Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

Sister Having Surgery Tomorrow

ademink
17 years ago

Well, though I normally post weird and gross stuff...LOL...this is actually a serious post! Some of this is a tiny bit graphic so don't read if you're a puker. ;)

I have a younger sister named Kristin who is a severe epileptic (34 y/o). Tomorrow morning at 5:30, she'll be going in for brain surgery.

They are going to implant an electromagnetic device into her chest, run wires up her neck, drill holes in her skull and implant wires into her brain. The device emits electromagnetic impulses and the hope is that it will minimize her seizure activity. They have used a very similar device w/ Parkinson's patients and had good success.

She is part of a clinical trial and so we won't know for the next 6 months if her device is on or not. This is to do the whole placebo thing. At the time when we DO know it is on and it can be adjusted, we'll see if it makes a difference.

She has been on heavy duty medication for many, many years (head injury at 4 caused the seizuring due to scar tissue forming/growing on her brain). The medications just aren't cutting it any more and there are really none left for her to try.

Anyway, please remember Kristin in your prayers throughout the day tomorrow. The whole procedure will be around 12 hours so we are talking a pretty big deal. She is really upset b/c they also have to shave her head...gorgeous waist length hair. Even though the surgery is very serious, she is most upset about her hair...you know how that goes. :) Being the doll that she is, it is being donated to Locks of Love. :)

Anyway, I will keep you posted as I get a chance and appreciate your prayers!

Thanks,

Andrea

Comments (34)

• sockmonkeyz6
    17 years ago

Absolutely! Best of luck to your sister. Prayers on their way!
    Debbie

• gw:obsessed-nj
    17 years ago

Glad to add my prayers for your sister! She is a sweetheart to help a child possibly going through similar circumstances by donating her hair. Obviously a beautiful person with or without hair! Good Luck!
    Linda

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

My thoughts and prayers will be with Kristin and your family tomorrow. I hope the trial is a success and she is one who's device in turned on and she will have immediate relief of her seizures.
    I'll bet her reward for her kind act of donating her hair will be even more beautiful hair than before! :)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

Strange how when we are facing the most tramatic experiences we try to focus on other things so it seems we have some control left. Your sister was able to make that beautiful hair so much more important than just a loss. I will be thinking of her tomorrow and in the future. I hope the trial is a resounding success. Sandy

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

andrea, whole lot of best wishes to all of your family and especially your sis!

• norah_s
    17 years ago

Wow, Andrea, that's heavy-duty. I'll certainly pray for your sister's safety during the procedure, and also that it will benefit her in the future.

Sharon

• gagee05
    17 years ago

andrea, i have a friend who had uncontrollable seisures, even with meds. he went to the univ. of wa. and had surgery done that took away the seisures to just a twitching in one of his hands occasionally, it sure was a blessing for him. it has been at least eight to ten yrs. ago now. i will be praying for your sister that her outcome is just as wonderful! pam

• youreit
    17 years ago

We've started a circle for your sister here in N. California, Andrea! We'll be thinking not only of Kristin, but your whole family, as well. Wish I could give you all a big hug right now.

I've heard and read such great things about those impulse machines! I hope she gets the real thing, too.

Kristin's hair donation brings tears to my eyes. Bless her heart.

Brenda

• zinniachick
    17 years ago

Standing by, Andrea.

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you everyone!!! Just got back from the hospital and she is in surgery now. They took her in at around 8:30 and she will be approx. 12 hours. I'll keep you posted as it progresses. The neurosurgeon came in to talk to her and she said, "this whole thing is in your hands and on your shoulders...I certainly hope you're a morning person!".

LOL!

• gardens1948
    17 years ago

Prayers for Kristen and you and your family as well.

Happy thoughts!

Ann

• chickadeedeedee
    17 years ago

Prayers from the northern Ohio front as well !

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, she is out 2.5 hours early and they said the surgery went REALLY well! They couldn't believe how quickly and smoothly it went. WHOOHOOO!! Thanks for all of the prayers - they worked! :)

Will post more later. *HUGS* to everyone

• jeanner
    17 years ago

That is wonderful news!!!!!

I do hope she gets relief soon - I can only imagine how tough it is too live with such a disability and what a life altering remedy this could be.

Good luck to you all!

• sockmonkeyz6
    17 years ago

Really great news! I hope her life is a breeze from now on! Keep us posted! Hugs right back!
    Debbie

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

Thank God all went well! Waiting to hear more good news as she recovers.
    How long is this trial and do you know when she will know if hers is on and/or helping? :)

17 years ago

Yeeeesssssssss!!! Great news, Andrea! I'll keep praying for Kristin's quick recovery and that she's NOT in the placebo group! Tossin' in an extra little prayer that her beautiful hair is back down to her waist by the time she finds out in six months! :)
    Linda

• norah_s
    17 years ago

Awesome news, Andrea! I've been thinking of her over the course of the day.

Please keep us updated on her progress.

Sharon

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just got back from seeing her a bit ago and she is doing great! She actually looks amazing bald..go figure. LOL She's so beautiful and she can pull it off. She said she thinks she's going to stay short b/c she really likes it....and that's not all she said....LOL......

She's on serious codeine and she was HYSTERICAL! LOL You'd normally never hear a foul word out of her mouth and this girl was cussing like a sailor, talking about how hot the intern surgeons were and asking everyone if they wanted to cuss with her! rotflol It was sooooooo funny. I can't even begin to type it all but it was definitely some great material to tuck away and pull out when she's recovered and needs a good "roasting"! :D

Thanks everyone for your continued prayers and thoughts. I let her know that a bunch of people she didn't even know were behind her - all the way from California to the East Coast! Linda, I also am reaaaaaaaaally hoping and praying that she isn't in the placebo group.

• sheepco
    17 years ago

More prayers from MN.

17 years ago

Oops! Dear God, please disregard my addendum and don't let Kristin's hair grow any longer than she wants it (after she comes down off her codeine high, that is)LOL! I empathize with her reaction to it...I took it once in the ER and went from serious pain to uncontrollable giggles and total inability to stand upright, let alone use crutches..had to be wheeled out. :) Think I'll stick to aspirin! Still praying for her,
    Linda

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

*itching just thinking about codeine*

thank you, andrea, for taking the time to keep us posted! wonderful news and i am sure it will keep getting better from here.

speaking from experience, it is amazing how light your head feels when you get that waist length hair cut. mine is very fine, yet i couldn't believe the difference.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

Funny how everyone reacts differently to drugs like codeine. I get just as much benefit from a couple of asprin but those upset my stomach sometimes. Knocking me out for surgery becomes a major problem. Maybe her reaction is a good thing? Means she can get along with less?
    I rejoice the surgery went well and suggest you find one of those little headwarmers they put on bald babies anymore. :D Sandy

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

what a great idea, sandy! it is a great excuse to wear those wild hats that you don't wear b/c it would mess up your hair. and let's not forget it is sunburn weather.

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

Hi Andrea! I just checked in first time since Saturday, and I'm praying in reverse for your sister. I'm glad she's doing so well.

You must get her a Wide-Rimmed Red Hat.

:) Mary
    *Hey! If you're dutch, so is she! Tell her your dutch friend is praying for her!*

• youreit
    17 years ago

Sorry I'm so late checking in on Kristin's progress, Andrea! I'm just glad that it's good news I'm reading! Went out of town for 2 nights, and I've been worried sick.

Yeah, a red hat would be great! She could join us in the Red Hat Society. :)

Best wishes for a quick recovery and a prescription for codeine. LOL

Brenda

• chickadeedeedee
    17 years ago

So happy that your sister is doing well, Andrea! :-)

Happiness, good health and blessings to you and yours from me and mine.

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kristin comes home tonight from the hospital. She's doing well and the doctors said she is recovering at a good pace! I think I'm going to get her one of those beanies w/ the whirligigs on top. LOL That ought to divert attention, eh? ;)

• youreit
    17 years ago

Wow!! That's amazing that she gets to come home so soon, Andrea! I've heard that on average, hospital stays are based on hours of surgery, i.e., 12 hours of surgery = 12 days in the hospital.

Love the whirligig hat idea! LOL

Brenda

• chickadeedeedee
    17 years ago

Awesome news! :-)

I believe hugs are due all around!

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

Wow, how wonderful for Kristin & family....visits at home are soooooooo much better!

((((clapping...clapping...))))

17 years ago

So glad Kristin is home again (bet she is, too!)and doing so well! I'll keep praying her device is "on" and that it helps! Best to you all! Whirligig beanie is too funny!
    Linda

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

yes!

• sheepco
    17 years ago

Great news! How's it going with the beanie?

More prayers >>>> from MN!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES