Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanner_gw

Need to vent! And I really am evil!

jeanner
15 years ago

There is someone on Ebay that is using one of my pictures in his listing for honey locust. On top of that they didn't copy it, they are linking to it so they are using my bandwidth (which I have to pay for) everytime someone views the item. As far as I can tell, none of the pictures that he is using are his, they are all links to other websites. And to top it off, they are using Activa software to disable the right-click on the mouse to protect anyone from copying THEIR pictures ! The text under the picture is ' ...Trees provide food: Having a wide variety of trees that provide seeds, nuts and fruit for wildlife to eat is one way to increase your success in attracting wildlife. although artificial bird feeders can supplement naturally occurring foods, they can attract unwanted pests such as pigeons, Canada geese, squirrels, and even rats.' - ever seen a Canadian goose at a feeder??????

I tried to report it to Ebay but they only seem to care if they copied it from another seller. I send the seller an email to tell them to get it off their listing .... and I put a message across the picture in big red letters letting anyone who views it that is being used without my permission.

Heres the picture ...

{{gwi:171326}}

Arrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .......

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the listing

Comments (7)

• chickadeedeedee
    15 years ago

I e mailed the seller....

Evil Me :-)

• comettose
    15 years ago

Me too - told them to quit stealing bandwidth and using their own photos is part of doing business - quit being a sleaze. The nerve. Way to go putting up the message on your photo. What I wonder - where did they link the photo from - here on the pond forum. Personally Jean - I wish you would mark your photos with your signature and copyright mark. Most in my bird group do it.

On the plus side (if there is one) - your photos are worth stealing because they are fantastic. They are also worth protecting. I would not be surprised if they have been used before and you would not know it. Stealing bandwidth adds insult to injury. That sleaze is making money off your hard work without cutting you in on the profits. To top it off she/he promotes NOT feeding the birds. Grrrrrr!

• annedickinson
    15 years ago

I just emailed the seller too.
    Anne

• youreit
    15 years ago

You really are NOT evil, Jean!! Cripes, someone was using your property without asking first. I'd be out there with a shovel, getting my property back. :D

Ahhhh, I just unloaded a shovelful into Toma's inbox. *evil giggle*

Brenda

• maryo_nh
    15 years ago

I can't find Toma's inbox! I tried to leave e-Bay feedback, I thought that would be a nice touch, but i would have to buy something first. Bummer.

Jean, you get going on that copyright and name stamp!

:) Mary

• jeanner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ahhh, you guys are the greatest! The auction in the link above has ended but they have several others ... and amazingly enough, the picture is no longer included :^) Of course I didn't get a reply to my message but I really didn't expect to.

I guess I should put some kind of name stamp on my pictures, but these days it is so easy to remove them with software unless they go right through the middle of the bird. I'm not real thrilled about having my name on them so maybe just an email address??? The resolution and size of the pictures that I post negates using them in any printed format. If they hadn't linked to the pictures I wouldn't have known they were using it but I get stats from my host on referring urls so the ebay url's were quite obvious. What's interesting is some really old GW posts occassionally show up too. And I get hits on a really old website that I did with wildflower pictures and I have never posted anything from it but someone finds them on google.

Ah well, I feel better now :^)

• youreit
    15 years ago

Mary, I clicked on toma*sgarden under "Meet the seller." From there, I found the "Contact member" link on the left side, where I was able to send him a message right from eBay...but you have to log in to do it.

Jean, I'm still seeing your image on that expired auction link above! :( There is the digital watermarking option, which is undetectable, or you could make the pictures Applets. I think it would be fine if you used "jandbk.org" as the copyright, or just "jandbk".

I noticed that after right-clicking on the image and getting the Auctiva message, I can right- and left-click (at the same time) on the "ok" button, and still get the image properties that way....let alone just viewing the source from the menu bar.

Brenda