a toxic neighbour. Find the source if you can.
C3D

o
RE: PLEASE Help - goldfish pond with light oil film

I see you have your answer on the other side and all is well. Glad things worked out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here